Start by marking “Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong” as Want to Read:
Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong

Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  5,895 Ratings  ·  496 Reviews
You wouldn’t expect Nate and Charlie to be friends. Charlie’s the laid-back captain of the basketball team, and Nate is the neurotic, scheming president of the robotics club. But they are friends, however unlikely—until Nate declares war on the cheerleaders. At stake is funding that will either cover a robotics competition or new cheerleading uniforms—but not both.

It's onl
Published May 7th 2013 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong, please sign up.

Yousef Hamad Fite Meh In Relish Loofe Nard i dont know its probably good since i mean its name is nothing can go wrong so probably nothing can go wrong
Jocelyne It's a quick easy read. Fun. Light. Worth reading, I think.

First Second Books
May 15, 2013 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!

Do you sometimes sit back and think, while you're struggling through the latest Unnamed Literary Award-Winner, what's this reading all about? Why did I decide to like it in the first place?

It typically isn't because at age ten you sat down and read Moby Dick and fell in love. No, love of reading typically comes from places like Nancy Drew and Sideways Stories from Wayside School and The Westing Game and a multitude of adventures in Oz and books that take you on an adventure and
Aug 05, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

”Chainsaws, People, We need chainsaws!”

How could I not fall in love with this story? :D

Cheerleaders with deadly dagger stares and attitudes, killer robots, and dirty political shenanigans make Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong a fun, fast moving page turner. But it is the open-wound ache and tenderness to this tale that makes it stand out from the graphic novel pack. A story with huge heart thumping away on every page, slam, *CRASH*, and smile.

Charlie Nolan and Nate Harding are embedded in a fight t
May 07, 2013 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's THE NERDS vs THE CHEERLEADERS in an epic battle that will decide who gets to spend the student activity funds. Will it be money for the robotics team OR saucy new uniforms for the rah-rah squad?

You can probably guess where my sympathies lie, but when the two groups must form an unholy alliance and WORK TOGETHER to win a battle-of-the-robots competition, it's a WIN/WIN for everyone, reader included.

The artwork is great. Characters are well-drawn, and even the robots have great facial expres
Jubilation Lee
In my continuing attempts to read absolutely everything that Faith Erin Hicks has ever written or illustrated, I picked up a copy of Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong. And then my brain exploded.

Partly, this was because while I already knew I loved one of the two authors, I sort of fell over in a state of total collapse when I realized that my God, Prudence Shen is Pru? PRU FROM /REPORT?! RAGEPRUFROCK?! I READ THE SHIT OUT OF YOUR FANFIC!! YOURS AND LEUPAGUS AND OMFG YOU HAVE A BOOK I CAN’T EVEN.

Nerds. Jocks. Cheerleaders. Epic battle. Sounds like your typical high school story, right? Enter the killer robots!*

I knew there was a high propinquity** that I would like this because I loved Faith Erin Hicks' Friends with Boys (my review / Noelle's review) and Prudence Shen's /report podcast is a must listen in my book club.*** After flying through the first 50 or so pages on the official website, I ended up breaking my months-long NetGalley ban to request it. And it was totally worth it.

Apr 12, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coming-of-age, eh
aaaaand I think we're done with Faith Erin Hicks...though admittedly I'm not clear on whether she wrote this, drew it, or collaborated on both with Prudence Shen but not unlike Friends With Boys there is way, way, way too much going on and somehow still no real story with the added bonus of really unlikable, super self absorbed main characters (and yes you could argue that that is the definition of "teenager" they're still no fun to read about).

It's 1950 (whoops I mean the present day) and the c
Arif Zulkifli
Sep 23, 2015 Arif Zulkifli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was fast.

I love this book! The artwork, the storyline, the jokes, the characters and of course the ending.

