Start by marking “Steel Tiger (Wings of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Steel Tiger (Wings of War, #2)

Steel Tiger (Wings of War #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Vietnam, 1967. America's most daring fighter pilots faced their greatest challenge in a desperate war. Now on his second tour, Major Court Bannister is hunted by a new, more determined breed of enemy and haunted by his brother's shocking act of treason. Captain Toby Parker fights a personal battle against alcohol, while flying on the edge of disaster, and Lieutenant Colone ...more
Published August 31st 2004 by iBooks (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Steel Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steel Tiger

Jim A
Book two of the five book series featuring Court Bannister as a Vietnam war fighter pilot.

The problem is I know there are another three books after this one and therefore there is absolutely no suspense to air combat sequences. Although they are well written, he was there, they do get to be a bit repetitious over the course of the book.

The end of the book leaves no doubt that there will be a sequel, something important 20 years ago when it was written. I generally really don't like books that l
Benjo
This is one of the best air novels I've read and one of the best ones about Vietnam. Although it is critical of the American policy and conduct during the war it was able to tell the about horrors, rejections, bravery and valor of the men and women who served there.
Doug Meyn
Agree with one reviewer about too many threads left hanging at the end, but for pure page-turning entertainment this one is a winner. Detailed information in some parts of the book get a bit tedious, but overall a very good read.
Scott
I originally picked up this book because a) it had F-4's and KC-135's on the cover and b) it was $0.50 at the local Goodwill store. I started reading it while waiting on my wife to finish her shopping. The opening sequence is in a MiG-21 piloted by a Soviet military "adviser" over Hanoi in the thick of the Vietnam War in 1967. That set the hook. The book went home with me and was my constant companion until I completed it.

I had never heard of the author, Mark Berent, or his collection of stories
Jetdrvr
Excellent entry in the series, with more to come. Berent captures the air war and the politics, both civilian and military, of the era in a classic fashion, which should be of great interest to anyone studying the air war in Vietnam. Although it is presented as fiction, and much of it is, much of it is also hard and brutal fact.

I hate this website. I finished it days ago and am now reading Eagle Station but can't for the life of me locate the field to change the title from being read to finished
William B.
Too good! Phantom Leader Is Next

Another great book by Mrk Berent. When I we in Vietnam. I didn't realize so many interesting things were happening
Ed Schmidt
Book two in a series called Rolling Thunder, Court Bannister washes himself out of any chance to get into astronaut training because he decided he wants to go back to SEA again and become the first ACE of the war. During one of his flights, he encounters a MIG pilot that appears to be a Russian. It then becomes almost an obsession to shoot down this pilot. He finds himself shot down and dug in hoping someone will rescue him.
Peter
Too long too slow.
James Morrissey
another GREAT book

another great job by Mark Berent our characters continue on in the their lives and careers during a very difficult time in the United States. Mark did it again and hit another one out of the park.
Ed Heiss
Fine Book

A great read. Accurate. Detailed without a lot of jargon. Well written and involving. I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.

Stefan Vucak
An innovative look into 'flying' a submarine, which Mark Berent pulls off superbly.
Christopher King
Didn't like the ending.
Too many threads just left hanging.
Heather Arena
Heather Arena marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Eric K.
Eric K. is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Gordondad2nine
Gordondad2nine is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Jack Fahey
Jack Fahey marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
C B
C B marked it as to-read
Carol Weidlich
Carol Weidlich marked it as to-read
Jose de Cura
Jose de Cura marked it as to-read
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Kay House
Kay House marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Robert Reagan
Robert Reagan marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Nerve Center (Dreamland, #2)
  • Thud Ridge: F-105 Thunderchief missions over Vietnam
  • Firebreak (Matt Pontowski, #1)
  • Cat and Mouse (Nathan Dixon, #5)
  • Thunder in the Deep (Jeffrey Fuller, #2)
  • Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton, #2)
  • Vortex
source: BN Nook Store

Meet the Author

MARK BERENT

Lt Col Mark E. Berent, USAF (Ret), was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He graduated from Cretin High
School and attended St. Thomas College in St. Paul, Minnesota. Later he graduated from Arizona State University under the Air Force Institute of Technology program with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Lt Col Berent began his Air
More about Mark Berent...

Wings of War (5 books)
  • Rolling Thunder (Wings of War, #1)
  • Phantom Leader (Wings of War, #3)
  • Eagle Station (Wings of War, #4)
  • Storm Flight (Wings of War, #5)
Rolling Thunder (Wings of War, #1) Phantom Leader (Wings of War, #3) Eagle Station (Wings of War, #4) Storm Flight (Wings of War, #5) Let's Kill The Dai Uy

“Message number 311920 Zulu. In the” 0 likes