Start by marking “The Private World of Tasha Tudor” as Want to Read:
The Private World of Tasha Tudor

The Private World of Tasha Tudor

Tasha Tudor has written and illustrated more than seventy-five beloved children's books since her first, Pumpkin Moonshine, in 1938. Now seventy-seven years old, she lives on a farm in southern Vermont, where she has recreated an early Victorian world. To capture this intimate portrait of Tasha Tudor, photographer Richard Brown followed her throughout a year on her farm. ...more
Published October 28th 1992 by Little, Brown and Company

Star of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteBest Recipes from Eastern Europe by Sahara SandersLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls WilderFarmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Longing for the Country Life
90th out of 175 books — 36 voters
1 Is One by Tasha TudorA Time to Keep by Tasha TudorMother Goose by Tasha TudorAround the Year by Tasha TudorFirst Poems of Childhood. by Tasha (illus).  Tasha) Tudo...
Best of Tasha Tudor
23rd out of 66 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

May 06, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Gush, gush. I guess I've become one of those crazy fans of fill-in-the-blank-dead-author who thinks about attending conventions dedicated to them, or at least visiting their museum. Tudor's my kind of gal. The best part of this book (in comparison to its counterparts, Tasha Tudor's Garden, Tasha Tudor's Heirloom Crafts, Forever Christmas, etc.) is that she wrote many parts of it, so you get her voice, not just someone's impression of her "Yankee practicality". What was most shocking to me was ...more
Melinda
Dec 15, 2009 Melinda rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful companion book to read after Bethany Tudor's sweet biography of her mother, "Drawn from New England". (see my review at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... ).
Photographs provide a beautiful view of those things Tasha loves and also gives more insight into Tasha Tudor as an artist.

Fascinatingly enough, Tasha creates art as she goes through her day! She does not have an artist's studio, she paints at a table in the corner of her kitchen. Everything she turns her hand
Poiema
Oct 14, 2008 Poiema rated it really liked it
I had a rush of memories after reading about Tasha Tudor's death last week, and I headed to the bookshelf to pull out my well-worn copy of this book to reminisce. It was the ONLY book that engaged my daughter Joy when she was a toddler. Her older siblings sat in my lap by the hour as we read book after book. Not Joy. She displayed an independent spirit from the first and would grab the book out of my hand while announcing, "I read it MYSELF!" Then she would run to a quiet corner somewhere and ...more
Brenda Cregor
May 31, 2015 Brenda Cregor rated it it was amazing
Tasha Tudor...doesn't that sound like the name of someone who would live life as if in the 1830's?
This sweet determined creative amazing lady has sucked the marrow out of the bones of life in the most unassuming quiet manner.
I used to imagine that when I was old, I would style my hair in two long salt and pepper braids and go into the desert and paint sun-bleached cow skulls and giant flowers in O'Keefe style.
After reading this simple book, I would much rather wear long antique skirts and pet
Kecia
Sep 17, 2007 Kecia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who think they "can't live without" stuff
Shelves: life_stories
A lovely book about a woman who lives life on her own terms. I wish there was more of her story....it's way to short!
Rachel
Dec 02, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book!! Wonderful pictures! I wish it were longer! I was glued to this book, I just thought I would read a few pages before going to sleep, and I ended up reading the whole thing in an hour and a half. And I wish I knew about her when I was growing up, but I am glad I know about her now. I too have felt just like her, having a love for old fashioned things and feeling as if I might belong in the 1800s. This woman is inspiring and it makes me hope that someday I can be living like ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 03, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Tasha Tudor was a woman of the past with progressive ideals. I gave this book 4 stars for the opportunity to peak into her artistic genius as an illustrator, bohemian lifestyle without really ever knowing her obviously profound life.
Jennifer Heise
Sep 28, 2016 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
So pretty. The photographer captured the way in which Mistress Tudor shaped her lifestyle to resemble the illustrations she so beautifully made. Pictures of her house and gardens, the dolls and marionettes she's made, and the beautiful vintage clothing she collects, wears, and lends to friends, as well as her corgis, goats, cat and doves. If you liked Tasha Tudor's illustrations or the photos in the old Victoria magazine, this is for you.
Danette
Jul 29, 2015 Danette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the most beautiful and peaceful books I have ever read. And the photography must be experienced.
Tasha dressed in her antiquated clothing, lived off the land, designed and tended gorgeous gardens,surrounded herself with her beloved animals and was content with herself and the world around her. Something to be aspired to. This remarkable woman wrote and illustrated more than 75 children's books.

A favorite quote from this book:
"Why do women want to dress like men when they're fortuna
Ellen
Tasha was her own woman. Lead her own life the way she wanted to. Did lovely watercolours and children's book illustrations and anthropomorphized her dolls among other things. Her dolls sent her children letters (which of course were miniature) and had the best wardrobes. Also made puppets and did puppet shows. Collected 19th C ladies clothing and wore many an old dress or sewed new versions of old dresses. Fabulous gardens. At one point she had 14 corgis because she loved them. Liked to do ...more
Dianna
Feb 06, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing
This book just fascinates me. Sometimes I dream of turning against the times and living like they did two hundred years ago, but Tasha Tudor has actually done it. This book is fairly informal, just like she were talking to you. I love the little quotes that pepper her conversation, and her strong, original opinions and common sense. The photos add so much to the book too, showing her in the beautiful setting she has created for herself.

Definitely recommended if you like her work or if you like
Linda
Dec 30, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, christmas, bio-memoir
For those of us who absolutely love the illustrated children's books of Tasha Tudor, photographer Richard Brown captures the woman and her world beautifully. Born in 1915, Ms Tudor introduced faithful readers to a world she skillfully crafted and maintained - some of the Christmas traditions I introduced to my own family were first viewed through her book Take Joy, and those same traditions remain some of my children's favorite Christmas memories.

I very much enjoyed this 1992 edition of a belov
Melissa
Aug 05, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Picked this off Grammie's shelf as we were headed for the car and read it on the way to Anacortes. Tasha Tudor! I had no idea what a beautiful eccentricity she is. I think I thought, ignorantly, that the books really had been written in the nineteenth century. I wish I'd written down some quotes because she says all kinds of wonderful things in here, describing her marionette shows, insisting on always using the lovelier, common names for all her plants, off-handedly saying she likes men but ...more
Vanessa
Dec 30, 2011 Vanessa rated it really liked it
This book was more photos than writing. It chronicled Tasha Tudor's (a children's book writer and illustrator) daily life. She lives her life as though she is in the 1830's, carrying water on her shoulders, weaving, working in the garden, milking her goats. It is a quaint, comfort read all around and gave me good ideas for the idyllic messy garden I will someday have. It also reminds me to live in the present and enjoy earthly things.
Carly
Feb 08, 2008 Carly rated it it was amazing
Tasha Tudor is an author/illustrator of many children's books, but I think she is best known for living in an early 1800s style. This book lets you look at the seasons through this amazing woman's life. The pictures are amazing, but the descriptions are helpful and insightful as well. If you have ever been interested in the "long ago" this book is for you. The beauty of this woman's life makes us all ready to forsake all modern "conveniences" and go live with her.
The Lost Lola
Jul 30, 2013 The Lost Lola rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
I love this woman. What an amazing individual who really embraces self-sufficiency and maintaining such a incredible personality. She truly lives her own life in her own world full of visiting mice, foul-mouthed parrots, vintage garb, one-eyed cats, marionette theaters, and corgis galore. I want to curl up for the winter inside her home as she weaves tales of Corgiville, capturing rogue rats, and a life lived in appreciation of the simpler things.
Clara
Mar 31, 2013 Clara rated it it was amazing
A beautifully photographed window into the world of the late Tasha Tudor. I was not disappointed at all in the number or quality of images. The text was very interesting as well. One memorable part is where Ms. Tudor brings up Einstein's theories of space/time with the idea of "looping back" to the 1830's! One cannot help but admire someone living life so authentically on their own terms, not the forced terms of society or "civilization".
Joy
Jun 10, 2015 Joy rated it it was amazing
My grandparents gave me The Private World of Tasha Tudor for Christmas several years ago. I'd never heard of Tasha Tudor or her books, but I immediately adored her! The photos are breathtakingly gorgeous, and Tasha herself comments on her farm and her particular way of life throughout the book. I love that she lived her own life on her terms, the way she wanted. She was her own person; an original. A beautiful book coffetable photo book I can't stop looking through! :)
Sue Shuppy
Jun 19, 2008 Sue Shuppy rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites, this is a look at yesteryear. The photography is amazing and you will really grow an appreciation for this lovely lady and her world. Tasha is an illustrator of children's books who lives basically in the past. She is sure she should have been born in the 1800's. She dresses in the period and keeps a beautiful old fashioned garden. Indoors is more of the same. I absolutely love this book.
Lisa
Nov 07, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
Years ago, at some idealistic and dream-filled stage of my life, I wanted very much to live a life like Tasha Tudor. That's when I began searching out books about her. I can still appreciate her resourcefulness, creativity and simpleness--though with her death, it's a way of life you'd be hard pressed to find much anymore.
Heidi
May 26, 2013 Heidi rated it liked it
Love the photography and the story of the authentic life well lived.

