Start by marking “At Risk (Steve Cline, #1)” as Want to Read:
At Risk (Steve Cline, #1)

At Risk (Steve Cline #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Stubborness has its price. So does pride.... Stephen Cline will pay heavily for both when he drops out of college against his father's wishes and lands a job as barn manager at Foxdale Farm, one of Maryland's premiere equestrian facilities. An obnoxious trainer and difficult, demanding boarders are all part of the job, but Steve will need every bit of his smarts when he in ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published October 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about At Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Risk

Rick Bylina
A mystery about greed and revenge is at the center of At Risk by Kit Ehrman, but horses dominate the page. I don't know anything about horses other than the one time I rode a horse named Buck. I should have taken the hint from his name. Nevertheless, all the horse terminology and possible horse shenanigans (in and out of the business) kept me in the story despite some level of detail that I didn't fully understand. Make no mistake about it, this story starts out and ends violently. There is a fa ...more
Sharon Michael
As a Dick Francis fan since his first few books, I see where the references to his writing are coming from. Just the accurate horse knowledge is a big plus for me, as I've been involved in the horse world all my life. An author who places his story within an equine framework and then obviously knows nothing about horses or the horse business will lose me fast.

The plot is believable and focused on things that actually do occur in the horse world and the author makes no mistakes with the horse rel
Carl Brookins

A worthy successor to Dick Francis, this debut novel set in Maryland’s horse country is an excellent mystery. Stephen Cline has dropped out of college to become a barn manager at a sprawling stable called Foxdale Farms. He’s young for such responsibility, but several summers on a dude ranch as a kid and a good personality helps him out.

The farm boards horses, conducts classes for new and young riders and is generally a hard but bucolic life. Then in the blink of an eye, Cline is kidnapped along
C.L. L. Heckman
You know, I downloaded this book mainly because of my love of horses. I was skeptical at first with the intensity of the first violent encounter, and the thought of the horses getting sold to slaughter really hits home because of the crap like that people in the world do every day.

However, I read on. I thought that Steve was a well developed character who I feel represents a good amount of young stable hands I've met over the years, rebellious, strong-willed and a little cocky. Elsa and Rachel
Deb
What can I say this book had a little bit of everything I enjoy. Horses, murder, a strait forward no non-sense kinda book. If you are a Dick Frances fan then you just might like Kit.
Denise
It was a good mystery- wish there was more "horsey" to it.
Tamra LeValley
OK book. Overly predictable and slow on many occasions.
Quentin Feduchin
This is the first in a new series, 'Steve Cline Mysteries'. It's really great, I enjoyed it a lot.

The author obviously knows a lot on the subject of horses and it shows, with lots of interesting equine details: riding them, cleaning them, the tackle used, and so on.

It really is quite an absorbing book and the author keeps the action moving along nicely. The police action is kept somewhat in the background, indicating that law enforcement is not his forte. However the book comes to a satisfying c
Maya Bohnhoff
Kit Ehrman definitely had all of the equestrian details right in this book. I've sat up nights with colicky horses; she hit every note. The story was compelling; the pacing was spot on. Every character was fully realized. I liked the protagonist very much ... most of the time.

One thing only kept me from giving the book five stars and that was what seemed to me out-of-character behavior on the part of the protagonist, Steve Cline. He's described in the book description on iBooks as a "principled
Diana Hockley
As a dedicated fan of Dick Francis, I was intrigued by this novel with its engaging hero, albeit a rather young one.

I did not find the sex scenes confronting, nor did I consider that the story is too long. In fact, I think it ended just a little abruptly. Not sure why, but I was expecting another couple of pages!

The subject matter of course is very confronting and a certain event downright heartbreaking. The author obviously knows the horse world so I gather that these types of crimes involving
Grey853
Christine Meunier
Steve Cline is a 21 year old man who is the barn manager of a 200 stall horse facility, Foxdale. Arriving at work in the early hours of the morning to treat a horse with an eye ulcer, Cline stumbles across some men who are stealing horses. As he investigates, Steve finds himself kidnapped alongside the horses.

A desperate attempt to escape is rewarded with freedom... More at http://equus-blog.com/at-risk/
LJ
Ehrman, Kit-AT RISK-Ok-

When his successful surgeon father disowns him after he drops out of college, 21-year-old Stephen Cline takes a job as barn manager of Foxdale Farm, which specializes in the training and boarding of thoroughbred jumpers. In the middle of a late February night, Steve visits the stable to medicate a sick horse only to stumble on a horse theft in progress. Haunted by the events of that night after barely escaping from being kidnapped and murdered, Steve resolves to track down
joy akin
Good plot

I will not read anything else by this author. This was a good story, but you had to wade through so much filth to get to it that it was hardly worth it. The thing is, all the filth did not add to the characters or the story. In fact it was detrimental to it.
Elizabeth Martin
This book was a page turner.t

This book held my interest from beginning to end. It has enough horse related story to appeal to the horse lover and enough suspense to appeal to the mystery lover.
Patricia Nielsen
Excellent storyteller!

Excellent storyteller!

Well fleshed out characters, very neatly intertwined but not predictable. Really kept me engaged and my attention from start to finish.
George
#1 in the Stephen Cline mystery series set in rural Maryland. Cline, 21 year old barn manager at a popular horse boarding, riding, training facility is abducted and nearly killed when 7 horses are stolen from the facility. The story is about Steve working with the police to find the people behind the theft who are also responsible for similar actions and murder.

A very good read.
melissa crabtree
Good book

Good book

I am not usually into these kinds of mystery books but this one had my attention from the beginning. was hard to put it down.
LLona Cunningham
Feb 12, 2014 LLona Cunningham marked it as not-going-to-finish  ·  review of another edition
It's a horse theme mystery -- no, it's a 'my father hates me' pity party -- no, it's an experiment in graphic sex -- no, I can't figure out what it is, but it's not for me. It does have some good ratings by others, so I'm sure it's just me who can't stay interested.
Debbie Bartlett
GOOD READ.

GOOD READ.

The start was a good one then got a little slow, but picked up soon and took off from there. A good finish.
Rebecca
Pretty good. His interest makes sense. The timeline is realistic and the plot believable. The characters are a bit shallow, but I've read much worse.
Nanette Bruce
Well worth reading

This book kept my interest all the way through with twists to keep me going
Highly recommended for a good read
betty curtis
Bad

I thought this was a Christian book then I ran across the bad bad words,closed it up and sent it to the cloud
Madison Weddlr
It stunck

I thought it would have been kid nice but it had cuss word I did not like it I will never read his books ever
Diana Donnelly
Good mystery for horse lovers. First book read by this author. Grew fond of the main character and would gladly read another Steve Cline mystery
Juli
I liked the mystery in the book and was sad to see it end. Darn good for a free book!
Lea Anne
Great writing and storyline.
Faith
This story surprised me. I thought it would be more of a romance mystery. It turned out to be a good mystery (with a reasonable romantic element). All the horse information was given in an interesting, plot moving way, not, as I've seen too often, as the author saying “your need to know this, reader.” The story moved along. There were just enough twists, but nothing came out of nowhere. I like Steve Cline and would not be averse to reading more of these mysteries.
Barbara
Bit grittier than I like. There is some graphic violence - against animals, as well as humans, which was hard for me to read. I like to read for enjoyment, relaxation, escape for a bit from the stress of life - this book really didn't fit the bill, but it was a good story. I have reservations about continuing this series, if the rest continue in this vein. Guess I won't know unless it try another one. I need some time, though, before I venture there again.
Douglas Cook
I can't help but compare this first in a series with the awesome work of Dick Francis. Very similar plot lines and characterization. Well worth the read.

First sentence
Some mornings, before darkness gives way to light and a cold wind howls across the pasture and presses against the barn like a giant hand, I wonder what in the hell I’m doing working on a horse farm.

Ehrman, Kit (2010-01-05). AT RISK ((Steve Cline Mysteries)) (p. 1). . Kindle Edition.
Horse Lovers: Horse Fiction 5 16 Sep 23, 2012 04:21PM
Horses Rule: Horse Fiction 1 5 Aug 04, 2012 05:17PM
  • The Manuscript (The Delphi Chronicle, #1)
  • Jockeys and Jewels (Racetrack Romance, #3)
  • One Deadly Sister (Sandy Reid Mysteries, #1)
  • Stud: Adventures in Breeding
  • Let Us Prey (Gotcha Detective Agency Mysteries, #1)
  • Legwork
  • Deadly Aim
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • The Reluctant (Crayder Chronicles #1)
  • The Truant Officer
  • Three Days to Die (Aaron Quinn thriller series #1)
  • Fire And Ice (Liam Campbell, #1)
  • Final Vector
  • Murder on the Mind (Jeff Resnick Mystery, #1)
  • Past Imperfect
  • Deadly Stillwater
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
62052
After discovering the works of Dick Francis, Kit Ehrman quit her government job and went to work in the horse industry. Twenty-five years later, she combined her love of horses and mysteries by penning an equine-oriented mystery series featuring barn manager and amateur sleuth Steve Cline. (E-book editions now available for $2.99) The series has received outstanding reviews in The New York Times, ...more
More about Kit Ehrman...

Steve Cline (4 books)
  • Dead Man's Touch (Steve Cline, #2)
  • Cold Burn (Steve Cline, #3)
  • Triple Cross (Steve Cline, #4)
Dead Man's Touch (Steve Cline, #2) Cold Burn (Steve Cline, #3) Triple Cross (Steve Cline, #4) Writing Murder:A Basic Guide to Writing Mystery Fiction