Start by marking “The Palace of Love (Demon Princes, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Palace of Love (Demon Princes, #3)

The Palace of Love (Demon Princes #3)

In the midpoint novel of the "Demon Princes" series, Kirth Gersen sets his sights upon the mysterious Viole Falushe. Vance describes this murderous creature as a "sybarite." "Sadistic pervert" would probably be a more apropos phrase.After several false leads, Gersen backtracks the villain to his point of origin --- Earth, of all places! Then the trail moves outward again, ...more
176 pages
Published May 1st 1980 by Hodderand Stoughton (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Palace of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Palace of Love

Grass by Sheri S. TepperParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerThe Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat by Harry HarrisonThe Anubis Gates by Tim PowersThe Rookie by Scott Sigler
Most Under-rated Science Fiction
335th out of 1,151 books — 1,412 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienWatership Down by Richard Adams
GRRM Recommends
85th out of 100 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Jaro
Read in Orbit omnibus.
Stephen
3.5 stars. This is the third book of the "Demon Princes" series by Jack Vance. Not quite as good as the first two (the Star King and the Killing Machine) which I though were superb. This is still a very good read (as just about everything Vance ever wrote was) and a nice addition to what I believe is a fantastic and under-appreciated series by Jack Vance.
Kat  Hooper
Sep 02, 2010 Kat Hooper rated it it was amazing
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Two down and three to go… In order to exact revenge on Viole Falushe, the third Demon Prince, Kirth Gersen must first discover who Mr. Falushe is, and then find and infiltrate his famous Palace of Love.

The actual plot, while just as brisk and fun as usual, isn't the most entertaining aspect of The Palace of Love. This volume is particularly charming because of Jack Vance's exquisite characters — three in particular:

1. Vogel Filschner was rejected by the pr
Florin Pitea
It was O.K. mostly.
Johnny
Jun 09, 2016 Johnny rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
After spacing the first three novels of Jack Vance’s The Demon Princes pentalogy so that they didn’t become formulaic, The Palace of Love proved that I needn’t have bothered. Kirth Gersen is the equivalent of a bounty hunter/avenger. He’s not a science-fiction version of Marvel’s The Punisher (the novels precede the comic hero anyway)—killing all the bad guys in sight—but he does have a personal vendetta against the so-called “Demon Princes” and each novel deals with his attempts. The first two ...more
Ĝan Starling
Apr 13, 2015 Ĝan Starling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have re-read all five books of The Demon Princes series at least seven times. I own all five in hardbound editions, signed by the author. I would like to give The Palace of Love 4.5 stars only in comparison with the final two of the series.

Of all Jack Vance's colorful characters, Viole Falushe is one who will uncomfortably remind the reader of someone he once used to know. And Navarth the Mad Poet, someone you might wish to know...if only so as to claim that you did.

The Demon Princes series i
Donkic
Feb 26, 2014 Donkic rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il terzo capitolo della saga per me rappresenta un passo indietro rispetto ai due precedenti.

Esclusa una prima parte ambientata sul pianeta Sarkovy e ricca di descrizioni sugli usi macabri e sadici dei suoi abitanti, il resto del romanzo viaggia pigramente attraverso una parte centrale in cui accade poco e niente e un finale affrettato e piatto.
I dialoghi sono spesso troppo lunghi e ripetitivi. Le descrizioni dei paesaggi (uno dei punti forte di Vance) spezzano molto l'azione, già scarsa di per
Lisa's book adventures
Sep 24, 2015 Lisa's book adventures rated it really liked it
Shelves: oldschool-sci-fi
Keith definitely wasn't up to his game. Lots of wine drinking and playing 'who is it?'
Not as good as the previous two in the series but amazing nonetheless!
I loved it a great deal !
Max
Jan 17, 2014 Max rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This third chapter in the saga of Vance confirms what was said in the previous ones.
The story is already well known and described in the preface. What always amazes me is how easily this author tells about alien environments as if they were part of the culture of the reader.
References to articles or interviews invented yet absolutely credible, that do not weigh ever reading but rather enrich it. Now I am hunting for the following two novels to end the hunt for the five principles demons.
If I
Chris Gager
Jul 03, 2013 Chris Gager rated it really liked it
Moving on to number three. The main review will be under "The Demon Princes".
Blake
Dec 27, 2011 Blake rated it it was amazing
This book is wisdom masquerading as interplanetary revenge tale.

Evidence?

"I am an unhappy man. I am haunted by my inability to express the inexpressible, to come to terms with the unknown. The pursuit of beauty is, of course, a major psychological drive. In its various guises--which is to say, the urge to perfection, the yearning to merge with the eternal, the explorer's restlessness, the realization of an Absolute created by ourselves, yet larger than our totality--it is perhaps the single most
Ivo Crnkovic-Rubsamen
May 29, 2013 Ivo Crnkovic-Rubsamen rated it really liked it
I wrote in my last review that I hoped Vance stretched himself for his character portrait of the next Demon Prince, and he failed to live up to my hopes. Again, Viole Falushe is in concept very distinct from the other two Princes, but when we actually meet him, he is relatively unmemorable. Vance has taken on an ambitious task, that of creating five very powerful, very distinct super-villains, each of which must be developed more than superficially, complete with backstory, motivations, manneris ...more
Curtiss
May 14, 2008 Curtiss rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: a
Shelves: science-fiction
I recorded all of Jack Vance's Demon Princes books in 50-55 minute episodes for Golden Hours, my local radio service for blind and reading-impaired listeners. Too bad I didn't make CD copies for myself, since the radio station broadcast the tape versions and then erased them too reuse.

