Start by marking “Club Vampyre (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Club Vampyre (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1-3)

Club Vampyre (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #1-3)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  2,288 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Club Vampyre brings together the first three Anita Blake novels, this collection looks at the adventures of the woman vampires call The Executioner.

I'm Anita Blake, expert on creatures of the night. Vampires call me The Executioner. What I call them isn't repeatable. Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary
Published 1997 by Science Fiction Book Club

To ask other readers questions about Club Vampyre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Club Vampyre

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
180th out of 2,651 books — 9,548 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceVampire Academy by Richelle MeadDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Vampires and Werewolves and Witches...Oh My!
159th out of 1,228 books — 2,343 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephanie
A few weeks ago, I was feeling pretty overwhelmed and stressed and was looking for a good book to escape in - an engrossing page turner that sucks you in and doesn't require a lot of thinking but also doesn't insult your intelligence. This is where I ended up after a misguided side trip into Charlaine Harris' Dead Until Dark which I,found easy to read but kind of silly.

This volume contains the first 3 books (Guilty Pleasures,The Laughing Corpse and Circus of the Damned) in Laurell K. Hamilton's
Susanne
Aug 27, 2007 Susanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes their heroine independent, capable and violent!
Shelves: vampires
This series is not for the faint of heart! There is lots of action, violence and sex! Anita Blake is a kick ass kind of girl who makes no apologies about her habit of making bad people dead. This whole series is a truly inventive look on the modern world of the whole preternatural community: vampires, wereanimals, necromancers, and witches included. If you like fast paced, action packed and no holds barred...this one is for you!
Jenn
Guilty Pleasures
What a great introduction to this world. Vampires are legal, as in they own businesses and may even get to vote soon. The supernatural isn't hidden anymore. The MC raises zombies for a living. But like when most things change, they are people who protest.

Anita Blake, zombie raiser and legal vampire slayer, understands the supernatural better than most. It is after all her job. When vampire corpses are found brutally murdered, Anita is put on the case - both by the police and t
VampireNovelFan
GUILTY PLEASURES
Guilty Pleasures is Book 1 of the prolonged ongoing saga that is the Anita Blake series. Enter Anita, a necromancer by night and a vampire hunter...by night. You can imagine she has her plate full, raising the dead and staking fanged baddies.

And speaking of which, we meet Nikolaos, a 1,000 year old vampire. She's the most powerful in the city all the while inhabiting a body of a 10-year-old. She's causing a few problems for Anita that leads her to become allies with other vampire
Andrea
I loved it and I am so very glad I got a chance to read the Blake books that were created before LKH went off to her male harem dream land and lost the art of making a book worth reading which includes an actual plot and not repetitve sex. I so wish she had kept the books more along this line and kept them growing without losing Anita in sex. It was so wonderful to not have to skip pages/ chapters to get past sex scenes I was tired of reading and having an actual story to read.
Anino
A Reminder of why we love Anita Blake when Ms. Hamilton is spot-on. Love Anita, Jean Claude, & Richard.
Marisa
Audel
Je n'avais pas vraiment été convaincue par le premier tome de cette saga si populaire. Mais avec ce tome 2, je le suis déjà nettement plus.

En effet, ce tome est beaucoup plus intéressant et original que le précédent. Ici, l'auteure se concentre sur le métier principal d'Anita : la réanimation. On se trouve donc avec deux intrigues plutôt bien réussies qui ne tournent que sur ce sujet. On en apprend donc plus sur son travail avec la police et donc sur certains flics, ainsi que la façon dont Anita
Tabatha
Guilty Pleasures
This is the first Anita Blake novel I've read. Gotta say, pondering the possibilities of vampire civil rights legislation can be more fun than the average person should have in a day.
Action packed to the end, there was no wind-down. Once business was done, the book was over. Good thing the next one, The Laughing Corpse is right here in the same volume.
The Laughing Corpse
This one was a lot gorier than the first. But still good, a little more scary. Only thing that bugged me was J
Michelle
it's been many a year now since the first time i picked up these super fun Anita Blake books, the words that launched a thousand imitators and were pretty well the start of the whole modern-times supernatural adult fantasy/horror/mystery genre (see also: Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs, Lilith Saintcrow, Kim Harrison, etc etc). this is the first book-club edition of her stuff, comprising books 1,2, and 3 of the series, and up through book 6, this is the best it got.

