Start by marking “The Hellion” as Want to Read:
The Hellion

The Hellion

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,403 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Rachel is the pinnacle of elegance, social standing, and beauty--when the wildest, most passionate flame of her youth steps into her life again. Tommy Lee is the all-time hellraiser of Russellville, Alabama, with three marriages behind him and a string of fast cars and women. The townsfolk say he will never change. But Rachel knows differently.
Published March 1st 1989 by Jove (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Hellion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hellion

Lyuda
Sep 29, 2016 Lyuda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
If you ever read the author before, you know Ms. Spencer is (was, since she doesn’t write anymore) a great storyteller versatile in both HRs and CRs. Her characters are often unconventional. None of her stories are alike. She doesn’t shy away from exploring difficult downright uncomfortable subject matters. I loved/ liked pretty much all of her HRs I read, but CRs were more of a hit-and-miss. This story was a miss.

Written in 1984, the book is dated with some cringe-induced non-PC moments which n
Robin
Tommy Lee Gentry and Rachel Talmadge share a past. Twenty Four years ago, they were neighbors, best friends, and lovers. But when Rachel finds out she is pregnant, her father sent her away to have the baby and give it up for adoption. Tommy Lee and Rachel lived separate lives until now. Rachel's husband has died and Tommy Lee starts visiting her. He tells Rachel he has never stopped loving her. But his reputation for wild women and booze stops her from getting involved with him again. She warns ...more
Season
Feb 15, 2012 Season rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite of Ms. Spencer's books, but it is a really good story, I just don't really relate to this one. The thing of all of Ms. Spencer's books is that each book is so very different, not one story is the same as another. If you are a fan of hers, you will like this one. It is a easy, quick read.
Tressa
Mar 17, 2012 Tressa rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
The Hellion had an intriguing start with vivid description. Unfortunately, the ending seemed pat and the resolution with Beth seemed too easy. Plus, there wasn’t any mention of the other kids, which I thought was odd.
Jen
Feb 24, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was a fun quick romance read. Predictable, but a juicy little romance.
Lizzy
Oct 16, 2015 Lizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, histórico
4.5/5 Uma graça o herói fazendo dieta =)
Rosi
Aug 11, 2014 Rosi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I don't know if I should mark it off as contemporary or historical since the book refers to a lot of furniture and clothing style from the eighties.
I rate it as OK because it did help me pass the time but there were a lot of issues that I found disturbing. *******SPOILERS*******
*****SPOILER ALERT*******
I did not like that the parents had so much power over the H/h especially the h even as an adult. The H/h conceived a baby but put up for adoption per both sets of parents and neither of them sea
Stacy
May 03, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tommy Lee and Rachel were raised together. They lived next door to each other and their parents were good friends. When they fall in love as teenagers it was no surprise to anyone. What was a surprise to the teens was an unexpected pregnancy and a major push from their parents to keep them apart when they needed each other the most. Now they are both 41 and there are no obstacles between them except the lives they’ve lived while apart.

If you enjoyed the first paragraph I included and would like
Caroline
Jan 09, 2013 Caroline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the lowest rating I have ever given a spencer book, although it unfortunately deserved it.

I would say this book was a light read but I consider that a story that doesn't frustrate me or leave me with questions by the end of it. The ending of The Hellion was idealistic - and I have no problem with that; except for the fact that the two main characters (Rachel and Tommy Lee) who lived in same town for twenty four years and have loved each other for twenty four years, were kept apart by int
Marleen
Jun 26, 2012 Marleen rated it did not like it
Shelves: lavyrle-spencer
I really wanted to like this book better but I just couldn’t. The story-line was uninteresting, antiquated and rather thin; the dialogues too repetitive.The characters were stereo-typed and one-dimensional. I wanted to like Tommy Lee Gentry and Rachel Hollis, but to me, they were unappealing and unrealistic. This story was too predictable for a romance story - and indeed felt very much like a flimsy romance written in the eighties with no connection to today's way of thinking. I may sound harsh ...more
Becky
Sep 14, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story, but at times unrealistic. Rachel is forty something whose husband has just died from a battle of cancer. She is wealthy, a prominant business owner, beautiful and has a cold, demanding father. The family of course has their secrets. Enter Tommy Lee, another 40 something rich,good looking man who is the talk of the community about his drinking, fast driving and women. Rachel and Tommy Lee have a history that time and mistakes can't deny. I don't want to spoil the story. See ...more
Rebecca Dean
Nov 08, 2014 Rebecca Dean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cindy
Sep 10, 2007 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the author
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed this romance, but not as much as I wanted to. It was so obvious that Tommy Lee and Rachel would get back together, I kept waiting for them to get it over with. Rachel's main hesitation was Tommy Lee's reputation (which I can understand) and worry about what everyone would think (which I couldn't). Rachel's dad comes off as such a jerk, I couldn't understand why she even cared about his opinion. The story never quite built up the suspense or romantic tension it needed. Not as good as so ...more
Leeann Smith
Jan 12, 2013 Leeann Smith rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of romance novels but I read this on the recommendation of a friend. The story line is a bit predictible but that is not a bad thing if you love romance. What I was more drawn to was the location/setting. The story takes place in Russellville, AL so all the references to locale was familiar. I enjoyed that aspect. I think most who have always loved Harlaquin Romances novels will enjoy this book, especially if you live in northwest Alabama.
Becky Adams
May 22, 2016 Becky Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
In this romance world of new love being "younger", this story is high school lovers who are now in their 40's, living in the same town with their lives taking definitely different courses. Loved it, couldn't put it down! I bought this older story in a book with three novels - Hellion, Separate Beds and Hummingbird. Originally published in 1984. Now reading Separate Beds and it's just as good!!!
Karen Hogan
Apr 20, 2013 Karen Hogan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by admitting that no one does romances like LaVyrle Spencer. In this book two former high school sweethearts meet again in their forties. Unfortunately, this book was not that good, and I had difficulty even getting into it.
Meggie
Oct 08, 2013 Meggie marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I really liked all the LaVyrle Spencer books that I have read, but this one...I put it down for a month and when I picked it back up I just wasn't interested in finishing it. Maybe I'll try it again sometime? DNF.
Naomi
Jun 10, 2010 Naomi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Any book of LS is well worth the read. the Hellion was a sweet story which followed most of LaVyrle's books, yet sucked me in just like the rest of them. This is an author who I wish had never retired!
Gaynell
I enjoyed this book, but it was not as believable as her other books I have read. I do love that Spencer makes her H/h normal people. They don't all have perfect bodies, beauty queen/king looks, etc.
Amanda
Apr 10, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite. It was a quick read and okay for a cute love story. You pretty much knew everything before it happened. Probably won't be interested in reading this one again.
Karin
May 18, 2012 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never liked this one much as a teenager, but as an adult I found it to be an enjoyable read. Evil parents, unrequited teenage love, adoption. Get 'em all here.
Chamie
Nov 10, 2011 Chamie marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Erin
Aug 26, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ha ha...I remember reading this book and thinking how corny and hokey it was....another of the "modern" day books of hers that i didn't enjoy.
Amanda
Sep 30, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The plot was no mystery, the conflict was formulated, and the ending got a little overcheesy hokey. But it was an okay Sunday afternoon romance read.
Carrie
Mar 05, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite of LaVyrle's books. I was SO disappointed when she stopped writing her novels. I read and have all of them.
Shan Walks
Jan 12, 2011 Shan Walks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few books I've read half a dozen times at least. It's my favorite modern romance novel.
Michelle
Nice little romance, not one of my favourite Spencer novels,but enjoyable none the less.
Jody
Oct 13, 2010 Jody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
kind of uneventful for her, nothing more than romance which is boring to me.
Nancy Kuchta
Great book - I loved everything I've read by LaVyrle Spencer
Kelly
I loved it. Read it in 1 day because I couldn't put it down.
  • With Song (Dolan Brothers, #3)
  • The Surgeon (Canadian Mounties, #2)
  • Museum Piece
  • Savage Courtship (Harlequin Presents, No 1744)
  • Wild Oats (Wild Oats, #1)
  • Surrender to Love
  • Billy Bob Walker Got Married
  • Whippoorwill
  • Loving Jenny
  • The Mermaid
  • Almost Perfect
  • Seventh Heaven
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...