Start by marking “Body Mind Mastery: Training for Sport and Life” as Want to Read:
Body Mind Mastery: Training for Sport and Life

Body Mind Mastery: Training for Sport and Life

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  293 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Physically demanding sports such as tennis and basketball have a lot in common with skills such as playing the piano. In addition to physical training, mastering these activities requires developing mental and emotional talents as well. Drawing on his own experiences, Dan Millman, in this revised and updated edition of The Inner Athlete, offers a regimen to integrate physi ...more
Published March 25th 1999 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Body Mind Mastery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body Mind Mastery

Owen Sandercox
May 31, 2015 Owen Sandercox rated it it was amazing
Drawing from ancient tradition and wisdom, martial arts, and many other tracts, Dan Millman shares a lifetimes' worth of insight and advice in this book. It is a must-read for anyone interested in not only physical training but also training of the self. Millman underscores an important notion that your typical self-improvement/sports psychology book might not get at in its greatest scope--that the mind and body are interlinked and that training one goes hand-in-hand with training the other. And ...more
Brian Johnson
Oct 05, 2015 Brian Johnson rated it it was amazing
“Whether you are a world-class competitor, weekend athlete, or fitness enthusiast, this book will help you overcome self-created hurdles and reawaken the natural athlete—the body mind master—inside you. Body Mind Mastery provides a clear map to a less stressful, more meaningful approach to practicing sport and life. It’s not about dedicating your life to your training but dedicating your training to your life.”

“Allow rather than resist what arises in the present moment—inside or out. Let it be
Collin
Feb 28, 2011 Collin rated it it was amazing
Body Mind Mastery: Creating Success in Sport and Life was an amazing book. It gave me insight on what it takes to be an accomplished athlete. From the physical challenges and preparations to what it takes mentally and emotionally. Dan Millman is an x athlete that knows what it takes to be great at something. He tells us about his experiences and how we can relate to them. This book gives excellent detail on how you have to train your body and mind in order to become successful in sport life.

This
John Boettcher
Sep 26, 2013 John Boettcher rated it really liked it
One of the better sports psychology books I have read. This guy comes from a completely different perspective altogether. His methods and techniques are both down to earth and applicable.

Sometimes the answers seem so simple they are intuitive, but yet, reading them and all the information he puts together in one place makes the entire process of succeeding in sports and then how that success translates directly to your life outside of sports is fantastic.

There is a part in the book that goes a
David Oren
Apr 01, 2015 David Oren rated it liked it
A book about a few fundementals. Dan writes beautifully yet his concepts weren't new to me, they bear repeating

body mind mastery
accept failure and that it will happen. Just keep practicing
relax and focus on action, no matter what your emotions are
It's better to do few minutes a day than 2 hours once a week
Karen Schneekluth
Aug 14, 2014 Karen Schneekluth rated it it was amazing
This book was required reading by my coach. Initially I was resistant to reading it but I am soooo glad I did. Good read for athletes and the principles can be applied to every day life as well. As it turns out, Coach was right (again).
Sergio Ledward
Feb 29, 2016 Sergio Ledward rated it it was amazing
Maravillosa lectura. Muy recomendada para cualquier atleta que quiera profundizar no solo en su disciplina sino en la vida. Este libro tiene sabiduría del cuerpo, de la mente y del espíritu.
Ayoub Kallel
Jun 20, 2015 Ayoub Kallel rated it really liked it
Interesting read with a few golden nuggets here and there.
Waseem
Dec 17, 2014 Waseem rated it really liked it
I listened to the audi version of thos book and actually found it really fun and a good read, a great reminder of how success in linked between the mind and body, the author really digs deep into the theory and something ive been noticing in my own life recently - although its says 'success in sport' the truth is this can be applied to anything from financial goals, business goals and more

Waseem Mirza
Peter
Dec 25, 2013 Peter rated it it was amazing

Train for life.
A master isPracticing everything.

BODY MIND MASTERY

Part 1 understand the larger game.

