Start by marking “Blood+, Vol. 01 (Blood+, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood+, Vol. 01 (Blood+, #1)

Blood+, Vol. 01 (Blood+ #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,919 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Set several decades after the events in the popular Blood: The Last Vampire anime film, an amnesiac Saya Otonashi lives as a seemingly normal high school student with her adoptive family in Okinawa. Horrible nightmares are the only hints at the violent life she once led, but her past is about to catch up with her and awaken the merciless warrior within. Chiropterans -- pow ...more
Published February 6th 2008 by Dark Horse Comics (first published December 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blood+, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood+, Vol. 01

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
95th out of 880 books — 2,566 voters
Vampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoChibi Vampire, Vol. 01 by Yuna KagesakiHellsing, Vol. 01 by Kohta HiranoVampire Kisses by Ellen SchreiberMillennium Snow, Vol. 1 by Bisco Hatori
Best Vampire Manga
6th out of 112 books — 146 voters

More lists with this book...

VampireNovelFan
If you're familiar with the Blood+ anime and enjoyed it, then I definitely recommend this manga series. The first volume takes you into Saya's life. She's seemingly your average teenage girl who has been adopted into a Japanese family's home. She has no memory of her past, but that's soon remedied as a mysterious figure from her past, Haji, finds her and awakens her powers. Chiropterans--vampiric like shapechanging monsters--are now plaguing the city and only Saya's powers can stop them.

This man
Fiction State Of Mind
CROSSOVER SUNDAY

Blood + is another manga series that started as a series of novels. It was a popular Anime Series and Feature Film. After watching the film I looked forward to the manga series.

"The amnesiac Saya lives as a seemingly normal high school student with her adoptive family in Okinawa Japan.Horrible nightmares are the only hints at the violent life she once led,... A viscious attack by the Chiropterans- powerful shape-changing creatures who crave blood, awaken her past as a fearful war
MissAnnThrope
Rating: * * * * 1/2

Blood+ is a spinoff of the anime Blood: The Last Vampire . The anime is much darker and bloodier than this manga (so far) and very, very short. I really enjoyed watching it over a decade ago and it left me wanting more. The ending was so abrupt that I felt certain there would be another movie to follow, but I kept waiting and waiting and ... nothing.

A couple of years later, Blood: The Last Vampire 2002 was released and subsequent light novels followed, but none quite filled t
Shelby
I read this many years ago. I liked it but it was very fast moving. And there isn't very many volumes. I enjoyed the show(anime) more. Still worth reading though.
Andrew
With Vampires not being a genre I enjoy, I bought this on first volume on some sort of whim. Maybe it was the casual browse through coupled with the fact that the TV series was being well promoted. It turns out this series is only 5 volumes long with the addition of a 2 volume prequel and 4 Light novels. So there's plenty to sink you teeth into if this stuff is you cup of tea. I did like the art for the main character, Saya, but everything and everyone else was rather dull or cliched. I don't kn ...more
Dylan Murphy
There are two things that stand out for me with Blood+.
1. The art style and character designs are amazing. The world looks good, the action is unreal, and the characters are some of my personal favourites in terms of design.
2. The "Vampires" in Blood+ are my favourite kind of vampires. The ones that are dark and terrifying. The ones that would actually terrorize a country.

The first volume starts off a bit slow, and I personally don't enjoy all situations and whatnot, but overall it is a very enj
Leila Anani
Saya is a Japanese school girl with amnesia, she can remember nothing before the current year. What she doesn't know is that she is an inhuman vampire hunter who's mixed blood is the only thing that can kill Chiropterans (evil monster vampires). She has been placed in foster care by secret organization Red Shield until she is needed. That time is now. Nice clear artwork with a very readable text. Story itself is so-so. Most interesting character is insade child vampire Charles - His quoting Ophe ...more
Sara
So much mystery in the opening pages propels you to read more. Saya is a young girl that has amnesia and for the last year, lived with no memories of who she is. She has some slight flashbacks and dreams that hint she has a dark history, but she doesn't know how they connect. What really made me love her- she has a huge appetite!! Kai, who is adorable, keeps her from falling too deep into her darkness by headbutting her into reality. I loved how he would just grab her head and smash it with his ...more
Raisa
Looooove it! My fave manga ever!! Hagi and saya are meant to be together .
S
I tried this after enjoying the first third of the anime, but being bored by filler in the middle and unimpressed by the flattening of Saya's character in the last part.

