Start by marking “How High Can a Dinosaur Count?: ...and Other Math Mysteries” as Want to Read:
How High Can a Dinosaur Count?: ...and Other Math Mysteries

How High Can a Dinosaur Count?: ...and Other Math Mysteries

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Believe it or not, once Bessie balanced a tower of 8 beets. But today, when she tries to balance 8 beets . . . 3 fall. How many beets does Bessie balance today?

A clever text and imaginative art mesh to create playful, simple math problems right on target for ages 5–99 . . . anyone who loves the magic of numbers! In this School Library Journal Best Book of the Year, budding
Published February 14th 2006 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about How High Can a Dinosaur Count?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How High Can a Dinosaur Count?

Sarah Bringhurst
Apr 25, 2012 Sarah Bringhurst rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math
As well as our formal math program, I schedule time reading "math literature" into our homeschooling days. And this is one of the more delightful finds off our library shelf. Each page has a whimsical illustration, and then an alliterative word problem that goes along with it. For example:
The heavenly hats at Madame Millie's Millinery are brimming with blossoms, butterflies, and bows. Heloise wants all of them, but she has only 2 dimes, 2 nickels, and three pennies to spend. Can Heloise buy a h
Alexis Weber
Personal Reaction: The illustrations in this book really drew me in, they are all very colorful and bright and I think younger students will be delighted and intrigued by them. This book set up is a whimsical and fun way to convey math problems. Giving students a fun way to look at math can be a really good starting block versus immediately indulging them in straight forward problems that only use numbers.

Purpose/Use in the Classroom: With such simple math problems throughout the book I think th
Lisa Carroll
Feb 17, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful concept book about math. The pictures are delightful and whimsical. Many of the math problems are too difficult for a young child in pre-school to solve, but some of them are simple enough if the question was explained in a thorough manner. You can also have the child point out certain items in the picture. The illustrations in the book were absolutely amazing. This book had pictures that all children would enjoy. It is important to have various types of books, including math ...more
Dorathy
Jul 27, 2014 Dorathy rated it liked it
Shelves: concept
Cute and quirky poetry help students work math word problems. I'd use this to introduce/teach alliteration as well as have students complete the practical math problems. It would be great for a centers station. I'd use it for grades 2-4.
Jc
May 26, 2014 Jc rated it really liked it
Quite a nice little book, lots of color and whimsy. A kid could fave fun with this and still build some math skills. Having an adult to plow thru the answers in the back would be most helpful.
Abby Zwetzig
This is a good book to teach kids math problems and math vocabulary. Every page has a math problems for the children to solve and count out on the page. It is an interactive book kind of like "I Spy" where the kids are finding all the odd numbers or counting how many daisies are on pages. This could be an independent reading book for a child or a group of children in kindergarten or first grade. This would be hard to do read aloud with because kids need to point the answers out and look closely ...more
Mikayla Scott
This book is a very good math-literature piece. Not only where there really well written story problems, but the pictures were also tied into the problems.
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting, math, numbers
A very nice overview of a lot of different kinds of math problems. Each math problem has a little story and illustration to go with it. In the back are more word problems to go with the pictures if you wanted to expand on them.

Very good illustrations!
Cheyenne
Jul 22, 2014 Cheyenne rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, k-math
Great for problem of the day at the end of Kindergarten.
Erin
Oct 03, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silly, tongue twisting words problems make math fun and approachable in this cute picture book. My 4 and 6 year olds loved it!
Candice Mckinnon
Jul 19, 2012 Candice Mckinnon rated it liked it
Shelves: math-book-shelf
This book is great if children need to work on word problems because it has a variety of problems within the book. They range from money problems to basic addition and subtraction. The pictures are large, colorful, and have clues that helps the children solve the problem. Teachers could incorporate this book into a math lesson about word problems.
Evelyn Matias
Oct 28, 2012 Evelyn Matias rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book is cute and I think it has great examples in it to use to teach math. Each page is a different math mystery so you may need to solve an adding problem, subtracting, odd/even etc. The title doesn't really have anything to do with the math mysteries that are done on each page but it's still a great source of examples.
Rachel
Jun 19, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
This book has many math problems on a 3rd or 4th grade level. Some of the questions are kind of hard to understand because of all of the alliterations. I liked how there were many different kinds of math questions, as well as many more math questions at the end of the book.
Kyla
Mar 19, 2012 Kyla rated it liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
This book is really cool and the illustrations are bright and fun. The book shows the number of an object on one page and you can see the picture on the other that relates to it. The students could count the 6 red phones and this is good for teaching children to count.
Betty Matthews
Jan 11, 2008 Betty Matthews rated it really liked it
I could have used this picture book math "word problem" book when I was in the first grade. Valorie Fisher's computer generated and hand colored 3-D photographs give the child reader visual space to look at as the child ponders the answers to the math questions.
Dana
Jun 16, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wow,I never knew they had books like this!

They are like miny story problems and very well written which can help kids very much with math, but also reading at the same time!

I like this book a lot.
Jenny
Aug 09, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This book was fun for my 5.5 year old during the first half of the math questions. Then it got harder and wasn't as interesting to him. He did like the search for the numbers pages though.
Katrina
Jun 07, 2008 Katrina rated it liked it
Give activities for each page (ex. can you find all the prime numbers on this page). Writing seemed to try to be rhthmic and poetic but wasn't really.
Codie Gates
Jan 20, 2012 Codie Gates rated it it was amazing
This book contains word problems on every page that range in difficulty. The illustrations are great and the book is fun.
Paula
Beautiful illustrations. to lengthy for a story time.
Fifteen miniature worlds, each showcasing a math problem.
Austin
May 24, 2008 Austin rated it it was ok
A book that had to deal with math. It was alright, but not very interesting.
Mbrooke
Jul 31, 2011 Mbrooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Great concept math book. Excellent use of allertiaton.
Ioan Marginean
Ioan Marginean marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Darla Deibler
Darla Deibler marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Fox
Fox added it
May 12, 2016
Gabi Mercado
Gabi Mercado rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Jayden Mahoney
Jayden Mahoney rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016