Start by marking “Conference with the Dead” as Want to Read:
Conference with the Dead

Conference with the Dead

Originally published in a 500 copy edition by Ash-Tree Press, Terry Lamsley's Conference with the Dead has long remained almost unobtainable.

A nominee for the World Fantasy Award, and winner of the International Horror Guild Award, this chilling collection of ghost stories set in England has remained out of print for far too long.

Skyhorse Publishing, under our Night Shade
Published August 1st 2005 by Night Shade Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Conference with the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conference with the Dead

Ronald
The Toddler
The Outer Darkness
Inheritance
The Extension

I obtained this book from the Chicago Public Library. This is a collection of supernatural/weird fiction. Ramsey Campbell relates, in the Introduction to this book, that he first came across the fiction of Terry Lamsley as a self-published book from the author. This was a find! Campbell brought Lamsley's fiction to the attention of
Frances
May 05, 2012 Frances rated it really liked it
Shelves: collection, owned, horror
Just started; I'd read a couple of these before, but long enough ago that I decided it was worth a reread. The ones that are new to me seem plain--not in a bad way, but plain in the way M.R. James is quiet.

The later stories in the book are slightly weirder; there's the same calm explanation as always, it's just relating how reality is doing a quiet little fever-dream melt and slip. They never quite end up portraying the misunderstandings of a character as reality, though--it's something I associ
Riju Ganguly
Sep 22, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it
The author of this book is one of the leading lights among the proponents of the kind of darkness (rather oxymoronic statement, I am afraid) that is envisioned by the followers of M.R. James. The stories are of a very high quality, and they are so polished that you would feel rather disheartened if you try to detect the tell-tale signs of craftwork in these stories (for that, you may go back to his first collection: "Under The Crust"). The contents are: -

(*) Introduction by Ramsey Campbell

1) Wal
Jail
Oct 30, 2009 Jail rated it really liked it
This book was great. Really intense, nightmarish horror with a low-key subtle style of events. The stories do not beat you over the head with anything Definitely the first time in a while that anything I was reading before bed disturbed me enough so that when I woke up to take a pee, I would be terrified.
Occaionally Lamsley's writing is really clumsy, but it kind of adds to the charm of his direct writing style
Isidore
Jun 30, 2013 Isidore rated it it was amazing
Very impressive collection of weird fiction by a (relatively) new writer. One hopes he does not fall into the trap of grinding out 400-page would-be-bestsellers, which has squandered the talent of so many of his peers.
robyn
Sep 29, 2015 robyn rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
a lot of these are weird stories, in the original meaning of the phrase. They're strange, unsettling and original. I'll eventually have to read this again, to decide how I feel about it; I didn't enjoy the read, exactly, but I was able to appreciate the originality.
Barbara Roden
Barbara Roden rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
Jeannie Sloan
Jeannie Sloan rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
ACH
ACH rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2009
s.j.
s.j. rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Sirensongs
Sirensongs rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2011
Fraser Burnett
Fraser Burnett rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Mia Nutick
Mia Nutick rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Randolph Carter
Randolph Carter rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2014
M.R. Doyle
M.R. Doyle rated it really liked it
May 24, 2012
Don
Don rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2010
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2009
Jim Parrott
Jim Parrott rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2016
Marcus Tsong
Marcus Tsong rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Eric Reitz
Eric Reitz rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Adam Hughes
Adam Hughes rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Bill Barnett
Bill Barnett rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2011
C.M. Muller
C.M. Muller rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2013
Moudry
Moudry rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2009
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2010
Kealan Burke
Kealan Burke rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012