Tasha Tudor's life philosophy comes from one of my favorites, Henry David Thoreau: "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
Melissa Shreve
Aug 29, 2008 Melissa Shreve rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. She is a cute little old lady. I was interested in the pictures of her beautiful home and her art work. She loves nature....you can feel it in her pictures that she shares. I also found out that she has written and illustrated many children books. I loved this book...I would love to meet her in person.
Miss Lemon
Jun 03, 2016 Miss Lemon rated it really liked it
A sweet book -- the photo's are very 1980s looking --- couldn't quite tell you why but there's something about the outfits, hairsytles of the children, something. But the book is a nice 'escape.' Lovely little scenario's and thoughts from Tasha Tudor along with her drawings. The perfect book to flip back and forth through on a quiet Sunday afternoon with a cup of tea and a cat on your lap.
Kris Irvin
Nov 19, 2010 Kris Irvin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kayla Child
I have actually never heard of Tasha Tudor before, but after reading several blogs whose authors loved her work I decided to check her out. This book is pretty old, but it was worth a read. I am interested now in learning more about Ms. Tudor and checking out some of her books (specifically, Corgiville books because Corgis are the bomb.)
Caroline
Jan 17, 2014 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2014
This is a window into the life of author and illustrator Tasha Tudor. She lived a simple, hardworking life on her beautiful farm in Vermont, and her own words illustrate these lovely photographs. Despite all this beauty, I notice a rather self-centered and godless worldview. It's a strange combination, but there is still much to enjoy here.
Carol
May 01, 2009 Carol rated it it was amazing
Tasha just died at her cabin in Vermont a year or so ago.
She lived as one would in years gone by with her Corgi dogs. She said that she kept healthy and lived so long by "nursing" a mere cup of soup for the
entire day of working in her gardens. A woman with the courage to live
the way she wants without bowing to others. She made her chintz dresses worn with lace collar and brooch.
Andrea
Apr 06, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I have always loved her children's books and illustrations. I had no idea that she lives her life as if it were 1830. What a lovely woman and a lovely book full of beautiful pictures of domestic life and gardens.
Cindi
Nov 01, 2008 Cindi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, amazing-people
Magnificent. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Well centered and calming and beautiful.

I had never registered the name of Tasha Tudor until recently when we checked out Pumpkin Moonshine. I decided that I wanted to read more and came upon this volume. Six stars, even. I liked it that much!
Christine Boyer
Jan 15, 2012 Christine Boyer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Artists, gardeners, antique collectors, teachers
Recommended to Christine by: MaryEllen
Interesting portrait. A photographer took the great photos of her and the text is in her own words from his recordings. She died in 2008 at the age of 93. I want to check out her children's books now. Beautiful artist. She made Martha Stewart look lazy!
Calla
May 20, 2013 Calla rated it really liked it
I so love Tasha Tudor. This book was a fast read and I loved the beautiful photographs. I enjoyed "Tasha Tudors garden" just a little bit more, which is why I only gave this one 5 stars. I wish she were still living. I would take a trip to see her in Vermont.
  • Tasha Tudor's Garden
  • The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • Village in a Valley
  • At Home with Beatrix Potter: The Creator of Peter Rabbit
  • Laura Ingalls Wilder Country: The People and Places in Laura Ingalls Wilder's Life and books
  • Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses
  • Trowel and Error: Over 700 Organic Remedies, Shortcuts, and Tips for the Gardener
  • The Gift of the Deer
  • The House on the Cliff
  • Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Classic Children's Tales
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden
  • From the Ground Up: The Story of a First Garden
  • The Solitary Summer
  • Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes
  • The Old Bank House
  • Castles in the Air: The Restoration Adventures of Two Young Optimists and a Crumbling Old Mansion
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • Fanny Burney: A Biography
Tasha Tudor was an American illustrator and author of children's books.
More about Tasha Tudor...

“You should see my corgis at sunset in the snow. It's their finest hour. About five o'clock they glow like copper. Then they come in and lie in front of the fire like a string of sausages.” 20 likes
“I enjoy solitude. It's probably selfish, but why bother about it. Life is much too important, as Oscar Wilde said, to be taken seriously. I feel so sorry for those mothers who are devastated by loneliness when their children fly the coop and don't want to live at home anymore. They feel lost, but look what exciting things can be done. Life isn't long enough to do all you could accomplish. And what a privilege to be alive. In spite of all the pollutions and horrors, how beautiful this world is. Supposing you only saw the stars once every year. Think what you would think. The wonder of it!” 9 likes