Start by marking “Death by Chick Lit” as Want to Read:
Death by Chick Lit

Death by Chick Lit

2.81 of 5 stars 2.81  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Someone is killing off the competition in the world of chick lit-and the results are "hilarious." (Andy Borowitz, author of "The Borowitz Report: The Big Book of Shockers") Lola Somerville has a husband and a new apartment in Brooklyn, but what she really wants is for her novel to make a splash. Unfortunately it hasn't even made a ripple. Then at a book party, Lola finds h ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Berkley Trade (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Death by Chick Lit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Chick Lit

Bev Hankins
Lola Summerville is jealous of all the chick lit authors who are signing book deals right and left and having their books optioned for movie deals before the printer has finished spitting out their first run. It doesn't help that everyone from taxi drivers to policemen are being asked to "tell their story" and make mega-bucks. And it's not like Lola hasn't written a book. She has and it's a good one--but no
one seems to notice. And she hasn't heard from her agent in ages.

Then, up-and-coming chick
Barbara
Originally passed this up. I personally am getting a bit tired of chick lit. However this turned out to be a bit more witty and fun than I expected. Some unexpected twists (At least as far as I was concerned), made the ending a bit of a surprise.
Jenn
Lily Burana, author of Strip City said this about this book: "Ms. Harris has cannily turned the chick lit stereotype on its cute little ear. This book is perfect for brainy girls who like their satires served up with equal parts sweetness, savvy, and a delightful twist of snark."

I think her review is a touch over the top but basically accurate. This book was a quick and easy read. It was a little too cutesy for my taste, but the humor keeps it from being overly annoying. I mean, you have to appr
Jehnie
My ever faithful book-loving friend sent me Death by Chick Lit. It fills a great niche that she and I both read. We both love a good mystery and we both love a good mindless chick lit novel. So, when there's a chance to merge the two, it seems like a win-win situation. Lynn Harris's novel definitely fit that category.
Death by Chick Lit is a hilarious, satirical story about the media frenzy to publish anything and everything. Lola Sommerville, the novel-writing heroine, finds herself in the middl
Cristi Wilcox DiGenova
This was more intelligent than your average chick lit, but the voice was more slang than prose. Yet still smart, sort of like Junot Diaz. (Ok not that smart). Anyway. I also felt like it was a novel NYC dwellers would get a bit more out of than I did.

It was kinda weird that the main character was happily married at the start of the novel and I don't think there are any novels preceding this one in the story arc... I guess this is what the publisher's blurb means by "the author cunningly turns t
Inge
I can't quite figure this book out. It's supposed to be this smart, feminist, satire of chick lit, right? I just felt like I was watching an extended Sex and the City episode while reading this book. Which is not entirely oft-putting; indeed, if you want silly one-liners, a semi-strong female protagonist, and lots of eye-rolling at quote unquote hip NYC folk, then this is your book.

