Start by marking “The Will to Meaning: Foundations and Applications of Logotherapy” as Want to Read:
The Will to Meaning: Foundations and Applications of Logotherapy

The Will to Meaning: Foundations and Applications of Logotherapy

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  1,180 ratings  ·  32 reviews
From the author of Man's Search for Meaning, one of the most influential works of psychiatric literature since Freud.

"Perhaps the most significant thinker since Freud and Adler," said The American Journal of Psychiatry about Europe's leading existential psychologist, the founder of logotherapy.
Published September 1st 1988 by Meridian/Plume (first published 1969)

Daniel Jordan
As one of my colleagues first suggested, Viktor Frankl's writings are actually philosophical even though he was a psychiatrist and neurologist by profession. While this book is clearly not a textbook on applied logotherapy, it does provide a good theoretical framework for logotherapy and is worth reading for that alone. It is less autobiographical than Man's Search for Meaning and may disappoint some who are looking for emotional impact. However, for those who are looking to deepen their underst ...more
Melinda
I finished reading Viktor Frankl's book "Man's Search for Meaning", and then started looking for more of his books to read. This books is EXCELLENT and I would recommend it for reading after "Man's Search for Meaning". I am already starting on a 2nd reading.

This book is more of an indepth explanation of Frankl's approach to psychology called "Logotherapy". The book is made up of a set of lectures given at SMU in 1966 by way of introduction and explanation of Logotherapy.

Logotherapy is based on t
Ezekiel Raiden
During my Psychology 202 class, I had to write a review of a psychology-related textbook as an essay. (It may have been an extra credit assignment, I don't quite remember; but honestly, for me "extra credit" is just another required assignment.) Here's that essay:

The Will to Meaning
Many advances in science and medicine—and particularly the medical sciences of the mind—come not as a fully formed revolution, but as a synthesis of prior thought, which transcends the boundaries of those thoughts and
Mahmoud Shehata
What a beautiful mind!
I've no doubt now that he is one of my heroes. For his life, his message and his struggle he deserves to stay in my mind forever.

This book is more in depth than his first book Man's Search for Meaning. It's highly advised to read the MSfM first to find this useful. With tons of wise insights into the human condition, this book packs a lot of wisdom.
I find so many of his theories perfectly inline with how I think and perceive the world. What's is really sad about logo-thera
Shannon
May 24, 2010 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
After Freud, this is such a refreshing and sensible look at psychology! Frankl's theories embrace the hopes and aspirations all humans are born with.
Omnia Alsayed
نتمنى ان نلتقيك في الجنة ..
M.
personally, finding meaning and purpose in my life -at least of late, is a central priority. the answer is not in this book nor was a recipe-like method outlined. i did find appealing the inclusiveness of the approach -meaning, a single path and/or methodology was the point of departure or conclusion. my meaning may simply be my quest for meaning -the process of the quest. who knows. lots of nice little analogies contained within the covers of this book. the only things that turned me off were s ...more
Dinesh Jolania
Enables patient or sufferer to ans his own quest rather than doctor or psychologist suggesting a solution.
Eric
This is a good book but it is mostly more advanced. It would be helpful to have a basic understanding of psychoanalysis/therapy as well as philosophy, theology and sociology.

There are good examples and analogies throughout the book but I found myself skimming at times when the text went too far in depth for my level of interest.

Reading this book reminded me of how much I like "Man's Search for Meaning". That is a much more personal and accessible work and I highly recommend you read that first i
Judd
Nov 12, 2014 Judd rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Of all the philosophy books I have read, Frankl's views ring most true for me. That being said, Frankl was more psychologist than philosopher.

This book has two halves: the first is the "why" of Logotherapy and the second half the "how."

The first half is what I found to be the most engaging. The more I read Frankl, the more I realize how aligned I am with his views on meaning, freedom, responsibility and decisions.

Open up your mind, read this and challenge yourself to understand your meaning.
Lee Woody
Wise advice on how to search for fulfillment in one's life. Thought-provoking and urges one to look deeply inside one's self to find one's own meaning and contentment. This book was an excellent follow up to Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. Frankl's experiences in the German Concentration Camps and the effects those experiences had on his own journey in life will tear your heart in two, and at the same time fill your soul with hope.
Stephen Cranney
Very rarely can a work have an insightful perspective on philosophy, theology, and psychology while maintaining the appropriate boundaries between these fields, but Dr. Frankl always seems to pull it off. He's definitely one of my favorite academics. While a little more technical at times than Man's Search for Meaning, it added more clarity to the concepts presented in his earlier, more general work.
Pt Bunch
A very thought provoking and intense read. I am stunned at Dr Frankl's ability to continue an optimistic life view after enduring such horrors. I'm not sure I agree with all his philosophy or even his approaches. I feel the book challenged me and opened my mind to world views I had not considered previously.
Erik Graff
Dec 08, 2013 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Frankl fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: psychology
Having been very impressed by his Man's Search for Meaning in college I purchased and read this book with high expectation. I was disappointed. The actual theory and practice of what Frankl termed "logotherapy" was of far less interest to me than the experiences which led to his central insights.
Matt
I think paradoxical intention (consciously doing the exact opposite of disordered impulses...e.g. if you have a sweating problem and are embarassed, show everyone and embrace it) is on to something bigger than just therapy. Very interesting.
Joshua
After reading 'Man's Search For Meaning' my expectations were very high for Frankl. This was one of his technical works on psychology. It didn't interest me nearly as much as 'Man's Search For Meaning'. Perhaps I should read it again...
Cisco Dilg
I've always been bad at understanding and explaining the humanistic approach to psychology. This book is a great encapsulation of what humanism is really about and why it's such a necessary perspective.
Jerome
Sep 04, 2008 Jerome added it
Shelves: own
Best known for his Man's Search for Meaning, Frankl here sets out the theoretical foundations which were presented in a general form in that work.
Amanda Patterson
This book gives hope inthe face of true evil.

Interesting for psychiatrists and psychologists.

Essential for human beings.
Linda Couri
I love this book and apply it to all clinical work I do. It is truly a masterpiece...Frankl is a giant who is rarely recognized as such
Malrubius
Good stuff. Well-written with clear metaphorical examples. Relies heavily on the metaphysical toward the end.
Aubrie
I liked this book but not as much as Man's Search for Meaning. There was too much religion in this one for my taste.
Sandra
I thought the point he made was quite simple and could have been said in few words, but it was inspirational
Emily
Great follow up to Man Search for Meaning. Gives more detail about what he calls Logotherapy.
Erin
Preferred this to Man's Search for Meaning, which left me feeling a little guilty :)
Andreas
Exceptional book by someone GREAT. Strongly recommended. Kindest regards, A.
Stef Onthesea
Beaucoup de réfléxion après cette lecture. Très constructif.
Takoinche El tako :D
Frankl va a toda madre hasta que le da por defender las religiones.
Celeste
a book to read again and again. the message is timeless.
Chris
Parts of logotherapy are pretty far fetched.
  • Man's Search for Himself
  • The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness
  • Existential Psychotherapy
  • Gestalt Therapy Verbatim
  • The Art of Being
  • The Farther Reaches of Human Nature (Esalen Book)
  • Ego and the Mechanisms of Defense (The Writings of Anna Freud, Vol 2)
  • My Voice Will Go with You: The Teaching Tales of Milton H. Erickson
  • Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process
  • The Principles of Psychology
  • Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
Viktor Emil Frankl M.D., Ph.D., was an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist as well as a Holocaust survivor. Frankl was the founder of logotherapy, which is a form of Existential Analysis, the "Third Viennese School" of psychotherapy.

His book Man's Search for Meaning (first published under a different title in 1959: From Death-Camp to Existentialism. Originally published in 1946 as Ein Psycholog
More about Viktor E. Frankl...
Man's Search for Meaning Man's Search for Ultimate Meaning The Doctor and the Soul: From Psychotherapy to Logotherapy The Unheard Cry for Meaning Recollections: An Autobiography