Start by marking “Falling Awake” as Want to Read:
Falling Awake

Falling Awake

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,295 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
The phenomenally popular bestselling author of Light in Shadow returns with a riveting tale of intrigue and intimacy that questions whether dreams can be trusted . . .

A red scarf. A roller coaster. A tidal wave of blood . . .Isabel Wright spends her days at the Belvedere Center for Sleep Research analyzing the dreams of others. Dr. Martin Belvedere, a pioneer in the fiel
Published November 18th 2004 by Putnam Adult (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Falling Awake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Awake

Brett
Nov 17, 2010 Brett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Finished "Falling Awake" by Jayne Ann Krentz. I really did not like this one, for a lot of reasons.

First and foremost, it needed another editor to clean up the language and events. There was no normal dialogue among the characters. Everything seemed a little too scripted, too wooden, including the fully-qualified names for things, such as the Belvedere Center for Sleep Research. I swear if the name if the place were "The Honolulu Branch of the Pinkleton/Belvedere University Hospital Center for
Alicja
May 10, 2016 Alicja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything is like in Krentz's books should be: a mysterious and dangerous Hero, enterprising and intelligent heroine , mystery and a little magic . And the feeling . Mature , evolving . Awaited and hot.
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 2005
Length: 529 pages (Large Print)
Setting: Contemporary, California.
Sex: Explicit. Reasonably frequent.
Paranormalish - Lucid dreaming and dream reading.
Hero: Entrepeneur and gov. agent investigator who uses lucid dreaming.
Heroine: Interprets Lucid Dreams.

An interesting idea that didn't quite make it.

It felt like Krentz wanted to explore an idea she had a few years ago and didn't want to waste her research or the manuscript that was stashed in a bottom dr
Mojca
The Belvedere Center for Sleep Research caters to the demands of two mysterious clients with the ability of lucid dreaming - the state where the dreamer knows he/she is dreaming and can alter the dreamscape to their own wishes.

Isabel Wright, herself a Level Five (the highest level of lucid dreaming) is the one in charge of interpreting their dreams. She is so intrigued by the Client Number Two that the man eventually starts appearing in her dreams. She dubs him Dream Man.

Enter Ellis Cutler, Clie
Kimberly
Feb 25, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love the Arcane Series from JAK then you will love this book too. It almost seems like this is a early writing that was maybe the start of the Arcane family. Honestly with a name change it could easily have been one of the books in the series.

Isabel is a dream analyst but not what we normally think of when we think about our dreams. This is not the "this symbol means this" type of answers. This goes much deeper. She works for a man who believes she can do this but is hiding her talents u
Robin
Apr 05, 2014 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was cheesy, simple and almost a waste of time to read. I thought it had potential during the part where it explains dream analysis and psychic dreaming to solve crimes. But honestly everything that was supposed to be "Top Secret" was spread around candidly and for as few of people as there was supposed to be who were "Level 5 Lucid Dreamers", they were sure popping up everywhere, seemed like everyone was by the end of the book. There was a lot of oh brother kind of stuff from the dark ...more
Shelly
Sep 17, 2015 Shelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of good things about this book. The characters were probably the best part. They we really well developed and I liked them both. Some aspects of the book I didn't fully understand at first, like the Level 5 dreaming. But by the end, I had a clearer understanding of it.
Carol Stanley-Snow
It's been a long time since i read Janyne Krentz and now i wonder why????

This book has it all...romance, mystery, intrigue, murder and best of all...an unexpected happy ending.

You must read to see what i mean...enjoy!
R.G.
Oct 15, 2011 R.G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved the whole theories on dreaming it in itself was an interesting subject and of course the twist and turns along the way... definitely didn't end the way i thought it was... and of course it was a beautiful romance... i love people falling in love... it's just wonderful
Susanne Leist
May 09, 2016 Susanne Leist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I'm keeping it in my library. I have to limit the books I keep.
The story revolves around the Belvedere Center for Sleep Research. Isabel Wright was hired by Dr. Martin Belvedere to work on a few select clients' dreams. The dreams and the clients are kept secret. After the doctor dies, his son takes over and fires Isabel.
Isabel soon finds out who mystery client number two is. He works for a secret government agency. Ellis Cutler is able to manipulate his dreams. He has lucid dr
Micii
Apr 01, 2014 Micii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm thrilled! :) The book is masterful, the characters are fine, but the plot and story are fantastic. Ellis and Isabel, their story even makes me dream of my perfect man. (Somehow I have a hunch that it could be Vincent Scargill). ^^
pianogal
Sep 20, 2007 pianogal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
This is my all-time favorite Krentz book. If you've never read it - read it. I'm serious. I loved the plot, I liked the characters. It's just a good book. If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would.
Mimna
Aug 13, 2015 Mimna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
เราวาเราคอนขางจะมีปัญหาเวลาอานงานของ JAK คะ
เลมนีคืออานนานมาก และไมจบดวย ไมดึงดูดเลยอะ คอนไปทางเบือมากดวยซำ
อานมาไดเกือบครึงเลมเลยตัดใจเลิกอานดีกวา ไมไหวจริงๆ
Leslie Jane Fahrney
Aug 27, 2014 Leslie Jane Fahrney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A good JAK romance, with an Hero and Heroine I enjoyed. Ellis Cutler, though a typical hero, strong, and doesn't take much gruff from anyone, will listen to Isabel Wright and follow some of her suggestions both concerning the mystery they are solving, and his personal life/habits. And Isabel is strong in her own right, seeing the good in most people and trying to help. She is a tad single-minded about her dream house, spending money on furniture before she has her house, but the quirks make her ...more
Mary
Dec 09, 2009 Mary rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mary by: noone
I read this book back in February 2009, but I forgot to put in my review. It's not a bad book but not a fast read at all. If anything I found it quite boring. Not much action but mostly the characters's emotions.

The book deals with lucid dream analysis. Isabel Wright, as the main protagonist of the book, is a lucid dream analyst. She is working for the Belvedere center for Sleep Research when her boss Dr. Martin Belvedere is found dead in his office. When Randolph Belvedere, Dr. Belvedere's son
Jessi
Apr 12, 2010 Jessi rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Isabel Wainwright has just been fired. She worked for a dream lab as a Level 5 extreme dream analysis. Her former boss had postulated that there were five levels of dreaming with very few people who are able to reach the fifth level. So far, Isabel is the only analyst they know of. There is an unnamed government agency who has been using Level Five dreamers to solve particularly nasty crimes. Isabel then interprets their more enigmatic dreams.
But her boss has died and his son fires Isabel. She
bookczuk
Listened to this a while ago on audiobook-- don't remember it too distinctly, except that it was a light diversion for a car trip. I have an interest in lucid dreaming, and maybe that's why I picked this up at goodwill...or it could be that someone had just raved about this author and I figured this was a way to check her out. Apparently she also writes under another name, but I can't remember what.

From the Publisher

A red scarf. A roller coaster. A tidal wave of blood.

Isabel Wright spends her d
Maria
Ms. Krentz can take an odd subject like dream research, give it an unrealistic slant like level 5 extreme dreaming, and still weave a wonderful story. Her characters, Ellis Cutler and Isobel Wright, are, as usual, terrific, while the action is fast-paced and builds to interesting conclusions as Ms. Krentz ties up all the loose ends. There are lots of minor characters to fill out the story-line, which I always enjoy.
1/29/16: I have now read this book six times. The Level 5 extreme dreaming seems
Lisa
Mar 20, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great audio book. If you have read any of my previous audio book reviews you will know that the read makes or breaks an audio book for me and this reader, Laurel Merlingtion, was wonderful. She got into the story with different voices and inflections for different characters. It helps to keep it interesting and keep the story moving.

I really enjoyed this story because I never able to quite pin the story down. Every time I though that I had figured a piece of it out, something changed an
Sheryl Tribble
Mar 25, 2012 Sheryl Tribble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the one-star reviews called this book "dorky", and another (positive) review recommended you "think of it as a comic book". Both very true, and probably half the reason I love Krentz. Half her heroes and most of her heroines were probably dismissed by the Cool Kids as dorks, and her plots tend toward over-the-top and unlikely, just like comics. Her stuff also tends to be warm, loving, family-oriented (although with a very broad definition of "family"), and somewhat naive. You always know ...more
Ns
Sep 19, 2010 Ns rated it liked it
Falling Awake unfolded very much like a dream: disorienting and confusing at first, but in stages gave way to a more alert and intriguing story. The result was a plausible and intelligent plot even though it alludes to a bit of the supernatural.

The story centers around lucid Level Five dreamers, who are extreme dreamers with the ability to shift, alter and to an extent control their dreams. For Isabel Wright, all this means for her is a job. A Level Five dreamer herself, she is a dream analyst
Sandra
I enjoyed this stand alone book.

The MCs were very likable, the bad guys were obnoxious, the story was good. What more do you want? LOL

The story revolves around Lucid Dreaming, and what your tax dollars are really doing. A secret govt bureau solves crime by getting its agents to dream Level 5 Lucid Dreams, and when they can't interpret them they request analysis from Isabel Wright. Isabel doesn't know for sure that she is analysing govt dreams but has pretty much worked it out.

Suddenly, her boss
Diana Nagy
Jayne Ann Krentz is an excellent author and her writing in Falling Awake is a great emphasis on that fact. This story is a great one and a book that will keep you engaged throughout. Its so amazing that Isabel and Ellis Cutler interact and get along in the story and the ending is beautiful. I really love an author who takes the time to explain why a character did something rather than ending with nary an explanation.
Ginger Price
Ellis Cutler & Isabel Wright, both "Level 5 dreamers". Isabel works for Martin Belvedere as an dream interpreter and Ellis is a client. When Belvedere dies, she is hired by Jack Lawson, a competitor who also does dream research. But Belvedere's death is a mystery, and Isabel & Ellis stumble across what he was actually working on with dream analysis and the drugs that were being manufactured.
Betita
Mar 13, 2009 Betita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestado
Já estava a precisar de um livro assim :)
Desta autora li apenas 2 livros "Amor Comprado" e o "Rio Sabe", os quais a autora assina como Amanda Quick.
Como Jayne Ann Krentz ela afasta-se um pouco do tipo de escrita que utiliza nos seus livros mais "românticos", enquanto como Amanda Quick acaba por dar mais prioridade aos detalhes do Romance em si, aqui ela explora o policial, o mistério... mas continua a apimentar um pouco o romance.
Mas falando da história em si, ela gira em torno de uma colecção d
Debbie
Oct 30, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-candy
After the disappointment of Linda Grimes's book I turned to a trusted author. With an assignment and an exam this month I need some brain candy to read and I knew Jayne Ann Krentz wouldn't let me down.

This book is a paranormal detective romance that centres on dreams. Isabel Wright is a level 5 lucid dream analyst - she can analyse the dreams of high level lucid dreamers to interpret the patterns in them. This skill can be used to help solve crimes.

Ellis Cutler (now that's a hero's name that onl
♥ WishfulMiss ♥
In Falling Awake, Isabel and Ellis finally meet face to face and outside their level 5 dreams. LIke typical JAK, this romance revolves around a murder mystery. Falling Awake is nicely balanced between the mystery and the romance. Ellis is a strong lead and although we don't get a lot of back story on him, I liked that JAK gave us just enough to flesh him out.

This couple had a lot more chemistry going for them than others have in the recent past. There was nothing generic or bland about these tw
Debbie Maxwell
Oct 08, 2014 Debbie Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

Truly enjoyed this book. I also love this author. No brainer for me. The characters were multi dementional & it kept my interest to the point that I wanted to read it straight through. I was a bit frustrated when I couldn't! If you like reads that are a little different you'll love this one!
Perth Library
Isabel Wright works as a dream analyst at the Belvedere Center for Dream Research. It's an interesting job made more interesting when one of her anonymous clients becomes her 'dream man.' But when her dream becomes reality, a nightmare ensues. Library user Muriel found Falling Awake by Jayne Ann Krentz, totally spellbinding.
Jessica
"What do you mean, you're on thin ice financially? Are we talking serious debt?"
...
Isabel cleared her throat. "I made some investments."
"Please tell me you didn't do something stupid in the stock market."
"I'm not in the market."
"Did you buy a house?" Tamsyn looked relieved. "That's usually a good investment. I'm sure you'll be able to sell it."
************************
bwhahaha. Oh, for the halcyon days of 2004.

The story is fine. Light, not particularly memorable. The lucid dreaming thing was a li
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Falling Awake (2004) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 01:10PM
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Lie by Moonlight (Vanza, #4)
  • To Tame the Hunter
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...