Start by marking “Tampa Burn” as Want to Read:
Tampa Burn

Tampa Burn (Doc Ford Mystery #11)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,622 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
"They've taken our son, Marion." In all his life, no matter who he was with, Marion "Doc" Ford had been passionately, irresponsibly in love with only one woman. Her name was Pilar, and she was married to a thuggish politico named Balserio in a country where Ford was working undercover. When Ford had to run, it was with a bounty on his head and, unknown to him then, a legac ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2004 by Brilliance Audio (first published May 24th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tampa Burn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tampa Burn

Chris
Jun 18, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this eleventh novel in the Doc Ford series, the formal intelligence operative turned marine biologist has been told his teenage son to a Managuan national, and former lover, has been kidnapped. And held for ransom. But when Doc begins to piece together the demands, and the mystery of who was behind the kidnapping, he soon realizes he may have a slim chance to rescue his only child from a fiendish killer.

Taut, riveting, and intricately plotted, Randy Wayne White is a stellar storyteller at the
Julie Decker
Marion Ford has quite a past, and now that past has come back to haunt him: Pilar Fuentes, his former lover, appears one day with disturbing news about their son, Laken: he's been kidnapped by a disfigured madman under the direction of Pilar's ex-husband, and now they have to cooperate with increasingly strange demands or the boy gets it. From there, Doc Ford employs his complicated form of investigation, drawing on the support of friends old and new and running into trouble from various old ene ...more
Charles Duvel
Not having ready anything by Mr. White before I was interested to see what all of the fuss is about since he is a very popular author. I can't say I was overwhelmed with this novel. His depiction of Florida cities and towns around the state are pretty spot on, but the story just seemed to drag on in some places. So many characters were introduced (maybe for future novels)it seemed like you almost needed a flow chart to keep track. I recommend you check this author out at the library before you p ...more
Chris
Jan 03, 2016 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Doc Ford: placid Dinkin's Bay life; glacial revelations of Ford and Tomlinson's back story; plenty of lady problems, Florida history and bad guy dispatching.
Donna
Nov 08, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Another intriguing Doc Ford thriller. The novels are mysteries within mysteries. Each book has a villain to be dealt with, but there is also the continued revelations regarding Doc Ford and Tomlinson, and their past. This novel delved a bit more into that aspect-but also left more than a few unanswered questions! Definitely makes you want to read the next one!
Jeremy Tyler
Feb 09, 2015 Jeremy Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fast paced, but well thought out, and full of great details. The plot is balanced, with all the adrenaline rushes you crave, and enough suspense to keep you on the edge of your seat. White has done it again!
Swankivy
I think nobody should listen to me about this book so I don't honestly even know why I'm reviewing it, but that's how I roll. Anyway, I gave it three stars because I didn't really enjoy reading it but I thought it did the thing it was supposed to do and my problem is I just don't really like books that do that thing. Dig?

I read this for book club independently of any books in the series before or after. That's probably the biggest reason I felt a weird stress headache the entire time I was readi
Mary Holt
Book was recommended to me as a salve for having no new Hiassen to read when I was feeling very "I wanna read about Florida"-esque. In short: White is no Hiassen. I did enjoy learning things about the Tampa Bay area which I probably would-be never known otherwise, but that's about where the enjoyment stopped. Our main hero is vague, narcissistic, and awfully slow on the uptake for such a self-proclaimed smart guy. On the same thread, plot lines are also rather vague and just kind of fray out...s ...more
Chris Bauer
Sep 03, 2014 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I love this series. No apologies.

This installment of Doc Ford focuses as much on his internal complexities and complicated relationships with those around him. For long time readers of the books, there is a special treat in which we are given a glimpse of one of Doc Ford's most enigmatic background mysteries, Pilar and his son, Laketon.

What impressed me most about this particular book is that the author seemed to almost put the action and convoluted plot devices on the back burner and focu
Nancy
Aug 18, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy 5 Stars; Ron 5 stars
Ed
#11 in the Doc Ford series. Doc runs a marine biological specimen lab on Sanibel Island, FL while having adventures on the side.

Doc Ford is notified by ex-lover Pilar that their son has been kidnapped by a fire scarred sociopath working for her ex-husband, a deposed dictator attempting a comeback. Pilar's arrival and his subsequent search for son, Laken, causes a disruption in Doc's current relationship with Dewey Nye.
Pete Fry
Mar 06, 2015 Pete Fry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never a disappointment.

As usual, the unlikely replacements of the late Travis Magee, Doc Ford, and his buddy Tomilson, solve another Florida based crime, and save the day. As with all of this series, it is a fast, yet, fun read. Dollar for dollar no one has the entertainment power of R. W. White. This twelfth book in the series makes me want more.
Gary Anderson
Randy Wayne White’s thriller series is excellent entertainment. Set in and around the Gulf Coast of Florida, these books star semi-retired government assassin turned marine biologist Doc Ford and an appealing cast of supporting characters.

