Start by marking “Nobody Loves A Ginger Baby” as Want to Read:
Nobody Loves A Ginger Baby

Nobody Loves A Ginger Baby

Everybody's on anti-depressants. Not being happy all the time makes them stressed out of their tights. Carol practises uninhibited sex which ends with her panty liner stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe. Donnie, after a mystery bite in a third world country, thinks he's incubating a nest of spiders up his bum. Daphne gets fat. She makes soup all the time and wonders if ...more
Published July 4th 2005 by Black Swan

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Loves A Ginger Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Loves A Ginger Baby

MJ Nicholls
Oct 07, 2013 MJ Nicholls marked it as half-read
As they say, “I wanted so badly to like this novel”—a familiar kiss of death—but in the end I did not. Firstly, the author is a family friend (not my family, my betrothed’s), teacher at the CW programme up the road, and the novel takes place where I live now. These mean nothing in artistic terms, but the title raises a chuckle and the blurb suggests a Celtic Lucy Ellmann. But no. The prose is spunky, filthy, feisty, but does nothing for me. The plot is thin. Daphne is dumped by her depressive ...more
Viv
Mar 24, 2008 Viv rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Doreen, Michelle, Sheila
Shelves: humour
Straight from the hip, and still funny, but heartfelt. Like Isla Dewar, Marney deals with difficult issues such as death and grieving, but never without a humourous West Coast edge.
Nicola Sullivan
Oct 10, 2015 Nicola Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Had me laughing from the first page.
Carolyn Roberts
Jan 23, 2016 Carolyn Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I'd read anything by Laura Marney before and it was just chance that I picked this one up - these days my book choices are dictated by what is on the display shelves nearest the children's section of the library! But it was a happy chance, I liked this book and will seek out more of her work. Nobody Loves a Ginger Baby (which I can categorically say is untrue, being both a former ginger baby myself and the proud aunty of one) tells the relatively ordinary story of Daphne, Donnie ...more
Anthony
Sep 11, 2012 Anthony rated it liked it
Although this was a refreshing transition to contemporary fiction (after having gone through the turgidity of Wolf Hall) this novel failed to sustain its initial attraction.

It started out as a comic story, written from a Glaswegian perspective, of dysfunctional but amusing characters from the world of neets (no employment, no education, no training) most of whom are on benefits and antidepressants. The storylines, of which there were two - of two men with a woman connecting their otherwise non-c
Callie
Aug 27, 2015 Callie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What seems like just a bog-standard romantic novel with twists and predictable turns is actually something more. Something deeper. It is a story about love, but people and the different types of love that exist are examined.
But it is also about who we are, how we deal with the world, and how many of us are on antidepressants to cope with it all. The characters take on greater depth and realism that they first appeared to have, and you feel a connection with them; you want them to be happy. Well
Suzanne Egerton
Nov 01, 2013 Suzanne Egerton rated it really liked it
Laura Marney is very Glasgow. Her stories are wry, quirky, funny and frequently rather rude. They are peopled with eccentrics one might think the product of pure imagination, but in fact I have come to the conclusion that they are real Glaswegians only slightly exaggerated.
The dark humour which typifies this writer's work is well shown in Ginger Baby, and there are the usual setpiece situations to delight. A subtle overview of the sectarian difficulties from which Glasgow still suffers is sket
Gareth
Nov 15, 2015 Gareth rated it did not like it
Decided to read this book even though I'd read mixed reviews.
I didn't really enjoy the writing style, and thought the plot wasn't very engaging. With the exception of Daphne, the characters were hard to like.
I hope this novel isn't a real representation of life in Scotland - the bleak emptiness and selfishness described evokes pity and sympathy.
I'm left feeling like i need antidepressants like most people in the book.
Zogman
Oct 09, 2012 Zogman rated it liked it
Quite liked it. It's like a collection of short stories bound together by a common theme. It became a bit disjointed at times, but still held my interest until the end. Would I read it again? No, don't think so. Was it worth reading. Purely for entertainment, yes. Do we really need all these 'reading group' questions at the end? No. This is not great fiction, it's just a book I read. I don't want to analyze it to death. I just want to enjoy it. Some people are so anal.
Mark K.Astley
Everybody is on anti depressants and life is a series of naval gazing episodes whether the characters are in a state of happiness or desolation. It is crude in parts and at the end you really don't care about any of the characters, they've gone up their own bottoms - let them stay there!!
A disappointing read..
Lynz
Sep 09, 2012 Lynz rated it it was ok
Not really sure what to say, it was good, even if the ending was a bit uhm unexpected!
Even though I only gave it 2 stars doesn't mean it was a bad read. & I will be checking out more of Laura Marney's other books ;)
Emma
Jul 02, 2013 Emma rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013-books
What a strange little book! Given to me by someone ginger as a joke gift I thought I'd at least read it. It started off quite interesting and funny in places but then the tone changed and whilst I found the style easy to read by the end I didn't really care what happened to any of the characters.
Goga
Nov 17, 2014 Goga rated it really liked it
Bunch of quirky characters that pull you in and make you care for them even if theay are not the smartest persons or the most likable persons in the world . Full of Scotish humor. Story about happiness and gingers. :)
Sho
Nov 09, 2012 Sho rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, kindle-edition
well. What can I say? what a weird, sometimes humorous, sometimes dark, story. With a weird end.
It's about the overprescription of tranquilisers
Gwen
Jul 03, 2012 Gwen rated it really liked it
Not as offensive as you might think but i did have to be aware of where i read it particularly on the bus got me some funny looks !
another great read
Anna Fitzgerald
Oct 06, 2012 Anna Fitzgerald rated it it was ok
I wanted this to be brilliant. But it wasn't. It was slow and not what I expected. Story was ok, readable but not one I'll be buying my friends as a gift!
Sary Fairchild
Mar 25, 2009 Sary Fairchild rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! Incredibly odd, very Glaswegian. I love how Laura Marney manages to fit mental illness into all her books. Makes a psychiatric nurse proud.
Andy Colman
Andy Colman rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Debs
Debs rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2012
Saraband Books
Saraband Books rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Aisling Smith
Aisling Smith rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2012
Jennifer rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Rebecca Simpson
Rebecca Simpson rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2008
James
James rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Martina
Martina rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Alenkadragos
Alenkadragos rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Ruth Buckley
Ruth Buckley rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Ysabelle Keenan
Ysabelle Keenan rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Kate Carrett
Kate Carrett rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The author of four novels and numerous short stories, Laura Marney is a member of the Glasgow G7 group of writers (Alan Bissett, Nick Brookes, Rodge Glass, Laura Marney, Alison Miller, Zoë Strachan and Louise Welsh).

Born and brought up in Glasgow Marney co-founded a theatre group there. Since "nobody else could be bothered", she also began writing scripts for the company.

Marney is a graduate of th
More about Laura Marney...

“The new manager wants Tam to ‘joosh it up a bit’, make it more accessible.” 0 likes