I guess I'll have to re-record them for Golden Hours and this time keep a copy, since Jack Vance has a wicked and sardonic sense of humor that I really enjoy, and this series of books is his absolute best.

I especia
Keith
Oct 19, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
"The Palace of Love" is a enjoyable novel I read many years ago. It is part of the 'Demon Princes' series.
Kirth Gersen survives a massacre as a young person. He begins his quest for vengeance against the five Demon Princes who were responsible for the deadly deed. His third target is Viole Falushe. Viole operates a planet wide brothel and kidnapping is part of his modus operandi. How can this be used in Kirth's quest.
Judy Goldich
Jun 16, 2014 Judy Goldich rated it liked it
Shelves: demon-princes
Entertaining, but too much hype about the Palace of Love. Gersen grown more human in each book, and makes mistakes. In therms if vengeance and chasing after an enemy, he is at least superficially comparable to the book version of James Bond, which is quite different from the movie versions. And on a personal note, I think the villain deserved far worse death than being dumped out of a sky hopper.
Anthony
Feb 29, 2016 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Easily the best of the first three. This is mostly because of the additional characters, such as Navarth, the Mad Poet, and because of the fantastic description of The Palace of Love, as well as, the pilgrims to this strangely not very perverse place.
As a matter of fact, it is this lack of sleaze that says more about Viole Falushe, than any real perversity. The banality of evil is the order of the day at the palace, as for a change, the detective story is almost secondary.

Am amazing SF masterp
Mark
Jan 17, 2016 Mark rated it liked it
Another insane and romantic villain, caught by his megalomania and his helpless love and need. The hero of the series, while still fulfilling his space noir obligations, is become less invulnerable and more human to the benefit of the series.
Ricardo Signes
Oct 14, 2014 Ricardo Signes rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
So far, the whole Demon Princes series is A-OK. I like the protagonist. I like the setting, which is rich but not tiresomely detailed. I like Vance's style. I also like that the books are just long enough, and no longer. I will now immediately proceed to book four.
Derek
Jul 25, 2012 Derek rated it liked it
Shelves: space-opera
The personalities of the Demon Princes grow ever more outré and extravagant. Within the outlandish displays and shallow artistry of Viole Falushe one sees the original insecure youth, whose intricate manipulations have as goal the reparation of an ancient injury.

Kirth Gersen in comparison plays an increasing role as the straight man in all this, a stolid figure with little overt personality except a wit that is not so much "dry" as "dessicated". His monomania for justice/revenge falters and it w
Saul
May 11, 2012 Saul rated it really liked it
More than anything, its Vance's writing that keeps me captivated. The soft flowing nature of his prose takes the reader into a fantasy SF world, rich with charm and adventurous plots. There are few writers like Vance. However, I suppose he's not for everyone. If your looking for Hard SF, I don't think you'll be satisfied. Still, Vance is classic SF. A good read for anyone who loves the classics.
Karthik
Sep 10, 2013 Karthik rated it liked it
Among the Demon Prince series books, this was one of those I did not like as much. Somehow there was a so much hype around the Palace of love and it turned out a damp squid. The villainy of Viole Falusch did not come as much as the previous villains.
Mohammed
Jul 07, 2010 Mohammed rated it really liked it
Not the best in this wonderful series but Gersen and his worlds,cultures is deep,thought-provoking,weird as usual.

I have come to see this series as his best SF series. A must if you want to try Vance the science fiction writer.
James Eckman
Feb 12, 2015 James Eckman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fiction
Is Kirth Gersen really cut out for a life of revenge now that he has limitless money?

This series is one big novel, they just couldn't publish giant SF novels in the early 60's. So read them in order!

Roberto
Oct 09, 2014 Roberto rated it it was ok
Liked a little less than the previous one. I know the idea of the Demon Princes is that they are almost inhuman in their actions and motivations, but this one is stretching it.
Wysteria
Sep 22, 2013 Wysteria rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2013
I just don't think I like these books. I'll finish the series but I don't care for any of the characters at all.
Ben
Sep 02, 2012 Ben rated it liked it
Good...but just not interesting enough for me to think I'm going to keep reading the series.
Glenn Harris
Jun 29, 2013 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
Another book in the series of space operas concerning The Demon Princes.
Shannon Appelcline
This series continues to be poetic, exciting, and fun.
  • Under Pressure
  • Supermind
  • Kalin (Dumarest of Terra #4)
  • Tunnel Through Time
  • Naked to the Stars
  • Inside Outside
  • Journey Beyond Tomorrow
  • A Mirror for Observers
  • Stranglers' Moon (Family d'Alembert #2)
  • The Disappearance
  • Hestia
  • Is Anyone There? Speculative Essays on the Known and Unknown
  • Cards of Grief
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • The Seedling Stars
  • Fury
  • Galaxies Like Grains of Sand
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth, was published in 1950 to grea
More about Jack Vance...

Demon Princes (5 books)
  • The Star King (Demon Princes, #1)
  • The Killing Machine (Demon Princes, #2)
  • The Face (Demon Princes, #4)
  • The Book of Dreams (Demon Princes, #5)

“The symbologist made a cryptic sign. "That remains to be seen, as the cat said who voided into the sugar bowl.” 5 likes
“The Vine of Life grows a single melon. The color of the heart is unknown until the rind is split.” 2 likes