Start by marking “A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby Village, #14)” as Want to Read:
A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby Village, #14)

A Restless Evil (Mitchell and Markby #14)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The officer on duty at Bamford police station is skeptical when he takes a call from Guy Morgan. Morgan claims to have stumbled upon human bones in Stovey Woods in the heart of the Cotswalds, but surely animal bones are more likely? Morgan, though, is a doctor as well as a hiker, and he knows exactly what he's found.

It sends a shiver down Detective Alan Markby's spine when
Published December 4th 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Restless Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Restless Evil

Joanne
Shirley Schwartz
I usually love Mitchell and Markby stories, but this book is not Ms. Granger's best in this series. In this book Meredith and Alan are house hunting, and they end up in a pokey little village called Upper Stovey. Not much goes on in this backward little village, but while they are there someone discovers human bones in Stovey Woods. Markby has been in Upper Stovey before. Twenty-two years ago he was hunting a serial rapist who was nicknamed The Potato Man. They did not find the perpetrator then, ...more
May 10, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for long commutes--I really enjoy the audio versions of the Mitchell/Markby series.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Unsurprisingly I thought this was another enjoyable book from Ann Granger. This series is getting long but it's not getting boring or predictable. Though Granger does tend to stay with much the same kind of format for the stories they are all individual enough to make them interesting reads.

In this book Alan and Meredith are house hunting in the dead end village of Lower Stovey when Meredith comes across a dead body (I've got to the point with this series where I no longer worry about realism a

Gerry
Dec 14, 2011 Gerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 22-year-old brutal serial rape case was unresolved in the Cotswold village of Lower Stovey. Alan Markby investigated at the time and was disappointed not to end up with a conviction. But 22 years on he, now Detective Superintendent Alan Markby, and his girlfriend Meredith Mitchell were looking at property in the village when, coincidentally of course, a murder took place in the local church and in addition some human bones were found in Stovey Woods, the scene of the multiple rapes of years ag ...more
Gary Van Cott
I thought the previous two books in this series were better than many that had preceded them. However, this one was back to the "just ok" mode. The next book is the final one in the series. I hope it will be better.
Annette Meier
Sep 22, 2015 Annette Meier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow to start, but then really captured my attention! A hidden gem of a series, I'd nearly forgotten about.
Susan
May 07, 2009 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
Alan Markby has always been disturbed by his failure, as a young detective, to find the rapist known as the Potato Man. Now bones have been discovered in the woods that were the Potato Man's haunt. Could they be a victim, or did the rapes stop with the Potato Man's death? Then a harmless newcomer to the village nearby is killed. Alan's fiancee, Meredith Mitchell, talks to the victim's friend, and gradually learns enough about the relationships in the village to endanger her. Topflight British co ...more
Carol Peace
A very enjoyable mystery, when bones are found in Stovey woods and old case resurfaces. Who do the bones belong to and are they connected to the rape cases 22years ago. The rapist went to ground after the fifth rape and the case was unsolved. The finding of the bones sets the police thinking they have to be the reason. They are then confronted with another body and it is a murder and in the church. Who is the murderer and why. The outcome is very good and in some ways unexpected. Good book.
Carmen
May 03, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was highly entertaining. The subplot is house hunting, and I have done my share of that, so I enjoyed it. They were able to solve a 30 year old rapist case and a death. Don't we all wish these old cases could be solved?
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
yet another great entry in the series. sadly this is next to last. i have only one more mitchell and markby mystery to read. i hope granger will come back to this series.
Mary
Very good novel for the genre, cozy English police procedural in a series which has maintained its quality over the years.

Michael
May 19, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
kept my interest right through to the end.what more can you ask for from a book.a good read.
Margaret
May 21, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First one by this Author. Not my usual read but it was good.
Made a change and an easy read.
Andrea Sachs
My first Ann Granger mystery, but not my last. I like her writing.
Bettie☯
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Bev Wire
Bev Wire rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Jean
Jean added it
Jan 24, 2016
Cookie
Cookie rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Sandy
Sandy added it
Jan 16, 2016
Tahera.Hussainiyahoo.Com
Tahera.Hussainiyahoo.Com marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Ann Yonk
Ann Yonk rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Reelika Raimet
Reelika Raimet marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
  • Yellow Iris: A Short Story (Hercule Poirot)
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • The Tarnished Chalice (Matthew Bartholomew, #12)
  • Nowhere Girl (Cate Austin, #4)
  • A Small Weeping
  • Murder in the Rue de Paradis (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #8)
  • Dark Water (Anderson & Costello, #3)
  • Gone to Ground (Will Grayson and Helen Walker, #1)
  • Naakte zielen
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • Where the Devil Can't Go (Kiszka and Kershaw, #1)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Dead Silent (Calladine & Bayliss, #2)
  • Stealing People
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...

Mitchell and Markby (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2)
  • Cold in the Earth (Mitchell and Markby Village, #3)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • Where Old Bones Lie (Mitchell and Markby Village, #5)
  • A Fine Place for Death (Mitchell and Markby Village, #6)
  • Flowers for His Funeral (Mitchell and Markby Village, #7)
  • Candle for a Corpse (Mitchell and Markby Village, #8)
  • A Touch of Mortality (Mitchell and Markby Village, #9)
  • A Word After Dying (Mitchell and Markby, #10)