Start by marking “It's Only Stanley” as Want to Read:
It's Only Stanley

It's Only Stanley

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,050 Ratings  ·  224 Reviews
Fans of Jon Klassen and Oliver Jeffers will love this mischievously funny read-aloud from award-winning author/illustrator Jon Agee

Mysterious noises keep waking up the Wimbledon family. "That's very odd," says Mr. Wimbledon each time, but when he returns from checking on the sounds, he's always reassuring: "It's only Stanley; he's fixing the oil tank." "It's only Stanley;
Published March 17th 2015 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about It's Only Stanley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Only Stanley

Jason
Mar 23, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
See, this is the thing. I always say I can't stand rhyming books, but then something like this comes along and it's delightful. It's because I don't like BAD rhyming children's books, which most of them are.
Danielle
Mar 26, 2016 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
So much fun and great page turns. The cat is my favorite part. :)
Emma
Jun 11, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
Enjoy your upside-down crashed house family! I'm late for a hot date!
B. Morya
Aug 29, 2016 B. Morya rated it it was amazing
A must for anyone who knows dogs lead secret lives while humans sleep.
Sara Bland
Apr 24, 2015 Sara Bland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love this book! The book is written all in verse. The cute rhyming really keeps the book flowing. Just about every other page, poor Stanley has woken up his family while he has been trying to "fix" things around the house. The father keeps getting up but finding that it is only Stanley. That is, until the final KAPOW that wakes them all. The ending is the most adorable of any of the children's books I've read thus far. I would definitely recommend this for children K-2.
Margaux
Jul 08, 2015 Margaux rated it it was amazing
A delightful read about a family who gets woken up every hour by strange sounds. "It's only Stanley" says dad, even though he's making stew, fixing the TV, and repairing the oil tank. The cat suffers, the family suffers, and Stanley is the most helpful dog, with his own goals at the end of the book. Truly adorable. The verse-style story would make for a great read-aloud for preschool-aged children. Reminiscent of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" in the imagery and sing-songey style.
Julia Erlanger
Feb 12, 2015 Julia Erlanger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Reviewed from an uncorrected proof.

HILARIOUS. Stanley the dog keeps waking up the Wimbledon family throughout the night, until they realize he's doing more than odd chores around the house. It rhymes, it scans, the illustrations are hilarious (kids will love tracking the exploits of the dog, noticing tiny details like the poor cat Max's continuing injuries, and the surprise ending). It's brilliant. I love it. Order it immediately.
Beverly
Nov 16, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it
I thought this book was laugh out loud funny! The family doesn't seem concerned at all the things the dog is doing, only concerned about losing sleep. Until they realize he has turned their house into a rocket ship to the moon. However, one has to wonder how the family and dogs survived without spacesuits on the moon.
Pita-eater
Apr 19, 2015 Pita-eater rated it did not like it
I like the premise of a dog mysteriously tinkering with things around the house. I did not like the bizarre ending -- extremely unsatisfying and it ruined the book for me. The illustrations were okay, but I wish the lines has been a smidge thinner and that maybe one or two more colors were in the palette.
Kristine Hansen
Oct 07, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it
Here is a dog that's not to be trusted. I figured that out early on. The family should have as well....

Cute story, very humorous. I liked the complexity of the pictures as Stanley adjusts the family's household to his own needs. :)
Emily Scheinman
Stanley is on a mission!! The latest by Jon Agee has all the humor you expect plus a surprise ending.
Kristina Jean Lareau
What a fun one from Jon Agee. In his traditional illustration style, this picturebook is full of curves and details accompanied by a fun rhyming narrative that ends with a twist.
Susan
Aug 14, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
My 11 year old niece "saved" my rating of this one, which just goes to show that sometimes you need to try it out with a reader.
Inge
Jun 11, 2015 Inge rated it it was amazing
I cannot stop laughing.
This is ridiculous.
D Sanders
Oct 23, 2016 D Sanders rated it it was amazing
Rhyme, repetition, delicious picture cues that lead to a surprise ending. Fun to read aloud to young students!
Pear
Nov 09, 2016 Pear rated it really liked it
A dog inventor.. truly ridiculous!
Kimberly King
Nov 23, 2016 Kimberly King rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, kids-stuff
Clever dog.
Katie
Dec 02, 2016 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-funny, pb, 2015
Fun to turn the page!
What's Stanley up to now?
Yu Min,
Oct 14, 2016 Yu Min, rated it really liked it
It's only stanley is awesome and weird. The author Jon thinks really amazing story. I cannot imagine the ending of this story. The stanley, really special dog in the world, creates the awesome strategy. Even though the family of Walter feel bother of them . Their family wake up one by one, even all family wake up because Stanley does something. But these things are really weird things. For example, howling at the moon, fixing the oil tank, making catfish stew, fixed their tv, cleared the bathtub ...more
Fazson Chapman
Oct 13, 2016 Fazson Chapman rated it it was amazing
Its Only Stanley I really like this book. I feel its more of an family book and children that has pets can really relate to this because pets are always doing crazy things like chewing homework, or eating shoes, but Stanley is a dog that took the house to the moon. I gave this book five stars because it is a great read also a great family book that a lot of people can relate too.
Shayla Padilla
- When I started to read this book I had no idea what Stanley’s intentions were. Even though the father went to look at what was going on, he was covering for Stanley every time. But I thought the ending was very cute because he took his whole family to what looked like the moon just to be with his lover. I thought at first this was just kind of mysterious because of the illustrations that were given to us.
Dominique Johnson
I loved this book. The humor is what I loved the most. Especially how the family goes on like they are use to the dog doing complex tasks. and although it is so late the father doesn't mind because the dog is " fixing" up the house. The pictures really catch my eye because if you look closely the cat gets the bad end of everything the dog does such as fixing the TV. The cat gets electrocuted. This book was well put together in my opinion
Alison Smolinski
Oct 08, 2016 Alison Smolinski rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very unpredictable, so I enjoyed that aspect of it. I think a child would feel the same way because the book never shows what Stanley actually could be up to till the very ending when the “rocket ship,” which is their house, takes off to the moon. I think it’s funny when the father comes in to check on who’s making the noises and it is always Stanley the dog doing something like messing around with pipes or cleaning the drain and the father plays it off so casually. This ...more
Philip
Nov 23, 2016 Philip rated it really liked it
4.5ish stars.

Great rhymes, fun story, lots of opportunity for informal instruction, wonderfully simple illustrations. Kids love it.

Illustrations: 4.5
Story: 4.5
Cathy
Oct 01, 2016 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It's Only Stanley...making a ton of noise in the middle of the night while hatching genius plots and tinkering like a pup-version of MacGyver. ;) A totally delightful read.
Rosemary Sullivan
Jan 05, 2016 Rosemary Sullivan rated it it was amazing
I was always curious about what my dog Buddy was doing downstairs when I'd hear a commotion at night. I'd stumble into the den, only to find him innocently looking up at me. I never knew what he was up to, because my presence distracted him. Also, he didn't answer my questions, so I just accepted that his midnight zeal would always be a mystery to me. But after reading "It's Only Stanley" by Jon Agee, I wonder anew what inspired his late night ruckuses.

Like Buddy, Stanley is very busy in the we
Missy McConnell
Sep 16, 2016 Missy McConnell rated it really liked it
Right off the bat, the rhyme and rhythm is fantastic. The illustrations are cartooney and simple, I wouldn't call it beautiful art, but they fit the story. In other words, I'm not sure they are meritorious enough to stand on their own, but they are fun. I like to look at what the cat is doing in each page; this is a good element for kids to play around with. The onomatopoeia are fantastic (clank clank clank, blub blub blub) and I like how more and more of the family gather in bed after each of ...more
Tasha
Dec 05, 2015 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Something odd is happening tonight in the Wimbledon house. There are mysterious noises. The first noise is Stanley the dog howling at the moon. But then new noises start. The clanking noise is Stanley fixing the oil tank in the basement. A little later, the funky smell that makes the cat ill turns out to be Stanley cooking catfish stew in the kitchen. The buzzing noise is Stanley fixing the family's old TV in the living room. Splashing noises are Stanley fixing the plumbing. Each noise wakes up ...more
Heather
Apr 13, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
I hadn't heard of this rhyming picture book, but when I saw it at the library, the front cover made me want to pick it up: a solid-looking dog on a ladder, adjusting a mysterious contraption made of pots and pans and colanders and whisks and wires, in front of an old TV that seems to be showing a staticky picture of a poodle. How could I not be intrigued?

The book opens with Wilma and Walter Wimbledon being woken up by a weird noise. Walter goes and checks it out, and comes back to say it's just
Lauren Paolucci
I can definitely see why children would like this book. I like how their are rhyming schemes throughout this whole book. It's an adorable unrealistic story about a very intelligent dog named Stanley. I'm a huge dog lover so I absolutely adored the ending when he gets to his space dog! Cool pictures -- Really liked this one!
  • The Bear Ate Your Sandwich
  • Frog on a Log
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • The Night World
  • Special Delivery
  • Is There a Dog in This Book?
  • Puddle Pug