Start by marking “The Shopping Basket” as Want to Read:
The Shopping Basket

The Shopping Basket

Steven is sent out for groceries on to the mean street of the city with only a shopping basket for protection. There are several shady characters about who are offering to lighten the load of the basket by helping themselves to his provisions! Stephen's having none of it and with the help of some of the city's less attractive sights he outsmarts all of them and makes it ...more
Published October 15th 1992 by Red Fox (first published 1980)

Megan Chard
Nov 14, 2011 Megan Chard rated it it was amazing
The Shopping Basket by John Burningham is a wonderful book I remember from my childhood. It is about a young boy named Steven who is sent to the shop by his mum to buy some groceries. On the way home Steven faces a number of characters who want some of the items in his basket. Steven uses his quick wit to outsmart them, but will his mum be happy?

A great book to read to children in the foundation stage or key stage one. It can be used to create role plays, and as a starting point for children lea
Adele Last
This is a story about a young boy who is asked to go to the shop by his mother to collect a list of items including, among others, crisps, apples and doughnuts. The boy goes to the shop and picks up everything he has been asked to find but on the way back to his house he comes across a number of unfriendly characters who attempt to take away all of the boys food. The young boy is clever, however, and comes up with methods to make the characters leave him alone. One of example of this is making a ...more
Emma Long
Jul 29, 2012 Emma Long rated it liked it
When Steven's mother asks him to go to the shop you would think that nothing could go wrong. However when Steven goes on this errand to get six eggs, five bananas, four apples, three oranges, two doughnuts and a packet of crisps, he is confronted by a variety of animals all demanding their share. Confronted by a menacing monkey, a burly bear and a petulant pig, Steven has to outwit them all. Arriving home a little later than his mother expected and with a slightly lighter shopping basket.

This st
Jaide Simran
Nov 12, 2012 Jaide Simran rated it really liked it
‘The Shopping Basket’ by John Burningham is fantastic children's story time book. It is about a boy named Steven who has been sent on a shopping errand by his Mum. He has been given a list of groceries to purchase from the shop but on his way there, on the street, he is confronted by six different animals demanding a selection of his items. Luckily, he manages escape by tricking each of the animals and arrives home just in time for tea with the majority of the shopping.

I think this is an excell
Sophie Harman
Feb 15, 2012 Sophie Harman rated it liked it
My mentor asked me to have a read of this book as we are hoping to plan some lessons around it. The shopping basket is a very old book written in 1980, I remember reading it as a child myself.
Steven's mother asks him to go to the shop and get six eggs, five bananas, four apples, three oranges, two doughnuts and a packet of crisps! On Steven's journey home he is faced with many different animals trying to take his basket, he uses an item of his shopping each time to challenge them. Steven hurries
Naz
Jun 06, 2012 Naz rated it liked it
I read this book to my year 2 class before we started our lesson on instruction writing. This is a very good book for pupils to be introduced on how to write a shopping list. The story is about a boy who runs an errand for his mother, this involves the boy, called Steven, to buy the shopping by making a trip to the local shop. Except on the way back Steven meets many different animals demanding his shopping. At this point you cannot help but create all the different voices for each animal which ...more
Fiona Kerr
Jul 03, 2012 Fiona Kerr rated it liked it
This is an interesting book as it it involves humour. It is also impressive because it involves the mathematical concepts of subtraction which makes this book cross-curiicular. The book allows children to laugh. The book can be used as a traet for children because it is quite fuuny.
Natalie
Nov 02, 2016 Natalie rated it did not like it
I didn't enjoy this book. I don't understand why the animals were so aggressive towards Steven, and why he was so horrible to them back. I don't think this sends a good message to EYFS children about sharing and being kind and friendly. It is quite an old book, and I know some adults who find it hilarious, but personally I didn't enjoy it at all. It is a 'maths' based book (subtracting shopping items), but I think there are far better books for that purpose such as Ten in the bed, or Handa's ...more
Michael Watts
Jun 27, 2014 Michael Watts rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nursery, eyfs, funny, animals
This book tells the story of a young boy who is sent out shopping by his mother. On his way home he encounters many obstacles, in the form of unusual animals, each of whom he outsmarts to get away. Unfortunately he uses up many items of his shopping in the process and gets home without the full list.

