Start by marking “All the Mowgli Stories” as Want to Read:
All the Mowgli Stories

All the Mowgli Stories

Stories from "The Jungle Book" and from "The Second Jungle Book" that tell the story of Mowgli and his animal friends.
Published October 25th 1984 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about All the Mowgli Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Mowgli Stories

Melody
Nov 01, 2015 Melody rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
11/1/2015
Yes. This is home. This is where I learned the things I most deeply believe. This is the prose I clutch in extremis. This is the story that tells me how to live when I lose my way. Four copies, now, as I found a delightful one with woodcuts that speak to me.

6/28/2014
I come to this when I am weary, when I am sad, when I am disheartened. Or when I'm tired and lonely. Or any time at all. This is my bible, this is my text, this is the book that I can't live without. This is the book where
Saoirse Sterling
My version of this book comes from 1948 and is entitled The Mowgli Stories, taking stories from The Jungle Book, The Second Jungle Book and Many Inventions.

It is a wonderful collection of stories concerning Mowgli, the young Indian boy who was raised by wolves. I have never read the book before, or even thought about it much, and was always fairly content with that Disney film.

The writing is sublime: a children's book written in the style as if for adults, as so many of those old Classic childre
Wilf
Dec 03, 2011 Wilf rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Older Children & Adults
Recommended to Wilf by: Relatives
Shelves: classics
This has a special place in my heart as - more than any other book - it was where I learnt to read properly as a child. It is a quite magical set of stories, written by one of England's finest writers. It is, for the most part, aimed at children but Kipling never talks down to his readers. Returning to it many times in adulthood I still find the stories retain all their appeal; they have a haunting beauty - quite dark at times - which lingers long in one's memory.
If you do come new to Mowgli, pl
FredTownWard
Sep 19, 2012 FredTownWard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
If You Only Know Mowgli from the Movies or the Jungle Books, You Owe Yourself this Book,

That's because the movies mostly either Disneyfied the stories into kids' films or turned Mowgli into yet another Tarzan while the Jungle Books left out the final Mowgli story "In the Rukh", a story of Mowgli as a grown man. Interestingly, though chronologically the last Mowgli story, "In the Rukh" was the earliest written; the later written but chronologically earlier stories tell how Mowgli got to that poin
Tiffany
Feb 08, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is delightful! It reminded me of dark mornings before school, sitting in my grandfather's study reading "The Swiss Family Robinson" by lamplight. Here is a story of a man raised by wolves, who was bought into the Pack by a panther for the price of a bull newly slain and schooled by a bear in the Jungle Law; who befriended a great python, stared down a cobra, ran the Red Dog out of his jungle by the hundreds and slew the beast Shere Kan, the Lame One, Lungri. Here is the story of a man ...more
Elizabeth R.
May 28, 2012 Elizabeth R. rated it it was amazing
This is the only Mowgli stories book that I have found that includes "In the Rukh," a story about him as an adult.

Seriously, if your only experience of Mowgli is "Mowgli's Brothers" or, worse, the Disney version, you are missing out. The Jungle Books are also great for book collectors, as they have been reprinted many times, often with lovely illustrations. But do read them.
Suzy
Jul 30, 2011 Suzy rated it really liked it
Altogether, a good book. Rudyard Kipling's style took a while to get used to, but I really enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend it to my friends.
cool breeze
May 15, 2016 cool breeze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
It was a delight to read Kipling's complete Mowgli stories in chronological order, and the prefatory essays and annotations added greatly to the enjoyment. The annotations are interesting and have some dry humor, some intentional and some less so, such as the annotators squirming over the homoeroticism in certain passages. The annotations were also very scholarly - too scholarly, in fact, for my knowledge of the subject matter, even after some web searching (I am still baffled by notes 110 and ...more
Kathleen
Apr 06, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Just finished re-reading a well-loved 1948 paperback edition and was excited to see that this particular compilation is still available (sent for a copy because the one I have is totally hashed).

Loved these stories when I read them as a child (my father gave me this copy because he'd enjoyed it so much), and I have loved reading them again.

And I shudder at the way Disney depicted (twisted) some of the characters in these stories. Baloo had way too much dignity to fit the way the cartoon showed h
Lbaker
Apr 27, 2012 Lbaker rated it really liked it
What I love about classic British youth books is that the language is not simplified, they expected children to learn from reading and use beautiful language.

I have read the Jungle Book and Kim, but this combination of just Mowgli Stories was very good, and it was fun rediscovering the characters. I still think his "brother" wolves had incredibly long lives, as did Bagheera and Baloo.

It was a nice way to remember Kipling's stories, and I now have a craving to re-read the Just So stories, especi
Daysy Martinez
Oct 31, 2013 Daysy Martinez rated it really liked it
"All The Mowgli Stories" written by Rudyard Kipling was an interesting read. It was about a little Indian boy named Mowgli, who is saved by a family of wolves from being eaten by a tiger. I liked how every chapter something new was introduced, this helped keep the book interesting. The book is about all of Mowgli's adventures in the forest. This book was appropriate for all ages. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves good stories.
Marilyn
Jan 08, 2013 Marilyn rated it liked it
While not truly a classic, All The Mowgli Stories has a classical style.
It is clearly written to a more youthful audience as well, but is intriguing for an older one.
In general, good stories, and good writing.
Brandy
Aug 11, 2016 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Damn you, Jungle Book! I am a grown woman and you still make me cry. I love this book. Life can be so complicated, but this brings me back to my spirit. I will read this again and again, and now to my little girl too.
Karen
Jun 02, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
Another favorite of mine when I was a kid. I just reread it again, and despite his politics, I still think Kipling is a wonderful writer.
Yi
May 21, 2008 Yi rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this sooner. Kipling didn't take personification that far and was convincing. Well, growing up in a pack of wolves wouldn't be so bad after all. :)
The story ended too soon for me.
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2008
BookeWyrm
BookeWyrm rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Nofun
Nofun rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Stuart Stratmann
Stuart Stratmann rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Damian Cummings
Damian Cummings rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Mary Ann
Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013
Eileen
Eileen rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Byron Bray
Byron Bray rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Ms. L
Ms. L rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2013
S
S rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2011
James Hoegerl
James Hoegerl rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Ringa
Ringa rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Jasmyn
Jasmyn rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
MD SAM
Jul 11, 2016 MD SAM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: umar
nice adventure
Zachary
Zachary rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • The Rescuers (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)
  • Little Rabbit Foo Foo
  • The Best of Cordwainer Smith
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • The Tales of Olga Da Polga
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts, Vol. 3 (Alice in the Country of Hearts, #5-6)
  • Uncle Remus Stories
  • Let's Face It, Charlie Brown! (Peanuts Coronet, #9)
  • Appointments at the Ends of the World: Memoirs of a Wildlife Veterinarian
  • Spires of Spirit (Strands, #5)
  • Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Treasury
  • Fear the Fever (Hot Blood, #7)
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • The Crafters (The Crafters, #1)
  • Dark Hours (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #5)
  • Samurai: The Code of the Warrior
Joseph Rudyard Kipling was an English journalist, short-story writer, poet, and novelist.

Kipling's works of fiction include The Jungle Book (1894), Kim (1901), and many short stories, including "The Man Who Would Be King" (1888). His poems include "Mandalay" (1890), "Gunga Din" (1890), "The Gods of the Copybook Headings" (1919), "The White Man's Burden" (1899), and "If—" (1910). He is regarded as
More about Rudyard Kipling...