Start by marking “Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress” as Want to Read:
Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress

Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The book provides 36 patterns and full step-by-step instructions, detailed diagrams and photographs that show the finished garments worn by real people. There is also general advice on choosing materials, construction methods, and an insight into the Tudor tailor's sewing kit.
Published April 1st 2006 by Costume & Fashion Press/Quite Specific Media

To ask other readers questions about Tudor Tailor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tudor Tailor

100 Dresses by Harold KodaUnderwear by Eleri LynnHigh Style by Jan ReederTextiles and Clothing  by Elisabeth CrowfootCostume by John Peacock
The Meaning of Clothing
10th out of 95 books — 20 voters
Corsets and Crinolines by Norah WaughCostume Close-Up by Linda BaumgartenPatterns of Fashion 3 by Janet ArnoldPeriod Costume for Stage and Screen by Jean HunnisettHow to Make Sewing Patterns by Donald H. McCunn
Costuming Aids
6th out of 45 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 12, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although this is a book mainly aimed at people interested in reconstructing and making period clothing, it is also a valuable resource for anyone interested in learning more about the types of clothing people wore and how these clothes were made during the Tudor times.

I have wanted to read this book for a long time and was very lucky to have a friend lend it to me for the week. The moment I got my hands on the book and started to read I was engrossed. The beginning of the book explores the type
Zara
Feb 27, 2015 Zara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical costumers and historical writers
Ninya Mikhaila and Jane Malcom-Davies, among others, have written a wonderful book about the clothes worn in Tudor England. It contains plenty of historical sources: extracts from wills and bills; paintings; engravings and effigies. The research they've done is fascinating. It has loads of information that is useful and interesting, such as drawings of typical clothes for men, women, nobles and ordinary people for each decade or so. It also has a table with different types of fabric, a descripti ...more
Gaile
Oct 19, 2011 Gaile rated it it was amazing
This book explains Tudor fashion throughout the 16th century based on paintings, letters and the few garments from the period still surviving. Garments for both men and women are described from head to toe. Pictures of examples abound through out the book. Construction is explained. Patterns and directions are provided for making the garments although the patterns are not full sized. They are rather doll sized which I think would be fun for dressing a doll. To make full sized costumes, you would ...more
Ash
Mar 06, 2014 Ash rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of book you could happily sit and read as well as work from. It not only covers the garments (with patterns for men and women of all major styles within the time period) but what they should be made of, in what colours, how they should be worn and accessorised, and most importantly where all that information came from and how it was interpreted. It's a good history book as well as a good costuming book, and that is rare.
snowgray
The actual reading portion of this book is brief; someone looking for a long, well-documented study of clothing in the Tudor period would be left hungry. However, the book gives a strong overview of Tudor clothing habits, backed up by documentation both secondary (contemporary paintings) and primary (actual clothing). Furthermore, it includes patterns that can be sized up to create a few basic items of the Tudor wardrobe, with "Henrician" and "Elizabethan" variants. The written directions are so ...more
Tina
Oct 01, 2015 Tina rated it it was amazing
I love this, it is a great guide.
Clear and simple with good photos, illustrations, tips and advice.
As I am currently in costume mode it has spurred me on.
Definitely worth buying a copy to add to my resources.
Jun 08, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

This is by far the most in depth book about all aspects of Tudor period clothing; it would be excellent for re-enactors/period dresses (costumes) as it goes into great depth explaining how things were made & worn.

It isn't so much a picture book, so don't buy it if you're expecting luscious colour photos of historic clothing. But if you're interested in the Tudor Period, especially the fashion, then this is definitely the best book that I have personally come across.
R.W. Hansen
Jan 02, 2009 R.W. Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some great construction techniques. The costumes themselves can be somewhat plain, which might be historically accurate but that depends on the character you are playing. If playing higher nobility the difference in station can be easily remedied by the costumer. Other that that the book was very good. Ninya includes many patterns that just need to be blown up to the appropriate size. Overall this is a must have for any re-enactor or cosumer of the Tudor Era.
Erin Lubin
Apr 24, 2010 Erin Lubin rated it it was amazing
Great guide to the construction of Tudor clothing. It starts out with a narrative on what was typical in the way of clothing during that time and follows up with tutorials on how to make specific items of clothing. I was so excited to get this as a gift since I love to make Renaissance clothing but sometimes struggle to determine what was usual during that time period.
CJ
Jul 19, 2009 CJ rated it really liked it
A good book for what Tudor-era people wore and how these articles might have been made. Includes several suits for the peasants and middle class as well as the elite. The patterns, along with those of Jean Hunnisett, look to be do-able. I hope to try in the future.
Misty  Bourlart
I've been waiting a long time to get my hands on this book. The patterns within are very well researched and the pictures are as inspirational as can be.

I cannot wait to get started on my first Tudor gown using this book as one of my master references.
Ruth
Jul 21, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Costumers and people interested in History
Recommended to Ruth by: Andra
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Fabulously useful (but not if you have NO sewing experience. Definitely not for beginners. The pictures are gorgeous, the text paints a great picture of the times, and the patterns are excellent. I can't wait to make something out of this book!
Rebekah Lewis
If you like Tudor fashion you need this book. End of story, no questions asked.

There are patterns to draft, instructions, close up beautiful photos, information on dye, jewelry and all that fun stuff! YOU NEED THIS BOOK
Caroline
May 09, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic combination of technical and historical reading, combining the patterns and know-how needed to recreate authentic costumes with the social history of clothing. Fascinating and invaulable in equal measure!
Miriam
Jan 11, 2009 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, costuming
Good book as a patterning resource. It was lacking on its information on Henrican sleeves (over and false ones) but I found the website made up for that lack.
Desiree Mae
Aug 20, 2012 Desiree Mae rated it really liked it
Shelves: costuming
Great costuming book. I would however love to see if it would change anything given the recent discovery of Renaissance Period bras.
Lauren Scheier
Apr 02, 2014 Lauren Scheier rated it it was amazing
The history portion of this book was fantastic. I can't wait to dive in and start using the patterns!
Llyra karow
Apr 13, 2008 Llyra karow rated it really liked it
Great costumeing book:)
Leslie
Jun 21, 2007 Leslie marked it as to-read
I want!
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Yissel
Yissel marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Sandra Vasoli
Sandra Vasoli rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Baspren
Baspren rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Tanja
Tanja rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Amanda Harvey
Amanda Harvey marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Elle
Elle rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Jann Norman
Jann Norman marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kelly Hatcher
Kelly Hatcher rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Linda Hiemstra
Linda Hiemstra marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
  • Patterns of Fashion 3: The Cut and Construction of Clothes for Men and Women, C.1560-1620
  • The Medieval Tailor's Assistant: Making Common Garments 1200-1500
  • Corsets and Crinolines
  • Costume Close-Up: Clothing Construction and Pattern, 1750-1790
  • Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • The Victorian Tailor: Techniques and Patterns for Making Historically Accurate Period Clothes for Gentlemen
  • Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • Underwear: Fashion in Detail
  • Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harper's Bazar, 1867-1898
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • 100 Dresses: The Costume Institute / The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • The Costume Technician's Handbook: A Complete Guide for Amateur and Professional