Start by marking “Inside Out” as Want to Read:
Inside Out

Inside Out

Teased at school about his younger brother, Jonno hopes his life will change when James goes to a school for autistic children. It does, but not in the way he expects.
Published May 1st 1987 by Scholastic (first published May 1985)

Gab McLaren
Feb 26, 2013 Gab McLaren rated it it was amazing
I will admit that I may not gush aloud or share it or own an abused copy of this novel, but it's my favourite book. It probably saved me when I was dealing with Jono's kind of stress to realise that there are some ugly emotions that are worth feeling and okay to feel. The fact that the ending wasn't jjust some happy ending about perseverance and family strength and acceptance was wonderful. It was unsure and sketchy but whole nevertheless because there never really is an ending for families ...more
Amanda
Apr 26, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I remember reading this one several times as a kid and always loving it. It's about a family dealing with their young 4-year-old son, James, who has autism. It's told from the perspective of the older brother, Jonno, who is 11 or 12. There's also a sister, Lizzie, who is 8. It shows how autism affects the entire family and the frustrations (and joy) they encounter.
Erin
Nov 29, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time back in the 80s when it came out. It was the first time I ever heard of autism. Autism was a virtually unknown condition at the time- most people later heard of it the first time from the movie Rainman.
This book is one of Martin's best. Well written, realistic and heart breaking. James is typical of autistic kids in that he was normal up until age two and then changed. His family has to learn to deal with his condition and try to help him function. Meanwhile,
Daniel
Oct 26, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it
A touching book about trying to fit in and accepting people where they are. I've read it several times now!
Liz
Sep 15, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
While Jonno and his family battle life with an autistic four-year-old, Jonno finds ways to make money and winds up helping his brother.
Wisty
Sep 03, 2014 Wisty rated it really liked it
It game back to me suddenly that I read this! That was back when I tried to read every Ann M. Martin book I could get my hands on!
Gina
Feb 13, 2015 Gina rated it liked it
Pretty good in showing some of the stresses that a family can have with an autistic child, but also with how it is to not feel cool.
Norma DiPietro
Norma DiPietro rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Melanie Raye
revisiting this book was really special :)
Monica Marie
Monica Marie rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2011
Cori
Cori rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2011
Jay
Jay rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Kristen Jaques
Kristen Jaques rated it it was ok
Oct 11, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Kim Hufford
Kim Hufford rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Teri
Teri rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2007
Kathleen E. Miller
Kathleen E. Miller rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Tara Stone
Tara Stone rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2009
karen
karen rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2008
Erikka
Erikka rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2012
Ninja
Ninja rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2010
Anne
Jan 15, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing
the book that started my obsession with autism.
Stacey Clark
Stacey Clark rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Aimee
Aimee rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2011
Kieran
Kieran rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Dec 02, 2012
Cws
JAR4 Mar
Vincent Fanelli
Vincent Fanelli rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016

More about Ann M. Martin...