How High Can a Dinosaur Count?: ...and Other Math Mysteries

How High Can a Dinosaur Count?: ...and Other Math Mysteries

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Believe it or not, once Bessie balanced a tower of 8 beets. But today, when she tries to balance 8 beets . . . 3 fall. How many beets does Bessie balance today?

A clever text and imaginative art mesh to create playful, simple math problems right on target for ages 5–99 . . . anyone who loves the magic of numbers! In this School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, budding...more
Published February 14th 2006 by Schwartz & Wade

Sarah Bringhurst Familia
As well as our formal math program, I schedule time reading "math literature" into our homeschooling days. And this is one of the more delightful finds off our library shelf. Each page has a whimsical illustration, and then an alliterative word problem that goes along with it. For example:
The heavenly hats at Madame Millie's Millinery are brimming with blossoms, butterflies, and bows. Heloise wants all of them, but she has only 2 dimes, 2 nickels, and three pennies to spend. Can Heloise buy a h
Lisa Carroll
This is a wonderful concept book about math. The pictures are delightful and whimsical. Many of the math problems are too difficult for a young child in pre-school to solve, but some of them are simple enough if the question was explained in a thorough manner. You can also have the child point out certain items in the picture. The illustrations in the book were absolutely amazing. This book had pictures that all children would enjoy. It is important to have various types of books, including math...more
Candice Mckinnon
This book is great if children need to work on word problems because it has a variety of problems within the book. They range from money problems to basic addition and subtraction. The pictures are large, colorful, and have clues that helps the children solve the problem. Teachers could incorporate this book into a math lesson about word problems.
Evelyn Matias
This book is cute and I think it has great examples in it to use to teach math. Each page is a different math mystery so you may need to solve an adding problem, subtracting, odd/even etc. The title doesn't really have anything to do with the math mysteries that are done on each page but it's still a great source of examples.
Rachel
This book has many math problems on a 3rd or 4th grade level. Some of the questions are kind of hard to understand because of all of the alliterations. I liked how there were many different kinds of math questions, as well as many more math questions at the end of the book.
Kyla
This book is really cool and the illustrations are bright and fun. The book shows the number of an object on one page and you can see the picture on the other that relates to it. The students could count the 6 red phones and this is good for teaching children to count.
Betty Matthews
I could have used this picture book math "word problem" book when I was in the first grade. Valorie Fisher's computer generated and hand colored 3-D photographs give the child reader visual space to look at as the child ponders the answers to the math questions.
Dana
Wow,I never knew they had books like this!

They are like miny story problems and very well written which can help kids very much with math, but also reading at the same time!

I like this book a lot.
Shelley
Concept Book. This book is so cool! There are fun math questions on each page with fun pictures, and for every math mystery there are solutions and more questions to ask in the back!
Jenny
This book was fun for my 5.5 year old during the first half of the math questions. Then it got harder and wasn't as interesting to him. He did like the search for the numbers pages though.
Katrina
Give activities for each page (ex. can you find all the prime numbers on this page). Writing seemed to try to be rhthmic and poetic but wasn't really.
Codie Gates
This book contains word problems on every page that range in difficulty. The illustrations are great and the book is fun.
Paula
Beautiful illustrations. to lengthy for a story time.
Fifteen miniature worlds, each showcasing a math problem.
Austin
A book that had to deal with math. It was alright, but not very interesting.
Mbrooke
Great concept math book. Excellent use of allertiaton.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Boat
Boat marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jan 15, 2014
Grettel
Grettel marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Courtney Angelo
Courtney Angelo marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Kevin Huinink
Kevin Huinink marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Everything I Need to Know Before I'm Five Ellsworth's Extraordinary Electric Ears and Other Amazing Alphabet Anecdotes My Big Brother When Ruby Tried to Grow Candy My Big Sister