Start by marking “Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3)” as Want to Read:
Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3)

Scent of Evil (Joe Gunther #3)

When the body of a fast-living young stockbroker is found in a shallow grave, suspicion first falls on a cuckolded policeman. Lt. Joe Gunther investigates the increasingly bizarre details of the crime, but finds that he’s too far behind events to prevent a second murder. Indeed, whoever is responsible always seems to be a few steps ahead, as if there’s a leak on the force. ...more
Kindle Edition
Published March 28th 2013 by MarchMedia (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Scent of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scent of Evil

Ensiform
Jul 11, 2013 Ensiform rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The third Joe Gunther novel, this begins with the discovery of a young, upcoming stockbroker murdered in a coldly brutal fashion. Gunther looks into the man’s lifestyle – drugs and a lot of sex – and before you know it, three other people are dead, including a disgraced police officer.

This is exciting cops and robbers drama, like its two predecessors – but minus points to Mayor for falling back twice in three books on the preternaturally clever supervillain, capable of manipulating the police an
Liz
Sep 27, 2011 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Joe Gunther detective series because they take place in Brattleboro VT. Gunther is an interesting, believable character and the plot is complicated enough that you have a hard time figuring out who did it. On to the next one...
ElaineY
AUDIOBOOK; April 11, 2015
Narrator: Tom Taylorson

This is my 3rd attempt at listening to a Joe Gunther book and I still feel the same about the series: low intensity, cozy-mystery feel, no suspense, sleep-inducing.

I enjoy Taylorson's narration and it is he who kept me listening. The writing, however, put me to sleep several times so I don't know how Joe solved the murder or who the killer was! I was like this with the first 2 books which I had bought from Audible as well. I also bought Book 4 &
Jun 01, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abbey
1992, #3 Lt. Joe Gunther, Brattleboro VT Police Department; police procedural.

A dead body in an all-too-easily found grave, a policeman with secrets, money laundering and drug deals gone bad: a nasty situation seems to be escalating for Joe Gunther and his Vermont cops, as they discover more bodies, and bugs and snitches and reporters also show up.

Another interesting visit with Joe, as he shows us the darker reaches of his old town, and its less than illustrious folks, while trying to unravel a
Ellen
Apr 11, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
Lt. Joe Gunther of the Brattleboro, VT, police department, is called to the scene where Charlie Jardine, a not very upstanding stock broker, is found buried in a shallow grave. When there are reports that another police officer, John Woll, was seen in the area at the approximate time of death, Woll immediately comes under suspicion especially when word gets out that Woll's wife Rose was a very very good friend of Jardine. Although Gunther does not believe his co-worker could possibly have commit ...more
Marti
Mar 28, 2014 Marti rated it really liked it
You know that you are in for a 'good read,' when you have a Joe Gunther book before you. This one is no exception. Whose body is found partially buried? How does it relate to the policeman whose wife loves two men? Milly isn't a woman but the nickname of Millard, who has gotten himself involved deeply in drug dealing. There isn't a lot going on between Joe and Gail--perhaps it is meant that way--to be a teaser. Brattleboro, Vermont is the setting--enjoy!
Jim
Nov 08, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
I continue to enjoy the characters in Mayor's books and his plots are pretty interesting. This one gets a little messy with a lot of suspects cropping up as the story moves along. While I did have some suspicion early on as to who the culprit might turn out to be, I didn't figure out how that would happen until Mayor let us know. To his credit it wasn't one of those totally out-of-the-blue suspects either.
Looking forward to book number 4!
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Joe Gunther series. Joe Gunther is a Brattleboro, VT detective Lt.

Joe Gunther leads the investigation into the murder of a local stockbroker and his burial in a construction project. All the clues seem to implicate a local cop and a drug connection. As Joe investigates, amid tirades from the vice-chair of the City Selectmen, the bad guys always seem a step ahead and Joe suspects a leak in the department.
Alyssa
Nov 25, 2015 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Another solid mystery by local author/sometimes coworker of mine Archer Mayor. I love the fact these books are set in Brattleboro and i spend time letting my mind wander to the exact locations and imagine the scenes from the book. I think book #25 in this series comes out this year, so i've got 22 more to go before i am caught up!
Rebecca Boehringer
I really like the book. This is the 3rd of his that I have read. I find them well written, interesting and complex. They are of course, dated in the 1990's, so all of the detective work is done without the technology super highway we are used to now. I highly recommend his work.
Gmaharriet
May 17, 2015 Gmaharriet rated it it was amazing
This 3rd book in the Joe Gunther series is even better than the first two, and I wouldn't have thought that possible. The author comes up with some very unusual plot ideas, and I'm enjoying this series very much. Highly recommended.
Pat Wellhausen
Jun 10, 2015 Pat Wellhausen rated it really liked it
Another thriller