Principle 1 -> Non resistance

Principle 2 accommodation

Principle 3 Balance . The goldie locks principle.

Principle 4 natural order
Allt tar sin tid
Avel Rudenko
If you are at all interested in gaining that mental edge, whether in sports or daily life this book is for you! "Millman's work combines the best of the human potential movement with the practical tools needed to reach that goal. This work is as much about mastering life as it is about the game itself.
Loucindy
Aug 10, 2015 Loucindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wellness, non-fiction
Great introduction to the idea of sports as it intersects with the mind.
Angela Alfonso
Jun 02, 2013 Angela Alfonso rated it really liked it
Anca Petre
Mar 25, 2014 Anca Petre rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest books I have ever read. Powerful insights about body mind masters and flow of life. Definitely a great gift for someone interested in sports, meditation and life.
Cherie
May 13, 2011 Cherie rated it it was ok
C+ Eh. I wasn't AS into this…some good info on how to be a warrior athlete, but some stuff geared towards kids, towards exercises I won't do…and at times, a little tedious.
Dawne
Jul 05, 2014 Dawne rated it really liked it
Much more clearly written than The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Very good advice on getting your body and mind to work together to achieve your goals.
Joanie
Aug 20, 2008 Joanie added it
A friend gave this to me after I described my typical nervousness prior to competitive sporting events. Has some interesting principles so far.
Emily Lueck
Apr 13, 2011 Emily Lueck rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
What a wonderful look at the approach to practice. I know that if I apply this to my dancing I will create more organic movement.
Terry Manucci
Sep 11, 2014 Terry Manucci rated it it was amazing
I will refer to this book over and over again for inspiration and practical motivation. Dan Millman, always keeping it real!
Mark Yoshida
Jul 19, 2012 Mark Yoshida rated it really liked it
Has some practical tips on being the best physical you that you can be, although I haven't tried them yet.
Amanda
Mar 26, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Lots of great stuff in this book, I found it very interesting, helpful..
Rachael
Dec 18, 2012 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Lots of great quotes in this book. Really amps you up to do your best everyday!
Eric Chung
Nov 27, 2013 Eric Chung rated it it was amazing
this book just may change my life.
Sydney
Jan 07, 2012 Sydney added it
Read for research.
Carlos Martinez
Carlos Martinez rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Dr Ashita Bajaj
Dr Ashita Bajaj marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Sofia Oprinoiu
Sofia Oprinoiu marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Yasmeenn Abdallah
Yasmeenn Abdallah marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Chester
Chester is currently reading it
May 14, 2016
Elizabeth Garcia
Elizabeth Garcia rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
  • In Pursuit of Excellence: How to Win in Sport and Life Through Mental Training
  • Ecstasy: Understanding the Psychology of Joy
  • The Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses
  • Indigo Adults: Understanding Who You Are and What You Can Become
  • Thresholds of the Mind
  • A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last
  • The Different Drum: Community Making and Peace
  • Meditation within Eternity: The Modern Mystics Guide to Gaining Unlimited Spiritual Energy, Accessing Higher Consciousness and Meditation Techniques for Spiritual Growth
  • Harmonic Wealth: The Secret of Attracting the Life You Want
  • Losing Your Pounds of Pain
  • The Miracle Ball Method: Relieve Your Pain, Reshape Your Body, Reduce Your Stress
  • Age-Proof Your Brain: Sharpen Your Memory in 7 Days
  • Limitless Mind: A Guide to Remote Viewing and Transformation of Consciousness
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
  • Healing Lyme: Natural Prevention and Treatment of Lyme Borreliosis and Its Coinfections
  • Healing the Soul in the Age of the Brain: Becoming Conscious in an Unconcscious World
  • Live with Passion!: Stategies for Creating a Compelling Future
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website
More about Dan Millman...

“Life was never meant to be a struggle, just a gentle progression from one point to another, much like walking through a valley on a sunny day. — Stuart Wilde” 1 likes
“An overnight success usually takes about ten years. — Anonymous” 0 likes