Start by marking “The Big Show” as Want to Read:
The Big Show

The Big Show

From World Sports Headquarters in historic Bristol, Connecticut, comes the book that's more colorful than Dennis Rodman's hair. Keith Olbermann and Dan Patrick, the former tag-team partners of ESPN's award winning SportsCenter, mark for the ages their most unforgettable moments, which have transformed the art of sports broadcasting -- bringing what People magazine calls th ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by Atria Books (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Show, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Show

Chelsea
Dec 10, 2007 Chelsea rated it really liked it
This review is going to be less of a review, and more of me talking. You've been warned!

I hunted this book down because I read somewhere that Aaron Sorkin got a lot of his ideas for Sports Night from watching Keith and Dan on SportsCenter. And Sports Night being one of my favorite shows, and my sports mania still in full swing post-Red Sox victory, I figured I needed to get my hands on it.

And it's good. Very, very funny. It makes me cranky that I never actually watched SportsCenter when they wer
Kelly
Oct 17, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kelly by: ESPN
Back when sports was merely for entertainment rather than an all-encompassing lifestyle, Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman (yes, from MSNBC) were the hour of sports highlights to watch on Sunday nights at 11:00 pm (or the following Monday morning). Written in a conversational format, both Patrick and Olberman have unique fonts in order to follow the stories.

There is a chapter about how they logistically put the show together, which was humdrum when at the time, but probably ancient by today's stand
Tom Castello
Jun 01, 2013 Tom Castello rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Brutal. Just brutal. The first half is them talking about how difficult their job is, how great they are at it, and what to do to get into the business because they make it look so awesome, who wouldn't want to do it? I can't believe their egos fit in 300 pages.

Then Olbermann lists the top 100 players who should be in the baseball HOF and why. 100. Yeah. Patrick does his usual this is the worst travesty ever except its pretty good if you think about it flip-flop.

There is about 30 good pages of
Natalie
I liked parts of this book much more than others. The stories, the memories, the bloopers are all classic. Especially because I then went and youtubed them all and saw all the clips of exactly what Keith and Dan where talking about. But some of the lists were a bit slow and drawn out. I would have also liked more commentary about actually working FOR espn, and maybe even some perspective about the demise of the Big Show. Overall though, it's KO and DP, i mean, that's the bottom line. Obviously i ...more
Nathan Eilers
O, for the glory days of SportsCenter when I could actually watch the entire hour of sports highlights and enjoy them! There is no one in sports programming who is as good, clever, funny, and on point as Patrick and Olbermann. Thank goodness NBC picked them up.

That said, this book can appeal to only a small audience, namely those who loved ESPN in the mid-to-late nineties. Honestly, I haven't read this book in a long time and may never again. It's a fun read and not much else. Good for nostalgia
Robert
Nov 29, 2011 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No review per se, other than it's more of a discussion between Dan and Keith than an actual, written book.

Also, the copy I got off Amazon - for $3 - is not just signed by Olbermann, it's inscribed to someone. Nice to know one of Keith's friends has dumped this onto the market for little more than the cost of shipping.
David Gould
Keith Olbermann is very entertaining when discussing sports. Still not sure who Dan Patrick is, but he was mildly amusing also.

Two interesting facts: 1) if you want to be on camera, be on camera and 2) Lou Gehrig was dying of ALS for several years while he performed at the highest level in MLB (hence, his achievement, in Keith's view, far surpasses that of Cal Ripken, Jr.).
M Christopher
An amusing bit of ephemera for those who enjoyed Keith and Dan's years together on ESPN's "SportsCenter" and their separate careers afterwards. Especially good for baseball fans who enjoy Hall of Fame debates (there's a whole chapter on this), those who picked up some of their catchphrases (there's a chapter on this, too), or those interested in getting into sports broadcasting (ditto).
Bridget
Sep 06, 2011 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dan Patrick and Keith olbermann should just come together and makes babies.
Tamra
Nov 25, 2008 Tamra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funnier than I expected.
Rhonda
May 04, 2012 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I can read this over and over again because it brings me back to the good old days of Sportscenter.
Carrie
Aug 08, 2007 Carrie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I may have to Inter library loan this shit. I can't find it anywhere locally.
David-jacky Breech
Jul 22, 2013 David-jacky Breech rated it really liked it
For any sports fan that was around before ESPN this is the story of a life changing event when ESPN was created.
Beth Mechum
May 21, 2012 Beth Mechum rated it did not like it
Could be the worst book I've ever read - but what did I expect from a $2 Goodwill purchase?
Brad
Dec 03, 2016 Brad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get through the whole thing. Some interesting parts early, then, thud.
Mitchell Szczepanczyk
Mar 08, 2007 Mitchell Szczepanczyk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sports nuts
A very personal memoir / behind the scenes look at ESPN's Sportscenter circa 1997. Olbermann is a better writer than Patrick, and Olbermann's chapters are far more informative than Patrick's are.
Mike Wierzbicki
Aug 06, 2011 Mike Wierzbicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and interesting book written by two guys who were part of the golden years of Sportscenter.
Dave
Jun 03, 2014 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fluff to read when you're laid up at home. Funny in places, only a little bit revealing. I need to read something more highbrow tomorrow.
Michael
Dec 06, 2009 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
One of the easiest reads you could ever find, it's worth a read if you're interested in a career in sports broadcasting or were a huge ESPN fan when you were ten years old.
Matt Kelly
Dec 07, 2013 Matt Kelly rated it liked it
I was in college during the heyday of Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann hosting SportsCenter on Sunday nights. I miss those days.
Jefferson Coombs
Kind of a fun book. Essentially it is about how Sportscenter works and then a whole bunch of opinions form the two on various sports topics.
Zachary
Jan 07, 2011 Zachary rated it really liked it
This book is 14 years old but I just picked it up and read it. It's awesome. Two of the smartest and funniest guys of all time. SO many hilarious stories about athlete encounters!
angrykitty
omg i looooooved sportscenter when patrick and olbermann were on. i also have this on cassette....on a sort of side note.....i can't stand olbermann on msnbc.
Jerry Bolen
Jerry Bolen rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Jaedan
Jaedan rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2017
Sangay Sertshang
Sangay Sertshang rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2010
Brie
Brie rated it liked it
May 09, 2007
Chris Gath
Chris Gath rated it it was ok
Dec 24, 2008
  • ESPN: The Uncensored History
  • Everything They Had: Sports Writing
  • Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues
  • One on One: Behind the Scenes with the Greats in the Game
  • Hate Mail from Cheerleaders and Other Adventures from the Life of Reilly
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Sports Illustrated The Baseball Book
  • Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame? Baseball, Cooperstown, and the Politics of Glory
  • My Turn at Bat: The Story of My Life
  • Ty and The Babe: Baseball's Fiercest Rivals: A Surprising Friendship and the 1941 Has-Beens Golf Championship
  • Tim McCarver's Baseball for Brain Surgeons and Other Fans: Understanding and Interpreting the Game So You Can Watch It Like a Pro
  • Best Food Writing 2011
  • Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad
  • God Save the Fan: How Preening Sportscasters, Athletes Who Speak in the Third Person, and the Occasional Convicted Quarterback Have Taken the Fun Out of Sports (And How We Can Get It Back)
  • Meat Market: A Season Inside College Football's No. 1 Recruiting Machine
  • Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky
  • Miracle Man
  • Glory Road: My Story of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Championship and How One Team Triumphed Against the Odds and Changed America Forever
Keith Olbermann is an American news anchor, commentator, and radio sportscaster. He currently hosts Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC, an hour-long nightly newscast of five selected stories with commentary by Olbermann and guests. Starting with the 2007 NFL season, Olbermann also serves as co-host of NBC's Football Night in America with Bob Costas.
More about Keith Olbermann...