Start by marking “Alligators All Around” as Want to Read:
Alligators All Around

Alligators All Around (Nutshell Library)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,688 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
An alligator jamboree, with all the letters—A through Z.
Published November 28th 1962 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Alligators All Around, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alligators All Around

Ronyell
Alligators

“Alligators All Around” is apart of the popular Nutshell Library by Maurice Sendak and it details a family of alligators showing the audience about learning the alphabet through various humorous phrases. “Alligators All Around” is a brilliant book about teaching the alphabet in a creative way that children will love for many years.

Maurice Sendak had out done himself in this clever book about learning the alphabet through creative phrases. Maurice Sendak comes up with some creative and hilarious
Sierra Salyards
Feb 14, 2016 Sierra Salyards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Alligators All Around
Author: Maurice Sendak
Genre: ABC Book
Theme(s): alphabet, animals, alliteration
Opening line/sentence: (“Alligators all around, Bursting balloons, Catching colds…”)
Brief Book Summary: (Alligators All Around takes readers on a journey through a day in the life of an alligator, using the ABCs to describe things that an alligator might do. The alligators do lots of silly activities, such as juggle jellybeans, order oatmeal, and wear wigs. Much like Sendak’s other books, A
Christa Parks
Oct 13, 2015 Christa Parks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alligators All Around is an ABC book that follows a family of alligators through the funny and sometimes weird things that they do. While you are learning about this family of alligators you are learning about the letters of the alphabet. I first thought the book would just start with the alligators and the letter A and then use different animals with the other letters, as that is how most ABC books work. However, Sendak manages to create a cohesive story with the alphabet by using the same fami ...more
Vivek Tejuja
Feb 19, 2015 Vivek Tejuja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Alligators all around” by Maurice Sendak is a book that will make you smile and make you feel so good about the world around you. It is a book that makes you see things differently. The book is an alphabet book but all about alligators and their day-to-day life. It is most charming and you cannot help but swoon over the family of alligators and their quirks.

“Alligators all around” is an alphabet book that teaches a lot. It is all about what alligators do and they are adorable if I might say so
Maya Watts
Apr 30, 2014 Maya Watts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Maurice’s final edition to this collection, he wrote an illustrated the alphabet book Alligators All Around. The book personifies alligators and the lives they live. Each letter is on a different page. Each letter is used to describe something that the alligators do just like human. The text is at the bottom of the page. The letter is that correlates with each page is very large and in both upper and lowercase. In this book the colors are minimal again but he chooses to highlights the green. ...more
May 22, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids learning the alphabet
Shelves: picture-books
I adore this book. I used to listen to a record (yes, record) of Carole King's musical adaptations of this and other Maurice Sendak books and I love, love, love them. Naturally this book takes me back to the days of records and not to mention Wonder Woman pajamas.
Beth
Jun 04, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! If you enjoy a good ABC story and the art of Maurice Sendek how can you go wrong with this one! The alligators in the title are talso the actors bringing the alphabet to life.
Emma
Mar 20, 2015 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-2015
Alligators All Around is another ABC book. The alliteration is cute but sometimes rather contrived. What 2-3 year old knows what "quarrelsome" means? Not that I mind teaching my child new vocabulary, it just seems kind of silly to me.

The other letters I had an issue with:
F "forever fooling" uh what? what does that even mean?
M "making macaroni" In the illustration mama alligator is CLEARLY not making macaroni.
O "ordering oatmeal" Alligators don't eat oatmeal! Plus who orders oatmeal at a restaur
Kelsey Hoban
This is an alphabet children’s book about an alligator going through the letters A to Z to help readers learn. This is another great book for a younger classroom. It will help them learn the alphabet and a lot of words that go with it. This Maurice Sendak book is another classic that will brighten any young learners day through the fun and silly alligator going through the alphabet. This would be a really good book for a kindergarten classroom, although it is very simple, some students will need ...more
Madison Godfrey
Alligators All Around is an alphabet children’s book about an alligator going through the letters A to Z to help readers learn. This is another great book for a younger classroom. It will help them learn the alphabet and a lot of words that go with it. This is a fun book to involve the whole classroom and get them excited about reading. I thought this would be a great book for students around the age of 4 to 6 years old because that's the age where they are normally learning to read and learn th ...more
Gabriela
One of the few Maurice Sendek works I didn't read/watch as a child and maybe that's probably why I didn't love it so much. It does deliver, as the title promises alligators all around. There are a lot of alligators in this book. 26+ alligators which is a far sight more alligators in any other book I can think of. Good on Maurice for providing us with a decent amount of alligators.
Sarah Ashburn
This book is all about alligators. It uses the letters of the alphabet to describe what the alligators are doing. When it uses the letter of the alphabet the following words also begin with that letter. This book uses the phonemic awareness skill of segmentation. It uses first sound isolation by all the words starting with the same letter as previously stated.
Andd Becker
Charming drawings of Alligator Daddy, Alligator Mama, and Alligator Boy are almost timeless, but not quite. Reason: "Indian" nomenclature is outmoded.
Mileigh Rabun
This book contains vintage illustrations of alligators. The alligators walk the reader through the alphabet. I like this for an ABC book.
Aysheh M
Jan 16, 2015 Aysheh M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a cute story to read and even had cuter characters. It was all about the A-Z alphabets.
Duane
Jul 29, 2014 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great to share with my kids after showing them "I'm Really Rosie" video.
Christy
Nov 23, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘An alligator jamboree, with all the letters ' A through Z.'
Maxwell
Kumon Level 6A Reader. I confess, we love the youtube video version.
Jojo
Jan 15, 2015 Jojo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learn about letters with zany alligators!
Alison Slack
Language Feature: alliteration/alphabet
Rachel
Classic ABC book.
Chelsea
Dec 02, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alphabet, fluency
This is a Circular Story that starts will the letter A: “Alligators all around”, and continues all the way through the alphabet until it ends with “Alligators all around” once more. Each letter has a mnemonic word to connect with the letter. For example: “Bursting Balloons”, “Catching Cold”, and “Doing Dishes”. This book is a fun and catchy way to introduce the alphabet, and help the students have a better phonemic awareness of each letter. Maybe even using hand motions to act out the alligators ...more
Bree
V - vain
T - tantrums
Mahinn
Feb 12, 2015 Mahinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give yourself 5 minutes to read this and feel like hugging everything in sight.
Beverly Kennett
Each letter is represented with a picture corresponding to the two or three word phrase describing what the alligators are doing. I liked the fact that the words need some thinking, a beginning reader cannot read them all by guessing from the picture alone. He must use decoding. I didn't like the "I" page, "imitating indians," though. The alligators are even wearing headdresses, holding a tomohawk and smoking a peacepipe. Stereotypical and not politically correct.
Nicholas
Jul 07, 2010 Nicholas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Author/Illustrator study)

This is a fairly good alphabet book for young readers. Each letter of the alphabet is associated with actions (depicted by alligators) starting with the same letter. It could also be used as a study of rhyme and alliteration.

Note for teachers: This if one of four books in the Nutshell Library by Maurice Sendak. Because it was written in the 1960s, some language used is no longer politically correct (" I is for Indian" for example)
jacky
Aug 28, 2012 jacky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for books with alligators as part of letter A week with Natalie. Maurice Sendak was something I had to check out. I was quite happy with this book. While hoping for an actual story, I really liked that this alphabet featured the alligators throughout and that it consistently used alliteration throughout. I felt that the actions and descriptions, even though so short, actually developed character of the alligators to some degree.
Timothy Hinkle
Interesting that so many people get upset about I, which is for "imitating Indians," while no one seems bothered that P is for "pushing people". The appearance of an activity in this book hardly qualifies as an endorsement of the same. Sometimes alligators (and people, too) do things that perhaps they shouldn't. This alphabet seems particularly amusing to me as all of the entries in it are eminently relatable.
Paul  Hankins
Can't miss, especially with the attention Sendek has received of late for his interviews with Stephen Colbert. Pair this one up with the segment from the animated classic featuring Carol King, REALLY ROSIE AND THE CHICKEN SOUP KIDS. I have this on VHS in Room 407 and don't think for a second that we won't be visiting this during our ABCs of Reading and Writing project later this year.
Paula
Oct 18, 2009 Paula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This particular book is taken from a larger work by Mr. Sendak called Really Rosie. Really Rosie is also a musical play for children and "Alligators All Around" is (in my opinion) the best song in the play. If you have a little one and you are sick of the regular "ABC" song, download this one on your iPod. I love singing it myself, and have a blast teaching it to children!
  • A Hole is to Dig
  • The Hidden Alphabet
  • Sheila Rae, the Brave
  • Over in the Meadow
  • A Is for Angry: An Animal and Adjective Alphabet
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal
More about Maurice Sendak...

Nutshell Library (4 books)
  • Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue