Emptiness Dancing

Emptiness Dancing

4.51 of 5 stars 4.51  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  27 reviews
There is something about you brighter than the sun and more mysterious than the night sky. Who are you when you are not thinking yourself into existence? What is ultimately behind the set of eyes reading these words? In Emptiness Dancing, Adyashanti invites you to wake up to the essence of what you are, through the natural and spontaneous opening of the mind, heart, and bo...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Sounds True (first published 2004)

John
The unfathomable world of zen broken down by a realized master. Adayshanti was born and raised in the SF Bay Area in California, which for me made his style more accessible than many teachers from the East. The book is free of Zen jargon and traditional Zen koans, however it is not lacking in ability to disarm the mind from concepts. Adyashanti describes his awakening and what it means to live an awakened life. What it is to find that deep peace and radiance. This is the essential non-dual guide...more
Jade
I really, really enjoyed this book, and very often go back to it.

On a practical side, it's organised into different, stand alone chapters, that address topics such as Fear, Love, Dharmic Relationship, and Enlightenment. You can read it from the beginning to the end, or dip in and out depending on which chapters catch your eye.

I found the book to be really well written, and discuss each topic with great depth and clarity, and to be accessible to people at all stages of their spiritual evolution....more
Dona
A student recommended this book to me before Spring Break, and I really enjoyed reading it very slowly. I don't know much about the author--if he really practices what he preaches--but I definitely thought there was wisdom to be obtained from his writing and his outlook on life, which are very positive.
Carolyn
Awesome. I've read this book at least 4 times. Very easy and clear to understand. Doesn't have a lot of difficult terminology or lingo that some spirituality books use. I've given this book about 10 times as a gift because I think it's that important.
Jill
A book I'll continue to read over and over to remind me of how from less comes peace and love.

Adyashanti writes simply of our need to empty ourselves of all we believe we are, using the teachings of Buddha. His conversations with students are helpful in answering the readers questions along the path to acknowledged englightment.
Kim
Adya is so clear, precise and present. Even more so in person. If I could spend more time at his retreats, I would be a different person. Nonetheless, he is one of the most inspirational people I have encountered and feel lucky to have him lecture in the Bay.
Michael
Adyashanti's perspective on the True Self (no-self) and the interconnectedness of Reality is amazingly deep and lucid. Cutting away theory, he expounds on truths that can be verified by anyone...anyone willing to deconstruct thier personal identity, that is. I very much recommend this book to any sincere seeker of Truth.
Del
Feb 27, 2011 Del rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: nondual
I've already read and rated this one, but am reading again to see whether there are new insights to experience given my other reading.

2/27/2011 As I suspected, I got something completely different from the second reading. Good stuff.
Richard
Good pointers and some very good insights into questions people like me have. In combination with some other reads this provides some tools to let go of the old concepts and encourages not replacing them with new ones.
Farah Al-Shuhail
It's always nice when I read an author that I agree with. Adyashanti's spiritual teachings are profound and clear: Realize and be. At first glance, his message seems simple, however, not every seeker can live up to the conditions he set forth for attaining wisdom and enlightenment. But it's always worth trying. The only thing that prevented this from being a 5-star book was the dialog, I didn't find it very useful.

"There is no way that you couldn't just love this world to death, even though you
Peggy
Inspired me to listen to more of Adyashati's talks, which I download from the internet. I find him to be a great teacher. He makes spiritual issues a reality instead of something you feel you can't approach.
Petra
This was a real lesson in mastering my ego.
I would recommend it to anyone who struggles with the concept.
Lee Konecke
One of the best books that goes very deep into what emptiness is, but in simplistic language

Casey
Just finished reading this book & I loved it - something you could read again & again!
Dana
Zen broken down by a gifted master.I return to it again and again.
k8beeZ
An amazing Self~Inquiry teacher!!!
April
Mar 11, 2008 April rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every one
Recommended to April by: Suzanne introduced me!
Adyashanti gets it. Simple
It made me smile.
BN
Apr 09, 2014 BN rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: jeff
Years ago, just dipping my toes into these teachings, I stumbled across this book. I was skeptical until, while reading one passage, my heart started pounding. I didn't know what the hell was happening but decided I better start paying attention. This is the real thing.
Stephen
This was a difficult book for me to read. I just could not get into this book. I would read a few pages then fall asleep. Try to read a few more pages the following day then start to nod off. I've read numerous books on awakening and unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book at all. Maybe I was just not ready for this book... Its a shame as a few of my friends highly recommend this book.
Meg
This was a remarkable book, I loved the evidence of scholarship, combined with the down-to-earth very real-life observations. This is not theory this is joyful perception of how it is. The truth simply resonates. I want to read more of Adyashanti's writing.
Cricket Baker
Excellent. One of my favorite books on awakening/spirituality. I've read it several times and will no doubt read it several times more.
Karen Lewin-Hicks
The space surrounding this author is clear from his writings. Glad he shares it in this book.
Andrea
Love the title - but not the teacher.
Ellen Brown
Ellen Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Labelledominique
Labelledominique marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • The Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation
  • Moon in a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen
  • Who Dies?
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • The Diamond Sutra and the Sutra of Hui-Neng (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • The Zen Teaching of Bodhidharma
  • For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Nothing Special
  • The Enlightened Heart
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.
More about Adyashanti...
The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment True Meditation: Discover the Freedom of Pure Awareness Falling Into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering Spontaneous Awakening The Impact of Awakening: Excerpts From the Teachings of Adyashanti

“The Truth is the only thing you’ll ever run into that has no agenda.” 19 likes
“My speaking is meant to shake you awake, not to tell you how to dream better.” 17 likes