I can't say if this manga (an adaptation of a series of novels and an anime) stands up on its own, but despite not liking the art style that much I'll be trying the next in the series to see if the narrative improves from the anime version.
cindy
Well, I thought I would never read a vampire story anymore, but yet I read these (it's only 5 volumes, btw). It was an okay story. I like some unpredictable twisted, and the ending part was absolutely acceptable, not forcefuly-hollywoody-happy-ending-thingy, so it's not completely wasting time. It's just not my type, too bloody, gothic and gloomy. ;)
Sofia
Apr 11, 2010 Sofia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
As the name suggests it's pretty bloody. It keeps to the general, stariotipical drama of love that it not meant to be. They are trying to force family themes and are you your past or your present? But it was too chunky. Although the art was well done. I didn't like the way they portrayed the U.S. they made us look stupid and bloody.
A. E. S.
Fan-made sequel to Blood: The Last Vampire. Saya now lives as a normal teenager, not remembering her past or her sister. All that changes with the appearance of Haji and his violin. It turns out she's been placed in a "foster" home until the organization Red Shield needs her - and revives her horrifying memories of war-time Vietnam.
Elliot
Reasons why I love this:
- Beautiful Artwork.
- Bad ass leading lady.
- Even more bad ass female villain.
- Katana.
- The Victorian era (only in flash backs, but still).
- Vampires (The evil, blood thirsty kind).
- a imperfect love story.
- and, the encouragement of family values.
Beckiezra
I like the art well enough, it looks very similar to the anime I saw a number of years ago. I only vaguely recall the storyline. This is a fine read but nothing super exciting/stunning. I did have to keep reading though and I liked the funny comics at the back.
Aaron Glett
A young girl has to go to the hospital every so often for blood transfusions. What she doesn't know, is she is part of an age long problem that is only going to get worse. Chiropterans are coming in larger numbers, and she is the only one who can defeat them.
Amy
I borrowed this manga from a co-worker (a fellow Furuba lover!) ... of course, it's only the first book, but I think there were some really interesting hooks: Violence/High School/Vampire Hunters/Romance/Secret Pasts I'd be willing to read the second one!
Lori
This anime is my all time favorite, which why I think it's sad that the manga only got 5 volumes. But I enjoyed the variations it offered from that story line, even if the art wasn't as nice.
Bridget
the art style is so much prettier in the manga than the anime. honestly, this is one of those series where the manga might be better than the anime. one of the few I've bought all of the volumes of.
Ginny
It was a nice manga.but since the anime was so muh more better and I loved it,I can't judge honestly!however I give 3 stars to it.for something must show the difference between the anime and manga!
Cathleen Driver
I love everything about this series. The author is very creative with plot twists and characters. A must read if you like bloody violence with a little bit of romance on the side.
Moisés Sosa
I really love blood plus, I think it's my favorite anime, so this manga is like the perfect way to remember that.
Paola
No estuvo mal, aunque ya me había acostumbrado al anime esto es muy diferente. De igual manera, me gustó.
Morbus Iff
I don't really understand why this has been cherished so highly. Maybe just the manga sucks.
Jessica
fell in love with this story and art. love everything with saya in it. can't put it down.
Ellee
Not bad. A promising (if a little over-the-top dramatic) start to the series.
scarlettraces
extension of the franchise. promising so far. i like hagi, but then i would.
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 1
  • Blood+ Adagio, Vol. 02 (Blood+ Adagio, #2)
  • Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D, Volume 01
  • Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1 (Wolf's Rain, #1)
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 1
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #1)
  • Highschool of the Dead, Band 2
  • tactics, Volume 1
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #1)
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 01
  • Dance In The Vampire Bund, Vol. 1 (Dance in the Vampire Bund, #1)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • Dogs: Prelude, Volume 0
Blood+, Vol. 02 (Blood+, #2) Blood+, Vol. 03 (Blood+, #3) Blood+, Vol. 05 (Blood+, #5) Blood+, Vol. 04 (Blood+, #4) Le Portrait de Petite Cossette 1 (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, #1)