I was surprised to read all the feminist-love for this book while browsing reviews and various interviews with the
Julie H.
Death by Chick Lit contains some uniquely NYC funny moments but as a mystery it's not as much of a standout as I'd have hoped. The gist of things is that Lola Somerville, the recently-married author of a corporate expose misidentified, misshelved and largely overlooked titled Pink Slip discovers two bodies--a third ends up in Bergdorf's on its own--of authors who all seem to be climbing the chick lit ladder without any sort of writer's chops or demonstrable talent. The fact that their readings a ...more
Jun 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who sees the comic potential of the publishing industry
Recommended to Jennifer by: Kelly C.
This was a quick enjoyable read that was more of a satire than a mystery. Brooklynite, Lola Sommerville, has recently published a book, to very little acclaim, and she's trying hard not to hate all the successful chick lit authors around her--especially because some of them are her friends. However, she certainly doesn't want any of them to die. But when they do start dying (and Lola always seems to be stumbling upon the bodies), Lola worries that she may be next (and perhaps is even more afraid ...more
Redfox5
Disappointed with this one. It's not really much or a chick-lit or a who done it. It's nowhere near all good as 'Sex, Murder and A Double Latte' which managed to pull the cross over off perfectly. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. It's just kinda meh, take it or leave it. I found it really hard to get into at the start and it wasn't until the last 100 pages that I got into a good flow with it. I didn't dislike Lola, I just didn't fall in love with her and her dappy ways. I even guessed who done ...more
Alicia
I looooved Harris' writing when I was in college (back during the Breakup Girl website days--now she does freelance stuff. I sometimes see parenting-related stuff she does for Salon), so when I saw she had written this goofy-looking mystery, I had to check it out. The premise is that a sort-of-unsuccessful writer Lola (who clearly is a little bit autobiographical) gets caught up in a series of murders--but all the victims are very successful chick lit authors! Lola takes up the investigation--bu ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I found this book to be delightfully funny and a good mystery at that. It is written as a young woman who sincerely writes a whistle-blowing book that is basically overlooked by the popularity of Chick Lit. However, something is happening around her...the famous Chick Lit authors are being murdered and a good few are found by our Lola Somerville.

While Lola tries to figure out how to get her book "The Pink Slip" re-designated as 'Chick Lit.' she must solve the murders before she gets to the top o
Erin
I'm giving this book the second star because I liked that it's a feminist critique of the publishing industry, but otherwise I wasn't that crazy about the book. The main character, Lola, is not particularly likable or sympathetic and a lot of the "satire" is just so over the top that it's ridiculous and not believable instead of clever and on point. The conclusion of the whodunit is at least a little surprising, but by the time I got there, I was so irritated with the rest of the book that it wa ...more
Dogsandbooks
Moderately amusing premise but very thin. DPL
Mickey
Good send-up of New York chick lit as seen through the eyes of a bestselling author wannabe. The protagonist is snarky and provides us with some keen satire, but she depends on too many insider Brooklyn jokes that the rest of us just don't get. The protagonist is funny and sharp, the plot amusing and dumb, as the author successfully pokes fun at writers, bestseller lists, journalists, techno-gizmos, geekery, dating and relationships. I would love to read satire by this author without the Brookly ...more
Carah
Well, I was a tad disappointed in this book. I don't think it was touted as the Next Best Book Ever, but it was really run-of-the-mill. The characters were *too* cliche, and the mystery wasn't really all that mysterious. The heroine was too whiny and self-centered for my taste. It felt forced or contrived.

Perhaps it was designed as a satire on the whole chick lit genre?

Or perhaps I am simply "over" reading chick lit-- at least until I get a few minutes alone on a beach with a book...
Terri
Lola is frustrated. All the people she know seem to be getting publishing deals and hitting the bestseller list while her book isnt going anywhere. And then some of the CHick Lit authors are getting murdered and she keeps finding the bodies.

I really enjoyed this book. Lots of tongue in cheek humor and poking fun. I really enjoyed Lola and her husband Doug. The mystery was interesting. The motive a little weak but still enjoyable esp. as the killer is caught. A fun read!
Marie
Lighthearted, and painfully the "Me" demographic. (Our heroine despises it when other people are writing books and feels anxious in bookstores? Oh, and knows geek trivia. Yup, she's nearly me!)

The strange, sloppy not-really-all-that-hidden first person "third person" POV jarred me at first - and I wondered if it, itself, was a trope poking fun at "Chick lit" conventions. It was fun, though. The main characters thoughts punctuate every interaction with humor.
Kate Gould
I just finished reading this and absolutely loved it. I gulped down the first half in one sitting then had to make myself slow down because I didn't want it to end. It's a real treat - hilarious (such a refreshing trait), zany, intelligent and a witty satire of the chicklit and detective genre. Don't let the title fool you into thinking it's only for girly girls - I'd recommend it to fans of all genres looking for a funny, intelligent read.
Kristen
I really had to force myself to finish this book. There are about 100 pages of complaining about why chick lit is called chick lit. If you get past this, there is a boring mystery and really annoying characters. Our lackluster hero whines her way through finding 3 or 4 women chick lit writers murdered. She does find the murderer, but I really didn't care. The most interesting part of the hero is her green thumb.
Jenn
Margaret
Mar 07, 2012 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2012
A snappy, witty and slightly irreverent stab-fun-at-the-world-of-book-publishing story that didn't take itself too seriously. It managed to straddle the chick lit and cozy mystery genres without really being either. And the author even supplied some made-up words at times such as "golden-retrievering" just to see if you're paying attention I think. A light yet energetic read.
Brandon
I found this book in the library and checked it out for my wife. She was busy reading a bunch of other books, so I read it. It was pretty good. I think I might have enjoyed it more had I read any chick lit, so I'd get when she was making fun of the genre. However, I've seen the movie versions of "The Nanny Diaries" and "The Devil Wears Prada," so maybe I know enough already.
Rose
Okay, I picked this up because the title made me double-take, but it turned out to be a funny, catty, well done little murder mystery. I almost fell for the red herring, and loved Lola's running commentaries and multi-sided character. Sure, she wants to stop a killer, but snagging a book deal for it wouldn't hurt either!
Julia
This was an OK chick lit whodunit. Really, the best part of Lola's tale is the fun they poke at their own genre. Seems everyone is getting on the publishing bandwagon, much to Lola's chagrin. But, some of the top selling chick lit authors are being murdered and Lola puts herself in the position of discovering whodunit.
Simone
I would suggest avoiding this one. I do enjoy a good satire and while others seem to think this was one, I'm not seeing it. There were a couple of small pieces that could be satirical, but overall I just found this weak in so many ways. Looking for beach reading this summer? Pass this one by.
Karendale2
This is a very quick read. It accompanied me to a beach on the Gulf. I finished it quickly and it had me laughing out loud at the author's humor. But it also had me trying to figure out the whodunit. It is not a great book but a fun vacation read.
Fran
Recommended if you are any of the following:
-- a writer
-- a New Yorker
-- a Brooklynite
-- a fan of standard chick lit fare or mysteries

A smart, fun summer book... and everyone in my book club was surprised by the ending.

Bonnie
It felt like the book was about 15 pages too long.

What is the point of a climax if you need another 20 pages to resolve all of the open story lines???? Some of which really did not need to be in the story in the first place.
Jennifer Patrick
Not that well written, but had some clever elements to it. I loved how everywhere the main character went (she was a writer) EVERYONE was telling her how they were writing a book and they were getting sweet deals and she wasn't.
Book Concierge
ZERO stars. Absolutely TERRIBLE! No plot to speak of. Stilted dialogue. Just a waste of time. It was on the shelf in the cabin we rented and I'd finished the books I brought along. I'd have been better off watching TV.
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 3
  • Fight Like a Girl: A Short Story Anthology
  • Princeless, Book One: Save Yourself
  • Over The Wall
  • Pigeons From Hell
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Husbands
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 2
  • Chasing the Dragon
  • Hitchers
  • Joe Golem and the Drowning City: An Illustrated Novel
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
Lynn Harris is author of the comic novel DEATH BY CHICK LIT, along with its prequel, MISS MEDIA, and several non-fiction books including BREAKUP GIRL TO THE RESCUE! She is also co-creator, with Chris Kalb, of the venerable website BreakupGirl.net. An award-winning journalist, she writes frequently for Glamour, Salon.com, the New York Times, the Washington Post, Nerve.com, Babble.com, and many othe ...more
More about Lynn Harris...
Got to Be Real: Four Original Love Stories Miss Media Breakup Girl to the Rescue!: A Superhero's Guide to Love, and Lack Thereof He Loved Me, He Loves Me Not: A Guide to Fudge, Fury, Free Time, and Life Beyond the Breakup Unwritten Rules: What Women Need to Know about Leading in Today's Organizations