Start by marking “Traditions and Encounters with Powerweb; MP” as Want to Read:
Traditions and Encounters with Powerweb; MP

Traditions and Encounters with Powerweb; MP

This groundbreaking world history text has, in its first edition, become a market leader by offering a fresh, global perspective on the past. The text is unique in approach; covering the world as a whole, examining the formations and development of the world' s major societies (" traditions" ), and also systematically exploring cross-cultural interactions and exchanges tha ...more
Published June 5th 2002 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Langua (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Traditions and Encounters with Powerweb; MP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traditions and Encounters with Powerweb; MP

Zoe H.
Apr 06, 2017 Zoe H. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good textbook for AP world. It has all of the important information in an easy to understand format with a few interesting facts, but not enough to be distracting or annoying. It's a lot shorter than a lot of AP textbooks my class used but it has a lot more useful information. Honestly, the only reason I rated it so low was because the class stole my soul and I'm dead inside now and find no joy in anything. The textbook also has a timeline at the end of each chapter which is goo ...more
Nolan
Apr 24, 2017 Nolan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty good text book. It explains everything in an easy to understand way and includes a lot of information I never knew before and I'm glad I do. However, sometimes they use words or refer to things that they never define, which can hurt your understanding.
Pamela
Feb 20, 2012 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: AP World students
One of the most detailed and all-encompassing textbooks I have read so far in high school. Goes into great depth, skipping all the fluff and going straight to the hard facts, themes, and comparisons. My AP US history textbook pales in comparison to this.
Maheja
Jul 08, 2013 Maheja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: required-reading
This entire thing is bullshit. Just kidding. I didn't even read chapter 40 so I feel like I'm cheating when I say that I finished it. Oh well.
Jessica
Jun 30, 2013 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
fuck this shit
Chad
THIS BOOK REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Ana
Aug 17, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the first textbook I actually read in completion. It is so detailed, and organized in a way that makes it easy for me to compare and study the progress of different societies while in the same time periods. I gathered that the purpose of this book was to showcase the larger movements felt throughout history and the effects societies had on each other, as well as a normal fact-giving textbook. This is a great basic introduction to world history (to truly understand world history, ...more
Jasmine
I must confess, I didn't actually full out read more than 5-6 chapters of this book. I basically skimmed many paragraphs to review for tests and to do my homework.

I think that this book was the most boring thing I have ever had the misfortune of having to read, but I gave it two stars simply because this book wasn't made for 9th/10th grade students to enjoy. I think that this was meant to be very informing and supposed to be a treat for history buffs.

I liked how they brought back concepts from
Danielle
I read this textbook for an Ancient Civilizations class, and I really enjoyed it. The book is well researched, and even with as much as I know about different cultures, and in depth info about subjects like Ancient Greece, and the spread of Christianity, I still learned new things. I liked how the author worded movements and ideas in new language rather than the same expressions heard in each class.
Hildegart
Apr 30, 2012 Hildegart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is perhaps the WORST required textbook I have ever owned. It is an abridged version where they have deleted whole paragraphs. there paragraphs were oftentimes needed to understand the topic. It was so bad that I went out and bought a different textbook for my world history class. The unabridged version was fine and very readable and cleared up many questions that the abridged version caused.
Killer Queen
I'm reading this for my AP World History class. My teacher said that we were going to read most of the book, so I figured I would just but this textbook on my "currently reading" shelf.

EDIT: I have read most of this book. Not as much as some as my other classmates, but nonetheless most.

The set up for the chapters was kinda weird and I didn't like it, but I also didn't hate it.
Angie Pangan
It wasn't terrible. Though last year I absolutely hated taking notes on this text book. But compared to Brinkley's textbook this one has way more pictures and a larger font, which certainly made me happy. I'm still glad to be done with AP World History.
AM Huebner
Sep 29, 2013 AM Huebner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was assigned this book for AP world, but I bought a copy for myself just because it was so good. It has a wonderful and concise historical perspective. It's a must for any student of history. (And it helped me get a 5 on the ap test.)
Hildegart
May 02, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This book is way better than the 'concise' abridged version. This one you can read and understand. As with any textbook that covers world history, there are sections that seem to be lacking a little information, but remember, this is a survey book.
Zoe
Apr 10, 2013 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apwh
Since I'm only a sophomore, this is the best history textbook that I've read yet. However, I do recommend supplementing it with other textbooks that include more charts, maps, and foundations period content.
Brandy
Only because I have to...
Rebecca A. Rogers
"Read" for World Civilizations I and II. I say "read" because I skimmed over most of it.

So. Freaking. Boring.
Jenny
I'm not rating this book because I read it for AP World History. If you are not taking the AP test or the college course this book is probably not for you. It was very informative, though. ;)
Sydney
Mar 15, 2014 Sydney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Complete and utter hatred is what i feel for this book.
Aurora Italia
Hate this book had to read it for AP World they way they describe history is so boring and annoying it makes me want to hate my favorite subject.
Micah
when they say brief they meant brief. Survey book that was assigned in class. would rather have not read it at all.
Jerryxuan
Good for intro to the subject, but not a good read
Bobby Cockrell
Apr 01, 2016 Bobby Cockrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This world history text book is very analytical, but it could use some work with organization. It includes many useful maps and primary sources dealing with information relevant to the text.
Alex Bellisario
Uses 'indeed' too much
Laura rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2014
Yeseniasc1
Yeseniasc1 rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
John Tosin
John Tosin rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Jessica Thurlow
Jessica Thurlow rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Science and Technology in World History: An Introduction
  • Signs of Life in the U.S.A.: Readings on Popular Culture for Writers
  • Fictional Worlds: Traditions in Narrative and the Age of Visual Culture, Vols 1-4 (Storytelling on Screen)
  • Medieval Machine: The Industrial Revolution of the Middle Ages
  • Ancient Inventions
  • Discrete Mathematics with Applications
  • 1001 Inventions That Changed the World
  • Canon EOS Rebel T3i/600D: From Snapshots to Great Shots
  • Is Multiculturalism Bad for Women?
  • Warrior Women: An Archaeologist's Search for History's Hidden Heroines
  • Empires of the Silk Road: A History of Central Eurasia from the Bronze Age to the Present
  • Politics, Culture, and Class in the French Revolution
  • Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text
  • Memory and the Mediterranean