Jun 26, 2015 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to get me to read “fluffy” contemporary and enjoy it, give it to me in a graphic novel. Because let me tell you folks, Prudence Shen and Faith Erin Hicks have managed to take a good old TV trope, wrap it up in graphic novel format, and have it be the most fun I’ve had reading in some time. It has school rivalries, unexpected friendships, some very real teen-parent struggles, and gnomes:

Okay, so I’ll admit Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong is kind of ideal for us geek girls, but it’s also
Aug 06, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another work that pits nerds against cheerleaders. I should be over this sort of thing. And honestly, most of the time, I am. Luckily, Shen takes a slightly different track here. Yes, the book does start off with cheerleaders vs. nerds. But Shen's cheerleaders are smart, formidable, and ruthless in precisely equal measure to the nerds. These cheerleaders are going to be powerful women. And that, I think, is at least part of the point of Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong. Yes, the robot action is ...more
Sweet realistic story about friends and neighbors who find themselves in different cliques in high school. This becomes a problem when the administration threatens to give the robotics club's $$$ to the cheerleaders.

It's a plot-based book - most of the characters are pretty utilitarian and flat - but it's super engaging and fun to read. A quick pulpish read. I was pleased that the plot didn't go exactly where I expected it to, and the climactic scenes were my favorite part. There's a surprise m
So much fun and very, very funny. The perfect read for when you're looking for a light, quick hijinks story, with badass ladies that's also full of warmth and humor. Oh and epic bro feels. Who doesn't want those?
You wouldn’t expect Nate and Charlie to be friends. Charlie’s the laid-back captain of the basketball team and Nate is the neurotic, scheming president of the robotics club. But they are friends, until Nate declares war on the cheerleaders. At stake is funding that will either cover a robotics competition or new cheerleading uniforms, but not both. It's only going to get worse: after both parties are stripped of their funding on grounds of abominable misbehavior, Nate enrolls the club's robot in ...more
I have enjoyed Faith Erin Hicks' graphic novels before and was looking forward to this latest release. Hicks' artwork always draws me into the story and really brings her characters to life. The story behind this book is that of Charlie, a boy who is the captain of the basketball team, former boyfriend of head cheerleader and mean-girl Holly and sort of a quiet laid back kind of guy. So when his friend and neighbor Nate tries to run for student council to save the budget of the robotics team, th ...more
This was a fun story and there's so much in it. Not only are there jocks, cheerleaders and nerds entangled in a bitter fight for school funds, but there's some friendships and family relationships to care (and worry) about. A lot to chew on in this book that is both sensitive and boisterous, thoughtful and action packed.

Why did I only give it 3 stars? I found that it was too dependent on caricature and there was not enough nuance with individual characters and their dynamics.
Apr 25, 2016 Garrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect work for a generation without Pretty in Pink, Heathers, The Breakfast Club or any recently produced decent high school movies I'm unaware of and that has fully embraced graphic novels as a media for the interesting coming-of-age / cliques story. Another great work from the great Faith Erin Hicks and this time, with Prudence Shen writing. Solid read for a lazy Sunday.
Dec 02, 2015 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple is fabulous and fabulous is simple. This story is simple and fabulous. A teen story that is predictable yet full of action. What I love most is the graphics - it's one of those style that melts my heart. Reminds me of Charlie's. Looking forward to more from the artist and writers.
Robin Stevens
Jul 07, 2016 Robin Stevens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, sweet high-school graphic novel about rivalries, friendships and robots. Lovely! (8+)

The title….doesn’t really lie, actually. You would expect with a title like that all hell breaks loose.

Well, well, well. Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong was such a pleasant surprise. It was a fast and breezy read, but I ended up reading it more than twice. I’m not all into graphic novels, but that’s mostly because of the fact that I haven’t dived into the genre yet and not because I hate them – though, after this, I definitely have to start making room for them on my shelf.

I didn’t know what to ex
leslie delgadillo
May 17, 2016 leslie delgadillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs, favorites
*spoiler warning want to read but don't want spoilers? then don't read*Have you ever seen stereotypes in movies or in books or even some types in real life? well if you have then you most likely know the "popular"(jocks,cheers,etc) kids and the "nerdy" (gamer,reading,robotics)kids .The usual two types that rival each other are jocks and cheer and nerds with nerds being bullied mostly but in this book, stereotypes don't follow their "roles" instead they help each other out with difficult things. ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Got to say that after reading Friends with Boys, I'm pretty much going to try to read what other works that author does, did. This is one of them and it is awesome. This has robots, the robot club and cheerleaders. Some bromance, priceless expressions during awkward moments. Hilarity ensues. Really good and cute read that I want a sequel but like the ending either way.
May 26, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun. I haven't read Prudence Shen's work before, but Faith Erin Hill has become a new favorite. These two made a good team for this humorous story of a rivalry between a robotics club and a cheerleading squad, and the basketball player who's stuck in the middle.

