Start by marking “The Mine-O-Saur” as Want to Read:
The Mine-O-Saur

The Mine-O-Saur

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  94 reviews
A group of dinosaurs is happily playing in the school yard when . . . oh no! Here comes the Mine-o-saur! He snatches all the toys. He grabs all the snacks at snack time. He hoards the blocks during recess. And all the while he yells, ?MINE, MINE, MINE!?

But soon enough, no one wants to play with him. What will it take for the Mine-o-saur to realize that what he really wants
Published September 20th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mine-O-Saur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mine-O-Saur

Betsy
Books with a message are the most frightening kind of picture book on the planet. They can go real bad, real preachy, and real ugly real fast. Self-published authors love `em. So too do new parents with unshakable beliefs in bibliotherapy. And as a children's librarian it is my job to wade through the lot of them to find the ones that are the best. When a parent walks up to you and says, "I want a picture book about sharing," you know that the clock is ticking and that you need to rustle up the ...more
Anna
Aug 06, 2008 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents with toddlers
Shelves: read-to-kids
Although this book is probably the reason why my son learned to say "mine", it's still a great book. It's cute and entertaining for adults who read with their kids. And it teaches manners (or at least tries to) which is probably the best part.
Shannon Jones
It is kind of sad, but then it gets happy. I know it to easy, but I like it.
Carly
Mine-O-Saur does not want to share anything with his classmates, he wants it all to himself. He won't share toys and he won't share snack. He won't share anything. He soon learns that people don't want to be friends with someone who won't share. So Mine-O-Saur takes everything he has taken and puts it out for everyone to use. Once all is forgiven, he realizes that he now has something that is even better than all of the snacks and toys: friends.

Sharing is something that almost all young childre
Linda Branich
The colorful, cartoon-like illustrations of different dinosaurs enhance this story of a selfish and possessive dinosaur, nicknamed MINE-O-Saur. Mine-O-Saur thinks everything is his, from snacks to toys, and eventually gets in trouble at school and alienates his friends. In his loneliness, he finally realizes the consequences of his behavior and convinces the other dinosaurs that he sincerely wants to share and play with them. The story is written mostly in rhyme.
Jenn
A wonderful book! My 3 yr old loved it over and over! He focuses on the fact the Mineosaur broke a car - a total horror in the house! He does share most of the time with other kids but when he doesn't, we pull the "Are you a mineosaur?" card. You can then see the wheels in his mind turning when he choses to share.
Though it seems long, its not long winded. It holds his attention (and my own) by adding rhymes every other page.
I highly recommend it!
Shelby Royalty
This book would be loved by young children. The illustrations are lovely, the rhyming is nice, and the message on sharing is very well written. In this story, the mine-o-saur thinks that everything is his. He shouts and grabs, and causes all kinds of problems, until he realizes that no one wants to be around him. At the end, he realizes what he has done, and learns to share with his friends.
Alison Durbin
I loved this book; not only because I love dinosaurs, but I loved the focus on friendship. I think most, if not all, children go through this phase, and I think they would find this funny. I also like how there was a rhythm to the words that were in red text- you could almost sing them if you were so inclined. I think this would be a fun book to have for younger readers.
Rachel
The Mine-O-Saur is a clever book that teaches students about sharing with one another. I would use this book in a kindergarten or first grade level. The story is simple and fun but gets the message across. I enjoyed the dinosaur theme along with the illustrations. I think that students will love this book and hopefully will learn something as well.
Ashley Enlow
The best dinosaur book I have read in a long time! Mine-O-Saur takes all the toys from the other dinosaurs and they don't want to be his friend. The Mine-O-Saur tries to make the other dinosaurs happy and be his friend. I would use this book for the younger group of kiddos to teach that sharing is a great way to maintain friendships.
Taylor Brady
This book is a cute illustration of a dinosaur wanting everything for himself and in turn pushing all of his friends away. This book demonstrates the importance of sharing with your friends, as well as an opportunity to discuss the development of manners and the emotions others feel is these situations.
Priscilla
Mine-o- Saur is a great book to read to young children that don’t like to share. It will teach them that it’s not nice to share that if you don’t share no one will want to play with you. The book is well illustrated, and children will like how it rhymes.
Stephanie Croaning
I heard about this picture book in a blog about read-alouds for exceptional students. This is a cute story that teaches about sharing using dinosaurs, and some rhyming text. It's not overly preachy, but teaches young children about making friends.
Amanda Short
Maybe a little hesitant to read it to my kids. I surely don't want them getting the wrong idea. It ends good, but I think I'll wait until I see a problem with them sharing before I introduce this one.
Rosa Cline
Jun 26, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a creatively written story using rhymes and dinosaurs to tell the story of one little dinosaur that wouldn't play with others and was always grabbing everything from everyone and saying "Mine, mine, mine" And he soon learns it's not fun to do that. That he misses out on activities at school 'cause the teacher makes him clean up. He misses out on having fun at recess 'cause no one wants to play with him and be his friend. In the end he goes and says he's sorry and the others play with him ...more
Ashley Storms
This adorable book about a dinosaur that has a hard time sharing with others is a delightful read. It helps students understand the importance of sharing with others and about friendship. Recommended for primary students.
Lyndsey Hurm
This book is about a dinosaur who does not share but then he gets lonely and decides that he is going to start sharing so that he can make friends. This is a good book to talk about word-play because of how they changed the word dinosaur to mine-o-saur to give it a different meaning. Students can use this as an example and then try to make up some words like this on their own. I could also use this book to teach rhyming because it rhymes throughout the story. The pictures also do a great job of ...more
Sarah Snyder
This was not my favorite book. I didn't like the use of the words being in red and black. The story line wasn't the best for me either.
Kristin Schmidt
This is one of my son's go-to books at bedtime. It's a sweet story that flows really well, and it has actually really helped my son understand the concept of sharing!:) (He's two and a half.)
Rachel
it was ok. part of it rhymed but not the whole little part, 3 out of 4 lines. it was weird reading a story set up this way
Markus
Loved the story but especially the pictures. Read it to my nephew who had it in his library.
Emyrose8
Good lesson to learn about sharing... I know some kids who should read this book...
Nicole
Cute and teaches abour sharing without being too preachy. The illustrations are great!
Carla Pelayo
This is a favorite book of MINE! The Mine-O-Saur is a character young children can empathize with in this colorful tale of sharing and friendship. I have often read this story to children of mixed ages, and its message is simple, yet powerful. The vivid expressions of the dinosaur characters will appeal to boys and girls. The text also allows for the reader to use "voices" and the easy rhymes are italicized in red and will capture the audience's attention. This is a great read aloud book if your ...more
Barbara Signorelli
I thought this book was very funny. I read it to my little brother.
Lifeonthefarminalabama
Boys loved it. 6yr old followed along and answered questions about it
Lisa Carroll
This picture book would be a wonderful addition to the pre-school and kindergarden classroom. Children seem to enjoy stories about dinosaurs and this one would satsify their curiousity and interest while teaching them the powerful message of sharing, friendship, and forgiveness. We bought this book last year at a yard sale and have found that it is enjoyable and my son shares much better with his friends after having read this. The pictures are lively, colorful and engaging. The book gets its po ...more
Alison
I remember when I did not like sharing my things; however, I learned that by sharing, one can gain friendship. That is exactly what this story is about. In addition to that wonderful life lesson, it is a poetry book. I would use this book to show the importance of sharing and caring in addition to learning about the many styles of poetry.
Kelli
Fun to read. Good moral.
Shawna Sachs
The Mine-o-Saur is a very good book to read to children to teach them how to share. The Mine-o-saur kept on taking everything away from his friends and pretty soon he ended up all alone with no one to play with and he was really sad. He realizes that he would rather give his toys to other people to play with even if they did not want to play with him. The Mine-o-Saur learned his lesson. All children who have a hard time sharing should have this book read to them and then they might realize what ...more
  • Roar of a Snore
  • Read to Tiger
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
172051
Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen is an award-winning children's book author whose books include Duck Duck Moose, Chicks Run Wild, Pirate Princess, Hampire!, and the forthcoming Orangutangled. She visits schools around the country to talk about the craft of writing to children of all ages. "Every book is an autobiography" is a favorite saying of hers, and a big part of her message is that everyone, grownup ...more
More about Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen...
Duck, Duck, Moose! Chicks Run Wild Tyrannosaurus Wrecks! Hampire! Pirate Princess