Start by marking “Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven

Beyond the Rainbow Bridge: Nurturing Our Children from Birth to Seven

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  366 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
by Barbara J. Patterson, Pamela Bradley and Jean Riordan (Perfect Paperback - Jan 1, 2000)
Perfect Paperback, 207 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Michaelmas Press

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Rainbow Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Rainbow Bridge

Rhiannon
Nov 14, 2007 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
(edited)

My family is not exactly a "Waldorf Family," however, we do appreciate the Waldorf style and philosophy. (And I have long since learned that I do not have to subscribe to any philosophy wholly in order to borrow from it). But this book really brought to light a lot of what the Waldorf philosophy rides on for young children and gave me ideas for bringing that into my own parenting. My children are a bit old for this book's teachings, though. I'd say that it's best for parents of infants u
Ardra
Apr 18, 2008 Ardra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone around children
Recommended to Ardra by: Ethan's preschool teacher
Shelves: parenting
Great intro to Waldorf early education. Really loved the ideas presented in this book. It has changed how I view simple tasks such as sweeping the floor, baking with Ethan, etc. Now instead of seeing it as a chore (that's a PIA), I look at it as a calming activity that doesn't need to be rushed, keeping in mind that my children are absorbing my attitude. The old fashioned way of life (the daily rituals--Monday is wash day, Tuesday is ironing day, Wednesday is baking day, etc) was very comforting ...more
Melissa
Feb 03, 2010 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
In trying to learn about Waldorf early childhood education, I read most of this book, very quickly. It's super easy to read, and the mystery of Waldorf is fading, finally. An awkward relationship to the belief system behind Waldorf has replaced my intrigue. The "science" of anthroposophy feels too much like faith, and faith would be fine, if it wasn't called science. This is not much of a review of this book, but this book led me here: It will be, for me, a tradition to borrow from, with lots of ...more
Sheridan
Feb 10, 2011 Sheridan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, waldorf
I would say this is an amazing book for parents interested in Waldorf education.

It was simple, but gave a great overview into the first years of childhood. A definite must read for Waldorf parents or anyone interested in it.

Even if you are not, still a good read. Some great tips. The most helpful - using "you may" instead of "would you"

For instance - "would you take out the garbage?" they can say NO!

"You may take out the garbage now."

It is amazing how great this works!!!
Amanda Medlin
Jul 08, 2010 Amanda Medlin rated it liked it
I loved the chapter on creative discipline. The rest of the book was good, but just basic Waldorf philosophy, nothing that new or different. If you are unfamiliar with Waldorf, it would be a good introduction. If you are familiar with Waldorf, it might be a bit repetitive of what you already know.
Claire
Jun 13, 2012 Claire rated it liked it

This book is an interesting guide to developing routines and environments that encourage children to develop into whole, well balanced adults. It is a sweet, nurturing approach to childhood, but is a little to gentle, inasmuch as I got bored and couldn't finish it. It may prove more useful when my daughter is older.
Shalinee
May 04, 2009 Shalinee rated it really liked it
First parenting book I ever read from start to finish...despite Kavya's attempts to hide the book from me twice (meaning of that act not lost on me!). Good introduction to Waldorf early childhood education. Even if you filter out the Waldorfian references, it's a good parenting book.
K
Nov 10, 2008 K rated it liked it
I thought it would be more useful for people not attending a Waldorf school - but clearly it was directed at families utilizing that type of school. In addition, a lot of the recommendations were too vague to be practical or I had read elsewhere.
Ginger
Jan 22, 2010 Ginger rated it really liked it
Lots of useful activities for engaging the senses. I love love love the tip for getting kids to cooperate. You use the phrase "you may..." and it is working for my willful three year old
Mackenzie
Aug 29, 2014 Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I'm not totally convinced Waldorf is the way to go but I did glean lots of ideas from this book. Great sections on outdoor time, rhythms and doll play.
Stephanie
Mar 13, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenthood
Everything included in here was written in a much more interesting way in other Waldorf inspired books like my favorite Heaven on Earth.

Maybe it was just my mood but the simplistic way that she offered solutions to common discipline issues turned me off. It's definitely not so simple and every child is so different! And seriously, why can't the kids just toss around the knitted animals?! You may toss these wool balls... You may play with the knitted animals in the barn.
Okay okay it must be my mo
Hope
Feb 26, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it
Shelves: waldorf
This is the second time I've read this little gem and it's been great both times. It is a gentle and inspiring introduction to Waldorf and would be a good place to start for anyone embarking on the Waldorf journey. I've learned new things with each reading, coming away with easy and do-able nuggets of wisdom. Highly recommended. Very enjoyable little book.
R. C.
Oct 15, 2012 R. C. rated it it was amazing
This is going to be a terribly personal write-up that will probably not tell you anything about the book itself.

I re-read this one for my Re-Reading Old Well-Knowns festival. I remember not liking it at all when I was a young mother. It felt preachy to me then, somehow. Now, I'm not finding any of that. Maybe I've been whittled by my years of actual parenting - all three of my kids are now seven or older - into something more humble and more certain at once, so I can meet the author where she i
Marie
Aug 21, 2015 Marie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It took a while for me to have some quite to sit and read it. But the way it tells how to speak to children and the why or all of it I will find very helpful. Instead of giving choices because children get way too many choices and become self-centered, which I can now see it. I will try some of these things out for sure. One more great resource is the appendix has at least 20 pages of books to read with short summaries which I have been searching for.
Laura Rogers
Sep 05, 2014 Laura Rogers rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read. Highly recommended.
Suzie
Apr 25, 2014 Suzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: waldorf
This is a good overview of Waldorf principals. I knew most of it already, but I'm glad to have this on my shelf as a reference and a reminder. I especially appreciated the chapter on creative discipline, and the Rainbow Bridge birthday stories. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to try a more nurturing, gentle approach to early childhood education and development.
Feb 02, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
a good overview of Waldorf education, at least the early years. Great references and websites in the back of the book for craft ideas, further readings, story ideas...
Christine Harold
May 15, 2007 Christine Harold rated it really liked it
This is an introduction to the Waldorf model of education that was recommended to me by someone at the Seattle Waldorf school. It's definitely outside the mainstream of parenting and education literature, but a lot of it really resonates with me. I learned a lot. May be a little "crunchy" for some.
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
One of the first Steiner parenting books I read, and I've recently read a second time. Easy to read, it explains simple but important principles such as the importance of rhythm, breathing in and breathing out time, and is a nice gentle introduction to Steiner approaches to early childhood.
Kiki
Feb 27, 2009 Kiki rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Even though, after researching and attending some Waldorf classes with my daughter, I decided Waldorf wasn't for us, this was a really good book. A good way to dip your toes into the world of Waldorf and learn a bit about this approach to parenting/education.
Tracey
Oct 02, 2013 Tracey rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to read if you are considering a Steiner Education for your children, very informative and inspiring, actually reinforced my decision for our children to attend Steiner School for their entire schooling years.
Tara
Feb 27, 2013 Tara rated it it was amazing
A friend gifted me this book a while ago, and even though we don't have a Waldorf school in my area, there is so much I can incorporate in my three year old's development. Loaded with tons of resources and references.
Shannon
Feb 09, 2010 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-nonfic
Seems to be more about anthroposophy than Waldorf-style education - I wonder if they are as dependent on each other as this book makes it seem? I like the patterns in the back for Waldorf dolls, though.
Joyce Pinero
Jan 27, 2016 Joyce Pinero rated it really liked it
Shelves: waldorf-kinder
Excellent, simple introduction to early Waldorf education. Love the child development section as well as the small section on creative discipline.
Alicia
Nov 05, 2008 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Waldorf Parents
I just finished this one. Of all the books I've read to try to incorporate Waldorf methods into my homeschooling, this has been the most helpful.
Rachel
Sep 24, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Patterson's book about Waldorf is simple and straightforward and a very quick read, but doesn't give a whole lot of practical advice for parents.
Kelly
Jul 17, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
One of the best parenting (for young children) books I've read. Absolutely must for anyone interested in a Waldorf lifestyle.
Nicole
Jan 24, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Waldorf
I liked that this book provided a lot of "real life" examples. I know I'll be referring back to it time and time again.
Shannon
May 11, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This is one of the kindest, gentlest and most useful books I have read on child rearing. I use it's wisdom everyday.
Kim
May 20, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Aside from Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care, this is the best book I have ever read about raising children.
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • All Year Round: Christian Calendar of Celebrations
  • Creative Play for Your Toddler: Steiner Waldorf Expertise and Toy Projects for 2 - 4s
  • Festivals, Family, and Food: A Guide to Multi-Cultural Celebration
  • Waldorf Education: A Family Guide
  • Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost