Start by marking “Catholicism and Fundamentalism” as Want to Read:
Catholicism and Fundamentalism

Catholicism and Fundamentalism

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  950 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating Karl Keating defends Cathlicism from fundamentalist attacks and explains why fundamentalism has been so successful in converting "Romanists." After showing the origins of fundamentalism, he examines representative anti-Catholic groups and presents their arguments in their own words. His rebuttals are clear, detailed, and chari ...more
Published December 1st 1990 by Ignatius Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Catholicism and Fundamentalism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catholicism and Fundamentalism

Brian
Aug 22, 2007 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Fed-Up Catholic
So you have been a Catholic your whole life. Maybe even went to Catholic School. But through college and out in your job you feel like you are surrounded by Bible thumping Christians who have taken as their personal crusade to convert their heathen brother. That is you.

What do you do? You know that they are great people. Very sincere in their faith. And seemingly very strong Christians. They love God, Jesus His Son and the Holy Spirit. In fact they are consumed by it and frankly it is a little
booklady
Read this quite a few years ago so I hesitate to write a review with my poor memory. However, with that caveat, I recall that I found the book useful and I learned a lot. Prior to reading this, I didn't know that the average poorly catechized Catholic was targeted by "Bible Christians". At the time I was reading this book, I was heavily involved in homeschooling my children so my primary response to this book was to work harder on Scripture studies with them so they would be less vulnerable.
Bojan Tunguz
If you are a Catholic who seriously takes your faith, or have been around religious discussion forums (online or offline) soon enough you will come across a barrage of very passionate anti-Catholic ideas and sentiments. There are certainly many religious groups with a bone to pick with Catholic Church and its teachings (it could hardly be otherwise with a religious group that counts more than a billion people as its members and a truly global reach over several millennia), but some of the most v ...more
Matt
As a convert from fundamentalism, this book really made me think about the life I left behind. Probably the best apologetic work I've read.
Joseph Richardson
A good overview of fundamentalist anti-Catholic groups, their criticisms and charges against the Catholic Church, and the Catholic responses to them. Keating assumes a Catholic reader, so as an evangelical-turning-Catholic convert-in-progress, it sometimes felt a little awkward when he complained about fundamentalists. He carries a clear tone of indignation and annoyance, especially in the first part of the book, focusing on the critics and groups themselves (including pre-downfall Jimmy Swaggar ...more
Matt
Jul 04, 2007 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone especially fundamentalists
Without reading this book, I may have never become Catholic.
Kathryn
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.--1 Peter 3:15-16

It should be the duty of every brother and sister of Christ to be prepared to defend one's Catholic faith, particularly in a time where much attention is focuss
David
This was a good book with decent rebuttals in most objections to the Church. Keating can be... dry, yes very dry and also critical in his responses however. Part of the problem with this book was that is was largely written as a rebuttal of a specific other book that I can't remember the name of off the top of my head. It really isn't clear that this is the case until almost half-way through (before that you just think he is obsessed about some guy name Botner I think it was).
James
Great book to learn about Fundamentalism

Simple and practice apologetics book that gives the Fundamentalist side as well as the Catholic side. Although blunt at times, Keating furthermore discusses the anti Catholic movement of the 20th century and how to combat it.
Cris
Its a good book for Catholics to read about the various objections other denominations have to Catholicism, as it combines both journalism and theology. This covers a wide range of denominations and I learned a lot about the history of Jehova's Witnesses for example. It is also a good book to read to understand the development of the term fundamentalism, a pejorative and misunderstood term in popular culture. Karl Keating, a convert, leaves no ugly rumor unturned in this very thorough book, howe ...more
Bonnie Ziegler-wienke
I refer to this book constantly when debating non Carholics online and it has helped deepen my own faith as a convert!
Cocopebbles
I liked this book, but I only gave it 3 stars for a purely personal reason: apologetics makes me sad. This book and books like it make me feel like the whole world is against Catholics (which is certainly not true), and while that's not Keating's fault, it still impacted my rating, but I digress. The book is full of strong Biblical and historical explanations of Catholic doctrines and practices. A good read if you are into apologetics, curious about Catholicism, or just want some refreshers abou ...more
JoAnne Potter
Author has a bit of an attitude, but guess I don't blame him. Catholic bashers rarely take the trouble to substantiate their accusations. He does do a good job of explaining the background for every point he takes up, and he doesn't miss any of the hottest ones. I liked that. I have to admit to skipping some of the long, exhausting chains of protestant error, mostly because I agree with them. I wanted to skip to what I didn't already know. In all, worth the time.
Marcy
I really thought this book was a great answer to a lot of anti-Catholic rhetoric out there. I did have a few problems though - I felt that Keating was a little too dismissive of Fundamentalist beliefs, and often set up straw men of his own. I think the information on Catholic beliefs is good, but consider his summaries of Fundamentalist beliefs to be a little bit lacking in charity.
Kathy
"There are not a hundred people in America who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions of people who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church." This is a great book to explain many of the misconceptions and questions people have about the Catholic Church. Find your answers here and read the scripture the Church uses to support its teaching.
A. O'connell
Mr. Keating's "Catholicism and Fundamentalism" was an important work in my journey toward the Catholic faith. Easy to read and understand yet still "technical" enough to challenge one's intellectual acument, "Catholicsm and Fundamentalism" is a must-read for both the budding apologist and the average layman in the pew.
Angela
If you're itching to get into the middle of the squabble between the fundamentalist Christians and the Catholics, this is the book for you. It's particularly enjoyable if you have some personal experience in either camp, otherwise it might be a little alienating.
Nathan
Among the best defenses of Catholicism against Protestant Evangelicals. I strongly recommend it to any Bible-believing Christians who have to spend much time witnessing to educated Catholics. Know as well as you can what your actual differences are.
Daniel Brooks
Awesome reference book. Keating does a great job dismissing many of the misconceptions that is spread through Protestant circles about Catholicism. I use this often in my own studies and apologetics.
Cindy
I think Karl Keating was a little sarcastic in his writing. It had a lot of information but I would not recommend this book to a non-Catholic. It has great information for Catholics to learn though.
David
A bit outdated and occasionally mean-spirited. Still, not a bad resource for non-Catholics to better understand why Catholic doctrine and practices are the way they are.
Chrismpadgett Padgett
Very influential in my conversion. It has some dated issues and ministries within its pages but it was perfect for my past and addressed some of the questions I had.
Mark Cass

Excellent book if you are looking for clear reasoning and defense of the Catholic Church. Very easy and straightforward read.
Patrick May
Top 10 All Time (Apologetics)
Kevin Heldt
VERY interesting and a great primer on the differences between the Catholic and Fundamentalist positions.
Julia Mccoy
Great book for comparing Catholicism and Fundamentalism. Good read for either Catholics or Protestants.
Richly
Apr 26, 2009 Richly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Catholics, those seeking the Catholic faith, new to Catholicism
Recommended to Richly by: Tim O'Brien
The definitive book on Catholicism and its answers to Fundamentalist attacks, smears, and misconceptions.
Erik
Dec 24, 2009 Erik marked it as to-read
Listed by Patrick Madrid in the Reading Plan of Search and Rescue in Phase 1 (Preliminary).
Patrick
Groudbreaking when it was first published in 1988, and still useful.
Jp
Dec 17, 2009 Jp rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fundamentalist Christians and Catholcs who want to defend thier faith.
Hell Yeah !!!!!!! Thank you mister Keating.
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • How The Catholic Church Built Western Civilization
  • Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • God Is Love--Deus Caritas Est: Encyclical Letter
  • Crossing The Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church
Karl Keating (b. 1950), a prominent Catholic apologist and author, is the founder and president of Catholic Answers, a lay apostolate of Catholic apologetics and evangelization.

He received his undergraduate degree in Applied Math at UCSD in 1972 and went on to get a J.D. at the University of San Diego. He worked as an attorney practicing civil law in the early 1980s.

Leaving Mass one Sunday, he fou
More about Karl Keating...
What Catholics Really Believe--Setting the Record Straight: 52 Answers to Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Faith The Usual Suspects: Answering Anti-Catholic Fundamentalists Controversies: High Level Catholic Apologetics - Newman, Belloc, Knox, Lunn, Thurston What Catholics Really Believe: 52 Answers to Common Misconceptions about the Catholic Faith Nothing But the Truth: Essays in Apologetics