Start by marking “The Maid's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Maid's Daughter

The Maid's Daughter (Men Of Wolff Mountain #4)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  1,028 ratings  ·  73 reviews

He thought he was finished rescuing damsels in distress. After all, hadn't playing hero gotten millionaire Devlyn Wolff into enough trouble? Still, when a car accident lands Gillian Carlyle at his feet, he can't walk away...even when he learns of her connection to his past.
Giving Gillian a job with his new business venture is not Devlyn's way of assuaging age-old guilt. N
Published December 1st 2013 by Harlequin Desire (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Maid's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maid's Daughter

LaFleurBleue
That was not a very good book. The whole story takes place in less than 1 week, which does not leave room for character development, emotions growing or realism. The characters are a bit schematic and often behave irrationally or unrealistically. And there was too much sex, and furthermore unprotected sex, considering the length of the story. I did not buy their HEA.
Penny Watson
Up until the end, I think this was maybe 3 stars? And then....the ending. It almost seemed like the author got tired of writing this book, and just said "THE HELL WITH IT" and finished with the most abrupt, ridiculous wrap-up I've ever seen. The hero went from suffering from severe mental issues concerning childhood abuse/refusing to consider children in his future to "LET'S MAKE A BABY, HONEY!" in one paragraph.

Speechless.

Sort of funny.

And it was free. So there's that at least.

I think I'm gonn
Susan
Good book. Gillian is back on Wolff Mountain and staying with her mother while she looks for a new job. When her car goes off the road in the rain, she is rescued by Devlyn, who doesn't recognize her at first. When he does, the feelings of guilt over the way he treated her one time when they were children come rushing back. He also discovers he is very attracted to her. As a way to help her out while keeping her close, he hires her as a consultant for the school his family is building in the nea ...more
Debbie
I read this book on Kindle even though it was posted as a paperback. I couldn't find a Kindle version to post. I really enjoy this series. I really enjoyed this story. I was very surprised toward the end. I never expected that..........Not giving anything away, read it for yourself.
Tia
I love the Wolff books, a lot. This one was no exception. I fell in love with the heroine right away and drooled over the hero. There was a lot of points I didn't agree on and some I didn't like but overall the novel is well written and does keep you intrigued. 4 stars!
Brad
"The Maid's Daughter" Janice Maynard, I really enjoyed this novel; speaking from a reader who read the book in a morning/afternoon time frame. This is was my first The Men of Wolff Mountain book in the miniseries . I'm looking forward to reading the past books for this series!!
Tonileg
Rich reclusive dude gets a second chance at being friends and more with a childhood acquaintance when they get in an accident on the family's mountain.
Super wealthy Devlyn Wolff hurt the young Gillian Carlyle when they were children because she tried to be a friend after Devlyn's mother's funeral, but he harshly rejected her and then they avoided each other for the next twenty years.
So the car accident brings them together and then Devlyn offers Gillian a job to keep her in his life. So a bit o
Brandy
Looking through the ratings I see that either people enjoyed it a lot or not at all. I however, love Devlyn as a character just for the mere fact that he is tormented. Yes to many that may sound strange but I like how the author seemed to be able to grasp the emotion behind his character and describe what he was feeling and why and how through time that feeling did or did not progress. I will admit that I found his 'finding' the one to get him to realize it was not his fault and healing him busi ...more
Lisa Clemens
Reviewed at The Smexin' Shelf:
The Maid's Daughter by Janice Maynard is somewhat a Cinderella story, somewhat a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast. Sort of the heroine taming the tormented, savage male...though by her admission, the heroine's a far cry from being a raving beauty.

It's the third of the Men of Wolff Mountain romance series but the story can stand on its own. I picked it up on Kindle and the fact that it was free didn't hurt a bit. I couldn't exactly say the same for the reading
Read Adult Romance (readadultromance.com)
Read the rest of the review at readadultromance.com

"Never try to hide from a Wolff,” he said, teasing her. “I’ll always find you.”

Sometimes You Don’t Want a Second Chance.

I really have to stop reading books that have a super rich male protagonist. (Is there even situations where it’s the other way around?) Also it’s easy to “make your first million” when you already have money — unless you’re telling us that he is supposed to be spoiled and snobby (you probably weren’t).

The novel kicks off with
☂ ℬrandi

My enjoyment in the Men Of Wolff Mountain series started on a high. Gareth is one of those heroes you (well me anyway) dream about long after a book is over. Next was baby brother Kieran's turn and though it wasn't better than the first book it held its own. Then there was middle brother Jacob's book and frankly I thought his story was going to blow my mind. At best it was irksome. Now it's time for the 3 Wolff cousins, Devlyn, Annalise and Larkin. Devlyn's story starts us off and unfortunately
L.  (I've Past 400)
After Devlyn rescues Gillian from a car accident, they both have a case of the hot pants for each other. Yeah, cuz car accidents will do that to you. However, they must resist their strong attraction to each other. Devlyn because he's a Harlequin man - he's got issues. Gillian because she's a Harlequin heroine - she doesn't think she's pretty enough for him. Thankfully all of their problems are easily overcome with a couple of bouts of adequate sex.
Bonnie
The Maid's Daughter was a very good book. One of The Men Of Wolff Mountain Series. Devlyn was beaten by his mom when he was little. He doesn't trust he can be any different then his mother. Gillian comes into the pictures. Devlyn hires her as a teacher to a new school the Wolff foundation is going to finance. She falls in love with Devlyn. She helps him realize he is a good person and can love children. A must read.
Gina
What started out as maybe a 3 star book took a drastic turn off a cliff in the last few chapters. Playboy bazillionaire Devlyn almost car wrecks into Gillian, the daughter of the family maid, and that leads to him hiring her to run a new school project and lots of sex. Four days after they crash (and he doesn't even remember her) they start talking about babies. This was a free kindle download and it was worth what I paid.
Cristina
Prendi la storia di Cenerentola, aggiungi un serio trauma infantile ed ecco la trama. Non è brutto ma certo avrebbe potuto essere meglio. Lo salvo perchè l'autrice dimostra sensibilità nel descrivere le vulnerabilità di un uomo che, per quanto di successo, non riesce a dimenticare i traumi passati, ma non li affronta passando per fruste e manette (dopo 50 sfumature praticamente son tutti così).
Nucking Futs the Fire Fairy Book-a-holic
First of all, I have to say that this story isn't believable at all. So you meet a childhood friend (you're not even friends, actually) after a long time and decided to get intimate for a while but you fell in love with each other. All in a matter of about 4 days? Really, the timespan of this story is 4 days, from the time they met again until the time that they decided to have a family. How crazy is that?
And they have this rejection issue from childhood which I think isn't really that traumatic
Paula Legate
I really enjoyed this book. This was a very emotional story. The Hero, and Heroine were wonderful people. Devylyn Wolff has a heart of gold. He is also handsome, and rich, and runs his families company. He broke Gillian’s heart many years ago. He feels bad about what he did, and he takes the time to apologize. I was sold on this book when he apologized… This was a beautiful, and heartwarming journey packed with strong emotions. I don’t want to give too much away, and spoil the book for you, so I ...more
Anais Torres
Not my cup of tea.

The story had its moments but it just wasn't for me. The male lead wasn't likeable and his deep dark secret didn't make me feel for him. Gilligan is a good strong woman who gave him too much credit and I don't really see the reasons why she felt so loved by him. everything was so sexual and just rushed.
Julia Herondale
"The Maid's Daughter" was simply amazing! It was my first Janice Maynard novel and I must say that it will certainly not be my last. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and to be honest, it ended way too quickly. The storyline and characters were fantastic. I loved Devlyn and Gillian; really the whole Wolff clan. I'm excited for this series and I can't wait to read more!
Andita
Be careful...

or you might get snared by the long teeth of a Wolff. The men are hot and a little needy or at least this one was. I didn't have the strength to out this down despite my hunger. I'm looking forward to more by Janice Maynard, she left me with thoughts of sexy wolves on the prowl.
Marina Andreou
Ο Ντεβλιν εδω στο 4 βιβλιο της σειρας-Λυκοι- ειναι πληγωμενος απο την παιδικη του ηλικια και τωρα που ειναι ενηλικος αν και προσπαθουσε τοσα χρονια και του δωθηκαν ευκαιριες μονο η Τζιλιαν αγγιξε την καρδια του.Μαθαινουμε τον λογο που ειναι ετσι προς το τελος του βιβλιου.Η Τζιλιαν δεν τα βαζει κατω..παλευει συνεχεια με τον Ντεβλιν αν πρεπει να του δωσει μια ευκαιρεια να ειναι μαζι,αλλα επειδη η μητερα της εργαζεται στο υπηρετικο προσωπικο του σπιτιου καπου ντρεπεται γι αυτο.Εδω κανει και λιγο τη ...more
Harlow
I was not determined to finish reading this book and I struggled to keep turning pages. There was something about the characters that wasn't appealing to me. I felt as though things moved on too quickly and the ending itself was just underwhelming. I felt that this book was so unrealistic even for a fictional story because it wasn't very well developed. I feel as though their sex lives were more developed than their characters.
Brandi
I liked the book! Gillian & Devlyn pulled me in since the beginning & I had to see where their journey took them. Wished Devlyn had helped with the boy, since he himself had been through what the boy was going through,... That was my only problem with the book.
Amanda
The characters were great. The potential story was great. The ridiculous timeliness (one week?) and abrupt ending were horrible. This could have been developed a little more and become a very good book. Unfortunately that's not where it went.
Susan
Devlyn Wolff pisses me off. Enough said on that topic. In all, the book is good even though the hero is stubborn and pigheaded. Once the story took off, it went quickly. I would have liked to have a peek into their future.
Amanda
I think I downloaded this for free....but I'm not sure. It was lurking on my Kindle, and I needed something to read. Anyway, this is an ok book. I like how the the class issues were handled--they weren't dismissed, but yet were left for the characters to navigate. Which they did. Once the characters got over that, the story kind of stalled for me. There was too much navel gazing. When the Deep, Dark Secret was revealed at the end of the book, I had already guessed it and thought it should have c ...more
Melissa Marlow
Devlyn Wolff, has a bad habit of rescuing damsels in distress. A successful millionaire doesn’t need any trouble that may happen if he rescues another one, but when Gillian Carlyle runs into a tree in front of him he cannot walk away from what he is good at… Saving the girl.

The only problems is that she is a girl from his past that he had wronged a long time ago. It’s not really guilt that makes him offer her a job, but what does he offer her?

That, you will have to read to find out. This was a v
Gwbroussard
I enjoyed this book and liked the characters. I enjoyed Mr. Wolff and would love to read more on this couple. Some parts were a little long and dfrawn out but for the most part it was funny and the some steamy scenes.
Mary E
This was my first Maynard book. I loved it. It was so good, I went back and read the first three books in the series- The Men of Wolff Mountain!
Gaylin Walli
Office romance, second chances, and a few other good tropes thrown into the works. In the right hands they could have been deftly woven into a tight story ideally suited for this line. Sadly this one fell short for me. I struggled with believability of situations because it felt like they almost all appeared rushed. Unfortunate. Best scene? The first dinner the hero takes the heroine to. The banter between the heroine and the hero's potential investor was charming and chuckle-worthy.
  • Hajar's Hidden Legacy
  • On the Verge of I Do (Dynasties: The Kincaids #4)
  • Up Close and Personal
  • Honorable Intentions (The Landis Brothers, #5)
  • His Marriage to Remember
  • The Sheikh's Claim (Desert Nights #2)
  • Becoming Dante (The Dante Legacy #9)
  • A Tangled Affair (The Pearl House #2)
  • Caroselli's Christmas Baby (The Caroselli Inheritance #1)
  • Whatever the Price (Hollywood #2)
  • A Man of Distinction (Lawyers in Love, #3)
  • The Rogue's Fortune (The Highest Bidder #5)
  • In His Brother's Place
  • Calling All the Shots
  • An Innocent in Paradise
  • What Happens in Charleston... (Dynasties: The Kincaids #2)
  • A Cowboy Comes Home (Colorado Cattle Barons, #1)
Janice Maynard came to the writing life early! When her third grade short story, “The Princess and the Robbers”, won a red ribbon in a school arts fair, Janice was hooked. She followed up that early success with a more commercial piece in the sixth grade… “Why My Mom Loves To Drink Coke”. No advance for that one, but she won a six-pack of Coke… remember those great little bottles?

In junior high Ja
More about Janice Maynard...

Men Of Wolff Mountain (6 books)
  • Into His Private Domain (Men Of Wolff Mountain #1)
  • A Touch of Persuasion (Men Of Wolff Mountain #2)
  • Impossible to Resist (The Men of Wolff Mountain, #3)
  • All Grown Up (Men Of Wolff Mountain #5)
  • Taming the Lone Wolff (Men Of Wolff Mountain #6)
A Very Tempting Texan (Texas Cattleman’s Club: A Missing Mogul, #1) Hot Mail Into His Private Domain (Men Of Wolff Mountain #1) Impossible to Resist (The Men of Wolff Mountain, #3) The Untameable Texan (Texas Cattleman's Club: After the Storm)