Start by marking “Gullah Home Cooking the Daufuskie Way: Smokin' Joe Butter Beans, Ol' 'Fuskie Fried Crab Rice, Sticky-Bush Blackberry Dumpling, and Other Sea Island Favorites” as Want to Read:

If there's one thing we learned coming up on Daufuskie," remembers Sallie Ann Robinson, "it's the importance of good, home-cooked food." In this enchanting book, Robinson presents the delicious, robust dishes of her native Sea Islands and offers readers a taste of the unique, West African-influenced Gullah culture still found there.

Living on a South Carolina island accessi
Published April 7th 2003 by University of North Carolina Press

To ask other readers questions about Gullah Home Cooking the Daufuskie Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gullah Home Cooking the Daufuskie Way

Jodi Lower
Feb 22, 2017 Jodi Lower rated it it was ok
Nice history. Recipes nothing special if you already know how to cook anything well.
Linda Harkins
Jun 20, 2013 Linda Harkins rated it really liked it
Sallie Ann Robinson's historical and anecdotal information tends to eclipse her recipes! I'm learning more about Gullah culture of the low country in South Carolina, including its African roots. I may attempt her recipes for seafood rice, roadside blueberry biscuits, and thick-crust peach cobbler since blueberries and peaches are coming into season in these parts. Most of her Gullah cooking includes interesting ingredients that I don't use such as smoked neck bones,pig tails, pigs' feet, chitlin ...more
Katie
Apr 07, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more than just a cookbook; it is a memoir of growing up on Daufuskie Island in the Gullah culture in the 70's. Along with the yummy recipes using ingredients they grew and hunted themselves, the author details her family's story of life on the island. She was a student of Pat Conroy's when he was a teacher there, an experience that inspired his book The Water Is Wide. I enjoyed reading it over 2 days while staying on Daufuskie.
V.L. Brunskill
I had the pleasure of attending a home cooking event where Sallie Ann Robinson cooked up a simple,and scrumptious meal. I learned so much about Gullah traditions and was thrilled to learn that Sallie was a student of Pat Conroy's on Daufuskie Island. She makes an appearance in his book 'Water is Wide'. Sallie is a gifted historian, cook and instructor.
kirkesque
Aug 25, 2009 kirkesque rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-research
Some tasty recipes for things I hope to never have to cook nor eat. Baked possum, although sounds tasty, is not really a dish I want to try.

Other items I fully intend on cookin up in my just-north-of-Gullah-land kitchen.
Sleepless G
Nov 10, 2010 Sleepless G rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this Book. It makes me fatter than I already am. LOL! Intresting historical read also.
Wyntrnoire
Wyntrnoire rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it it was ok
Feb 23, 2010
Penny Nugent
Penny Nugent rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2013
♥Miyuki♥ Goco
♥Miyuki♥ Goco rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2009
Collette
Collette rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Diane Rosenblatt
Diane Rosenblatt rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2017
Mary Washington
Mary Washington rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Odette
Odette rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2009
Cindi
Cindi rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Heather Marsiglia
Heather Marsiglia rated it really liked it
May 18, 2009
Aberjhani
Aberjhani rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2008
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Dyan
Dyan rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Melina
Melina rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Ben Abbott
Ben Abbott rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Dale
Dale rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Ronna
Ronna rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2013
Matt Wire
Matt Wire rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2017
Ashley Fowler
Ashley Fowler rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2013
Born on Daufuskie Island, off the coasts of Georgia and South Carolina, Sallie Ann Robinson was among the students taught by Pat Conroy when the famous author stayed for a time on her now famous island. Robinson has grown in her own right into the author of two celebrated cookbooks and an accomplished chef.

Her culinary expertise has helped to preserve the food dishes for which her native island i
More about Sallie Ann Robinson...