Start by marking “Zen in the Art of Flower Arrangement: The Classic Account of the Meaning and Symbolism of the Japanese Art of Ikebana” as Want to Read:

Japanese masters have developed the techniques of ikebana over centuries and, while many different styles have evolved, they all share the same fundamental principles. The art embodies aesthetic considerations, knowledge of the natural forms of plants, and a profound understanding of the space around them. This book explains these principles by describing the lessons learn ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Souvenir Press (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Zen in the Art of Flower Arrangement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen in the Art of Flower Arrangement

Michael Hitchcock
Nov 14, 2013 Michael Hitchcock rated it really liked it
Herrigel writes so plainly about "the flowers way" you can almost understand how it feels to work with the flowers. You cannot read the book without understanding the humility and receptivity necessary to this undertaking.

I would consider this book somewhat inappropriate for beginners, but it is a beautiful reference book. I cannot stress enough how clear and well organized it is.

In writing this book Herrigel faced the impossible problem faced by all of the non-verbal arts/skills/traditions that
Natasha
Jul 10, 2014 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A meditation on the process with lessons applicable to other aspects of one's life: creative, working. Worth the time to digest this concise but profound text.
Joshua
Apr 21, 2013 Joshua added it
Shelves: teaching, hippie, ay12-13
A gift from my brother (they were selling off books from the Tai Sophia library).

I don't think I'll take up Ikebana any time soon, but it gave me some interesting perspectives on teaching. The ikebana teacher presents examples, gently corrects, but allows the student to find his/her own right way without explicit instruction or rules. This is a path to deep understanding.
Polina
Jun 25, 2009 Polina rated it really liked it
Shelves: available
A great short intro into zen and presents its basics beautifully while at the same time attempting to convey what the author believes is impossible to convey in intellectual terms to the westerners. The book also sparked my interest in the art of Japanese flower arrangements and inspired me to follow it's methods of simplicity with my flowers at home.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Andrya
Andrya marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Mina
Mina marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Parisa KH
Parisa KH marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
St-Loup
St-Loup marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
claudio a.
claudio a. marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Anansi
Anansi marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Claire Percy
Claire Percy marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Olivier
Olivier marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Treehouse
Treehouse marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Jamie O'Naraigh
Jamie O'Naraigh rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Deepti
Deepti marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Sorobai
Sorobai marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Io?
Io? added it
Aug 03, 2015
Myrte Van der velden
Myrte Van der velden marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Angtburg
Angtburg marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Katherine Pontikes
Katherine Pontikes marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Thomas Keinerkenntmich
Thomas Keinerkenntmich marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015