This book is really funny and absurd and has great illustrations. It is fun to read, and just repetitive enough for children to get involved in the refrains without being at all boring. I love the en
Isabella
Jun 22, 2015 Isabella rated it really liked it
Steven is asked by his mother to pop down to the shop to buy the foods she has listed and deliver a note. On his walk home he encounters a number of threatening animals each demanding their share of the contents of his basket. Steven cleverly outwits them all but arrives home a little later than expected and with lighter shopping basket.

This story is very suitable for early years children and can be used across the curriculum. The items in Stevens shopping basket – six eggs, five bananas, four a
Alex Butler
Jun 24, 2015 Alex Butler rated it it was amazing
This book is a stark look at the realities of inner city living and a coming of age story as one by learns the dangers of what can happen on the other side of his front door.

Steven is sent out by his mother to go to the shops to pick up a specific list of groceries. Steven picks up the items "six eggs, five bananas, 4 apples...." Though on his way home Steven encounters a number of animals trying to take his shopping. Steven must have his wits about him to outsmart the thieves.

I have seen this b
Fatma Bodhee
Sep 22, 2013 Fatma Bodhee rated it liked it
Steven the main character in the story is given a shopping list by his mother. He has to buy six eggs, five bananas, four apples, three oranges, two doughnuts and one packet of crisps. On his way home from the grocery store, Steven meets several animals who want to eat from his shopping basket. He fights them off and manages to get home with most of his shopping.

It is a picture book which can be used for a EYFS numeracy activity to help children count one less. It can also be used as a literacy
Jennie
Mar 17, 2015 Jennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
The shopping basket is a great story about a boy called Steven who is sent shopping but the trip doesn't quite go smoothly.

I have seen this used in both a reception class and Year 1. Reception used it to introduce list writing and had a shop in the role play area encouraging the use of money. Year 1 used it to retell a story and again write a list.

It is a lovely funny story that children really enjoy!
Fanficfan44
Feb 14, 2015 Fanficfan44 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of my daughter's favorite books. She loved the fact that the main character shows independence and helps himself rather than looking for someone to rescue him from the predicaments he encounters on his trip from the store to home. I think this would be a wonderful book for any parent interested in raising free-range kids or basically kids not afraid of everything they encounter.
Mohammad
Oct 30, 2013 Mohammad rated it liked it
The story started out interesting and rather clever at points as Steven (the main character boy) encountered different animals wanting to get the food in his basket. However, the ending was a little disappointing. When he arrived home, the mother just asked him what took him so long. Hmmm... Not sure if I missed a point there or not.
The Brothers
Steven is sent on a errand to the store to get some food. On the way home he is confronted by a variety of animals who want what's in his basket. Using clever techniques of distraction, he manages to outwit each animal.

Fun illustrations.
Ashley Allen
I would use this book to talk about counting. I would count all the items the boy was getting from the store. I would also use this book to talk about how the young boy solved the problems with the animals that watned to take the food he had in his basket.
Rachel
Jan 10, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I guess you could teach a lesson about bullying or cleverness from this, but I found nothing that endeared me to any of the characters, in fact I found them all rather grating. I was relieved to finally finish the story and close the book. Not my style of children's read-alouds.
Michael Fitzgerald
Very disappointing. What happened to the note to number 25? No mention whatsoever. Another fault is the punctuation of "Me slow!" (and similar) which makes no sense - I believe it is intended to be "Me? Slow?"
Azriana Johnson
Apr 11, 2013 Azriana Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math
This book is great to build children's math skills-counting. The students can add all the items he has in the beginning of the book and count down to figure out how many items he has in the end.
Bree
May 14, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it
Notes:
the way to and from the store is plagued with bullies in the form of various animals who threaten to pound the boy; he outwits them all with food
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Jade Grzesik
Jade Grzesik rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Michelle Gibson
Michelle Gibson rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Zoe Rawlings
Zoe Rawlings rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Louise Parkinson
Louise Parkinson rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2011
Josias
Josias rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Married to Helen Oxenbury They have one son and two daughters.

John Burningham was born in 1936 in Farnham, Surrey, and attended the alternative school, Summerhill. In 1954 he spent two years travelling through Italy, Yugoslavia and Israel, working at a variety of jobs.

From 1956-1959, he studied at the Central School of Art, after which he designed posters fo
More about John Burningham...