the series deals with an outward
Chris
This is the book club edition of the first three Anita Blake books. Whether or not, you love or hate the later Blake books, you have to admit that the early books contributed in to the urban fantasy/ paranormal romance genre. There are problems with the books. Anita's back story changes slightly (sometimes in the same book) as does her age, every woman who is more powerful than Anita is bad. However, Anita is a far more sympathetic if not likeable here than in the later books. While Hamilton is ...more
Clacie
I reviewed each book individually (if you want to read them just look for them by title). I will definitely continue the series, however I'm not sure I like it enough to actually own any more books. I don't think I will be reading any of these for a second time. I'm not even sure I will be able to suggest this to friends yet, with the exception of one friend who may like it. Some books I read & I just have to talk about, this was just something I could mention in passing, but not really rave ...more
Patti
I have to say with all of the hype I've heard on Anita Blake I was disappointed.
I had heard that the beginning of the series was fantastic, awesome, great. I didn't think so. I am now hearing that the last few didn't quite measure up to the rest. That scares me. I started them anyway thinking that if they started getting stale or just not for me I'd stop. I think I've already gotten there. I have so many books on my to-read/review list that I can't waste any more of these.
Very disappointing.
Emilyn
Anita Blake is an animator and a necromancer. She is also a vampire slayer, very petite and an object of interest for the Master of the City of St. Louis. I quite liked the character, although she wasn't always internally consistent (her lack of suspicion of the lamia in the last book seemed very out of character to me).
This series will probably appeal to fans of Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs and Charlaine Harris.
Bekah
One of my friends had moved out of town and we were determined to keep in touch VIA "snail mail" (I was still fighting the computers at that time), so we would send eachother packages once a week. One of the first packages he sent me was this book. His boyfriend's ex had left it behind, and after he read it, he was sure I would love it. I've loved Laurell K. Hamilton and Anita Blake and her men ever since.
Voss
Non sono brutti, anzi. Però siamo sempre al solito punto: la protagonista non sbaglia mai, è sempre pronta, non gliela si fa manco per sbaglio.
Sono decenni che i protagonisti dei generi non si discostano da questi cliché, solo che ora sono donne.
Un po' più di realismo nei protagonisti non guasterebbe.
Helga
I had read the 17th book in the series (Harlequin), so I thought I should go to the beginning and start the series properly. At some point Hamilton diverges from edgy vampire fiction to "sexxing things up"; I'm torn as to whether I should go on to #4 and find out when this happens or leave the series well enough alone. I think I'll leave it alone for now.
Amber
The story is starting to get more interesting and now it is time to get the next book. The first three where not bad, but Not as good as I thought they would be. I do see why some of the newer books get their inspiration, however. I have seen bits and pieces of newer story lines in these three books. I have already started the fourth one.
Kimberly
I picked up Danse Macarbe on sale some time ago and was intrigued. I began searching for the first books in the Anita Blake series and finally came across this compilation. I am finally up-to-date with the series and I am looking forward to seeing what comes of Hit List which will be released next Tuesday.
Bethnoir
This was more fun than I anticipated and more gory. I really like the character of Anita, she's a tough cookie. I prefer it when her foes aren't decaying, but that's just a personal thing. These first 3 books have convinced me to go and look for more, whilst I wait for the new Kim Harrison book anyway.
Reagan Lacey
I think that Anita Blake kicks butt in such a way that you feel like your part of her. I also think that if you are not into vampires werewolves and any other creatures that you can think of you shouldnt read her books. I personally am in LOVE with the series and cant wait for more!
Jean
I really liked this book. If you like strong leading women characters in a vampire novel then Anita Blake is right up your alley. I must say that I was taken with Jean-Claude and am curious to read more about him. This book was full of action, sex, and the paranormal.
Ricardo
Jan 08, 2008 Ricardo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers
Shelves: vampires
Club Vampyre consist of three Anita Blake Novels:
Guilty Pleasures 1993
The Laughing Corpse 1994
Circus of the Dammed 1995

I discovered Laurell K Hamilton in June of 1999 and now have all of her books in Hardcover. These books would make make wonderfull movies.
Nichola
I've read these before but they're worth re-reading. The first few Anita Blake books are action packed and somewhat gruesome. Anita is tough as nails and hard to kill, with a smart-arse attitude to boot! These early novels, at least, are well worth reading.
Lisa Young
Read these a long time ago! Love them! Anita was kicking butt way before twilight, having kinky boy friends way before fifty shades of grey and even tho some feel like the series lost something it still is the best vampire series out there!
Angela
The first three books in the Anita Blake series!

The Laughing Corpse
Circus of the Damned

Hmmmm that last one...naked Richard. Happy day.

Signed by Laurell (in California, I made the trip just to get books signed!)
Holly
Jul 01, 2008 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any paranormal romance fan
I ordered this book through a book club back in 1997 and fell in love with Hamilton's writing and the stories that she wove, unfortunately it wasn't until 2003 that I came across more of her books, but hell I have been hooked since.
Ruth Taylor
I was given this book by one of my closest friends, and to be honest had never heard of the author or character. However, once I started to read I could not put this book down. It is a wonderful take on the vampire/slayer story line.
Wendy
of course i have read each of these books separately, but I saw that they came in this omnibus edition and had to have it that way i can make more space on my shelves by removing paperback versions.
April
Probably more of a 3.5 stars and I will definitely read more of the series. The writing improved with each story and I do like the characters a lot. Very curious to see where things go.
  • Dead Witches Tell No Tales (The Hollows, #3-4)
  • Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3)
  • Dead by Day (Sookie Stackhouse, #4-5)
  • Betsy the Vampire Queen (Undead, #1-4)
  • Novels by Laurell K. Hamilton: Cerulean Sins, Skin Trade, Flirt
  • Long-time Listener, First-time Werewolf (Kitty Norville, #1-3)
  • Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection
  • Vampires, Wine, and Roses
  • Wizard by Trade (The Dresden Files, #4-5)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 1 (Vampire Files, #1-3)
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • I Hunger for You (Primes, #3)
  • The Vampire Sextette
  • The Vampire Archives
  • Out of this World (Includes: In Death, #12.5; Immortal Witches, #4)
  • Dead Sexy (Garnet Lacey, #2)
  • Keeper of the King (Ethical Vampires #1)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more
More about Laurell K. Hamilton...

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)
Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1) Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3) The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4) Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)