Start by marking “Structured Computer Organization” as Want to Read:
Structured Computer Organization

Structured Computer Organization

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  10 reviews
By presenting the computer as a hierarchy of distinct levels, this reference illustrates how the diverse aspects of the computer relate to one another. Discusses the hierarchies of such popular microprocessors as the IBM 370, the DDP-11 and MC68000, and also covers the UNIX and CP/M operating systems and ready-to-run PASCAL programs.
Published January 1st 1984 by Prentice Hall (first published February 28th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Structured Computer Organization, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Structured Computer Organization

Joecolelife
Jul 27, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
Tanenbaum is one of the CS classical authors. Any CS student or instructor should own a copy of this updated edition of Structured Computer Organization.

The book structure remains the same, but there are many important updates, mainly in the examples and case studies. Tanenbaum's style is also the same: a bit arid and telegraphic, specially for newcomers, but his approach is much better for an introductory computer organization and architecture course than the books by Patterson/Hennessy (which...more
Nelson Minar
I've been hacking pretty deep on computers for more than half my life - I wrote my first 6502 assembly code at age 12, back in 1984 or so. But I never understood any of the details of what was going inside the box, I've never gone below the assembly code level before. I have to take the Computer Science GRE (bleah!) soon, though, so that was a good excuse to learn a little computer architecture. (I did fine on it, btw!).
Tanenbaum is a great book to learn that from. It's a bit simplistic (perfect...more
Russ
This book is excellent, and covers a lot of fundamental computer architecture topics. It is, however, a bit dated at this point. The examples do the job, but so does Knuth v.1, so just go read that.
ℝ
The overall structure of the book makes perfect sense, but it can sometimes be difficult to follow due to the many dependencies. For example, it starts with a historical overview which largely presupposes an understanding of the terminology and technologies that are explained only later in the book. Also, for me, the inclusion of real-world examples throughout the text sometimes obscures, rather than clarifies, the conceptual exposition. Similarly for the many casual references to chips, machine...more
David
I read the 3rd edition of this book. The book reads well - it starts off assuming that the reader has little knowledge about computer architecture and gradually builds upon that. The book is not as detailed or technical as other books of its nature, but it does make for an easier read for newcomers to the topic. The complaint I have against this is that while the flow is good, the reading is not - the book's somewhat boring, but I guess that applies to books you have to read just to finish a uni...more
Nick
Dec 31, 2007 Nick rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds
read parts of this for school. interesting but awfully dry and requires some serious mental focus. that said, I now understand a little more what goes on under the hoods of these machines that I use everyday.
Nick Black
The deeper processor design is covered just lightly enough to leave you utterly confused. Other than that, a solid introduction to architectural considerations.
Paul
I was disappointed in this text. While it provides brad coverage of computer organization, it does so at the cost of any significant depth.
Joey Baker
Im going to kill myself before I get through the whole thing. Binary numbers are fun though!
Avinesh
it is a good book
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Dmitry
Dmitry is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2014
Bhawna
Bhawna marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Ishaan
Ishaan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Sachin Jayasundara
Sachin Jayasundara is currently reading it
Sep 21, 2014
Daniel Newman
Daniel Newman marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Rama
Rama added it
Sep 17, 2014
Bousbiat
Bousbiat marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Polli
Polli added it
Sep 16, 2014
Panagiotis Panos
Panagiotis Panos marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Dina Liverpudlian
Dina Liverpudlian marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Iris
Iris marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Stevie
Stevie is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014
  • The C++ Programming Language
  • Fundamentals of Database Systems
  • Machine Learning
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Software Engineering (International Computer Science Series)
  • A Discipline of Programming
  • The Practice of Programming
  • Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
  • Programming Perl

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Computer Networks Modern Operating Systems Operating Systems Design and Implementation Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms Distributed Operating Systems