Start by marking “Infamous Reign (Hellequin Chronicles, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Infamous Reign (Hellequin Chronicles, #2.5)

Infamous Reign (Hellequin Chronicles #2.5)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  1,244 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In late 15th century England, two young princes are given over by Merlin to the protection of their uncle, King Richard III. They soon vanish from sight, igniting tales of their demise at Richard’s hand and breeding unrest throughout the land.

Published December 8th 2013 by Steve McHugh (first published December 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Infamous Reign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infamous Reign

Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
187th out of 705 books — 1,202 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussBlood Song by Anthony  RyanThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussPrince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceThe Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. Boroson
First Person Fantasy Sci Fi
163rd out of 182 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Wow, this novella is so action-packed, it feels like a full-length book! I seriously love this series now. The magic is fantastic and McHugh clearly knows his legends. Nate is a guy I would love defending me, but I'd hate to have as an enemy. This is a series not to be missed.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
Liz Barnsley
Jan 08, 2014 Liz Barnsley rated it it was amazing
Thank you kindly to Steve McHugh for sending me this and helping me with my chronic impatience.

Nathanial Garrett, also known as Hellequin, is sent to London to decipher fact from rumor and uncovers a plot to replace the king. But his investigation quickly b
Dec 11, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
If you've already stepped into the world of Hellequin via Crimes Against Magic and Born of Hatred, you'll be completely unsurprised to learn that this novella is awesome. If you have yet to experience the pleasure of reading the first two novels, you're in luck - you can jump right in here and get a feel for the Hellequin world before you (inevitably) read them both!

Steve's writing is a real treat to any fan of fantasy literature, especiwlly fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but his novels al
Victoria
Mar 06, 2016 Victoria rated it liked it
A nice little short. Looking forward to the next book.
Marilsa Fernandez
Oct 26, 2016 Marilsa Fernandez rated it really liked it
i love this book. It has a little of everything.
Elusive
Oct 05, 2016 Elusive rated it it was ok
Not very interesting at all tbh.
Andrew Griffiths
Oct 02, 2016 Andrew Griffiths rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides Context

Being a novella it is inevitably short, but provides quite a lot of context to remarks made in books later in the novel sequence. Worth a read to flesh out the overarching plot further.
Chrissey Harrison
Dec 11, 2013 Chrissey Harrison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, dark-fantasy
An adventure full of the stuff nightmares are made of.

Infamous Reign fills in another chapter from the past of Nathaniel Garrett, hero of McHugh’s Hellequin Chronicles which so far include novels Crimes against Magic and Born of Hatred. While the novels are principally set in the present day, the centuries old sorcerer’s past, and his involvement in historical events is an integral part of the world McHugh creates.

Set 70 years or so after events covered in Crimes Against Magic, Infamous Reign is
Charles
Feb 07, 2014 Charles rated it liked it
I am a total sucker for fantasy novels in an urban setting. I blame The Dresden Files. I’ve read tons of series in this vein. The Nightside, Iron Druid, etc. The Hellequin series is about Nate Garrett, a wizard living in modern England that is several hundreds of years old. The name of the series is just awful. “Hellequin” is Nate’s title, handed down by Merlin (yes, *that* Merlin). Its hard enough telling people you’re reading a book about magic, but the series could at least have a cooler ...more
Joe
Dec 08, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth reading if you follow the series. It's full of action, more than the books themselves even though its just a novella length. Finally got to read some new material after 47north had me waiting practically a year longer than I expected (grrr (_)). Can't get enough of this series, wish the author wrote full time or something so I could see a new book every couple months instead of about once a year.

Summary which has some spoilers:

Basically King Richard III sends the Princes of the
Ami
Dec 22, 2013 Ami rated it really liked it
I discovered Hellequin Chronicles series earlier this year on a whim ... and it ended up as one of an enjoyable urban fantasy series, with male protagonists, I've read so far.

This novella -- unlike the novels, which usually take place between the present and past -- solely set in the past. It was September 1483, and Nathaniel "Hellequin" Garrett visited King Richard III of England after two princes, Edward and Richard, had vanished after being placed in his custody.

I didn't know much about the
D
May 08, 2015 D rated it liked it
This is a pleasant short story that I assume sets up the next book in the series, "Prison of Hope."

I enjoyed the first half, but after that it seemed uninspired, even mechanical...doing the necessary things to finish the story, but that's all.

