Start by marking “The Maltese Felon (Reed Ferguson #3)” as Want to Read:
The Maltese Felon (Reed Ferguson #3)

The Maltese Felon (Reed Ferguson Mystery #3)

Reed's back with a dose of humor and film noir that will keep you turning pages. When an attractive female client begs Reed Ferguson to find her prize-winning Maltese show dog stolen from her back yard, Reed suspects he may be channeling Ace Ventura: Pet Detective rather than his hero, Humphrey Bogart. It sounds like a simple case, but things take a dangerous turn and Reed ...more
Published June 27th 2012 by Createspace (first published April 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Maltese Felon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maltese Felon

Janet C.
May 16, 2013 Janet C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Janet C. by: n/a
Well, another Reed Ferguson hillarious whodunit! It was a fun adventure to follow Ferguson as he attempted once more to figure the maze of dogs and their humans. Excellent fun!
Pat Welte
Nov 10, 2016 Pat Welte rated it liked it
Very entertaining and funny book.
Zachary
Nov 08, 2016 Zachary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Maltese Felon

While I enjoyed this story, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't have as many references/inferences to film noir in it. I really like the way the author is developing her characters. I've already downloaded her next two books. Please write a story using the movie "DARK PASSAGE!!!!"
Debbie Elholm
Sep 30, 2016 Debbie Elholm rated it it was amazing
Another fine edition to the series! Attention dog lovers everyone! Someone is kidnapping show dogs, but don't you worry! Reed Ferguson is on the trail along with his trusty sidekick Cal, who rescues Reed from some serious trouble. There is plenty of humor throughout the book. While Reed didn't reminisce about "The Maltese Falcon," he stuck true to Bogie and reminisced about "High Sierra."
Aaron Dubin
Feb 28, 2014 Aaron Dubin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Reed Mystery. I actually liked this one more than the last one. I finished this book in two days, and was sad it was over. Storytelling was top notch, and Reed is definitely coming into his own as a P.I. Have every intention of picking up Book 4 of this series.

Overall, I am giving this book four stars, however it deserves 4.25 stars. Anyone who loves a great mystery and a main character who is engaging, smart, and determined will love this series.

SOME SPOILERS BELOW!!!

I feel as t
Trista Borgwardt
Jun 15, 2014 Trista Borgwardt rated it it was amazing
This was a great Private Investigator mystery novel. From the beginning I was hooked. I was quite intrigued when the story opened up with a dog being dog-napped and that the owners wanted to hire a PI to help them.

This was a humorous, action packed mystery that left you guessing. The main character and PI, Reed, seems a bit clumsy at times making the book all the more interesting.

We follow Reed as he interferes, unintentionally not just once, but twice with a ransom drop. You would think his l
Cathy
Sep 04, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it
The Maltese Felon is a cozy mystery a la noir with a case based on a missing pet. It is the second one I have read this week. One more and I will have an acutual collection of them.
This one is an enjoyable read with all the required elements. The hero is an average guy who would like to be Sam Spade but is much more Jim Rockford. He has some quirky but likable sidekicks. He has the girl he'd like to get. And he has a case that the police don't really want. But the quality of the writing raises t
Roger
Sep 08, 2015 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Renée Pawlish just keeps getting better & better in the comic murder mystery genre. Pawlish's continuing development of her lead character, Reed Ferguson makes for an entertaining read as she feeds us movie trivia that both entertains & educates, all while being interwoven in the story. This time she takes on the world of show dogs, educating & entertaining us, while further developing Reed's love life.

The Reed Ferguson mystery series:

• Book 1: This Doesn't Happen In The Movies
• Boo
Ashok
Jun 25, 2015 Ashok rated it really liked it
Humphrey Bogart's acolyte Renee Pawlish pays homage to her guru with the title "The Maltese Felon" (Bogart being famous for his Maltese Falcon). Her protagonist (a Humphrey Bogart acolyte) is a rich lawyer who becomes a modern day detective. As they say about some wines, Renee's novels do not travel too well, i.e. they cannot be fully appreciated by people unfamiliar with Bogart's body of work, or the geography given with too much detail. But her works are still enjoyable, thanks to clever ...more
Timothy VanderWall
Dec 18, 2015 Timothy VanderWall rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Maltese Felon is another delightful Reed Ferguson mystery. This time Reed must find the perpetrators of several dognappings of show dogs. After several false starts, a few bruises, and one or two missed chances, Reed finally locates the felons and brings them to justice. Like the first two books, this was a fun read. The mystery isn't overly difficult; and watching Reed get into (and out of) scrape after scrape always puts a smile on my face. I look forward to the next Reed Ferguson ...more
Marie
May 22, 2016 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really my cup of tea

The main characters are well done, although Reed Ferguson, the lead detective, has a fascination for all things Bogart, as in Humphrey.

While I like Bogart, his detective films were not my favorite pieces of his work and the constant references to them are annoying.

The mystery, itself, is very well written, the puns are great fun. It just ran entirely too long.

I may try another book in this series, but I am going to wait a bit on it.
Teresa
Jun 23, 2015 Teresa rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read by Ms. Pawlish, but it won't be the last. The Maltese Felon spins a story of surprise and intrigue. Being a huge Humphrey Bogart fan, I enjoyed the references to him and his films by the main character, Reed Ferguson. Reed is a private detective hired to locate a kidnapped dog. What he thinks will be an easy case, turns out to not be what he expected. Ms. Pawlish writes a fun, great private detective story.
Rosemary
Jun 04, 2014 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to rate this book. It's a fun, fluffy read with lots of cute dogs. I couldn't take Reed seriously as a detective (there were too many "I probably should have dialed 911, but I didn't" moments) or as the hard-boiled type of man he's supposed to be. He needed bailing out too much. But it's not the sort of book you're supposed to take seriously, and it was very well-written for a self-published book, and perfect for a long wait in a hospital waiting room. So I'm rounding 3.5 stars up to 4.
Marcia
Sep 12, 2015 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable read

Reed Ferguson is a likeable private detective. The light humor provided by the two brothers (Ace and deuce) adds a fun-loving and compassionate view of friends who may be limited in the intelligence area, but they have hearts of gold when it comes to helping Reed.
Philip
Apr 02, 2016 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An OK read to unwind after a more serious book and it's about as good as the rest in this series. I don't think it was quite as funny and I think Reed is becoming too serious and good at being a detective if he could only stop getting beaten to a pulp in every escapade but I still like the series and I will keep reading them. Cal and the Goofball Bros are pretty good characters.
karen kincaid
Dec 13, 2014 karen kincaid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hit for noir

Not quite as good as the last two I've read but still enjoyable. You've gotta love dogs. Which I do. Interesting premise.. and it was still in the noir genre.
Nina Beeler
Nina Beeler rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Karin Crehan
Karin Crehan rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2015
Myra Ball
Myra Ball rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Митьо Триона
Митьо Триона rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Michelle DeYoung
Michelle DeYoung rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Beth Pease
Beth Pease rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Ruth Turner
Apr 01, 2015 Ruth Turner rated it liked it
I'm enjoying her Novels
Kathie
Kathie rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Lynn Wilhelm
Lynn Wilhelm rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Stacy Goodworth
Stacy Goodworth rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The God Decrees
  • The War Planners (The War Planners #1)
  • Foreign Enemies And Traitors (The Enemies Trilogy, #3)
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Jack in a Box (Hunt for Reacher, #2)
  • The Valhalla Exchange
  • The Trident Deception (Trident Deception #1)
  • Be Skillful (Proverbs): Tapping God's Guidebook to Fulfillment
  • When God's Story Becomes Your Story
  • Letters to a Young Pastor
  • My Life: Based on the Book Gifted Hands
  • The Mammoth Book Of Pulp Fiction
  • Longnecks & Twisted Hearts (The Bill Travis Mysteries)
  • Murder for Greenhorns (Warbonnet, #1)
  • The Proper Distinction Between Law and Gospel
  • Da Nang Diary: A Forward Air Controller's Gunsight View of Flying with SOG
  • As It Was in the Days of Noah: Warnings from Bible Prophecy About the Coming Global Storm
From the time she was ten and tried to write her own detective series in the fashion of the Hardy Boys, Renée Pawlish has been developing her craft. Along with creative writing classes, Renée studied great writers like Dashiell Hammett, Rex Stout, Stephen King, Sue Grafton and many more. Once Renée graduated from college, she began her first novel. Now, all these years later, she has penned ...more
More about Renee Pawlish...

Reed Ferguson Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson Mystery #1)
  • Reel Estate Rip-Off (Reed Ferguson #2)
  • Farewell, My Deuce (Reed Ferguson Mystery #4)
  • Out of the Past (Reed Ferguson #5)
  • Torch Scene (Reed Ferguson Mystery #6)
  • The Lady Who Sang High (Reed Ferguson #7)
  • Sweet Smell of Sucrets (Reed Ferguson Mystery #8)
  • The Third Fan (Reed Ferguson Mystery #9)
  • Back Story (Reed Ferguson Mystery #10)
  • Night of the Hunted (Reed Ferguson #11)