Start by marking “Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies (Aspen Treatise Series)” as Want to Read:
Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies (Aspen Treatise Series)

Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies (Aspen Casebook Series)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This highly successful student treatise offers distinct advantages:
- thorough treatment of all areas of constitutional law covered in both beginning and advanced courses
- direct, unambiguous identification of the issues
- takes a neutral approach that examines all sides of constitutional law debates
- presents both the doctrines and the underlying policy issues of the law,
Paperback, Third Edition, 1327 pages
Published July 26th 2006 by Aspen Publishers (first published April 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Constitutional Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constitutional Law

Margaret Zhang
May 14, 2013 Margaret Zhang rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Professor Robert Reinstein, Temple University Law School
Excellent cases and commentary.
Keata138
I relied completely on this book for class and it didn't let me down - it was infinitely better than the assigned book. His Barbri lectures (though terribly slow) are also really helpful.

He even tells jokes: Why are seagulls called seagulls? Because if they flew over the bay, they'd be called bagels!
Chrys
A must if you are studying constitutional law. Very clear explanations, and definitely saved me while I was studying for my constitutional law final. It is comprehensive and has most of the cases you will need to know, except for the most recent ones such as the health care and gay marriage cases.
Kathryn
It was everything I was told it would be and more. It is a particularly good study guide/ companion to Constitutional Law because it is clear and (believe it or not from its length) concise. It spends just the right amount of time on background information and key cases.
Kathy Choi
Chemerinsky is the best constitutional law professor in the country. This book is used for con law classes across the nation - great reference. He is an amazing professor and any student that has a chance to take a class with him should!
Christine Gilbert
This is a pretty good intro to US Constitutional law. At times I felt it could be written better - and I certainly think there's a bias in the writing, but overall a good historical introduction.
Valerie Sherman
Bad. One of my least favorite case books ever. After page 1,000, Chemerinsky's page editors are asleep at the wheel. Seriously, "Fist Amendment?" Howabout FIRST Amendment? With an R??
Pete
man was this a big book. was it really necessary to include the same cases in different sections? could he just have referred the reader to the case, rather than reprinting them?
Erin
What I've learned from this book...so far, the scope of Congress's commerce power. Is the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 constitutional? I can't wait to find out!
Bexy Ross
This is an amazing book... If you have any interest in learning about Constitutional Law this would teach you without having to go to law school!
Rex
The course I took dealt with only the first half of the book (it is a very large book). The cases were well edited. I recommend the textbook.
Margaret
TOO BIG! Most of my classmates tore chapters out of the book rather than carry the whole thing to class. I opted for back pain.
Tamara Bennett
used it in const law class as undergrad. my 1st experience analyzing case law from this bk. loved it.
Yousef M
A book of biblical proportions. It will probably have its own religious following within a few years.
Elizabeth
It was a good con law book. Laid out in an easier to read fashion with good explanation of the cases.
Alec
Dec 05, 2007 Alec rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Self-hating Law Students
Not only was the physical book a piece of shit, it was poorly edited and densely written. Bleh.
John Lewis
Dicta is dry and not helpful. Save the several hundred dollars and pull up the cases elsewhere.
Rex
I used this in connection with the Chemerinsky's casebook and found this volume to be very useful.
Jade Navarre Valdivieso
Very good, I really liked it. Excellent reference resource.
Lexi
Always fun to have a class where the professor hates the textbook...
Alec
Dec 05, 2007 Alec rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Law students
It rendered the textbook redundant and unnecessary.
Jennifer.schiffner
Bah, conlaw. a treatise AND the actual text. oy.
Valerie Sherman
Got me through Con Law with Siegel. Nuff said.
Rachel
I <3 Erwin!
Casey
Liberally biased interpretation of the constitution, oxymoron to say the least!!!
Alex
Aug 27, 2007 Alex rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Legal Scholars
Shelves: haveread
Amazing
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Syke
Syke marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • The Law of Torts: Examples & Explanations
  • Property
  • Constitutional Law (University Casebook Series)
  • The Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible: A Comprehensive System for Attacking the Logical Reasoning Section of the LSAT
  • Black's Law Dictionary
  • The Curmudgeon's Guide to Practicing Law
  • Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges
  • Understanding Criminal Law
  • The Buffalo Creek Disaster: How the survivors of one of the worst disasters in coal-mining history brought suit against the coal company--and won
  • Storming the Court: How a Band of Yale Law Students Sued the President--And Won
  • The Bramble Bush: The Classic Lectures on the Law and Law School
  • Plain English for Lawyers
  • Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams
  • Organic Chemistry
  • The Majesty of the Law: Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice
  • An Introduction to Legal Reasoning
  • Discrete Mathematics with Applications
  • Chemistry: The Central Science
The Conservative Assault on the Constitution The Case Against the Supreme Court Federal Jurisdiction Enhancing Government: Federalism for the 21st Century Constitutional Law: 2011 Case Supplement