Start by marking “A Question of Consequence” as Want to Read:
A Question of Consequence

Read eBook

A Question of Consequence

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  27 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A provocative novel of religion, politics, good-old-boy corruption, and a little romance thrown in. Gordon Ryan deftly weaves the story of Matthew Sterling and his encounters with corruption in the fictitious Utah community of Snowy Ridge with the eerily similar tale his ancestor, Revolutionary War hero Andrew McBride.
Published May 1st 2004 by Mapletree Publishing Company (first published August 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Question of Consequence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Question of Consequence

Apzmarshl
Oct 01, 2011 Apzmarshl rated it liked it
Recommended to Apzmarshl by: kristine
This book had a great premise. Standing up for what is right is hardly ever easy, and it doesn't mean that you or your image will come out unharmed.

Matt is the assistant city planner. When it looks like the dirty hands of some other city employees are going to come to light, they want to pin the blame on Matt. The current story of Matt's life intertwines with his family history. A distant relative living at the birth of the United States was also faced with having his name slandered.

The story w
Lisa
Oct 26, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok
"A Question of Consequence" is sincerely written, with a meaningful message. That said- this is one of those books that looks good, and sounds good, but falls short of expectations. The writing was bland, trite and predictable.
The story itself was sappy, predictable and altogether un-engaging. There was one plot twist that caught me off guard. Sadly, I felt that it detracted from the story rather than adding to it.

I recommend this book for teenagers, people who like LDS romance novels (Anita Sta
Robynne
Jan 28, 2011 Robynne rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this book - the story was engaging and intriguing. I would have given it 4 stars, but the character's voices were unrealistic - no one really talks like that. Also, I didn't like how both Matthew and Kasia's mothers were kept in the dark about major things going on in their children's lives - it treated them disrespectfully and demeaned them both as mothers and human beings, and characters of the caliber of Matthew and Kasia, as well as their fathers, wouldn't behave like ...more
Tyler
Mar 21, 2009 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Very powerful writing about how regardless of the times we live in, we must make decisions, that even though we know and believe they are right, will still punish an individual. However, we can still rise above the ashes and live a better life witht he lessons learned.
Susan
Aug 02, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
I couldn't even imagine myself in this kind of situation. What would I do? What I learned is that when mud is thrown at us, some of it always sticks. Thank goodness we have a Heavenly Father that cares about us and will help us get through our worst nightmares.
Hilary Bishop
Aug 10, 2013 Hilary Bishop rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this unusual story. It is well written and the research that has gone in to the story is very good. Melding the past into the present and fitting the pieces of the puzzle together is cleverly done. A very good read.
Peg
Aug 26, 2011 Peg rated it really liked it
This was a fun quick read. Being a genealogist I loved the entertwined story from the past paralleling the present to some degree, even better that it included local political intrigue that was quite realistic, sad to say.
Heidi
Jul 21, 2008 Heidi added it
This book started out very good. I thought it was going to be very interesting, but about 100 pages into it, I totally lost interest and honestly, I don't think I'm going to bother finishing it.
Melissa
Feb 26, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Worth reading, but please borrow mine.
Molly Ellison
Molly Ellison marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Morgan
Morgan added it
Jan 20, 2016
Claudette Hyde
Claudette Hyde rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
Pizza
Pizza added it
Nov 20, 2013
Meghann Doyle
Meghann Doyle rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Patricia Ryan
Patricia Ryan rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2011
Janei Bee
Janei Bee rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Risha
Risha rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2011
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2011
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2010
Marcy
Marcy rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2010
Terri W
Terri W rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2010
Jennie
Jennie rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2010
Jennie
Jennie rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2010
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2010
Passed away November 14th, 2012. He was 69.

Gordon Ryan was a writer with a varied history. He lived and worked in six foreign nations and a dozen or more states, including Alaska. He served in the 1st Recon Battalion, U.S. Marine Corps in the aftermath of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and in the Air Force in Thailand during the Vietnam War. He also served as a member of the American Embassy staff in D
More about Gordon Ryan...