Start by marking “Night Flying” as Want to Read:
Night Flying

Night Flying

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Georgia Hansen can fly. All the women in her family can. They fly at night, when the world sleeps, for no one must discover their secret. Georgia will soon turn 16 and make her first solo flight, taking up her birthright with a special ceremony to mark the occasion. But her anticipation is disrupted with the arrival of her rebellious Aunt Carmen. Banished from the family y ...more
Published November 14th 2000 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Night Flying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Flying

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonNight by Elie WieselAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
Night and Day
309th out of 353 books — 38 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanGraceling by Kristin CashoreAlanna by Tamora Pierce
Bitch Magazine 100 YA books for feminist readers
86th out of 100 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittany
This is my all time favourite book.
Nothing has ever surpassed this and I don't think anything will.
I can't pick what it is about it but I love it entirely.
Robert Beveridge
Rita Murphy, Night Flying (Delacorte, 2000)

Night Flying is one of those young adult books I happened to pick up by accident because it was in the wrong section at the Case book sale. Glad I did, because this is a fun little book. Murphy never talks down to her audience, refreshing in a YA novel, and better yet, adult readers won't gag on the sentiment. Murphy has a message, but she is as good as any novelist writing for adults (and better than most) at making it palatable.

Georgia Hansen is on th
Christian Gramuglia
I didn't like this book at all it was way to fake. It is about this little girl who is learning how to fly getting taught by her aunt. This is really all the book was about it gets really boring after a while. I recommend this book to people who are in to fiction only. It is a good book and it shows how close this girl and her aunt are but this book is boring.
Emily
An interesting family story about a girl, about to turn sixteen, in a family where the women can fly. That element is the only thing that makes this book fantasy. The book is played as realistic fiction where the family have this ability.

Georgia lives with her mother, 2 aunts, and grandmother. The grandmother rules all and is very uncompromising. Georgia will be "initiated" meaning have her first solo flight on the evening of her 16th birthday. Just before, though, her aunt Carmen, who Georgia h
Karen
A magical coming of age story where the all the women in family can fly. I'd recommend this book to those who enjoyed reading The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton.
Melissa
Fairly satisfactory book. It was a unique take on flying, but never really explains the how of it (very frustrating). Anyhow, I'd say this falls firmly in a fantasy coming of age story.

Dana ~the difference between them and me is that i will not fall~
Ehhhhhhhh.

This book read like a memoir, but in a weirdly bad and strange way.

Review soon-- possibly. I don't know when I'll have time.
Julie
May 03, 2008 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Julie by: Marilyn
This Book was recommended to me by a co-worker at the public library. It is very woman-centered. It is about a family of all women who can fly. It is a coming-of-age story about a young girl (Georgia Hansen) who discovers something powerful about her real mother. It is also coming-of-age in the context of her flying because at her 16th birthday-which is coming up soon-she is scheduled to make her first solo flight.

Karen
This is a young adult book but upon my daughter's strong recommendation I read it and loved it. The women in the story are strong and lovingly eccentric. The flying scenes that take place over Vermont are amazing and the stuff of vivid dreams. Georgia, the protagonist faces some tough choices linking her past to the present and longs to be able to fly freely-a real metaphor.
Aiyana
A coming of age story couched in a fantastic setting. The women in Georgia's family can fly-- but they all live under the thumb of the family matriarch. 15-year-old Georgia may be the only one with the courage to ask hard questions about her family's history, challenge the rules, and ultimately set them all free. The book feels a bit old-fashioned, but the descriptions are fabulous.
Kyla
This book could have been so much more. I loved her writing, I loved the story, it just seemed incomplete. Everything, and I mean everything, was just barely touched on. It had just enough to make you interested and then it would never be brought up again. I hope she fixes this flaw in her writing and writes more because I think she has a lot of potential.
Rachel Meyers
I liked this book pretty well. It was an interesting concept and it was a page turner. However, I thought the ending was a bit premature. I picked it up because I thought my 10 year old would like to read it. I think there were some coming of age parts that I wouldn't be comfortable with her reading.
Ybgenny
Really happy that I decided to read Night Flying.
A nutshell review would be that its wonderfully written story that picks you up and you are taken into it.
If you are looking for a good quickish read, then pick up a copy if you can. <3
Asenath
May 12, 2009 Asenath added it
Shelves: ya-lit
A family of women who have the ability to fly at night. Grandmother is an oppressive witch, who keeps the daughters under tight control. Probably symbolic to the author...
Jerjonji
A Delacourt prize winner about a girl who can fly and the family of women that raised her. The flying scenes were incredible, but the story line was thin and predictable.
Jenny
Jun 20, 2009 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Listened to this in the car - it grew on me - all female book made for an interesting coming of age tale- liked the lyrical writing
Tina
An interesting premise for a book- a family of women fliers. I enjoyed this read, but somehow, it felt unfinished to me.
Ashleigh
i am really enjoying this book so far. my favorite character is carmen, she really adds surprise to the story.
Karin Seino
One of my favourite books as a girl. It inspired me to keep a dream-diary until my late teens.
Laurel Ann
I've read this book at least 20 times. It's a perfect quick read for a rainy day.
elissa
Magical realism title about a family of witches, with a teenager as protagonist.
Erin O.
I LOVE this book! I've read it over and over and it's great each time.
Faith Quick
i just enjoyed the women in this book and wished i could fly with them!
Debbie
Loved it! My only criticism -- what made Grandma such vile creature?
Laurel
Kind of predictable and bland. The cover art was my favorite part.
Jane
Great story for a pre-teen or early teen girl.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Debbie Harry Sings in French
  • When the Black Girl Sings
  • Dancing in Red Shoes Will Kill You
  • Revenge
The daughter of a pianist and an English teacher, she grew up surrounded by stories, rhythm and the creative process. After her son was born in 1992, she discovered her love of storytelling and began writing short stories. In 1999, her first novel, Night Flying won the Delacorte Press Prize at Random House Children's Books, was voted one of the Best Books for Young Adults by The American Library A ...more
More about Rita Murphy...
Bird Black Angels Harmony Looking for Lucy Buick