Start by marking “The Mine-O-Saur” as Want to Read:
The Mine-O-Saur

The Mine-O-Saur

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  336 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
A group of dinosaurs is happily playing in the school yard when . . . oh no! Here comes the Mine-o-saur! He snatches all the toys. He grabs all the snacks at snack time. He hoards the blocks during recess. And all the while he yells, ?MINE, MINE, MINE!?

But soon enough, no one wants to play with him. What will it take for the Mine-o-saur to realize that what he really wants
Published September 20th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mine-O-Saur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mine-O-Saur

Christina
My son checked this out from the library today and we just read it for bedtime. Such an adorable book with a good message about sharing and friendship :)
Betsy
Dec 29, 2007 Betsy rated it really liked it
Books with a message are the most frightening kind of picture book on the planet. They can go real bad, real preachy, and real ugly real fast. Self-published authors love `em. So too do new parents with unshakable beliefs in bibliotherapy. And as a children's librarian it is my job to wade through the lot of them to find the ones that are the best. When a parent walks up to you and says, "I want a picture book about sharing," you know that the clock is ticking and that you need to rustle up the ...more
Anna
Aug 06, 2008 Anna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents with toddlers
Shelves: read-to-kids
Although this book is probably the reason why my son learned to say "mine", it's still a great book. It's cute and entertaining for adults who read with their kids. And it teaches manners (or at least tries to) which is probably the best part.
Shannon Jones
Sep 18, 2013 Shannon Jones rated it it was amazing
It is kind of sad, but then it gets happy. I know it to easy, but I like it.
Carly
Nov 04, 2012 Carly rated it it was amazing
Mine-O-Saur does not want to share anything with his classmates, he wants it all to himself. He won't share toys and he won't share snack. He won't share anything. He soon learns that people don't want to be friends with someone who won't share. So Mine-O-Saur takes everything he has taken and puts it out for everyone to use. Once all is forgiven, he realizes that he now has something that is even better than all of the snacks and toys: friends.

