Start by marking “Monument” as Want to Read:

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Lost Eden

It was a world of dazzling but deadly beauty, where pleasure was man's most precious birthright. In this lost colony the inhabitants had forgotten the very existence of Earth. Only one man remembered. He foresaw the awesome consequences if this paradise were ever rediscovered.

Monument

The novel of a frightening future - a planet in mortal combat with an alien unive
Mass Market Paperback, 215 pages
Published May 1978 by Bantam (first published February 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Monument, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monument

Brian
Aug 13, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone looking for some light sci-fi reading
A fun light-hearted take on the natives vs. modern culture theme. The law as 'attorneys face off with URLs in front of a master computer' is typical of the often humourous sometimes thought-proking concepts thrown around.
Michael Hall
Dec 21, 2012 Michael Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and provoking story of a primitive culture needing to be saved from civilization. It was hard to put this book down despite the lack of action of any sort. Mostly what we have here is information and descriptions of nature. Many of the characters come and go throughout with the bulk of the conflict hinging upon the decisions in a far-distant courtroom. Monument has left me with a better feeling than just about any other book I've read in recent months.
Katie Montgomery
I absolutely CANNOT understand why this book is not better known. This book is now officially part of my Evangelism List. Watch out, unsuspecting passersby looking for SF book recs.
Angela Alcorn
Sci-fi paradise meets intergalactic lawsuit. Fun and cheery way to detail a very likely inter-planetary scenario.
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monument (1974) 215 pages by Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Obrien has a one man space ship and is a sometimes prospector, sometimes works in the gray areas, and when down on cash pulls into port and works until he can resupply his junker with fuel and supplies. He finally made a strike but crashed on an out of the way world (later named Langri). The humans are poisonous to the planet's native species and vice versa. The only thing the Lagrians can eat is Koluf, a large sea monster that the catch, bring to th
Lucretius
Apr 10, 2012 Lucretius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why Biggle isn't better known, I don't know. For my money this is his best novel.
Kaus Wei
Jun 04, 2012 Kaus Wei rated it liked it
I had initially picked this book up to read in July, but could not get past the first page. Something about the tone, or style, or font selection would put me off of continuing, and so I would move on to some other book. But when I finally got past the first page, I found myself unwilling to put the book down. In hindsight, this is a tad surprising as there are no action-packed space-battles, evil monsters, or other such stuff that move the plot along. Rather, the battles take place in the court ...more
Ruth
Mar 13, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ruth by: Lee and Ralph
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This is another one of those books that works the best the first time through, due to the twist. It also seemed almost childish when read as an adult, though I don't think it was written as a YA. But maybe it's that at the time it was written, people hadn't considered the consequences of turning paradises into tourist resorts. Now it seems obvious, and thus not as enjoyable.

All I can say for sure is the first time through I loved it madly.
John
Science-Fiction
Nicole
Sep 15, 2008 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Simplistic view of technical experts who have a myopic world view that is suddenly impacted by a cultural expert in intergalactic art history who hasn't read the handbook.
Chanel
Jul 03, 2013 Chanel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like it. There were some parts that you could sort of tell that the book was written in the 70s ... but it was a good book
Lee Anne
Jul 06, 2008 Lee Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lee Anne by: Debra Brunson
Shelves: old-friends
Futuristic story about saving a culture from "civilization". Thought provoking.
Jenny
Jul 05, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really good, satisfying quick read! highly recommend!
Elizabeth
Nov 16, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent novel.
Berardo Ioannoni
Berardo Ioannoni marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Carlton
Carlton rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2016
Susan Rainwater
Susan Rainwater rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
A.D.Lynch
A.D.Lynch marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
John Onoda
John Onoda rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Louise Bartlett
Louise Bartlett marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2015
Marian87
Marian87 marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Gerard
Gerard marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Frederick Carl
Frederick Carl rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Black Corridor
  • The Exile Waiting
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • Nothing Sacred
  • Mining the Oort
  • Special Deliverance
  • The Wooden Spaceships (Land and Overland Series, #2)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Across a Billion Years
  • Return to Eden
  • The House That Stood Still
  • Chronospace
  • The Stardance Trilogy (#1-3)
  • The Serpent Mage
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
Biggle was born in 1923 in Waterloo, Iowa. He served in World War II as a communications sergeant in a rifle company of the 102nd Infantry Division; during the war, he was wounded twice. His second wound, a shrapnel wound in his leg received near the Elbe River at the end of the war, left him disabled for life.

After the war, Biggle resumed his education. He received an A.B. Degree with High Distin
More about Lloyd Biggle Jr....