I guess there were also too many unbelievable twists. The fact that his life long enemy always slips out of whatever seemingly sure death is at hand gets annoying. If they really hated each other so much, they'd stop slinging threats and insults and get o
D
Aug 07, 2016 D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice short story about the Hellequin's past, one that usually cames embedded with a present day story in the bigger books.
I did read it after With Silent Screams but i guess you can read it right after Crimes Against Magic with no spoilers.
Barbara Robinson
Good Novella

Good Novella

I'm already a big fan of the Hellequin novels and this was a nice short story, almost an introduction to the series. I don't like a tell all review so suffice it to say that if a bad ass sorcerer, magic, a twist on mythology and history and a great story is your thing, this and Hellequin should be right up your alley.
Riley
Feb 08, 2014 Riley rated it really liked it
HAHAHA, Hellequin is Back. In a rare move I even pre-bought the new one due out next week. Job well done Steve, just enough action and character interplay to whet our Hellequin appetite. The story was pretty thin, but hey Merlin's hit man is back. Looking forward to the new offering. I hadn't even realized this one was out there. I found it browsing Kindle; bought it and read it in a few hours.
Lynne Robinson
Dec 22, 2015 Lynne Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shame it wasn't longer

A stand alone novella from the Hellequin series. It has a novel spin on the Princes in the Tower mystery. The only bad point was that it was a short story. I have read the series. And in amongst the myriad tales of King Arthur it is totally original. The series is well worth reading.
Robert Brown
Jan 18, 2014 Robert Brown rated it it was amazing
This is a great short-story for the interlude before the third Hellequin novel comes out. Like Kevin Hearne, McHugh understands the readers voracious appetite for a character that has "taken off" in the minds of readers. Shorts like this to help "fill in" Nathaniel's history is the way to go to keep readers wanting more. Keep up the good work McHugh, you've got a winner here so stick with it.
Neils
Feb 22, 2014 Neils rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining additional material

Entertaining additional material

This was a good addition to the Hallequin story. Having not yet read the third novel I can only assume this story was cutting room material that while holding backstory seem like excess bloat.
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
Short fun read, set well before the current series and outside the current series I don't think you'd particularly have to have read the rest of the series to enjoy it. We have both Thomas and Nathaniel working together for SOA. It's action packed and fun.
Jeanne Abbott
Feb 22, 2016 Jeanne Abbott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery of the two princes

I love the way the author mixes in bits of history to tell his story. Having just visited the tower of London, hearing about the two princes who vanished was intriguing
Ken
Dec 09, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Ok interesting not sure overall what this had to do with the whole series. I read book 3 before this one I don't recall anything about this novella(?) in it. Maybe be something in book 4? Still good read!
James
Jan 20, 2014 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Good quick story. I wish more authors would release books like this in-between their larger publications.
Mike
Oct 12, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Quick thoughts: Fun, action packed little story during Hellequin's time as an agent of Avalon. Good historical ties and nice to see more about familiar characters.
Kevin Hjelden
Aug 17, 2015 Kevin Hjelden rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A fun quick read. It didn't really feel like it advanced the main plot of the series very much, but rather was a quick adventure with some of the characters from the series.
Michael Leffel
Dec 17, 2013 Michael Leffel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
great short storey, I always love the flash backs in the Hellequin Chronicles, this is all flashback!
Chompa
Feb 11, 2014 Chompa rated it really liked it
I actually read this one before the second novel, but that's okay. It was just a flashback. Good story.
Stefan
Jan 27, 2016 Stefan rated it really liked it
interesting Background, but Nathan still lacks to be the Badass that he should have been in that time line
Pam Bales
Apr 17, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Enter the world of Hellequin and you are in for a great read. Urban fantasy with mythology and historical fiction thrown in. Give the series a try.
ann fritchie
I need MORE!!!

Steve, broadcaster! We NEED more and more complete plotlines than this. Yes a taste of 2 favorite characters but not enough plot to keep me awake!
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
  • Executable (Demon Accords, #6)
  • Demons LLC (Damned and Cursed Book, #6)
  • Covenant (Sojourner, #2)
  • Last Impressions (The Marnie Baranuik Files #3)
  • Broken Quill (The Reminiscent Exile, #2)
  • Sunset Strip (The Tome of Bill, #4.5)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Sinister Seraphim of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #8)
5819903
Steve's been writing from an early age, his first completed story was done in an English lesson. Unfortunately, after the teacher read it, he had to have a chat with the head of the year about the violent content and bad language. The follow up 'One boy and his frog' was less concerning to his teachers and got him an A.

It wasn't for another decade that he would start work on a full length novel, t
More about Steve McHugh...

Hellequin Chronicles (6 books)
  • Crimes Against Magic (Hellequin Chronicles, #1)
  • Born of Hatred (Hellequin Chronicles, #2)
  • With Silent Screams  (Hellequin Chronicles #3)
  • Prison of Hope  (Hellequin Chronicles #4)
  • Lies Ripped Open (Hellequin Chronicles #5)
  • Promise of Wrath (Hellequin Chronicles, #6)

“That's the thing. Fortunately, she came down with a nasty case of decapitation before she could bite me.” 2 likes
“Blood magic glyphs lit up over his arms and while part of me wanted to finish the job, to stop whatever healing he was trying to perform, I had more important matters. Mordred wasn’t going anywhere until he’d managed to heal himself.” 1 likes