Start by marking “Tasha Tudor's Garden” as Want to Read:
Tasha Tudor's Garden

Tasha Tudor's Garden

Tasha Tudor's poignant art has fascinated adults and children for decades. Her nineteenth-century New England lifestyle is legendary. Gardeners are especially intrigued by the profusion of antique flowers -- spectacular poppies, six-foot foxgloves, and intoxicating peonies -- in the cottage gardens surrounding her hand-hewn house. Until now we've only caught glimpses of Ta ...more
Published October 5th 1994 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Tasha Tudor's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tasha Tudor's Garden

Hana

Once upon a time in a little town in Vermont, an artist named Tasha Tudor created a fantasy world--a house and a garden lost in time. This magnificently illustrated book tells the story.

The picture above is of the garden at its glorious June peak, but there is beauty in all the seasons and part of what I love about this book is that it starts in the deep, dark cold of the New England winter when great snow drifts mean tunneling out through the back door to give the corgis' their romp in the snow
April Wood
Jan 10, 2014 April Wood rated it it was amazing
"Tasha never wastes a leaf: The spoils are fed to the hens. And that, in a nutshell is Tasha's philosophy of life. Not a moment, not an action, not a leaf is ever wasted."

I love Tasha's way of thinking, and her way of life in general. This book was nothing but inspiring, full of beautiful photography of her lush gardens, photographed by Richard W. Brown, and Tasha's personal anecdotes, written and told by Tovah Martin.

One of my favorites was that Tasha doesn't shovel her walkways during the win
Debbie
Mar 24, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
The Joy of Beauty

Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong century. I sometimes fantasize about living in a hand-hewn cozy cottage with a wood-fired cooking stove apart from the noise and congestion of city life. I would love to bake my own bread, raise my own laying hens, milk my own nanny goats and make yogurt and cheese. I would love to rely solely on my hardy pioneer stock and bypass technology (save for the ease with which I could obtain the basic necessities of life…and probably indoor plu
Liz
May 24, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden-books
This is a book I am going to buy, sooner or later. I’m having a hard time taking it back to the library! I had heard of Tasha Tudor, of course, as an author/illustrator of children’s books, but I had no idea at all what her private life was about. Tasha lives in Vermont, on a private and remote acreage, in a house built by her son Seth. Seth used the old-fashioned ways – hand tools – to craft a replica of a traditional New England farmhouse, and his mother lives by those traditional ways, cookin ...more
Linda Robinson
Apr 28, 2012 Linda Robinson rated it liked it
The garden and the house are incredibly beautiful, bordering magical, like Tudor's work. Tasha Tudor's rich and wide children's book world could have been brought to life near the end of the magical writer's life with the same legerdemain she brought to her books. And I wonder was it Tasha Tudor's decision to only be photographed in profile? I hope so, otherwise it's just effect.
Kristina Seleshanko
Apr 06, 2014 Kristina Seleshanko rated it really liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Tasha Tudor was an amazing woman with an amazing garden. It's pretty tough not to be inspired by the garden - and the little, aging lady who managed it almost entirely by herself. (Although, I sometimes feel like a slug compared to this little lady who was always so busy doing everything from cooking and preserving to digging and using the scythe!)
Lisa
Nov 07, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
Ms. Tudor passed away this past summer.I have loved her illustrations since my grandmother introduced them to me as a child--my first book of "Secret Garden" was illustrated by Tasha Tudor. Hearing about her passing I pulled out my collection of books chronicling her interesting way of life and enjoyed them all over again.
Ian
Jan 25, 2016 Ian rated it really liked it
Delightful, though you get the sense that Tasha herself is not entirely easy to get along with. This shows the best side of what makes so many newcomers chafe at old New England: a quiet, stubborn insistence on doing things the way they've been done, and ought to be done, and done in a very particular way. Tasha was already long an anachronism in 1994, saving it from feeling at all dated. Charming.
Jill
Apr 21, 2016 Jill rated it liked it
A journey through a year in the Vermont gardens of Tasha Tudor. The photographs are beautiful and the writing has a familiar tone. This is not a how-to book but more of a tour, though you could use the names of plants and ideas to create your own garden in a similar style.

