Start by marking “Call Me By My True Names: The Collected Poems of Thich Nhat Hanh” as Want to Read:
Call Me By My True Names: The Collected Poems of Thich Nhat Hanh

Call Me By My True Names: The Collected Poems of Thich Nhat Hanh

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  258 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh is called "the monk who sees beyond life and death." On "Call Me by My True Names," listeners are provided two rare and intimate personal meetings with Hanh. This new audio collection includes Hanh in conversation, where he shares memories of childhood and how he started on his spiritual path, and a live recording of Hanh offering some of his fav ...more
Published January 1st 1996 by Parallax Press (first published September 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Call Me By My True Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call Me By My True Names

Maureen
Aug 13, 2008 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: buddhism
Thich Nhat Hanh's poetry is known for its haunting, lyrical quality. There can be no better way of conveying a sense of this than by reproducing the title poem here. Very highly recommended.

Please Call Me by My True Names

Don't say that I will depart tomorrow --
even today I am still arriving.

Look deeply: every second I am arriving
to be a bud on a Spring branch,
to be a tiny bird, with still-fragile wings,
learning to sing in my new nest,
to be a caterpillar in the heart of a flower,
to be a j
Tammy Marie Jacintho
As a truly compassionate man, Thich Nhat Hanh acts as bridge between the realm of art and the realm of self. In truth, barriers dissolve and the reader is left to contemplate that essence, that substance we might point to when our gaze turns inward.

What is that tenderness, that resiliency, that churning, that sorrow? It dwells in all of us. And so his poems, which are poems, call us back to each other. There is fierce love in these poems. And, against all odds, there is a real attempt to heal a
Melissa
Oct 20, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-and-plays
This was the very first book I read by Thích Nhãt Hanh and I will be reading more. This is not like other poetry books with pretty lines his poetry is raw and powerful. So many of these I had to stop after reading because it was just a lot to take in. Many of the poems are based on things he experienced or saw which makes these poems an emotional read.
Jo Harp
Jan 12, 2016 Jo Harp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
make me incredibly emotional. fabulously evocative.
Tim Desmond
Apr 01, 2015 Tim Desmond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A treasure of insight.
Aleksandra
Jun 03, 2013 Aleksandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book I read from end to end, but leave through looking for the right feeling. One feels so humble reading this book, and rightly so. I recommend pg 46 and 72. Some of the poems are very deeply disturbing, because of his experiences. Still haunted, you will return to seek beauty and wisdom in this book. "Every second I am arriving to be a bud on a new branch". This book is filled with hope, combined with horrible truths, it helps me bear reality and not lose idealism.
Phil
Nov 29, 2015 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked Hanh's prose writings about mindfulness and compassion. While I found some of his poems to be a little heavy-handed, overall,the sentiment is what you would expect from him and the poems reinforce his teachings. If not the best poetic tactician, Thich Nhat Hahn is certainly a good messenger and there are quite a few memorable pieces here.
Amy Wise
May 02, 2012 Amy Wise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist Monk and this is a collection of his beautiful poetry. Each poem is a window into his soul, his faith, his past and his ancestors. I really recommend this book of beautiful poetry.
Ivan Granger
Jun 02, 2012 Ivan Granger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, buddhism
Poetry by the beloved modern master Thich Nhat Hanh, exploring service and suffering, humanity and interbeing, breath and stillness, beauty and bliss.
Linda Le
Oct 12, 2010 Linda Le rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great selection of poems on days when u need to remind urself to have compassion
Marion
Sep 18, 2015 Marion rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, poetry
Beautiful.
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Sandra Krajeski
Sandra Krajeski marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jennifer Wolfe
Jennifer Wolfe is currently reading it
Feb 05, 2016
Rilan Rivera
Rilan Rivera marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Lourdes Cambridge
Lourdes Cambridge rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
GG
GG marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Ajsm53
Ajsm53 added it
Jan 24, 2016
Sonnet
Sonnet marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Chaynyth
Chaynyth marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Robby
Robby marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Emily Farhat
Emily Farhat marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Deanna Lavery
Deanna Lavery marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Russell Kemp
Russell Kemp rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Helen Denning
Helen Denning marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
janice
janice rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Thomas A.
Thomas A. marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
  • گلشن راز
  • The Enlightened Heart
  • Archeology of Violence
  • The Gateless Gate: The Classic Book of Zen Koans
  • Poems of the Masters: China's Classic Anthology of T'ang and Sung Dynasty Verse
  • On Love and Barley: Haiku of Basho
  • Dewdrops on a Lotus Leaf: Zen Poems of Ryokan
  • No Nature: New and Selected Poems
  • Japanese Death Poems: Written by Zen Monks and Haiku Poets on the Verge of Death
  • The Kabir Book: Forty-Four of the Ecstatic Poems of Kabir
  • I Asked For Wonder: A Spiritual Anthology
  • The Glance: Songs of Soul-Meeting
  • The Pleasantries of the Incredible Mulla Nasrudin
  • Shamanism, Colonialism, and the Wild Man: A Study in Terror and Healing
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...

“Earth will be safe when we feel in us enough safety.” 24 likes