Fast moving with enough originality to keep the reader interested. Colorfully written and descriptive. I often felt as if I was among the cast of characters.
Judi
Mar 27, 2015 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Archer Mayor's books because they are good solid mysteries, and they take place in Brattleboro. The sense of place familiarity is always fun!
Paulah
May 13, 2014 Paulah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non-stop mayhem in Brattleboro, Vermont. Even on a second reading, this mystery holds up as a solid page-turner. Archer Mayor at his best.
Winifred
Aug 14, 2012 Winifred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Archer Mayor's Joe Gunther series mystery books are page turners. As soon as I finished one I began another.
Steve Clark
Sep 04, 2011 Steve Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Enjoyed the Vermont setting and the wide variety of possible suspects. I'll read more of this series.
Dennis Fischman
I didn't enjoy this mystery as much as the previous ones in the series. Joe Gunther seems more single-minded about work, and while this gives the author a chance to show Gunther's style as a manager and mentor, it slights his relationship with Gail Zigman, which provided a lot of the interest of the first couple of books. Also, I had a sense of "too many cops, too many suspects," including one who was mentioned in passing in an early chapter and became significant hundreds of pages later. Fortun ...more
E
Nov 01, 2013 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in the series. Very enjoyable old-fashioned mystery! I must read some more!
Bill
Dec 20, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
Very good detective series set in a small town in New England. I love the characters.
Mar 07, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
It was fine - three stars may be a bit generous, but I didn't actively dislike it enough for two. Part of it may be that, being written and set in the '90s, it is just old enough to feel dated but not old enough to feel like a view into history. (They have pagers. Pagers!) Also, I had not read the first two, which may have established the characters a bit more - they felt a bit thin.
Mhd
Nov 04, 2013 Mhd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Police procedural mystery, set in Vermont...part of a series and has aged well. The characters continue to interest me, but there are probably too many of them in this one! The story is probably a pretty good example of the problems that can result from following the evidence in the wrong direction and of the effects of errors/omissions in investigation. It starts strong and ends well, but the middle is too 'talky' and slow moving. In screenwriting, there's a device called "leave early, arrive l ...more
Ada Iaboni
Jul 15, 2016 Ada Iaboni rated it liked it
One of a series, of which I've read some, but not in order. This one is one the early ones. It was very good, but it was so complicated that I lost track a few times of what was going on.
It was also one that got Joe, the main character, got into a very close call.
Jeff Dickison
Nov 24, 2015 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
A good entry into the Joe Gunther series. Joe must solve a murder while dealing with bureaucratic interference and with a leak in the department. Recommended.
Ann
May 09, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! The plot is very well thought out, characters come alive and the writing puts you right in the middle of the action. Moving on to the next in the series.
Jennie Anderson
Jan 08, 2016 Jennie Anderson rated it liked it
Good book too. I am enjoying this series and have the next two on hold at my public library.
Wanda
Apr 07, 2014 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying the Joe Gunther series. Great mysteries!
Thomas Nevins
Mar 11, 2016 Thomas Nevins rated it it was ok
good story, good location, too wordy
Steve Toms
Aug 18, 2013 Steve Toms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-mystery
This is an outstanding novel. With this, his third installment in the "Joe Gunther" series, Author Mayor is at the top of his game. The dialog is crisp and the characterizations are rich. It is as if you were reading a true crime story. But where Author Mayor really shines is when he describes police procedures. The details he provides are amazing. This is a novel you take your time reading as you want to savor every word. Nothing is extraneous.
I look forward to reading the reading the entire "
Cheryl
Sep 22, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Working my way through Joe Gunther series. Enjoyable reads.
Play Book Tag: Scent of Evil by Archer Mayor - 4 stars 3 7 Apr 12, 2016 05:32AM
  • Massacre Pond (Mike Bowditch, #4)
  • Open Secret (Bern Fortin mystery, #2)
  • Dark Nantucket Noon (Homer Kelly, #2)
  • Fire Beach (Lei Crime, #8)
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #3)
  • The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)
  • Pursuit and Persuasion (Ben Reese, #3)
  • No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #4)
  • Circled
  • The Journal (Jack O'Neill Mystery, #2)
  • All That I Have
  • Wobble to Death
  • A Poison Tree (Time, Blood and Karma, #3)
  • The Violet Hour
  • Southern Cross (Erin Solomon Mysteries, #3)
  • Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4)
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Everything Under the Heavens (Silk and Song Trilogy, #1)
52067
Over the years, Archer Mayor has been photographer, teacher, historian, scholarly editor, feature writer, travel writer, lab technician, political advance man, medical illustrator, newspaper writer, history researcher, publications consultant, constable, and EMT/firefighter. He is also half Argentine, speaks two languages, and has lived in several countries on two continents.

All of which makes mak
More about Archer Mayor...

Joe Gunther (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Open Season (Joe Gunther #1)
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • The Skeleton's Knee (Joe Gunther #4)
  • Fruits of the Poisonous Tree (Joe Gunther #5)
  • The Dark Root  (Joe Gunther #6)
  • The Ragman's Memory (Joe Gunther #7)
  • Bellows Falls (Joe Gunther #8)
  • The Disposable Man (Joe Gunther #9)
  • Occam's Razor (Joe Gunther #10)
  • The Marble Mask (Joe Gunther #11)