The Red Fairy Book
read book* *Different edition

The Red Fairy Book (Coloured Fairy Books #3)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,657 ratings  ·  60 reviews
ONCE upon a time there lived in the village of Montignies-sur-Roc a little cow-boy, without either father or mother. His real name was Michael, but he was always called the Star Gazer, because when he drove his cows over the commons to seek for pasture, h
Published April 15th 2007 by 1st World Library (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Fairy Book

Batgrl (Not Trusting GR With My Reviews/Shelves Now)
I read several of Lang's Fairy Books when I was little, and I can remember seeing a whole set of the various colored books on a bookstore shelf, and wishing that I could have them all. Buying them all was expensive, and I never remembered to try the library and look them up. However now all of them are free ebooks. Handy thing, that. [Free Gutenberg ebook link for this one.]

One thing I've always loved about fairy tales is that, when an odd being comes to you repeatedly in a dream, it's perfectly...more
Abby Hagler

11. Don't Take My Sunshine Away - Sparklehorse
12. Fill Your Heart - David Bowie
13. The Wait...more
Alice
This was a "suggested reading" book for the Charlotte Mason curriculum we are using. It is a collection of fairy tales and there are other books by the same author such as "The Blue Fairy Book". What I liked: there were many fairy tales that I had never heard of and it was fun to read the new stories. Another element that I liked was that it didn't "dumb down" the stories for children or take out the sad or scary parts. I don't like the disney type stories that infantilize children by always cre...more
Camille
I don’t have as much to say about this book as I did about The Crimson Fairy Book, because a lot of my thoughts are still the same – as a modern reader I often find myself asking “why” when a character randomly does something. I long for more plot, character motivation, sound reasoning! I tried hard to leave those thoughts aside and just enjoy these wacky little tales.

The back of the book explains that this volume contains some familiar tales like Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel, The Ratcatcher...more
Rob
Anyone acquainted with The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales will find this book familier going, although somewhat lighter fare. I also realized as I began that I should have started with The Blue Fairy Book, something I intend to rectify soon.

I don't know if it's a good idea to plow through this all at once, but if you do, you'll quickly notice and perhaps even grow troubled by the repetitive nature of the tales, since many are, after all, but regional variations on the other. At the same time, it c...more
Shoshana
I took notes on my Kindle as I read these, so I'll just copy and expand them out here and hope that it sort of works as a review! Since it was last month, and it's hard to get an overall impression of a book of fairy tales.

The Princess Mayblossom: I've read this template before. Usually there's better bad luck. But I like the agency of the heroine.

Soria Moria Castle: Like East of the Sun West of the Moon but less epic and with a boy doing boy things. [What did that mean? I may have to re-read to...more
Amanda
Jack and the Beanstalk: In this version, the giant's castle, harp, and money all belonged to Jack's father. The giant came and killed Jack's father and Jack's siblings. Jack and his mother the queen escaped. The queen pretended to be a peasant to hide Jack from the giant. The man who sold Jack the beans was really a fairy in disguise who wanted to test Jack and see if he would make a good king. Jack defeats the giant and reclaims his kingdom.

Mother Holle: Two sisters: one good, one lazy. When sh...more
Isabel
This is one of the most comprehensive collections of Western fairy tales I've found. Definitely better for the stouter of heart: "the Bull ... rushed at the Troll, and gored out his eyes, and drove his horns right through him so that his entrails gushed out..." (198). So, kinda rated R for violence. Somehow, my 7 year old daughter still insists that we start our day with one of these stories, though. The bold and the beautiful are always rewarded. It's fun to find similarities in these stories w...more
Nieva21
I am now an avid Andrew Lang reader! I grew up loving the Red Fairy book, but not being able to fully appreciate it as much as all of the creative efforts that went into writing it. I feel that now that I was able to read this whole book as well as the Violet Fairy Book, I am also eager to read the other famous Fairy Books (all of which, I now own!, except the Rose book). I believe they are written and compiled more for adults than for anything. But it is really this class, that got me to love...more
Julie
I liked this one much more than The Blue Fairy book. It had tales I hadn't heard, and the groupings were smoother and less disjointed as I read.
Crystal
There were a few fairy tales I hadn't heard of before but nothing truly spectacular. And they are so repetitious... with all the tales out there I'm surprised Lang put so many similar ones in one book.
Emily Morris
It can be difficult to find a fairy tale collection that manages to hit on a wider spectrum of stories, rather than the hish-hash collections of everything that everyone has memorized or the collections that go out of the way to find the most unknown and unusual. This has both, from the familiar to the distinctly different, and told in a classic Victorian voice. There is a story for everyone here, romantic, macabre, and even funny, and from a variety of countries and cultures. It's a good, basic...more
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
‘Mirror, mirror, hanging there, Who in all the land’s most fair?’

‘You are most fair, my Lady Queen, None fairer in the land, I ween.’

Then she was quite happy, for she knew the mirror always spoke the truth.

But Snowdrop was growing prettier and prettier every day, and when she was seven years old she was as beautiful as she could be, and fairer even than the Queen herself. One day when the latter asked her mirror the usual question, it replied:

‘My Lady Queen, you are fair, ’tis true, But Snowdro...more
Ivy
I first heard of this book when I was doing an Author Study on J.R.R. Tolkien. It was one of the books he read when he was younger that influenced him. The other day I was in the back of our school library when the title caught my attention. Since I love Tolkien and fairy tales so much I asked the librarian if I could check them out, but they were discards so she let me take them home! I absolutely love the collection of fairy tales. It really is a shame parents don't read more of the older tale...more
Virginia Manning
You can't really go wrong with fairy tales.
Jacqueline Sinard
I dearly love short stories mostly because they do not have time for a lot of weeping and angst like so many series today. This book did not disappoint, I could stop reading at any time and not have to worry about whether the main character was going to end up with her soulmate or die alone and unloved. And while I did not love all of the stories, it contained very few that I did not like in some way. Can't wait to read the rest of the Fairy books!
Maureen
Jun 05, 2008 Maureen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and the people who read to them
Shelves: children
I found this book, along with The Green Fairy Book, in an old house in Canada. That was the beginning of the magic of reading these well-known fairy tales to my daughters. Lang's writing style is not as descriptive as the Brothers Grimm, and he does not have the heart of Hans Christian Anderson, but he recounts these beloved stories well enough that the children I read them to will probably read them to their children someday.
Cherylg
Some good stories...some not so good. Overall we enjoyed the Blue Fairy book better than the Red one.
Rrlgrrl
The second book of the series, and this one definitely had some familiar Grimm fairy tales. I was a little surprised that the tale of Snowdrop (or Snow White) had the traditional gory ending rather than the sanitized one. I had thought all of the Andrew Lang fairy tale compilations were sanitized. The next one is green, but I'll save it for the beginning of next year.
Nan Silvernail
More collected fairy tales in this 2nd volume of the color fairy books.

(General update: I've been reading through all of H.P. Lovecraft's works:
That's why I am 7 books behind. yow! I wish I could get credit for all the short stories in it, but it is not possible here. Ah well. I'll catch up!)
Natasha
Interesting to read different versions of well known tales. This is not a collection of Disney fairy tales. Some are quite dark and violent with the occasional non politically correct language. That said, it was interesting and at times wonderfully amusing. Not aimed for young children as some of the stories are too graphic and scary for bedtime.
Lois
This is a great compilation of old short stories to read to your kids before bed! Because these are the actual old stories, not modernized versions, the English is much more sophisticated than more recent stories and there are very few pictures. Personally, I see this as a bonus...but I am probably in a minority on that opinion.
Roberta
I read a lot of fairy tales, both as a kid and as an adult. Unfortunately, all the stories are starting to look the same: a young boy, a young girl, some misfortune, an antagonist, some magic and the happy ending.
I believe that's the reason why I didn't enjoyed this book as I'm supposed to.

Lisa
I read the first of the "rainbow" Fairy Books in 1958 when I was in 3rd grade. I tore through them in rapid succession and was so disappointed when I finished the last of them. Another disappointment was that I could not get my daughter or granddaughter interested in them.
Lea Lea
Good Stuff, favorite: Fafnur and Sigurd
Jenn
As with the "Blue Fairy Book" I LOVED this book. The fairy tales are really interesting as is the author's commentary in the back of the book. His thoughts on fairy tales and their origins and religion are interesting. I highly recommend this book.
Nikki
If you like fairy tales get all of these books. Yellow and Red being my favorite. If you are reading this aloud be prepared for names and places that can be hard to pronounce. My suggestion, change the name on the fly.
Artnoose Noose
Another in my fairy book streak, and I think I'll cool it for a while. More fairy stories you know, and some you don't. A lot of death and torture. And who knew that the Snow White story was originally called Snowdrop?
Elinor  Loredan
Favorites:
Princess Mayblossom
The Enchanted Pig
Princess Rosette
Graciosa and Percinet (this ones especially! So magical)
The Golden Branch
The Nettle Spinner
The Enchanted Canary
Bushy Bride
Heathyr
Fairy tales were not always made to have happy endings. Now out of print I have this and the yellow Fairy book on my bookshelf. I grew up reading these. I can only wish every child gets to read these.
  • Welsh Fairy Tales
  • Black Heart, Ivory Bones
  • The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales
  • Spells of Enchantment: The Wondrous Fairy Tales of Western Culture
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Penguin Popular Classics)
  • East of the Sun and West of the Moon: Old Tales from the North
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Our Island Story: A History of Britain for Boys and Girls
  • The Classic Fairy Tales
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
Andrew Gabriel Lang was a prolific Scots man of letters. He was a poet, novelist, and literary critic, and a contributor to anthropology. He now is best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales.
The Andrew Lang Lectures at St. Andrews University are named for him. He also rewrote the famous The 12 Dancing Princesses, originally done by the Grimm Brothers. Andrew Lang did the French version.
More about Andrew Lang...
The Blue Fairy Book The Green Fairy Book The Yellow Fairy Book The Pink Fairy Book The Orange Fairy Book

“...remember that the danger that is most to be feared is never the danger we are most afraid of.” 12 likes
“Why should I laugh?' asked the old man. 'Madness in youth is true wisdom. Go, young man, follow your dream, and if you do not find the happiness that you seek, at any rate you will have had the happiness of seeking it.” 5 likes