4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Lost Eden

It was a world of dazzling but deadly beauty, where pleasure was man's most precious birthright. In this lost colony the inhabitants had forgotten the very existence of Earth. Only one man remembered. He foresaw the awesome consequences if this paradise were ever rediscovered.

Monument

The novel of a frightening future - a planet in mortal combat with an alien unive...more
Mass Market Paperback, 215 pages
Published May 1978 by Bantam (first published February 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Monument, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monument

Brian
Aug 13, 2010 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone looking for some light sci-fi reading
A fun light-hearted take on the natives vs. modern culture theme. The law as 'attorneys face off with URLs in front of a master computer' is typical of the often humourous sometimes thought-proking concepts thrown around.
Angela Alcorn
Sci-fi paradise meets intergalactic lawsuit. Fun and cheery way to detail a very likely inter-planetary scenario.
Michael Hall
A wonderful and provoking story of a primitive culture needing to be saved from civilization. It was hard to put this book down despite the lack of action of any sort. Mostly what we have here is information and descriptions of nature. Many of the characters come and go throughout with the bulk of the conflict hinging upon the decisions in a far-distant courtroom. Monument has left me with a better feeling than just about any other book I've read in recent months.
Lucretius
Why Biggle isn't better known, I don't know. For my money this is his best novel.
Kaus Wei
I had initially picked this book up to read in July, but could not get past the first page. Something about the tone, or style, or font selection would put me off of continuing, and so I would move on to some other book. But when I finally got past the first page, I found myself unwilling to put the book down. In hindsight, this is a tad surprising as there are no action-packed space-battles, evil monsters, or other such stuff that move the plot along. Rather, the battles take place in the court...more
Ruth
Mar 13, 2014 Ruth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ruth by: Lee and Ralph
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This is another one of those books that works the best the first time through, due to the twist. It also seemed almost childish when read as an adult, though I don't think it was written as a YA. But maybe it's that at the time it was written, people hadn't considered the consequences of turning paradises into tourist resorts. Now it seems obvious, and thus not as enjoyable.

All I can say for sure is the first time through I loved it madly.
Katie Montgomery
I absolutely CANNOT understand why this book is not better known. This book is now officially part of my Evangelism List. Watch out, unsuspecting passersby looking for SF book recs.
Nicole
Simplistic view of technical experts who have a myopic world view that is suddenly impacted by a cultural expert in intergalactic art history who hasn't read the handbook.
Chanel
I really like it. There were some parts that you could sort of tell that the book was written in the 70s ... but it was a good book
Lee Anne
Jul 06, 2008 Lee Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lee Anne by: Debra Brunson
Shelves: old-friends
Futuristic story about saving a culture from "civilization". Thought provoking.
Jenny
really good, satisfying quick read! highly recommend!
Elizabeth
A most excellent novel.
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Plantsman
Plantsman marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Bryn Hammond
Bryn Hammond marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
JT
JT marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Bosy Antek
Bosy Antek marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Danielsherson
Danielsherson marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Biggle was born in 1923 in Waterloo, Iowa. He served in World War II as a communications sergeant in a rifle company of the 102nd Infantry Division; during the war, he was wounded twice. His second wound, a shrapnel wound in his leg received near the Elbe River at the end of the war, left him disabled for life.

After the war, Dr. Biggle resumed his education. He received an A.B. Degree with High Di...more
More about Lloyd Biggle Jr....
The Still, Small Voice of Trumpets All the Colors of Darkness The World Menders Watchers of the Dark The Light That Never Was