Start by marking “Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day” as Want to Read:
Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day

Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Published December 7th 2012 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Work

Becky
I think I may read this again after a time. It challenged me and I needed to be challenged. I see I have very little faith that things can be different and I will have to begin to believe that I can be transformed.

I love the imagery in this book. The tree blowing in a storm, with the billowing leaves and sturdy trunk - a reminder to stay with the trunk, the core body, the breath, when strong emotions arise, and to stay out of the canopy of thinking during that time. The boat that holds the pebbl
Reid
This is a fine little book on the nature of mindfulness and its applicability to the working world. Though there is no central thesis to speak of, at the same time, the overarching philosophy underlying everything here is that, were we to choose compassion and wisdom over greed and narrow thinking, the world would be a much, much better place. Hard to argue with that.

There are some wonderful jewels here, some ways of being in the world of work with love and understanding. I intend to take these
Paul Baldowski
I find a lot of this makes perfect sense and I appreciate the chance to read the ideas presented here. I'm all for the concept of living in the now and taking more time appreciating the present. Mindfulness instils an entirely appropriate appreciation that worrying about anything beyond Now is pretty pointless as it lies outside your control and, honestly, Now has enough going on to keep you occupied. Many of us swim through our lives taking very little of Now on board and then complaining that ...more
Tony Bogar
This book does an excellent job of helping you see the big picture and small details and understand how they are interconnected. Simple, engaging, and practical.

I learned that I am already practicing mindfulness - well, I am on my way. I have yet, however, to find my Right Livelihood. It's a journey for me.
Karen
I devoured this like a starving person. I'm eager to try out the concrete suggestions on Monday.
Colleen Mcclowry
Like all Thich Nhat Hanh's writings, a pleasant read-before-bed book.
Brendan
If you are already familiar with basics of 'mindfulness meditation' then this book can be summarized as TNH reminding you to try and be 'mindful' at various points throughout the work day. Somewhat flowery at times, but not a bad read for the practical aspects of considering different opportunities to step back and slow down when overly busy at work.
Ashley
What a wonderful reminder that we need to stay present in each and every moment and that we are all connected. Be mindful and bring happiness to yourself and those around you.
Kenneth Starcher
Thich Nhat Hanh, former Buddhist monk, is a highly influential and inspirational teacher, when it comes to mindful living. Work is a brisk little book that teaches the reader how to keep a calm, cool head during a typical day of work, from the time one wakes up to the time he goes to bed. It's surely helped me a lot, and it's opened my eyes and my mind to a way of life and living I'd only dreamed of before. My only real problem with this book is its abundance of grammatical errors. I think Thich ...more
Austin Wright
Out of the ten books I've read by Hanh, this one was the most foo-foo. It is basically what if the Buddha worked in a cubicle...
Klenton
Good read. My first Thich Nhat Hanh book. Definitely helpful if most of your work issues are self-inflicted. For externally-inflicted issues you might need to supplement your reading. I thought some of the techniques for avoiding commenting when you are angry good but more suited for farming as opposed to corporate life. (I'll still give them a try though.)
Paul
I've been reading this book very slowly and taking in the advice. As always, Thich Nhat Hanh provides lessons on how to make life a little more joyful and meaningful.

I would suggest this to anyone, but especially those having trouble at their workplace.

Sarah Evan
Like many Thich Nat Hanh books, he breaks down the day-to-day and things you can notice. Applying it to work is helpful especially since many of us treat work as a "just get through the 9-5 to enjoy the rest" is is about enjoying 24/7 - and I apprecaite that!
Didi Rechele
Great book by Thay, another simple yet so complete teaching in his wonderful way of making things real to your own life and experience. Good read for me as I'm working on workplace "conflict". Highly recommend this one!
Drew
A pleasingly simple Buddhist take on workplace harmony. Highly recommended for its personal advice alone; I don't think I'll ever take another step in my office without considering the advice from this book.
Rachel
I plan on taking this book to work and reviewing it when I need a reminder. I think some of these ideas could be very helpful to reduce stress!
Holly
This book has lots of specific things you can do to create a balance of focus, teamwork, hapiness during every part of your work day.
Michelle
I needed a reminder that work doesn't have to be all stress, all the time, and this book was literally a breath of fresh air.
Christina
It's a slim book, but all you need is the list of thirty things in the back. I found it far too idealistic and impracticable.
Stephanie Keyton
Loved it! I love all of his books. Offers practical advice for having a more peaceful workplace.
Sonali
Sonali added it
Jan 30, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Brigitte Zabak
Brigitte Zabak is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cover to add please 2 11 Dec 20, 2014 11:37AM
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • I am not a Buddhist
  • Deep Meditation - Pathway to Personal Freedom
  • Narrative Therapy
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever
  • Big Boy Rules: America's Mercenaries Fighting in Iraq
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Unconditional Confidence: Instructions for Meeting Any Experience with Trust and Courage
  • The Hard Questions: 100 Essential Questions to Ask Before You Say "I Do"
  • Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
  • Dinner with Churchill: Policy-Making at the Dinner Table
  • Living Clean: The Journey Continues
  • Marked for Death: Islam's War Against the West and Me
  • A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough
  • Queer: The Ultimate LGBT Guide for Teens
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Our Occulted History: Who or What Is Trying to Control Our Lives
  • What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend: A Short Guide to Making the Most of Your Days Off (a Penguin Special from Portfolio)
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years.

Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace