Alligators All Around

An alligator
jamboree,
with all
A through Z.
Published November 28th 1962 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1962)

Ronyell
Alligators

“Alligators All Around” is apart of the popular Nutshell Library by Maurice Sendak and it details a family of alligators showing the audience about learning the alphabet through various humorous phrases. “Alligators All Around” is a brilliant book about teaching the alphabet in a creative way that children will love for many years.

Maurice Sendak had out done himself in this clever book about learning the alphabet through creative phrases. Maurice Sendak comes up with some creative and hilarious...more
Maya Watts
In Maurice’s final edition to this collection, he wrote an illustrated the alphabet book Alligators All Around. The book personifies alligators and the lives they live. Each letter is on a different page. Each letter is used to describe something that the alligators do just like human. The text is at the bottom of the page. The letter is that correlates with each page is very large and in both upper and lowercase. In this book the colors are minimal again but he chooses to highlights the green....more
May 22, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids learning the alphabet
Shelves: childrens
I adore this book. I used to listen to a record (yes, record) of Carole King's musical adaptations of this and other Maurice Sendak books and I love, love, love them. Naturally this book takes me back to the days of records and not to mention Wonder Woman pajamas.
Beth
Love this book! If you enjoy a good ABC story and the art of Maurice Sendek how can you go wrong with this one! The alligators in the title are talso the actors bringing the alphabet to life.
Kelsey Hoban
This is an alphabet children’s book about an alligator going through the letters A to Z to help readers learn. This is another great book for a younger classroom. It will help them learn the alphabet and a lot of words that go with it. This Maurice Sendak book is another classic that will brighten any young learners day through the fun and silly alligator going through the alphabet. This would be a really good book for a kindergarten classroom, although it is very simple, some students will need...more
Madison Godfrey
Alligators All Around is an alphabet children’s book about an alligator going through the letters A to Z to help readers learn. This is another great book for a younger classroom. It will help them learn the alphabet and a lot of words that go with it. This is a fun book to involve the whole classroom and get them excited about reading. I thought this would be a great book for students around the age of 4 to 6 years old because that's the age where they are normally learning to read and learn th...more
Susan
A delightful book that follows the alligator family on their antics and activities, alphabetically. I enjoyed how the family is to together in this little book.

This book provides a great way for children to learn the alphabet, in a much more interesting way than many more mainstream sources provide.
Maxwell
Kumon Level 6A Reader. I confess, we love the youtube video version.
Alison Slack
Language Feature: alliteration/alphabet
Chelsea
This is a Circular Story that starts will the letter A: “Alligators all around”, and continues all the way through the alphabet until it ends with “Alligators all around” once more. Each letter has a mnemonic word to connect with the letter. For example: “Bursting Balloons”, “Catching Cold”, and “Doing Dishes”. This book is a fun and catchy way to introduce the alphabet, and help the students have a better phonemic awareness of each letter. Maybe even using hand motions to act out the alligators...more
Bree
S - spoiled
V - vain
T - tantrums
Beverly Kennett
Each letter is represented with a picture corresponding to the two or three word phrase describing what the alligators are doing. I liked the fact that the words need some thinking, a beginning reader cannot read them all by guessing from the picture alone. He must use decoding. I didn't like the "I" page, "imitating indians," though. The alligators are even wearing headdresses, holding a tomohawk and smoking a peacepipe. Stereotypical and not politically correct.
Nicholas
(Author/Illustrator study)

This is a fairly good alphabet book for young readers. Each letter of the alphabet is associated with actions (depicted by alligators) starting with the same letter. It could also be used as a study of rhyme and alliteration.

Note for teachers: This if one of four books in the Nutshell Library by Maurice Sendak. Because it was written in the 1960s, some language used is no longer politically correct (" I is for Indian" for example)
Arielle
How have I not read this one before? I've read all the others in The Nutshell Library but somehow this one had escaped me. I need to buy the miniature box set for the bathroom. My friend Kristen in Minneapolis had a collection of miniature books that she kept in the bathroom, including The Nutshell Library. Her little girls said the books were small so the fairies could read them. I loved the idea that they believed fairies came to their bathroom to read books :)
jacky
I was looking for books with alligators as part of letter A week with Natalie. Maurice Sendak was something I had to check out. I was quite happy with this book. While hoping for an actual story, I really liked that this alphabet featured the alligators throughout and that it consistently used alliteration throughout. I felt that the actions and descriptions, even though so short, actually developed character of the alligators to some degree.
Timothy Hinkle
Interesting that so many people get upset about I, which is for "imitating Indians," while no one seems bothered that P is for "pushing people". The appearance of an activity in this book hardly qualifies as an endorsement of the same. Sometimes alligators (and people, too) do things that perhaps they shouldn't. This alphabet seems particularly amusing to me as all of the entries in it are eminently relatable.
Paul  Hankins
Can't miss, especially with the attention Sendek has received of late for his interviews with Stephen Colbert. Pair this one up with the segment from the animated classic featuring Carol King, REALLY ROSIE AND THE CHICKEN SOUP KIDS. I have this on VHS in Room 407 and don't think for a second that we won't be visiting this during our ABCs of Reading and Writing project later this year.
Paula
This particular book is taken from a larger work by Mr. Sendak called Really Rosie. Really Rosie is also a musical play for children and "Alligators All Around" is (in my opinion) the best song in the play. If you have a little one and you are sick of the regular "ABC" song, download this one on your iPod. I love singing it myself, and have a blast teaching it to children!
Savannah
I liked how this story took a letter and described the scene in two (mostly two) to three sentences using only the same letter.
For example, 'A' is A alligators all around, B bursting balloons, C catching colds, etc I liked reading the first word while holding off the second for a moment to see if my son could guess what the second or third word was based off the pictures.
Sara
The little guy loves consonance, Zippity Zounds he does. Really, any book that goes in the order of the alphabet--"is it cuz of that song?"--will very likely be one of A.'s favorites. I would write more but I'm also listening to an episode of "Locked up Abroad" right now on the National Geographic Channel and it's pretty distracting.
Terri
Yet another book in Sendak's Nutshell Collection that Carole King set to music in Really Rosie. What a wonderful, fun way to learn the alphabet. I used it with my own children and kindergarteners year after year. I even used it as a writing model with third graders to write their own alliterative alphabet tales. Sendak is a genius!
Shala Howell
I like this alphabet fairly well -- although the entries from N to Q are increasingly ill-tempered, I can always blame that on the alligator not taking his nap at N. :) It's too long for my daughter right now, but maybe when she's older. If I were picking an alphabet out at the store, I'd go with Dr. Seuss's.
Jaime Contreras
I read this to both my daughters who did not like it. I sold the book and never read it to my third child. This was a decent children's book but it lacked the magic of Mr. Sendak's classic, Where The Wild Things Are. This was the last book that I read to my son.

He now reads on his own.
Rob
So I found this totally cool first edition of this book in my local thrift store for a quarter, and I bought it. Sure it is an ex-library book, but it is an ex-library book from my elementary school. I thought that was pretty neat. The book itself was also pretty neat.
Bunnyjadwiga
I adore this book. My five year old is lukewarm about it.
Ali
F is for fooling. G is for giggles. In this primer a family of alligators take readers through the ABCs. Maurice Sendak's little book is charming, and even though it's dated, it conveys the warmth and humor little ones desire always.
Candice
Have been revisiting this book with my youngest child and we adore it. He loves the silliness. I love the illustrations and the refreshing feel of a nontraditional alphabet book. One of our favorites.
Justyn Rampa
This book teaches children the alphabet through a series of wacky situations involving a family of alligators. The illustrations are pretty funny at times as well as the sentences tied to the letters.
  • What Do You Say, Dear?
  • Orangutan Tongs: Poems to Tangle Your Tongue
  • Crictor
  • Sheila Rae, the Brave
  • On Market Street
  • No Fighting, No Biting!
  • The Alphabet Tree
Maurice Bernard Sendak is an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wal...more
More about Maurice Sendak...
Where the Wild Things Are Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months In the Night Kitchen Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue Outside Over There