Start by marking “Blood+, Vol. 01 (Blood+, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood+, Vol. 01 (Blood+, #1)

Blood+, Vol. 01 (Blood+ #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,659 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Set several decades after the events in the popular Blood: The Last Vampire anime film, an amnesiac Saya Otonashi lives as a seemingly normal high school student with her adoptive family in Okinawa. Horrible nightmares are the only hints at the violent life she once led, but her past is about to catch up with her and awaken the merciless warrior within. Chiropterans -- pow ...more
Published February 6th 2008 by Dark Horse Comics (first published December 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blood+, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood+, Vol. 01

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
98th out of 827 books — 3,150 voters
Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoChibi Vampire, Vol. 01 by Yuna KagesakiHellsing, Vol. 01 by Kohta HiranoVampire Kisses by Ellen SchreiberMillennium Snow, Vol. 1 by Bisco Hatori
Best Vampire Manga
7th out of 63 books — 186 voters

More lists with this book...

VampireNovelFan
Jan 08, 2012 VampireNovelFan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, vampires
If you're familiar with the Blood+ anime and enjoyed it, then I definitely recommend this manga series. The first volume takes you into Saya's life. She's seemingly your average teenage girl who has been adopted into a Japanese family's home. She has no memory of her past, but that's soon remedied as a mysterious figure from her past, Haji, finds her and awakens her powers. Chiropterans--vampiric like shapechanging monsters--are now plaguing the city and only Saya's powers can stop them.

This man
Fiction State Of Mind
Apr 11, 2010 Fiction State Of Mind rated it it was amazing
CROSSOVER SUNDAY

Blood + is another manga series that started as a series of novels. It was a popular Anime Series and Feature Film. After watching the film I looked forward to the manga series.

"The amnesiac Saya lives as a seemingly normal high school student with her adoptive family in Okinawa Japan.Horrible nightmares are the only hints at the violent life she once led,... A viscious attack by the Chiropterans- powerful shape-changing creatures who crave blood, awaken her past as a fearful war
Camila Gil
Jul 24, 2015 Camila Gil rated it it was ok
Recommended to Camila by: Nane
Shelves: ilustrados
Ya había visto el primer episodio del anime pero no me había atrapado en absoluto, así que me descargue el primer volumen del manga para leerlo a ver si valía la pena la historia. Definitivamente el manga es muchísimo mejor (aunque siempre lo es).

Los personajes hasta ahora se pueden distinguir solo por sus valores, que si este apoya a la familia o este se burla... la única de la que sabemos mas características es Saya a pesar de ser un misterio quien es.

Cuando termine este primer volumen me dij
Justin
Jan 15, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I've seen the anime, but methinks they are somewhat similar. This first volume I don't recall a lot of the details, but it is good nonetheless. I'm excited for more.
MissAnnThrope
Sep 22, 2012 MissAnnThrope rated it really liked it
Rating: * * * * 1/2

Blood+ is a spinoff of the anime Blood: The Last Vampire . The anime is much darker and bloodier than this manga (so far) and very, very short. I really enjoyed watching it over a decade ago and it left me wanting more. The ending was so abrupt that I felt certain there would be another movie to follow, but I kept waiting and waiting and ... nothing.

A couple of years later, Blood: The Last Vampire 2002 was released and subsequent light novels followed, but none quite filled
Silver
Apr 02, 2015 Silver rated it really liked it
I love the concept, the artwork, the diction, I really feel immersed in the world and I'm interested to see what happens next. While it was sometimes confusing, it really came together to be a great first volume
Shelby
Feb 28, 2014 Shelby rated it liked it
I read this many years ago. I liked it but it was very fast moving. And there isn't very many volumes. I enjoyed the show(anime) more. Still worth reading though.
Andrew
Jan 31, 2009 Andrew rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads
With Vampires not being a genre I enjoy, I bought this on first volume on some sort of whim. Maybe it was the casual browse through coupled with the fact that the TV series was being well promoted. It turns out this series is only 5 volumes long with the addition of a 2 volume prequel and 4 Light novels. So there's plenty to sink you teeth into if this stuff is you cup of tea. I did like the art for the main character, Saya, but everything and everyone else was rather dull or cliched. I don't kn ...more
Dylan Murphy
There are two things that stand out for me with Blood+.
1. The art style and character designs are amazing. The world looks good, the action is unreal, and the characters are some of my personal favourites in terms of design.
2. The "Vampires" in Blood+ are my favourite kind of vampires. The ones that are dark and terrifying. The ones that would actually terrorize a country.

The first volume starts off a bit slow, and I personally don't enjoy all situations and whatnot, but overall it is a very enj
Michaela
My first Manga. I think it was okay. I don't know if I like the main character though... Let's see how it progresses.
Leila Anani
Saya is a Japanese school girl with amnesia, she can remember nothing before the current year. What she doesn't know is that she is an inhuman vampire hunter who's mixed blood is the only thing that can kill Chiropterans (evil monster vampires). She has been placed in foster care by secret organization Red Shield until she is needed. That time is now. Nice clear artwork with a very readable text. Story itself is so-so. Most interesting character is insade child vampire Charles - His quoting Ophe ...more
Sara
Nov 10, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
So much mystery in the opening pages propels you to read more. Saya is a young girl that has amnesia and for the last year, lived with no memories of who she is. She has some slight flashbacks and dreams that hint she has a dark history, but she doesn't know how they connect. What really made me love her- she has a huge appetite!! Kai, who is adorable, keeps her from falling too deep into her darkness by headbutting her into reality. I loved how he would just grab her head and smash it with his ...more
Raisa
Mar 05, 2014 Raisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires, manga
Looooove it! My fave manga ever!! Hagi and saya are meant to be together .
Joseph Young
Mar 12, 2016 Joseph Young rated it it was ok
Seemed ok, but not compelling or that interesting. The change of pace from every day normal life to suddenly battling monsters seemed off putting. Book almost seemed like it was confused as to whether it was a thriller or some sort of soap opera.
S
Apr 30, 2015 S rated it liked it
I tried this after enjoying the first third of the anime, but being bored by filler in the middle and unimpressed by the flattening of Saya's character in the last part.

I can't say if this manga (an adaptation of a series of novels and an anime) stands up on its own, but despite not liking the art style that much I'll be trying the next in the series to see if the narrative improves from the anime version.
cindy
Well, I thought I would never read a vampire story anymore, but yet I read these (it's only 5 volumes, btw). It was an okay story. I like some unpredictable twisted, and the ending part was absolutely acceptable, not forcefuly-hollywoody-happy-ending-thingy, so it's not completely wasting time. It's just not my type, too bloody, gothic and gloomy. ;)
Alice Degan
Jul 13, 2015 Alice Degan rated it did not like it
This series started out intriguingly, but became confusing and gross. Apparently it's an adaptation of a spin-off of an original movie? That might account for some of the confusion.
Sofia
Apr 11, 2010 Sofia rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
As the name suggests it's pretty bloody. It keeps to the general, stariotipical drama of love that it not meant to be. They are trying to force family themes and are you your past or your present? But it was too chunky. Although the art was well done. I didn't like the way they portrayed the U.S. they made us look stupid and bloody.
A. E. S.
May 09, 2013 A. E. S. rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire-lore
Fan-made sequel to Blood: The Last Vampire. Saya now lives as a normal teenager, not remembering her past or her sister. All that changes with the appearance of Haji and his violin. It turns out she's been placed in a "foster" home until the organization Red Shield needs her - and revives her horrifying memories of war-time Vietnam.
Elliot
Dec 15, 2010 Elliot rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-comics, favorites
Reasons why I love this:
- Beautiful Artwork.
- Bad ass leading lady.
- Even more bad ass female villain.
- Katana.
- The Victorian era (only in flash backs, but still).
- Vampires (The evil, blood thirsty kind).
- a imperfect love story.
- and, the encouragement of family values.
Beckiezra
Jul 09, 2012 Beckiezra rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
I like the art well enough, it looks very similar to the anime I saw a number of years ago. I only vaguely recall the storyline. This is a fine read but nothing super exciting/stunning. I did have to keep reading though and I liked the funny comics at the back.
Aaron Glett
Oct 16, 2012 Aaron Glett rated it really liked it
A young girl has to go to the hospital every so often for blood transfusions. What she doesn't know, is she is part of an age long problem that is only going to get worse. Chiropterans are coming in larger numbers, and she is the only one who can defeat them.
Amy
May 29, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
I borrowed this manga from a co-worker (a fellow Furuba lover!) ... of course, it's only the first book, but I think there were some really interesting hooks: Violence/High School/Vampire Hunters/Romance/Secret Pasts I'd be willing to read the second one!
S.
Good start for thus companion adaptation of the anime series. I think what interests me the most is watching how the differences evolve in this version. Already some pretty interesting choices.
Lori
Jul 23, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
This anime is my all time favorite, which why I think it's sad that the manga only got 5 volumes. But I enjoyed the variations it offered from that story line, even if the art wasn't as nice.
Bridget
Jan 13, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
the art style is so much prettier in the manga than the anime. honestly, this is one of those series where the manga might be better than the anime. one of the few I've bought all of the volumes of.
Ginny
It was a nice manga.but since the anime was so muh more better and I loved it,I can't judge honestly!however I give 3 stars to it.for something must show the difference between the anime and manga!
Cathleen Driver
Jul 08, 2012 Cathleen Driver rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this series. The author is very creative with plot twists and characters. A must read if you like bloody violence with a little bit of romance on the side.
Katherine Belzowski
Feb 14, 2016 Katherine Belzowski rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
First book doesn't get into the heart of the story too much, mostly just set up. It was hard to follow the action shots due to the way they were drawn.
  • Blood+ Adagio, Vol. 02 (Blood+ Adagio, #2)
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 1
  • Hideyuki Kikuchi's Vampire Hunter D, Volume 01
  • Wolf's Rain, Vol. 1 (Wolf's Rain, #1)
  • Zombie-Loan, Vol. 1
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #1)
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 01
  • Highschool of the Dead, Band 3
  • Hellsing, Vol. 06 (Hellsing, #6)
  • tactics, Volume 1
  • Blood+: Kowloon Nights
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 1
  • Dogs: Prelude, Volume 0

Blood+ (5 books)
  • Blood+, Vol. 02 (Blood+, #2)
  • Blood+, Vol. 03 (Blood+, #3)
  • Blood+, Vol. 04 (Blood+, #4)
  • Blood+, Vol. 05 (Blood+, #5)