Start by marking “Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies (Aspen Treatise Series)” as Want to Read:
Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies (Aspen Treatise Series)

Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies (Aspen Casebook Series)

This highly successful student treatise offers distinct advantages:
- thorough treatment of all areas of constitutional law covered in both beginning and advanced courses
- direct, unambiguous identification of the issues
- takes a neutral approach that examines all sides of constitutional law debates
- presents both the doctrines and the underlying policy issues of the law,
Paperback, Third Edition, 1327 pages
Published July 26th 2006 by Aspen Publishers (first published April 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Constitutional Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constitutional Law

Margaret Zhang
May 14, 2013 Margaret Zhang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Professor Robert Reinstein, Temple University Law School
Excellent cases and commentary.
Keata138
May 23, 2012 Keata138 rated it really liked it
Shelves: law
I relied completely on this book for class and it didn't let me down - it was infinitely better than the assigned book. His Barbri lectures (though terribly slow) are also really helpful.

He even tells jokes: Why are seagulls called seagulls? Because if they flew over the bay, they'd be called bagels!
Kathryn
Jun 16, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
It was everything I was told it would be and more. It is a particularly good study guide/ companion to Constitutional Law because it is clear and (believe it or not from its length) concise. It spends just the right amount of time on background information and key cases.
Chrys
Dec 14, 2013 Chrys rated it it was amazing
A must if you are studying constitutional law. Very clear explanations, and definitely saved me while I was studying for my constitutional law final. It is comprehensive and has most of the cases you will need to know, except for the most recent ones such as the health care and gay marriage cases.
Kathy Choi
Jun 18, 2008 Kathy Choi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chemerinsky is the best constitutional law professor in the country. This book is used for con law classes across the nation - great reference. He is an amazing professor and any student that has a chance to take a class with him should!
John Lewis
Dicta is dry and not helpful. Save the several hundred dollars and pull up the cases elsewhere.
Christine
Aug 31, 2009 Christine rated it liked it
This is a pretty good intro to US Constitutional law. At times I felt it could be written better - and I certainly think there's a bias in the writing, but overall a good historical introduction.
Valerie Sherman
Bad. One of my least favorite case books ever. After page 1,000, Chemerinsky's page editors are asleep at the wheel. Seriously, "Fist Amendment?" Howabout FIRST Amendment? With an R??
Jesse
Aug 20, 2016 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saved me in 1L con law.
Margaret
Dec 20, 2010 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TOO BIG! Most of my classmates tore chapters out of the book rather than carry the whole thing to class. I opted for back pain.
Erin
What I've learned from this book...so far, the scope of Congress's commerce power. Is the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 constitutional? I can't wait to find out!
Tamara Bennett
Nov 05, 2013 Tamara Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
used it in const law class as undergrad. my 1st experience analyzing case law from this bk. loved it.
Rex
Apr 24, 2011 Rex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
The course I took dealt with only the first half of the book (it is a very large book). The cases were well edited. I recommend the textbook.
Rachel
Apr 07, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I <3 Erwin!
Chijioke Ahuchogu
Sep 02, 2015 Chijioke Ahuchogu rated it it was amazing
Not even a lawyer or aspiring to be one.. One of the best books I've read on any technical subject.
Jennifer.schiffner
Bah, conlaw. a treatise AND the actual text. oy.
Bexy Ross
Mar 25, 2008 Bexy Ross rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book... If you have any interest in learning about Constitutional Law this would teach you without having to go to law school!
Alex
Aug 27, 2007 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Legal Scholars
Shelves: haveread
Amazing
Pete
Dec 20, 2009 Pete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
man was this a big book. was it really necessary to include the same cases in different sections? could he just have referred the reader to the case, rather than reprinting them?
Yousef M
Dec 05, 2010 Yousef M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: law, reference
A book of biblical proportions. It will probably have its own religious following within a few years.
Alec
Dec 05, 2007 Alec rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Self-hating Law Students
Not only was the physical book a piece of shit, it was poorly edited and densely written. Bleh.
Elizabeth
May 31, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
It was a good con law book. Laid out in an easier to read fashion with good explanation of the cases.
Pulkit Gupta
Pulkit Gupta rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2009
Dave Sticher
Dave Sticher rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2010
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2016
Bob Larson
Bob Larson rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Julianne Park
Julianne Park rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Adrianne Parks
Adrianne Parks rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
  • Property (Aspen Casebooks)
  • The Law of Torts: Examples & Explanations
  • Constitutional Law (University Casebook Series)
  • Black's Law Dictionary
  • Trial Techniques
  • The Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible: A Comprehensive System for Attacking the Logical Reasoning Section of the LSAT
  • The Curmudgeon's Guide to Practicing Law
  • Understanding Criminal Law
  • Typography for Lawyers
  • Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges
  • The Bramble Bush: The Classic Lectures on the Law and Law School
  • The Buffalo Creek Disaster: How the survivors of one of the worst disasters in coal-mining history brought suit against the coal company--and won
  • Storming the Court: How a Band of Yale Law Students Sued the President--And Won
  • Plain English for Lawyers
  • Closed Chambers: The Rise, Fall, and Future of the Modern Supreme Court
  • America's Constitution: A Biography
  • Fictional Worlds: Traditions in Narrative and the Age of Visual Culture, Vols 1-4 (Storytelling on Screen)
  • Discrete Mathematics with Applications