Start by marking “The Mine-O-Saur” as Want to Read:

The Mine-O-Saur
Published September 20th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mine-O-Saur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mine-O-Saur

Christina
My son checked this out from the library today and we just read it for bedtime. Such an adorable book with a good message about sharing and friendship :)
Betsy
Dec 29, 2007 Betsy rated it really liked it
Books with a message are the most frightening kind of picture book on the planet. They can go real bad, real preachy, and real ugly real fast. Self-published authors love `em. So too do new parents with unshakable beliefs in bibliotherapy. And as a children's librarian it is my job to wade through the lot of them to find the ones that are the best. When a parent walks up to you and says, "I want a picture book about sharing," you know that the clock is ticking and that you need to rustle up the ...more
Anna
Aug 06, 2008 Anna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents with toddlers
Shelves: read-to-kids
Although this book is probably the reason why my son learned to say "mine", it's still a great book. It's cute and entertaining for adults who read with their kids. And it teaches manners (or at least tries to) which is probably the best part.
Shannon Jones
Sep 18, 2013 Shannon Jones rated it it was amazing
It is kind of sad, but then it gets happy. I know it to easy, but I like it.
Cinthya Murguia
This book would be so good to use when you are trying to teach kids about sharing. We all know that some kids don't like sharing and they tend to want ALL of the toys in the classroom! This book is about that situation and it would be so good to read the book to kids and they will learn to share of maybe they can learn about being generous!
Abby Willaims
Sep 29, 2016 Abby Willaims rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230-b
This book would be great for young students in any elementary classroom that is having trouble with the concept of sharing. The story was interesting and relatable. The illustrations were very eye catching.
Callie Rehm
Sep 12, 2016 Callie Rehm rated it liked it
#5 The Mine-O-Saur

The Mine-O-Saur has a sharing problem. He refuses to share his toys at recess or his snacks at snack time. It does not take long for the Mine-O-Saur to realize that his classmates have no interest in being friends with a dinosaur that doesn’t play fair or take turns. After being alone, surrounded by his new toys and snacks, the Mine-O-Saur learns what he really wants is to have friends.

The theme of this story is expressed through the Mine-O-Saur’s realization of the importance
Adam C Campbell
Sep 19, 2016 Adam C Campbell rated it really liked it
Cheesy but fun
Carly
Nov 04, 2012 Carly rated it it was amazing
Mine-O-Saur does not want to share anything with his classmates, he wants it all to himself. He won't share toys and he won't share snack. He won't share anything. He soon learns that people don't want to be friends with someone who won't share. So Mine-O-Saur takes everything he has taken and puts it out for everyone to use. Once all is forgiven, he realizes that he now has something that is even better than all of the snacks and toys: friends.

Sharing is something that almost all young childre
SarahLynn Camper
Sep 09, 2016 SarahLynn Camper rated it really liked it
If you have a little one having a hard time sharing this is a great learn a lesson book. It helps them understand what the consequences of their selfishness could be.
Kristen
Aug 25, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I had to pick this one up when I saw it at the library. My daughter is the Queen of "Mine" lately. Though she's only (almost) 2, I want to break this habit quickly.

This book was pretty cute. Although, every time the dino said "Mine, Mine, mine" in the book, my daughter said it too, thinking it was funny. She might be a little too young to really understand the point of the book - that the poor little Dino didn't end up having any friends who wanted to play with him because he was always hogging
Lyndsey Hurm
This book is about a dinosaur who does not share but then he gets lonely and decides that he is going to start sharing so that he can make friends. This is a good book to talk about word-play because of how they changed the word dinosaur to mine-o-saur to give it a different meaning. Students can use this as an example and then try to make up some words like this on their own. I could also use this book to teach rhyming because it rhymes throughout the story. The pictures also do a great job of ...more
Rosa Cline
Jun 26, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a creatively written story using rhymes and dinosaurs to tell the story of one little dinosaur that wouldn't play with others and was always grabbing everything from everyone and saying "Mine, mine, mine" And he soon learns it's not fun to do that. That he misses out on activities at school 'cause the teacher makes him clean up. He misses out on having fun at recess 'cause no one wants to play with him and be his friend. In the end he goes and says he's sorry and the others play with him ...more
Michelle
Jul 15, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
This book is so great. As you can tell by the title, it's all about learning how to share. The "Mine-O-Saur" wants to have all the toys and all the snacks until he realizes that when he acts in such a way, no one wants to play with him anymore. In the end, he gives all the toys back and all the dinosaurs play happily together. I especially love it because when the "Mine-O-Saur" talks he rhymes! My two-year-old son also loves dinosaurs so this is an easy story for him to get into and, hopefully, ...more
Carla Pelayo
Sep 20, 2012 Carla Pelayo rated it liked it
This is a favorite book of MINE! The Mine-O-Saur is a character young children can empathize with in this colorful tale of sharing and friendship. I have often read this story to children of mixed ages, and its message is simple, yet powerful. The vivid expressions of the dinosaur characters will appeal to boys and girls. The text also allows for the reader to use "voices" and the easy rhymes are italicized in red and will capture the audience's attention. This is a great read aloud book if your ...more
Lisa Carroll
May 10, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it really liked it
This picture book would be a wonderful addition to the pre-school and kindergarden classroom. Children seem to enjoy stories about dinosaurs and this one would satsify their curiousity and interest while teaching them the powerful message of sharing, friendship, and forgiveness. We bought this book last year at a yard sale and have found that it is enjoyable and my son shares much better with his friends after having read this. The pictures are lively, colorful and engaging. The book gets its po ...more
Shawna Sachs
Oct 24, 2012 Shawna Sachs rated it it was amazing
The Mine-o-Saur is a very good book to read to children to teach them how to share. The Mine-o-saur kept on taking everything away from his friends and pretty soon he ended up all alone with no one to play with and he was really sad. He realizes that he would rather give his toys to other people to play with even if they did not want to play with him. The Mine-o-Saur learned his lesson. All children who have a hard time sharing should have this book read to them and then they might realize what ...more
Lesley
Oct 13, 2013 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 544
Mine-o-saur doesn't want to share with anyone at school. He wrecks morning recess, snack, and afternoon recess. Other dinosaurs dread seeing him because he always wrecks everything until he no longer has anything to take. This is when he realizes that he needs to change and give everything back in which he does. The other dinosaurs finally except him. A excellent book to use for sharing, how to play with others, and rules about snack time and group play.

Published: 2007
Genre: Picture book
Cara Byrne
Jan 19, 2016 Cara Byrne rated it it was ok
I appreciate that this book is written for my almost-two-year-old who finds the concept of sharing some items as enticing as eating green vegetables. I also like the end message that it takes an apology and a change of action/attitude in order to successfully share. That said, the narrative doesn't always work well and the last sentiment (while fitting for the book) seems to deconstruct some of the positive messages sent. A January Imagination Library book (20 months)
Lisa Overberg
Sep 19, 2013 Lisa Overberg rated it really liked it
The Mine-O-Saur does not want to share anything with his dinosaur classmates, he wants to keep it all to himself as he yells "MINE MINE MINE". He soon learns that nobody wants to be friends with someone who won't share. So Mine-O-Saur puts everything he has taken out for everyone to use. He is forgiven and he realizes friends are worth more than all of the snacks and toys.

Grade level: K-2
Reading level: 2.3
Lexile: 400L
Nov 11, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very cute how it is about a group of dinosaurs playing and then they see the mine-o-saur who steals all of their toys. I also like this book because dinosaurs are always a popular subject among children, and also the illustrations are great. I would reccommend this book to ages 3-6 so they can learn the importance of sharing at a young age.

“ It provides a great opportunity for parents to teach them the importance of sharing. ”
Jenn
Mar 16, 2015 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: davids-books
A wonderful book! My 3 yr old loved it over and over! He focuses on the fact the Mineosaur broke a car - a total horror in the house! He does share most of the time with other kids but when he doesn't, we pull the "Are you a mineosaur?" card. You can then see the wheels in his mind turning when he choses to share.
Though it seems long, its not long winded. It holds his attention (and my own) by adding rhymes every other page.
I highly recommend it!
Linda Branich
Aug 17, 2014 Linda Branich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
The colorful, cartoon-like illustrations of different dinosaurs enhance this story of a selfish and possessive dinosaur, nicknamed MINE-O-Saur. Mine-O-Saur thinks everything is his, from snacks to toys, and eventually gets in trouble at school and alienates his friends. In his loneliness, he finally realizes the consequences of his behavior and convinces the other dinosaurs that he sincerely wants to share and play with them. The story is written mostly in rhyme.
Shelby Royalty
This book would be loved by young children. The illustrations are lovely, the rhyming is nice, and the message on sharing is very well written. In this story, the mine-o-saur thinks that everything is his. He shouts and grabs, and causes all kinds of problems, until he realizes that no one wants to be around him. At the end, he realizes what he has done, and learns to share with his friends.
Jennifer Conrad
This story has a great lesson. I just wish the author would choose to either rhyme or not rhyme throughout the entire book. There's no rhyme during narration, but rhyme whenever the dinosaurs are talking. Consistency in the form would've changed this to a 5 star book. But, since there isn't consistency, it's a bit bumpy to read aloud.
Angie Simmonds
Aug 19, 2016 Angie Simmonds rated it it was amazing
A great book for teaching children to share, The Mine-o-Saur is about a dinosaur who meets up with a group of dinosaurs in the school playground and wants what they all have and shouts mine, mine, mine and takes it from them. Pretty soon they don't want to play with him and he realizes that if he only shares all the toys he has taken from them they'll want to play with him again.
Taylor Brady
Jun 26, 2014 Taylor Brady rated it really liked it
This book is a cute illustration of a dinosaur wanting everything for himself and in turn pushing all of his friends away. This book demonstrates the importance of sharing with your friends, as well as an opportunity to discuss the development of manners and the emotions others feel is these situations.
Alison
Apr 08, 2015 Alison rated it it was amazing
I remember when I did not like sharing my things; however, I learned that by sharing, one can gain friendship. That is exactly what this story is about. In addition to that wonderful life lesson, it is a poetry book. I would use this book to show the importance of sharing and caring in addition to learning about the many styles of poetry.
Julia Jasztal
Jan 18, 2013 Julia Jasztal rated it really liked it
Shelves: dinosaurs
Mommy's review from 8/5/08 -

This is a REALLY cute book for toddlers. Julia found this in the library and it grabbed her attention because of the dinosaurs. I liked the partial rhymes and that it had a lesson (an easily understandable lesson) about sharing. Julia loves it, I'd recommend for any toddler!
Amanda
Feb 03, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was about a dinosaur that doesn't like to share. He keeps taking things from the other dinosaurs and says that it's his. Towards the end of the story the dinosaur realizes that no one wants to play with him so he tries to share and then the dinosaurs want to play with him. This is a good book for showing children how important sharing is.
  • A Mud Pie for Mother
  • Whoever You Are
  • Where's My T-R-U-C-K?
  • Skippyjon Jones: Up and Down
172051
Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen is an award-winning children's book author whose books include Duck Duck Moose, Chicks Run Wild, Pirate Princess, Hampire!, and the forthcoming Orangutangled. She visits schools around the country to talk about the craft of writing to children of all ages. "Every book is an autobiography" is a favorite saying of hers, and a big part of her message is that everyone, grownup ...more
More about Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen...