Start by marking “Monument” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Lost Eden

It was a world of dazzling but deadly beauty, where pleasure was man's most precious birthright. In this lost colony the inhabitants had forgotten the very existence of earth. Only one man remembered. He foresaw the awesome consequences if this paradise were ever rediscovered.

Monument

The novel of a frightening future - a planet in mortal combat with an alien unive
Published December 19th 1999 by Wildside Press (first published February 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Monument, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monument

Alien Species Intervention by J.K. AccinniEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardBaby by J.K. AccinniDune by Frank HerbertThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
My Top 20 SF/Fantasy
41st out of 144 books — 102 voters
Tigana by Guy Gavriel KayThe Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher MooreLord of Light by Roger ZelaznyPhases of Gravity by Dan SimmonsZodiac by Neal Stephenson
Pirate Politics: A Winter Reading List
12th out of 26 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian
Aug 13, 2010 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone looking for some light sci-fi reading
A fun light-hearted take on the natives vs. modern culture theme. The law as 'attorneys face off with URLs in front of a master computer' is typical of the often humourous sometimes thought-proking concepts thrown around.
Michael Hall
Dec 21, 2012 Michael Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and provoking story of a primitive culture needing to be saved from civilization. It was hard to put this book down despite the lack of action of any sort. Mostly what we have here is information and descriptions of nature. Many of the characters come and go throughout with the bulk of the conflict hinging upon the decisions in a far-distant courtroom. Monument has left me with a better feeling than just about any other book I've read in recent months.
Katie Montgomery
Aug 15, 2014 Katie Montgomery rated it it was amazing
I absolutely CANNOT understand why this book is not better known. This book is now officially part of my Evangelism List. Watch out, unsuspecting passersby looking for SF book recs.
Angela Alcorn
Sci-fi paradise meets intergalactic lawsuit. Fun and cheery way to detail a very likely inter-planetary scenario.
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing
Monument (1974) 215 pages by Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Obrien has a one man space ship and is a sometimes prospector, sometimes works in the gray areas, and when down on cash pulls into port and works until he can resupply his junker with fuel and supplies. He finally made a strike but crashed on an out of the way world (later named Langri). The humans are poisonous to the planet's native species and vice versa. The only thing the Lagrians can eat is Koluf, a large sea monster that the catch, bring to th
Lucretius
Apr 10, 2012 Lucretius rated it really liked it
Why Biggle isn't better known, I don't know. For my money this is his best novel.
Kaus Wei
I had initially picked this book up to read in July, but could not get past the first page. Something about the tone, or style, or font selection would put me off of continuing, and so I would move on to some other book. But when I finally got past the first page, I found myself unwilling to put the book down. In hindsight, this is a tad surprising as there are no action-packed space-battles, evil monsters, or other such stuff that move the plot along. Rather, the battles take place in the court ...more
Andrew Gifford
Aug 17, 2016 Andrew Gifford rated it it was amazing
A random buy at a random used bookshop 3000 miles from home. Had never heard of Biggle before but am now an addict. This short, wonderful little book is actually somewhat timeless. A tale of galactic gentrification where bureaucracy is king, lawyers answer to computers, and downtrodden yet enlightened natives must do battle with gold course developers. My only regret is that Biggle didn't write a ton of prequels starring space adventurer-cum-Messiah Cerne Obrien!
Boulder Boulderson
Great little book I've had on my shelves forever (20 years?) but haven't read for ages. Nice story concerning a genius posthumously leading a native people to successful independence and protection of their way of life.

Bit of a wish-fulfilment probably, but incredibly fast paced and the number of characters and the amount of development packed what is not much more than a short story is phenomenal.
Ruth
Mar 13, 2014 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruth by: Lee and Ralph
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This is another one of those books that works the best the first time through, due to the twist. It also seemed almost childish when read as an adult, though I don't think it was written as a YA. But maybe it's that at the time it was written, people hadn't considered the consequences of turning paradises into tourist resorts. Now it seems obvious, and thus not as enjoyable.

All I can say for sure is the first time through I loved it madly.
Dan Holt
Apr 20, 2016 Dan Holt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Favorite Science Fiction Novel

Amazing storytelling! Great way of overcoming adversity in an unbelievable setting. Wonderful characterization and action. Thank you for an almost lost book.
John
Science-Fiction
Nicole
Sep 15, 2008 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Simplistic view of technical experts who have a myopic world view that is suddenly impacted by a cultural expert in intergalactic art history who hasn't read the handbook.
Chanel
Jul 03, 2013 Chanel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like it. There were some parts that you could sort of tell that the book was written in the 70s ... but it was a good book
Lee Anne
Jul 06, 2008 Lee Anne rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lee Anne by: Debra Brunson
Shelves: old-friends
Futuristic story about saving a culture from "civilization". Thought provoking.
Jenny
Jul 05, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
really good, satisfying quick read! highly recommend!
Elizabeth
Nov 16, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
A most excellent novel.
Sandro
Sandro rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Ken Knickerbocker
Ken Knickerbocker rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Emily Sinton
Emily Sinton marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Justin Ulmer
Justin Ulmer marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Cole
Cole marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Ammar
Ammar marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Daniel Schwarzenbach
Daniel Schwarzenbach rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Roman
Roman rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Del
Del rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
  • The Black Corridor
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Nothing Sacred
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • Mining the Oort
  • The Wooden Spaceships (Land and Overland Series, #2)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Return to Eden
  • Across a Billion Years
  • The Stardance Trilogy (#1-3)
  • The Unreasoning Mask
  • The House That Stood Still
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • The Last Defender of Camelot
  • Caravan to Vaccares
  • The Serpent Mage
Biggle was born in 1923 in Waterloo, Iowa. He served in World War II as a communications sergeant in a rifle company of the 102nd Infantry Division; during the war, he was wounded twice. His second wound, a shrapnel wound in his leg received near the Elbe River at the end of the war, left him disabled for life.

After the war, Biggle resumed his education. He received an A.B. Degree with High Distin
More about Lloyd Biggle Jr....