Reading these books in order is best, beginning with Sanibel Flats. I’m still working my way through the series, and I just finished the eleventh installment, Tampa Burn. Although not the best book in the series, it features a bad guy who is fun to despise. Tam
Hal Brodsky
Aug 25, 2011 Hal Brodsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Hard to believe this is Randy Wayne White's 11th Doc Ford Book.
Hard to believe I have read and enjoyed 11 of these (as well as his non-fiction "Batfishig in the Rainforest" one of the more delightful essay collections I have ever laid my hands and eyes on ... he also has some pre-Doc Ford fiction books which can best be described as, I dunno, "exploitation trash" ?)
This novel features Doc (named after the Steinbeck character in "Cannery Row"...really!) and the growing cast of characters from the
Pat
Jun 16, 2015 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
This one started out with such a violent character that I almost put it down.
There were lighter moments mixed in with the scary parts.
Ford's son is kidnapped by an evil man.
Pilar comes to Florida.
Plot gets complex.
What is the story with Tomlinson?
OK, I'm ready for the next one.
Bob
Dec 22, 2013 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doc Ford is a former black ops assassin now running his own business supplying biologicals from the ocean to various customers. He gets a visit from a woman he had an affair with when he was operating in a small Central American Banana Republic and she informs him that their son, now a teen has been kidnapped. The kidnapper is a notorious killer known as “Incendiario” who is working for the woman’s ex-husband, a General in a rebel group trying to take over the Government. That’s the ground work ...more
Judith Engle
Jan 16, 2016 Judith Engle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A decent story but I read this series mostly for the informative bits about southwest Florida and the Everglades. The flora and fauna, the cultural influences, and the local landmarks are what makes this writing extra fun.
Laurie
Nov 15, 2015 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Still slowly making my way through this series. Enjoyable to read this with its Sanibel Island setting while we are vacationing in the same place. Lots of familiar place names and locations.
Jim
Oct 27, 2012 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Marion "Doc" Ford mystery from Randy Wayne White. Follows the story of a marine biologist & sometime C.I.A. operative. Ford's son is kidnapped in a small country down in Central America, and Ford has to help the boy's biological mother get him back from kidnappers. The story runs all over the southern portion of Florida. A few chase scenes break out and some good action scenes do play out. The plot is very slow plodding along. Too long at 394 pages, "Tampa Burn" drags along for long period ...more
Jodi Morgan
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kerry
May 17, 2016 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published 2005. A solid entry into the Doc Ford series. Good suspense and a decent plot.
Jay Wright
Mar 30, 2016 Jay Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent character development is expected. Interesting twists and turns in this book.
Book Lady
The 11th in the Doc Ford series: a marine biologist and mostly retired special ops agent who is based on Sanibel Island, Florida. When I retired I missed four of the middle books of the series and would recommend reading them in order; as I am now scrambling to connect the story lines and people that were introduced in these books.

I like this action oriented series with memorable characters and interesting biological/Florida information. Although this book is not one of my favorites, I want to m
Pat
Apr 30, 2015 Pat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
a bit convoluted, but still enjoyable.
Marc
Aug 17, 2007 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Doc Ford story. Not only do you get a feel for all of Florida (which I've only been to 3-4 times), but you get to see more than you'd see from a rental car or I-75.

Doc has to deal with his past a little more in this one, not to mention his bud Tomlinson is far more wrapped up in this one. And our evildoer has a supporting cast of crazies that make for a really fun read.

The downside of this book, it's the last one our library has on hand, and I have to get the rest through ILL
Brenda Rosa
Jul 24, 2015 Brenda Rosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yum
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I wrote in 2006: "Doc Ford's son has been abducted by a maniac. I didn't care too much for the side elements throughout the story related to Tomlinson. The stories are interesting enough without this business."

Unfortunately I can no longer remember details of this book, and wonder what the "side elements" are to which I referred. At any rate, I enjoy the Doc Ford series very much, and should be able to find one that I haven't read yet; it's been a while.
Joyce
Feb 28, 2011 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my third White treatment with Doc Ford. In this one, Doc's son, by the one woman in his life he thought he loved, is kidnapped. His current lady friend leaves town and Tomlinson and Doc are becoming estranged. There is sufficient action, both physical and mental, to keep the most particular reader engrossed. And, better yet, we learn still more about Doc and Tomlinson. Good reading!
David Ward
Tampa Burn (Doc Ford #11) by Randy Wayne White (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2004) (Fiction - Mystery) finds the love of Ford's life Pilar in Florida from Central America. She is chasing the evil kidnapper Praxades Lourdes who has taken Doc's and Pilar's teenaged son Laken. My rating: 6/10, finished 8/27/12.
Whikmn
Oct 26, 2010 Whikmn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read about Doc Ford & friends. I have read all of the newer books, going back and reading them in order. Gaining more insight of the older characters, for instance I didn't know that Tomlinson had lost memory of several years of his life. You'll have to read it to find out more.
  • Key West Connection
  • The Mango Opera
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • Bahamarama
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has
More about Randy Wayne White...

Doc Ford Mystery (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1)
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
  • The Man Who Invented Florida (Doc Ford Mystery, #3)
  • Captiva (Doc Ford Mystery, #4)
  • North of Havana (Doc Ford Mystery, #5)
  • The Mangrove Coast (Doc Ford Mystery, #6)
  • Ten Thousand Islands
  • Shark River
  • Twelve Mile Limit
  • Everglades (Doc Ford Mystery, #10)