Ich folgte den rosa Delfinen. Auf den Spuren eines Mythos im Amazonasgebiet.

Ich folgte den rosa Delfinen. Auf den Spuren eines Mythos im Amazonasgebiet.

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Pink dolphins--and yes, in the Amazon River the flamingo-colored mammals do exist--are believed by Brazilians and Peruvians to take human form, impregnate women, lure lovers to an underwater paradise, and in various ways drive those who encounter them mad. They seem to have worked their magic on science writer Sy Montgomery, who journeys through rain forests and sunken cit...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Ullstein Tb (first published January 1st 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Ich folgte den rosa Delfinen. Auf den Spuren eines Mythos im Amazonasgebiet.

Petra X
I was really looking forward to this book as I'd lived up the Amazon myself at one time but it was a dud. Just plain precious, somewhat overwritten and ultimately irritatingly bad.

I knew no more about pink dolphins at the end of the book than I did after the first few chapters. The author did say that no-one knows anything much about the pink dolphins, including researchers who had studied them for years, so why write the book if you don't know anything much about them either?

Don't tell me that...more
Katrina Dreamer
I've had this since 1998 and I finally read it while recovering from surgery. I completely fell in love with it and I can't believe I waited more than 10 years to read it!

Montgomery's descriptions are fantastic, her love for the animals is apparent, and her tenderness and insight are wedded magically. Like Robert Payne's Among Whales, this book made me want to drop everything and go observe some animal, any animal, in its native habitat. I want to read everything she's ever written now.
Barbara
I didn't even know there were freshwater dolphins, let alone Pepto-Bismol-pink ones, before I read this book. I read it again after traveling along the Peruvian Amazon and seeing the dolphins,and enjoyed it even more the 2nd time. Fascinating information about the dolphins as animals and about the foklore that the river people weave around them. Also a fun adventure travel story.
Linnae
Montgomery goes in search of the pink dolphins of the Amazon which have thoroughly captured her heart and imagination (though not her soul just yet), and brings us along for the ride.

The more I read about the rainforest regions of South American, the more fascinated I become. Yes, the dolphins she's after are really pink! Not only are there all kinds of environmental and cultural issues surrounding them, there are also scores of legends and stories about their interaction with humans--sometimes...more
Hayley
Need a book to help you remove your head from the sand? This is it. Follow Sy to and through the Amazon on her search for pink river dolphins, the botos, and learn their myths and stories. The book is so much more than the physical journey, although walls dissolve and you are suddenly in an aluminum boat floating through the flooded forests, a rain of biting ants falling on you, but you learn about the people, the tribes, the rubber barons and gold miners, the medicine men and the scientists...i...more
Brittany
Either I'd forgotten how purple Montgomery's prose could be or this one was purpl-ier than the rest. Either that I just wasn't in the right place for an evocative purple nature book, because I had trouble getting through this one. The fact that there actually aren't very many dolphins in the book--but there is a lot of looking for them--may also have been a contributing factor.
Catherine  Mustread
Jul 14, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: NE Booksellers
Fascinating travel/animal/nature look at the Amazon Rain Forest. Montgomery combines factual information with dolphin mythology. Author won the New England booksellers award for non-fiction. Lack of index and summary of facts would prevent this from being useful for a school report.
Carol
To be honest, I didn't even know pink dolphins existed before we read this book. It also gave a very nice overview of the creatures, plants and people of the Amazon and the problems they are facing. A says that she thinks pink dolphins are her new favorite water animal.
Tracy Elizabeth
I have always been fascinated by dolphins and The Amazon... this book fulfilled my expectations of both. Now I just wish I could afford to go there myself. I would start out in Manaus too.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I really like the way Mongomery writes-- as if you're right there with her. This book introduced me to pink dolphins, which I'd never heard of before.
Kristine
Uneven in tone and too focused on the legends of the dolphin rather than it´s reality, I was still sucked in by those amazing pink river dolphins.
Amy
Amazing reading from my Research and Documentary writing class. Montgomery shocked and pleased me with her sensual presence in the story.
Stephanie
Not something I would pick -up and read but was recommended by a friend. Interesting from many perspectives.
Katie
Slow, but intriguing research and stories of living in the Amazon.
Kate
Sadly, a poorly written book about amazing creatures.
Ellen
This book reads like you are actually touring the Amazon.
Audrey
It was very beneficial to my Brazil/Amazon trip...
Cindy Pardew
Photographs by: Dianne Taylor-Snow
Andrea
Jul 22, 2010 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: Gift from my daughter (she knows her mom)
If you love learning new things and love nature a great book to add to your collection. Very well written and filled with more wonders of the world!
Brenda

I really loved this book about pink river dolphins!
PWRL
Feb 08, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Zainab
Zainab marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Joe Wilson
Joe Wilson marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Zoë
Zoë marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
  • The Species Seekers: Heroes, Fools, and the Mad Pursuit of Life on Earth
  • The Lizard King: The True Crimes and Passions of the World's Greatest Reptile Smugglers
  • Listening to Whales: What the Orcas Have Taught Us
  • The Snake Charmer: A Life and Death in Pursuit of Knowledge
  • The Bedside Book of Birds: An Avian Miscellany
  • The Dangerous World of Butterflies: The Startling Subculture of Criminals, Collectors, and Conservationists
  • Monster of God: The Man-Eating Predator in the Jungles of History and the Mind
  • The Whale Warriors: The Battle at the Bottom of the World to Save the Planet's Largest Mammals
  • Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
  • Reflections of Eden: My Years with the Orangutans of Borneo
  • The Dolphin in the Mirror: Exploring Dolphin Minds and Saving Dolphin Lives
  • The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife
  • The Urban Bestiary: Encountering the Everyday Wild
  • Mind of the Raven: Investigations and Adventures with Wolf-Birds
  • Being Caribou: Seven Months on Foot with an Arctic Herd
  • Life in the Undergrowth
  • Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home: And Other Unexplained Powers of Animals
  • Red-Tails in Love: PALE MALE'S STORY--A True Wildlife Drama in Central Park
Part Indiana Jones, part Emily Dickinson, as the Boston Globe describes her, Sy Montgomery is an author, naturalist, documentary scriptwriter, and radio commentator who has traveled to some of the worlds most remote wildernesses for her work. She has worked in a pit crawling with 18,000 snakes in Manitoba, been hunted by a tiger in India, swum with pink dolphins in the Amazon, and been undressed b...more
More about Sy Montgomery...
The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot Birdology: Adventures with a Pack of Hens, a Peck of Pigeons, Cantankerous Crows, Fierce Falcons, Hip Hop Parrots, Baby Hummingbirds, and One Murderously Big Living Dinosaur Walking with the Great Apes: Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, Birute Galdikas