Start by marking “Wheelers” as Want to Read:
Wheelers

Wheelers

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In 2270, archaeologist Prudence Odingo returns to Earth with news of a bizarre discovery of hundreds of ancient wheeled artifacts beneath the icy surface of Callisto, the eighth moon of Jupiter. The "wheelers" come to life just as several of Jupiter's moons change orbit, causing a comet to hurtle toward Earth. An expedition reveals that Jupiter is inhabited by an alien rac ...more
Published October 1st 2001 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Wheelers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wheelers

David
Wheelers was the first book loaned to me from the broad Sci-Fi collection of a friend. Clearly, he thought highly of the book as it was the first one he recommended. (I loaned him The Hercules Text by Jack McDevitt and Cryptonomicon by Stephenson, Neal.)

I didn't find Wheelers quite as exciting. The pacing was slow and meandering in the first third of the book. The second third of the book was much more interesting. The characters and conflict were well developed and intriguing. By the final 100
Pamr
Aug 12, 2008 Pamr rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like science fiction based in science fact
What happens when two brilliant scientists write a Science Fiction novel. The answer is normally somthing mediocre at best,but in this case something amazing happened a brilliant book - perhaps too realistic for some and not real enough sci fi for others.

It was worth every ounce of brain power I put in to keep up with the concepts but the important thing was I rooted for the main charachter all the way through

A waring about this review - I may look at this book through rose tinted lenses becau
Bookbrow
This books starts off very slow and builds from there, the science is amazing along with a good story. Well thought out aliens.
j0n
Uneven writing, possibly due to the presence of two authors, but a nonetheless enjoyable bit of light hard sci-fi. There are parts of brilliance in its take on biology and future human history that make up for the occasional cringeworthy prose. Some of the sci-fi ideas seem a bit of a retread of the likes of Clarke, Niven, etc., but if you're a fan of those sorts of authors you'll probably at least enjoy this, if not be blown away by it.
Joe
intelligent, thought-provoking, farflung scifi novel about -- what else? -- saving the world from imminent catastrophe. contains advanced mathematical and scientific concepts, and a very creative and unusual plot, which make it fun to read. the characters are a bit one dimensional, or, where more complex, then with a feeling of being intentionally so.
Madhu
If I could I would rate this book as one the greatest books of all time. Reading truly was a profound experience!!
Why? - Because all facts in the book are logical progressions of what we know. Fiction even though make believe should I think be built on some facts which this book completely fulfills for me.
Carl
A great "hard SF" that is intelligent, thought-provoking, farflung scifi novel about saving the world from imminent catastrophe. contains advanced mathematical and scientific concepts, and a very creative and unusual plot! Takes place in the near future but covers eons.
Cynthisa
From my old paper Book Log: "Highly original hard SF, w/ great character development too!"
Elaine
a good sci fi read.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Suzan
Suzan added it
Jul 28, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Zack Reagin
Zack Reagin marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Shrike98
Shrike98 marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Nikki Hodgins
Nikki Hodgins marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 11, 2015
Olivia Burdon
Olivia Burdon marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Akrabar
Akrabar marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Joke
Joke marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
  • An Alien Light
  • The Miocene Arrow (Greatwinter Trilogy #2)
  • Salt
  • The Avatar
  • Narabedla Ltd.
  • Vast
  • The Second Angel
  • The Depths of Time (The Chronicles of Solace, #1)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection
  • Chronospace
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • War of the Maelstrom (Changewinds, #3)
  • Fairyland
  • Bloom
  • Down the Bright Way
  • The Void Captain's Tale
  • Eater
  • Return to Eden
Ian Stewart is an Emeritus Professor and Digital Media Fellow in the Mathematics Department at Warwick University, with special responsibility for public awareness of mathematics and science. He is best known for his popular science writing on mathematical themes.
--from the author's website

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors wit
More about Ian Stewart...
Flatterland: Like Flatland Only More So Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos Letters to a Young Mathematician In Pursuit of the Unknown: 17 Equations That Changed the World Why Beauty Is Truth: A History of Symmetry