The humor was just my type, with a couple references to SF pop culture that made me laugh out loud. My favorite is when the robotics club approaches the head cheerleader's mansion of a house to propose a truce. One of the kids look
David Schaafsma
Cheerleaders vs Robotics club. Robots! What's not to like? YA, high school story, with a little kid divorce complexity… Okay, the story is not that deep, but the energy and maybe especially the Faith Hicks drawings make this go!
Jun 17, 2016 Hestia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2015
This book was okay. The art was exaggerated and the story was kind of rough, so I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't really like it that much. Eh.
Hilarious and adorable. Highly enjoyable, review to come.
Flunssahuuruissani hekottelin itsekseni lukiessani tätä. Mukaansatempaava sarjakuvaromaani Charliesta, koulun koripallojoukkueen kapteenista, jonka elämä ei ole aivan pelkkää ruusuilla tanssimista. Charlien lapsuudenystävä, hieman outo Nate vetää koulun robottikerhoa ja kerhon päämäärä on päästä kansallisiin robottikilpailuihin. Harmi vain, että koululla on varaa vain yhteen isompaan satsaukseen ja samasta rahasta kilpailee huutosakkijoukkueen uudet esiintymisasut. Rehtori päättää, että koulun o ...more
This was fun! I picked it up on a whim while I was shelving graphic novels because it was new, even though I dislike contemporary/high-school stories and actually don't really care for graphic novels either.

A lot of reviews talk about the epic battle between the robot club and the cheerleaders but what this book is really about is the friendship between Charlie and Nate. They really don't have anything in common besides living on the same street and they spend the whole book arguing, beating up,
Peter Derk
Good story. Excellent art. This is a great choice for folks looking for something for a reader who has a good sense of humor but wants to avoid questionable content. There is one reference to donkey sex. Written in giant letters with weed killer on a football field. However, because it's in the book, it's really only like size 24 font. So it kind of evens out.

The plot revolves around a robot fighting tournament. Remember that show from a few years back? Where a couple remote-controlled robots wo
Nicola Mansfield
Absolutely wonderful high school story. One of the most refreshing school stories I've read lately. Manages to take a genuine, real look at high school life and issues without resorting to s*xual topics at all. Bravo, Ms Shen! The story of Nerds vs Cheerleaders with a misplaced Jock stuck between is hilarious making a deliciously fun story. At the same time, we are given a much more serious look at one character's problematic home life with divorced parents, a never-home dad and a mom living far ...more
Tara Anderson Gold
Cheerleaders, a robotics team, and a school election? Oh. Do tell me more.

Nate and Charlie have been best friends since grade school, even though they are social opposites. Nate is the geeky president of the robotics team, while Charlie is the captain of the basketball team. When Nate hatches a plan to run for school president to ensure funding for the robotics team, he expects Charlie to be on his side -- not to run against him! The cheerleaders have forced Charlie to run so the extra money wil
May 03, 2013 Rach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2013
I read this book one page a day, Monday-Friday, for almost 8 months. On holidays, sometimes there would be bonus pages, but for the most part, I experienced this story in tiny segments over a long period of time. There's something that is really fun and feels secret and special about reading something in that sort of way, like you're getting a peak at a never-before-seen exotic paradise. On the other hand, it can be hard to sustain the emotional thread over such a long period of time. I'd like t ...more
2014 Hub Reading ...: Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong 7 33 Jun 15, 2014 10:12AM
Hampton Public Li...: Cheerleaders and Robots 1 4 Aug 03, 2013 05:37AM
Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong, by Prudence Shen 2 10 May 20, 2013 04:09PM
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
  • Will & Whit
  • Sumo
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
  • Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)
  • Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!
  • Fairy Tale Comics: Classic Tales Told by Extraordinary Cartoonists
  • Dogs of War
  • The Cute Girl Network
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The Case of the Team Spirit (Bad Machinery, #1)
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade
  • Tune: Vanishing Point (Tune, #1)
  • Broxo
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • The Undertaking of Lily Chen