Sharing is something that almost all young childre
Cara Byrne
Jan 19, 2016 Cara Byrne rated it it was ok
I appreciate that this book is written for my almost-two-year-old who finds the concept of sharing some items as enticing as eating green vegetables. I also like the end message that it takes an apology and a change of action/attitude in order to successfully share. That said, the narrative doesn't always work well and the last sentiment (while fitting for the book) seems to deconstruct some of the positive messages sent. A January Imagination Library book (20 months)
Linda Branich
Aug 17, 2014 Linda Branich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
The colorful, cartoon-like illustrations of different dinosaurs enhance this story of a selfish and possessive dinosaur, nicknamed MINE-O-Saur. Mine-O-Saur thinks everything is his, from snacks to toys, and eventually gets in trouble at school and alienates his friends. In his loneliness, he finally realizes the consequences of his behavior and convinces the other dinosaurs that he sincerely wants to share and play with them. The story is written mostly in rhyme.
Jenn
Mar 16, 2015 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: davids-books
A wonderful book! My 3 yr old loved it over and over! He focuses on the fact the Mineosaur broke a car - a total horror in the house! He does share most of the time with other kids but when he doesn't, we pull the "Are you a mineosaur?" card. You can then see the wheels in his mind turning when he choses to share.
Though it seems long, its not long winded. It holds his attention (and my own) by adding rhymes every other page.
I highly recommend it!
Shelby Royalty
This book would be loved by young children. The illustrations are lovely, the rhyming is nice, and the message on sharing is very well written. In this story, the mine-o-saur thinks that everything is his. He shouts and grabs, and causes all kinds of problems, until he realizes that no one wants to be around him. At the end, he realizes what he has done, and learns to share with his friends.
Alison Durbin
Apr 01, 2015 Alison Durbin rated it it was amazing
I loved this book; not only because I love dinosaurs, but I loved the focus on friendship. I think most, if not all, children go through this phase, and I think they would find this funny. I also like how there was a rhythm to the words that were in red text- you could almost sing them if you were so inclined. I think this would be a fun book to have for younger readers.
Rachel
The Mine-O-Saur is a clever book that teaches students about sharing with one another. I would use this book in a kindergarten or first grade level. The story is simple and fun but gets the message across. I enjoyed the dinosaur theme along with the illustrations. I think that students will love this book and hopefully will learn something as well.
Ashley Enlow
The best dinosaur book I have read in a long time! Mine-O-Saur takes all the toys from the other dinosaurs and they don't want to be his friend. The Mine-O-Saur tries to make the other dinosaurs happy and be his friend. I would use this book for the younger group of kiddos to teach that sharing is a great way to maintain friendships.
Taylor Brady
Jun 26, 2014 Taylor Brady rated it really liked it
This book is a cute illustration of a dinosaur wanting everything for himself and in turn pushing all of his friends away. This book demonstrates the importance of sharing with your friends, as well as an opportunity to discuss the development of manners and the emotions others feel is these situations.
A.J.
May 03, 2016 A.J. rated it it was amazing
I think this would be a great book to talk about sharing. You could use this book to talk about how students should interact both inside and out of the classroom. I think this would also be a great book for early elementary grades because children seem to love dinosaurs.
Deidra Elijah
Sep 06, 2015 Deidra Elijah rated it it was ok
The book itself was ok. I think there is a deeper lesson in the book that can be taught to children who may struggle with sharing. Although it was sad, Mine-o-saur had to learn his lesson and he understood that sometimes being selfish results in losing friends. Great lesson book!
Priscilla
Jun 16, 2015 Priscilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: sharing
Mine-o- Saur is a great book to read to young children that don’t like to share. It will teach them that it’s not nice to share that if you don’t share no one will want to play with you. The book is well illustrated, and children will like how it rhymes.
Stephanie Croaning
I heard about this picture book in a blog about read-alouds for exceptional students. This is a cute story that teaches about sharing using dinosaurs, and some rhyming text. It's not overly preachy, but teaches young children about making friends.
Amanda Short
Jan 14, 2015 Amanda Short rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe a little hesitant to read it to my kids. I surely don't want them getting the wrong idea. It ends good, but I think I'll wait until I see a problem with them sharing before I introduce this one.
Rosa Cline
Jun 26, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a creatively written story using rhymes and dinosaurs to tell the story of one little dinosaur that wouldn't play with others and was always grabbing everything from everyone and saying "Mine, mine, mine" And he soon learns it's not fun to do that. That he misses out on activities at school 'cause the teacher makes him clean up. He misses out on having fun at recess 'cause no one wants to play with him and be his friend. In the end he goes and says he's sorry and the others play with him ...more
Amy L. Campbell
Sep 09, 2015 Amy L. Campbell rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, storytime
Not sure how well this went over with my story time group. They were very active today and had trouble concentrating. They did enjoy the refrain of MINE, MINE, MINE!
Ashley Storms
This adorable book about a dinosaur that has a hard time sharing with others is a delightful read. It helps students understand the importance of sharing with others and about friendship. Recommended for primary students.
Lyndsey Hurm
This book is about a dinosaur who does not share but then he gets lonely and decides that he is going to start sharing so that he can make friends. This is a good book to talk about word-play because of how they changed the word dinosaur to mine-o-saur to give it a different meaning. Students can use this as an example and then try to make up some words like this on their own. I could also use this book to teach rhyming because it rhymes throughout the story. The pictures also do a great job of ...more
Sarah Snyder
Apr 26, 2015 Sarah Snyder rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This was not my favorite book. I didn't like the use of the words being in red and black. The story line wasn't the best for me either.
Kristin Schmidt
Jan 06, 2015 Kristin Schmidt rated it it was amazing
This is one of my son's go-to books at bedtime. It's a sweet story that flows really well, and it has actually really helped my son understand the concept of sharing!:) (He's two and a half.)
Rachel
Mar 21, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: owen-stories
it was ok. part of it rhymed but not the whole little part, 3 out of 4 lines. it was weird reading a story set up this way
Markus
Jun 09, 2014 Markus rated it it was amazing
Loved the story but especially the pictures. Read it to my nephew who had it in his library.
Emyrose8
Dec 29, 2014 Emyrose8 rated it liked it
Good lesson to learn about sharing... I know some kids who should read this book...
Nicole
Jul 12, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Cute and teaches abour sharing without being too preachy. The illustrations are great!
Carla Pelayo
Sep 20, 2012 Carla Pelayo rated it liked it
This is a favorite book of MINE! The Mine-O-Saur is a character young children can empathize with in this colorful tale of sharing and friendship. I have often read this story to children of mixed ages, and its message is simple, yet powerful. The vivid expressions of the dinosaur characters will appeal to boys and girls. The text also allows for the reader to use "voices" and the easy rhymes are italicized in red and will capture the audience's attention. This is a great read aloud book if your ...more
The Book Box
I got this in the mail today! My mom read it to me after my nap.
  • A Mud Pie for Mother
  • The Boy Who Wouldn't Share
  • Skippyjon Jones: Up and Down
  • Me I Am!
172051
Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen is an award-winning children's book author whose books include Duck Duck Moose, Chicks Run Wild, Pirate Princess, Hampire!, and the forthcoming Orangutangled. She visits schools around the country to talk about the craft of writing to children of all ages. "Every book is an autobiography" is a favorite saying of hers, and a big part of her message is that everyone, grownup ...more
More about Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen...