Shadow Gate (Crossroads, #2)

Shadow Gate (Crossroads #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,241 ratings  ·  59 reviews
The captivating, bestselling Spirit Gate swept readers into the turbulent world of the Hundred, where the peace and order of life under the protection of the immortal Guardians has given way to chaos and violence. In the face of a vast horde of marauders led by a rogue Guardian, the bravery and resourcefulness of a lone eagle-reeve and others who risk their lives for the c...more
Published April 15th 2008 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Gate

The Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGraceling by Kristin CashoreThe Hero of Ages by Brandon SandersonThe Painted Man by Peter V. BrettLast Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie
2008 DGLA Fantasy Book Nominees
20th out of 97 books — 217 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Eye of the World by Robert JordanThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussAmerican Gods by Neil Gaiman
Fantasy Books Written for Adults
140th out of 561 books — 801 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindy
this was one of my favorite reads
of 2013. i don't read much adult epic
fantasy any more. i don't seem to have
the attention span for a large cast
of characters and multiple storylines,
and pacing that can often feel to me like
meandering. (and i used to in
my twenties, so this is personal taste
entirely as my preferences evolve.)

so it says a lot that i read and loved
Shadow Gate, which is a hefty book indeed.
as a reader, i loved all of the major
characters in this trilogy. (this is book
2 of 3.) it is ind...more
Tim
The second book in Kate Elliott's Crossroads trilogy (though there's more to come, apparently) is as good as the first, though it must be said that it drags a bit more than "Spirit Gate." But it again pulls a four-star rating out of the fire with a strong conclusion.

Much of "Shadow Gate" is about new beginnings. Two characters killed early in the first book, and another who died before the action started, come back as Guardians, apparently immortal beings supposed to act as benign caretakers but...more
VMom
This is a big fat book, rich is calories and flavor. Consider the ingredients:
- Worldbuilding. Being Filipino, the asian and pacific islander influences in the cultures of the Qin & The Hundred are such a kick to me. The level of detail is wonderful; the feeling that this world really exists we're only seeing bits of it.
- Characters. Let me see if I can explain what I really like about the characters. They are all full of the prejudices of beliefs of their culture and upbringing, and they al...more
Karen Williams
The story grows in interesting ways. Characters believed to be dead come back in interesting ways. Characters grow and change, as well. Struggles continue, and change, and grow, though not necessarily through combat. New interesting characters are introduced. The ending is strong, and throws a monkey wrench (or the Hundred equivalent) into Plans. I started "Traitors' Gate" as soon as I finished this one, because I couldn't wait.
Evilynn
So far, so good. I was looking for a good (reasonably well written, preferably a page turner) High Fantasy series for quite a while, and had been recommended Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series, but it was quite a long series, and I have a hard time not finishing series, even if I don't like them much, so I held off. Then I saw the first two Crossroads books on sale, and thought WTH and bought them both. I like most of the main characters, I like most of the plot, I like how most of the social...more
Tulara
This is the second book of the series. The tale continues with my favorite couples - , Marit and Joss and Mai and Anjii. The first book, is mostly the tale of Joss who in a moment of impulse takes Marit to a forbidden Guardian altar and Marit is captured by an evil band. The book is well-written and gave me a sense of culture of the time. The role of women in the society reminds me of Old Japan.
Kate Elliott weaves the story and you start to really want to see what happens to everyone with magica...more
William Bentrim
Shadow Gate by Kate Elliott

I liked it better than Spirit Gate.

Following Spirit Gate, this book continues where the last finished. In this volume we have flying horses, horrific behavior and a twinkle of light at the end of the tunnel. Flying eagles instead of dragons, the Reeves are expected to keep an eye on the Hundred. The Guardians who were judge and executioner have disappeared leaving the Reeves to handle it all. Tumult is spreading across the Hundred and the Reeves and their eagles appea...more
Heather Scott
Was difficult to finish this. Disappointing, because I really like Elliot's work. Like the first book in this series, I found it difficult to actually care about the main characters. Also, like the first book, the amount of smut has made me begin to wonder if this series hasn't been improperly categorized. It's really not to my taste. Sad, really, since I bought the whole series. Well, here's hoping the third one's the charm...
Rachel Lein
The first book of this series seems to have suffered from what I refer to as "First Book Syndrome", where there's little at all to plot development. It was basically nothing more than character introductions and far too much description about the world they live in. The second book seems to have done a better job overall. I was apprehensive about reading it because the first book disappointed me so horribly, but as I already had it in my possession, I decided to give it a try, and I'm not disapp...more
In a way, more enjoyable than the first, because the world is now established and no longer so confusing. But it definitely felt like a middle book ... I didn't really feel too much tension throughout. And it's just way too long for that.

I was really upset when Elliott killed off one of my favorite characters :( It's so cruel, getting you to really like someone and then killing them off ... no mercy, that Elliott.
Doc Opp
It pains me that I have to wait 9 months for the next book in this series to come out. It also pains me that I spent all weekend reading this instead of getting work done, and now I'm going to have to put in 18 hour days this week... this is why I shouldn't pick up such good books to begin with.
Jason Lang
I'm re-reading this novel as I'm sick and bedridden. She keeps amazing me with how clearly she manages to tell three or more storylines and weave them amongst each other. It's a feat sometimes attempted, yet rarely as successfully achieved. On top of that, she weaves an amazing storyline.
Fayley
This is not a review, just a heads up. If you are going to read this series then buy all 3 and read them together - pretend they are 1 book because although the series has a proper ending, neither books 1 or 2 have a satisfactory ending. Don't say you weren't warned!
Ruth
"P2008: Loved this book because it has giant eagles and their riders/guardians who patrol the skies as peacekeepers. I do like it when animals and humans have a closer connection as opposed to the normal relationships. Reported to be "" essentially the middle volume in the first trilogy."" this book contained additional information about the Guardians, including their abilities—riding winged horses, immortality, walking the 101 altars, possessing a third eye and a second heart to know a man’...more
Jesse Whitehead
I’m beginning to lose a great deal of faith in Kate Elliot as a writer. She remains one of the great fantasy worldbuilders of recent years who consistently puts together intriguing concepts with brilliant imagery and complex-enough-to-be-historical plots. She’s also very good at writing conflicted characters.

So what’s the problem? Well to start with I think the characters are a little too conflicted. There are cowards and drunks and uncouth soldiers. There are mean-spirited thieves and low-life...more
Jacob
I love this book series. There are very few things about it that I do not enjoy. This second book really ties in the first and third books. The amount of detail that Elliott puts into it never ceases to amaze me. I have read this book 3 times now and I have not yet grown tired of it. In fact, the time will come when I decide to read them again. Anji and the Qin are cool beans; their story line is definitely my favorite. Except I don’t like what they do in the third book, it ruins my image of the...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
Unlike in Spirit Gate, the pace is fairly consistent in this second volume; while there are a few slow spots, there was enough tension to keep me going throughout. Structurally, yes, it's a middle book, so not quite as much happens on the macro, political level as in books one and three. But still, partway through this book I fell in love with the trilogy, largely because I'd become so invested in the characters. This one introduces a couple of my favorite characters (Nallo and Marit--well, that...more
Monica
Again, this was a good book that I would have enjoyed a lot more if the plot didn't drag. I was hoping that this book would pick up the pace of the plot a little bit, but instead it felt like the plot was a little slower-paced than the first novel in the series. I still love the setting and the characters, and I will be giving Kate Elliott's novels another chance in the future.
Shari  Mulluane
Book two flowed just as smoothly as book one. Alot like a talented dancer who moves seamlessly from one form into the next. A beautiful thing to experience.

This is very much a story about war. Almost every character, regardless of origin, has or is affected by one war or another. There is magic and a few folks with what I consider mystical abilities but only a select few. However, the story has more of a focus on the struggle of good against evil and the will to survive against all odds. It als...more
Lee
I actually received the first book in this series, Spirit Gate, as an ebook from tor.com. If you like fantasy and sci-fi go to the tor website and sign up. You'll get previews, free e-books, and even desktop images from book covers for free.

This book has a complex cast of characters. The setting has more of an occidental flavor, and the living quarters, etc of the chief secondary characters are heavily influenced by Japanese and Middle Eastern cultures. That said, I really dislike the book cove...more
Evan
Well, what do I say about this book? Kate Elliott's Crossroads series is an interesting change from what I've been reading and an interesting departure from a lot of books I've read over the years. Shadow Gate introduces the concept of Guardians. Think of them like feudal police as they work with the reeves (the people who fly under eagles) to enforce justice and whatnot.

The only thing I didn't like about this book is that Elliott goes on for a full section of a chapter about this woman who gets...more
Katharine
I read the first part of this series a while ago but it was quite easy to pick up the threads and I thought this was the better book. The only bits that sagged a little for me were the parts between Joss and Anji which I was expecting to love. The real stars of the book were the many very different female characters. Kirit's tale stood out but even teenage Avisha was given an interesting story. The world-building and the way that the different societies treated their women was also very well don...more
Emroyka
Better-paced and no major POV issues with this volume.

I felt the world-building was still excellent and got a better feel for the world, though sometimes it was a little unnerving (e.g. Chinese-like zodiac with 12 animals and 9 color variations of each felt like too much for me, bursting into song at strange/inappropriate times), but overall something I still admire a great deal. Also this is all finally explained with more clarity in 3rd volume.

Am still wondering how the new character threads i...more
Troy
It turned into her Jaran Series real quickly. The story swung to being the same classic story. Outlander woman good at organizing the household and manipulating people, big strong domineering Horse Riding Genghis Khan type of man to stand behind. The world is fantastically built, and her stories are great.
Richard
This is the second book in the series.

After reading this book, it gave me the same annoying feeling like the last book. It just sort of ending and left more unanswered questions.

Since a lot of the main characters have been introduced in the previous book, I felt that this book moved a bit faster and also gave a bit more background information on other characters that weren't fleshed out as much.

Ug, the ending still left a bad taste in my mouth.

I'll have to read the last book in order to see how...more
Christine
The second book in this series is just as pleasing as the first, perhaps more so. Some of the characters are still rather one sided, but for the most part they grow and become a bit more interesting. The plot develops farther in an interesting way that keeps the story moving. There are some dull parts, and I think Elliot's books could benefit from cutting off about 150-200 pages- I think it would make the story more refined and less rambling, but overall this series is a good fantasy read.
Honestly, I thought this one was better than the first. It had a smoother flow, the characters were more fleshed out and there was a better sense of just what was going on. Without going into details that might prove spoilerish, the way the atrocities the army committed were touched on was very well done - enough detail so disgust and horror was felt by the reader, yet skirted full-blown accounts that would have degraded the issue. Kudos to Ms Elliott for that.
Mark
While I liked the second book in this series, it felt like something was missing. As light's shed on some of the mysteries of the first, there's less focus on the characters I found interesting. There are large "flashback" portions - the sort of thing that occasionally drives me nuts. Conflict wasn't as compelling for me. Still, there's a lot that is continuing to be set up and I'll be sticking with the series to see what the payoff turns out to be.
Robert
I found this harder to get into than its predecessor - I realise the back-stories of Kirit and Marit, in some cases reaching back before the beginning of Spirit Gate, were necessary to the story and I understand why they were here and not in the first book, but it still left me confused for a while. All the same, this is a fascinating story and I love the characters - even the nasty ones- so I had to give it four stars.
Brennon P.
Brennon Petersen

Shadow Gate by Kate Elliott
If you are a big adventure reader I suggest shadow gate it is a good book. It is fun book to read this book. I would read it again but I don’t like to read book over again.

Sometimes people want to do stuff that is in their books. But they can’t because it is dangerous. So they write it in a book.

I totally recommend this book to everyone that likes adventure books.
  • The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
  • Banner of the Damned
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • Natural Ordermage (The Saga of Recluce, #14)
  • The Golden Key
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light & Shadow #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • Precious Dragon (Detective Inspector Chen #3)
  • Hunter's Death (The Sacred Hunt, #2)
  • Firethorn (Firethorn, #1)
  • Path of Revenge (Broken Man, #1)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely...more
More about Kate Elliott...
King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1) Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2) Cold Magic (Spiritwalker, #1) The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3) Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)

“...because when beauty awes you, you must halt and try to catch your breath and your staggered heart.” 10 likes