Start by marking “The Mine-O-Saur” as Want to Read:
The Mine-O-Saur

The Mine-O-Saur

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  80 reviews
A group of dinosaurs is happily playing in the school yard when . . . oh no! Here comes the Mine-o-saur! He snatches all the toys. He grabs all the snacks at snack time. He hoards the blocks during recess. And all the while he yells, ?MINE, MINE, MINE!?

But soon enough, no one wants to play with him. What will it take for the Mine-o-saur to realize that what he really wants
Published September 20th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Mine-O-Saur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mine-O-Saur

Betsy
Books with a message are the most frightening kind of picture book on the planet. They can go real bad, real preachy, and real ugly real fast. Self-published authors love `em. So too do new parents with unshakable beliefs in bibliotherapy. And as a children's librarian it is my job to wade through the lot of them to find the ones that are the best. When a parent walks up to you and says, "I want a picture book about sharing," you know that the clock is ticking and that you need to rustle up the ...more
Anna
Aug 06, 2008 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents with toddlers
Shelves: read-to-kids
Although this book is probably the reason why my son learned to say "mine", it's still a great book. It's cute and entertaining for adults who read with their kids. And it teaches manners (or at least tries to) which is probably the best part.
Shannon Jones
It is kind of sad, but then it gets happy. I know it to easy, but I like it.
Carly
Mine-O-Saur does not want to share anything with his classmates, he wants it all to himself. He won't share toys and he won't share snack. He won't share anything. He soon learns that people don't want to be friends with someone who won't share. So Mine-O-Saur takes everything he has taken and puts it out for everyone to use. Once all is forgiven, he realizes that he now has something that is even better than all of the snacks and toys: friends.

Sharing is something that almost all young childre
Linda Branich
The colorful, cartoon-like illustrations of different dinosaurs enhance this story of a selfish and possessive dinosaur, nicknamed MINE-O-Saur. Mine-O-Saur thinks everything is his, from snacks to toys, and eventually gets in trouble at school and alienates his friends. In his loneliness, he finally realizes the consequences of his behavior and convinces the other dinosaurs that he sincerely wants to share and play with them. The story is written mostly in rhyme.
Taylor Brady
This book is a cute illustration of a dinosaur wanting everything for himself and in turn pushing all of his friends away. This book demonstrates the importance of sharing with your friends, as well as an opportunity to discuss the development of manners and the emotions others feel is these situations.
Rosa Cline
Jun 26, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This is a creatively written story using rhymes and dinosaurs to tell the story of one little dinosaur that wouldn't play with others and was always grabbing everything from everyone and saying "Mine, mine, mine" And he soon learns it's not fun to do that. That he misses out on activities at school 'cause the teacher makes him clean up. He misses out on having fun at recess 'cause no one wants to play with him and be his friend. In the end he goes and says he's sorry and the others play with him ...more
Lyndsey Hurm
This book is about a dinosaur who does not share but then he gets lonely and decides that he is going to start sharing so that he can make friends. This is a good book to talk about word-play because of how they changed the word dinosaur to mine-o-saur to give it a different meaning. Students can use this as an example and then try to make up some words like this on their own. I could also use this book to teach rhyming because it rhymes throughout the story. The pictures also do a great job of ...more
Rachel
it was ok. part of it rhymed but not the whole little part, 3 out of 4 lines. it was weird reading a story set up this way
Markus
Loved the story but especially the pictures. Read it to my nephew who had it in his library.
Nicole
Cute and teaches abour sharing without being too preachy. The illustrations are great!
Carla Pelayo
This is a favorite book of MINE! The Mine-O-Saur is a character young children can empathize with in this colorful tale of sharing and friendship. I have often read this story to children of mixed ages, and its message is simple, yet powerful. The vivid expressions of the dinosaur characters will appeal to boys and girls. The text also allows for the reader to use "voices" and the easy rhymes are italicized in red and will capture the audience's attention. This is a great read aloud book if your ...more
Barbara Signorelli
I thought this book was very funny. I read it to my little brother.
Lifeonthefarminalabama
Boys loved it. 6yr old followed along and answered questions about it
Lisa Carroll
This picture book would be a wonderful addition to the pre-school and kindergarden classroom. Children seem to enjoy stories about dinosaurs and this one would satsify their curiousity and interest while teaching them the powerful message of sharing, friendship, and forgiveness. We bought this book last year at a yard sale and have found that it is enjoyable and my son shares much better with his friends after having read this. The pictures are lively, colorful and engaging. The book gets its po ...more
Kelli
Fun to read. Good moral.
Shawna Sachs
The Mine-o-Saur is a very good book to read to children to teach them how to share. The Mine-o-saur kept on taking everything away from his friends and pretty soon he ended up all alone with no one to play with and he was really sad. He realizes that he would rather give his toys to other people to play with even if they did not want to play with him. The Mine-o-Saur learned his lesson. All children who have a hard time sharing should have this book read to them and then they might realize what ...more
Michelle
This book is so great. As you can tell by the title, it's all about learning how to share. The "Mine-O-Saur" wants to have all the toys and all the snacks until he realizes that when he acts in such a way, no one wants to play with him anymore. In the end, he gives all the toys back and all the dinosaurs play happily together. I especially love it because when the "Mine-O-Saur" talks he rhymes! My two-year-old son also loves dinosaurs so this is an easy story for him to get into and, hopefully, ...more
Lesley
Oct 13, 2013 Lesley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 544
Mine-o-saur doesn't want to share with anyone at school. He wrecks morning recess, snack, and afternoon recess. Other dinosaurs dread seeing him because he always wrecks everything until he no longer has anything to take. This is when he realizes that he needs to change and give everything back in which he does. The other dinosaurs finally except him. A excellent book to use for sharing, how to play with others, and rules about snack time and group play.

Published: 2007
Genre: Picture book
I thought this book was very cute how it is about a group of dinosaurs playing and then they see the mine-o-saur who steals all of their toys. I also like this book because dinosaurs are always a popular subject among children, and also the illustrations are great. I would reccommend this book to ages 3-6 so they can learn the importance of sharing at a young age.

“ It provides a great opportunity for parents to teach them the importance of sharing. ”
Lisa Overberg
The Mine-O-Saur does not want to share anything with his dinosaur classmates, he wants to keep it all to himself as he yells "MINE MINE MINE". He soon learns that nobody wants to be friends with someone who won't share. So Mine-O-Saur puts everything he has taken out for everyone to use. He is forgiven and he realizes friends are worth more than all of the snacks and toys.

Grade level: K-2
Reading level: 2.3
Lexile: 400L
Saashya Rodrigo
Great book for teaching kids about how unpleasant it is to be selfish and constantly grab at things that others are using. It's also great to expand their knowledge on dinosaurs! The illustrations are cute and colourful- definite attention grabbers. The book makes you realize that wanting other people's things is really not a positive quality- nobody wants to be a mine-o-saur!
Heather
Mine-o-saur is focused on one thing, and one thing only - making everything his. But is having all the snacks and toys to yourself really that much fun? Mine-o-saur soon realizes that sharing and having friends is much more fun.

A clever tale expounding the dangers of selfishness. Children will love the dinosaurs as main characters in this tale.
Amanda
This book was about a dinosaur that doesn't like to share. He keeps taking things from the other dinosaurs and says that it's his. Towards the end of the story the dinosaur realizes that no one wants to play with him so he tries to share and then the dinosaurs want to play with him. This is a good book for showing children how important sharing is.
Jennifer Conrad
This story has a great lesson. I just wish the author would choose to either rhyme or not rhyme throughout the entire book. There's no rhyme during narration, but rhyme whenever the dinosaurs are talking. Consistency in the form would've changed this to a 5 star book. But, since there isn't consistency, it's a bit bumpy to read aloud.
Nicole
This is such a cute book. I read itto my preschool class, and th little boys LOVE reading about dinosaurs. It's about a little dinosaur that only says "Mine Mine Mine" and eventually he learns that by not sharing, no one is his friend and he's alone. Then he shares and realizes how happy it makes him to share.
Alexandra Chauran
I thought this book would have a good lesson about sharing, but it really was about a dinosaur that got emotionally blackmailed until he was too depressed to play. Then, the weird take-home message at the end was to get possessive about friends. That said, the art was good, and the title memorable.
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 8/5/08 -

This is a REALLY cute book for toddlers. Julia found this in the library and it grabbed her attention because of the dinosaurs. I liked the partial rhymes and that it had a lesson (an easily understandable lesson) about sharing. Julia loves it, I'd recommend for any toddler!
Codie Gates
I love this book, in part because I love dinosaurs! In this story, Mine-o-saur does not share anything. He soon learns that to have friends, he has to share his things. The pictures are fabulous and colorful. Also, the words change from black to red when the dinosaurs are talking.
Cya
The Mine-o-saur thinks everything is his. He doesn't want to share with the other dinosaurs, but one day he looks up and he has no friends. This is a good book to read and open up a dialogue about sharing. Also can be used to talk about playground rules for young children.
  • My No No No Day
  • Bear's Loose Tooth
  • Skippyjon Jones: Up and Down
  • Where's My T-R-U-C-K?
172051
Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen is an award-winning children's book author whose books include Duck Duck Moose, Chicks Run Wild, Pirate Princess, Hampire!, and the forthcoming Orangutangled. She visits schools around the country to talk about the craft of writing to children of all ages. "Every book is an autobiography" is a favorite saying of hers, and a big part of her message is that everyone, grownup ...more
More about Sudipta Bardhan-Quallen...
Duck, Duck, Moose! Chicks Run Wild Tyrannosaurus Wrecks! Hampire! Pirate Princess