Start by marking “A Time to Keep” as Want to Read:
A Time to Keep

A Time to Keep

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  388 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
There were homemade valentines and Easter eggs, Fourth of July picnics and family birthdays. Thanksgiving brought visits from relatives -- so many, the children had to sleep in the barn! And finally there was Christmas, the best of all "times to keep," with handmade presents, an Advent calendar, and a "beautiful tree in a shine of candles."
Month by month, Tasha Tudor's de
Published November 1st 1996 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time to Keep

K.
Jan 27, 2010 K. rated it it was amazing
I think Heaven will be like this book. :)
Rebecca
Dec 23, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jenn Sechler
Something caused me to reserve this book, and I don't remember what. But I'm glad I did: it's the first Tasha Tudor book I've really studied, and I see why she is so well-loved for her nostalgic settings, delicate watercolors, and flowered borders. This book makes me want to go back in time, or at least always live in a place where the seasons change. Good for fans of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Beatrix Potter.

My favorite is the double-page spread that says "But best of all -- the birthday cake ca
Jan 27, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
This was one of my husband's favorite books as a child and I just read it to my daughter having never read it before. It was sweet, but mostly it made me really sad that life isn't like that anymore. Not that I ever experienced it as such, but it is portrayed as a "simpler" time and life itself seemed so self sustaining and meaningful. These days it seems like we live hand to mouth and everything just costs money. Rather than have this turn into a socio-political economic rant, I will just leave ...more
Literary Mama
From "Essential Reading: Seasons" by Literary Mama staff:

When I think of seasons, I think instantly of Tasha Tudor, who rendered them so beautifully in her books—and who, during my sodden Northwest childhood, gave me an idea of what summer and winter could be like for people who didn't live on the edge of a temperate rain forest. Now that I live in New England, it has been a special pleasure to revisit Tudor's oeuvre with my boys as we go Around the Year. For our family, it's not summer without
Amy
Nov 20, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Tasha Tudor's worldview is magical. She's created an enchanting book where life is celebrated. A Time to Keep epitomizes her style with beautiful illustrations of yearly celebrations during the 1800s. Children spend time making presents for Christmas, creating a play and having a bake "sale". The favorite, though, is an illustration of folks at a birthday celebrated by a river in the woods during a summer evening. The cake, alight with candles, comes floating down the river. So beautiful (althou ...more
Rebekah
Life should be lived in joyful celebration. Tasha shows us how to do just that in this simply profound book.
Nicole Faires
Feb 19, 2013 Nicole Faires rated it it was amazing
One of the best books ever written. Okay, maybe not but it is magical and wonderful anyway.
Jane Hoff
Jan 17, 2016 Jane Hoff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
This is a book from my childhood that still has presence in my bookshelf. The care with which Tudor illustrated the fanciful events of each month takes the reader, young and old, to that familiar and timeless moment of delight in celebration. The events depicted, and accompanying illustrations, mesmerize the reader with playful imaginings, inspiring feelings of anticipation and appreciation for family and community gatherings celebrating what is good and honored in our lives. A treasure for all ...more
Crystal
Sep 03, 2007 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and anyone who remembers and misses the magic of childhood and past traditions
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This is the sweetest old fashioned beautifully illustrated book. I read this as a child, and cherished my copy of it even as an adult. sometimes I reread it just for fun, and it will definitely be something I read to my children someday.
Tasha Tudor captures so charmingly the magic of childhood and by-gone traditions. It's fascinating to see how old traditions were observed, especially for various holidays and times of the year (the book is arranged by month, with the celebrations each month bri
Alicia
Feb 19, 2015 Alicia rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite Tasha Tudor book! I have my childhood copy. Enchanting recollections and illustrations of holiday celebrations from her family in the early 1900s.
Tracie
Sep 24, 2014 Tracie rated it it was amazing
A favorite childhood book.
Rita Manthei
Mar 14, 2015 Rita Manthei rated it it was amazing
Very good book.
Douglas Summers-Stay
Dec 26, 2011 Douglas Summers-Stay rated it really liked it
This book is perhaps the most distilled, condensed nostalgia ever created. The humorous little details of the drawings are fun to look for. I remember August was my favorite because of the birthday cake floating down the river.
My wife likes the illustrator, too. The color reproduction in this edition doesn't seem that great, but part of that may just be Tasha Tudor's love of pastels.
Heidi
Apr 14, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it
My friend, Maryann, introduced me to Tasha Tudor at a quilt group meeting last week. I'm glad she did. This is a sweet little book referring back to a simpler time. I often wonder if it was simpler, or if people just delighted in the simple things. I still think it is possible to live a simple life even in our day and age. I think there's real magic in this mindset.
Kris Irvin
Sep 29, 2011 Kris Irvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Yay, my copy finally came in from the library! A really cute book. It reminds me a lot of Mrs. Sharp's Victorian Traditions, only for kids. I like Tasha Tudor's artwork a lot, but think the children's faces could be a little more details.
Lisa Zocharski
Mar 23, 2011 Lisa Zocharski rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood books. Given to me as a birthday present in 1977 because my birthday was in August, just like the little girls. 29 years later, I gave my book to my daughter when she turned 7 - also in August.
Linda
Dec 30, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, art
Tasha Tudor takes the reader through a year of holiday and family traditions. Beautifully illustrated throughout, A Time to Keep is still a favorite book to browse through some 30 years after I first picked it up.
Nicola
Dec 29, 2012 Nicola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book. It made me all nostalgic for a time that probably never really existed (and even if it did, I definately don't remember it!). It was my first Tasha Tudor book and now I want more.
Athelia
Jan 20, 2009 Athelia rated it it was amazing
This is one of my childhood favorites because of the amazing pictures and the nostalgia that it musters when I read about "the good old days" and the charms and magic it has . . . :)
Dianna
Jul 21, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pictures as usual from Tasha Tudor and beautiful traditions as well in this book that tells of old-fashioned holiday celebrations throughout the year.
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A charming look at holidays as celebrated in the past. Most charming. (Note: there are a couple of politically incorrect illustrations ... just to be aware)
Ash
Nov 20, 2014 Ash rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-and-ya
I love Tasha Tudor and this book did not disappoint! Beautiful illustrations and a great story. I would have cherished this book as a little girl.
Nicole
Oct 17, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing
A great book for kids with beautiful illistrations. Makes me wish we still did such simple and fun things with our kids.
Alycia
Jul 27, 2011 Alycia rated it liked it
This has the best illustrations throughout the whole book! I especially enjoyed all the little Corgis. Very cute.
Sasha
Feb 17, 2009 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Tasha Tudor is one of my all-time favorite illustrators. I love anything she does. This book is an absolute delight!
Megan
This book takes you back 150 years or so to see what family celebrations were like throughout a year.
ABC
Mar 22, 2008 ABC rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
Gorgeous illustrations~~they really take you back in time. The text can be a little too old-fashioned.
Haley Burakowski
Jul 24, 2013 Haley Burakowski rated it it was amazing
The most beautiful children's book I've ever read, a classic visual masterpiece
Jill
Sep 23, 2010 Jill rated it it was amazing
Checked this out from the library but I reaaly need my own copy. Perfect.
Elizabeth
Oct 06, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids
I love this book because I learned to read from it.
  • Tasha Tudor's Garden
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • Linnea in Monet's Garden
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • The Storm Book
  • The Night Before Valentine's Day (Reading Railroad Books)
  • Cranberry Christmas
  • Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs
Tasha Tudor was an American illustrator and author of children's books.
More about Tasha Tudor...