Clark
May 13, 2014 Clark rated it it was amazing
I don't reread many books but this great book will be reread by me over and over. I loved when Tasha kept here home so warm in the winter and said she believed in staying warm. Somehow I find comfort in that.
ThePinkCarrot
May 18, 2014 ThePinkCarrot rated it really liked it
Tasha had enormous energy -- How did she do it?! Nice photos, cute stories.
Tonia Peckover
Jun 03, 2016 Tonia Peckover rated it it was amazing
The annual re-read. For inspiration. Never fails.
Pat Williams
Carol
Nov 17, 2008 Carol rated it really liked it
Recommended to Carol by: Carol W
Shelves: biography, art
If you ever wondered what Frances Hodgson Burnett's Secret Garden might look like in real life, you can catch a glimpse of it through the eyes of Tasha Tudor, the renowned children's book illustrator, who cultivated the lavish floral landscapes featured in this book. Once you have enjoyed the photographs by Richard W. Brown (you will wish there were more), come back and read Tovah Martin's description of Tasha and her vision, a feast in itself.
Tessa
Apr 28, 2012 Tessa rated it really liked it
So, I have to confess that I was disposed to like this book because I want to live in Tasha's world. Heck, I want to BE Tasha Tudor. This was a delightful romp although it wasn't what I'd call wildly informative. It was pleasant and I enjoyed reading it. One odd thing that bugged me was that the photo captions never explained who the little girls were. I'm guessing grandaughters? Dumb little thing but overall the book was a nice read for Tudor fans.
Emily
Nov 02, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: armchair gardeners
Recommended to Emily by: Victoria magazine
One of several Tasha Tudor "documentary" books from the 1990's, celebrating her lifestyle in rural Vermont, e.g. wearing 1830's style clothing, using a wood-fired stove for cooking and warmth, making pies, jellies, jams, and so on. This book describes her gardening and landscaping pursuits on the farm.
Jan 28, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Lovely book for Tasha Tudor fans, gardeners looking for inspiration, and those interested in a bygone way of life in New England. Tasha's got more of an edge than you might expect in such a tiny person who dresses in 19th Century garb, which makes me respect her all the more. Yay yankee toughness!
Linda
Jan 24, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, flowers
Fascinating book about a fascinating women/artist, interesting information, lovely photos and drawings.
Brenda Cregor
Jul 18, 2010 Brenda Cregor rated it really liked it
I keep tracing the photographs of Tasha's incredible garden with my thumbs...with the hope they will transform from their dull shade of brown to a crisp kelly green. :0)
Jo Ellen
May 05, 2012 Jo Ellen rated it really liked it
Well written and the pictures are gorgeous! I liked reading about the gardens and also learning about this rather eccentric woman. It is a book I would like to own.
Mary Wescott
Jul 02, 2008 Mary Wescott rated it really liked it
I only wish there were more hours in the day to be good at everything I would like to be. Gardening has completely eluded me, but I enjoy other peoples talents
Kathleen
Jun 07, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it
The photographs are a solid 5+ but the text left me somewhat unsatisfied. A beautiful picto memory of dear Tasha!
Sharon
Jul 07, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Love cottage gardens and this is the Mistress of Cottage Gardens! A must read. Awesome photographs!
Karen Floyd
Aug 07, 2013 Karen Floyd rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
A conversational book full of garden talk and Tudorisms. The photos by Richard Brown are gorgeous.
Calla
May 01, 2013 Calla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: everyday-beauty
Beautiful! I love Tasha Tudor and the life she led. I would love to visit her homestead.
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison rated it it was amazing
I just remembered this book, which I read years ago and still have, loved it.
Marilynn Shea
Fabulous Gardens..a profusion of color & blooms...just my cup of tea...
Katy
Jul 03, 2008 Katy rated it it was amazing
Lovely, lovely book that makes me want a farmhouse and stone walls. :)
Tracy
Aug 04, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Lovely book with gorgeous photos. A quick read, rich with visual inspiration.
  • The Private World of Tasha Tudor
  • The Essential Earthman: Henry Mitchell on Gardening
  • Down the Garden Path
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
  • Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening