Start by marking “Twentieth-Century German Poetry: An Anthology” as Want to Read:
Twentieth-Century German Poetry: An Anthology

Twentieth-Century German Poetry: An Anthology

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This groundbreaking anthology will serve as the standard for years to come. Editor Michael Hofmann has assembled brilliant translations of the major German poets, from Rilke and Brecht to Durs Grunbein and Jan Wagner, in an approachable, readable, and endlessly interesting collection. Here we find poetry as a living counter-force to socio-political reality; poetry of disse ...more
Published March 18th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Twentieth-Century German Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twentieth-Century German Poetry

Blair
Jul 18, 2015 Blair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's some brilliant poetry here (Rilke, Brecht and others) but overall I found a lot of the poems to be rather inconsequential. Editor Michael Hofmann makes big claims for German poetry in his intro but his selections don't live up to his hype. There's also some weird laying out of poems and they only provide the birth/death dates for the poets, not identifying when each poem was written/published, which is annoying.
Stephen
Jan 05, 2015 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brecht's Hollywood and Los Angeles poems alone are worth the cover price.

Celan, Rilke, Brecht, Enzensberger, and Inge Müller steal the show. Thankfully short on weepy, slo-mo contemporary stuff, post-sex teardrop poetry, and that awful word "Das Kleenex".

Some of the translations seemed like looney tunes compared to the German originals, but overall worth reading in both languages.

John Felstiner's entire book of Paul Celan's poetry should be your next stop from here. Struck me as the best transla
Carmen
Aug 28, 2016 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry-drama
Snippets of poetry from many poets, I found some of my favorites among them. I enjoy Bertolt Brecht, Rilke, and am discovering Bierman.
secondwomn
Nov 11, 2014 secondwomn rated it really liked it
really 3.5 stars, i think. some real gems inside.
Susan J.
Sep 17, 2007 Susan J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Finally a collection of the amazing poets coming out of Germany during and after the war. But there are no bios and at least one of the Rilke translations is an abomination (thankfully I had a German speaking friend in the room). A good starting point for those uninitiated in contemporary German poetry (me), but I still feel betrayed.
Marc Adler
Aug 24, 2009 Marc Adler rated it it was amazing
I've been reading this book for a while, on and off. I don't read poetry books from the beginning to the end, so no page number updates, but what a great book. Great translations.
S.
Oct 07, 2008 S. rated it it was amazing
This anthology contains such excellent and important poetry. My only complaint could be there's too much Enzensberger, whom I appreciate but am not fond of. But even that I'm reconsidering.
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Emily Spiers
Emily Spiers rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Elinor
Elinor added it
May 08, 2016
Marina
Marina added it
Feb 15, 2016
Caleb Franzmann
Caleb Franzmann rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Gem Mahadeo
Gem Mahadeo marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Will Peightal
Will Peightal rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2015
Felix Purat
Felix Purat marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Frank Jones
Frank Jones rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Ryan Warren
Ryan Warren rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Donovan
Donovan rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Emily Wilkerson
Emily Wilkerson rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Liz Wehrli
Liz Wehrli rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Yvette
Yvette rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Ars Longa Vita
Ars Longa Vita marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Dimitar
Dimitar rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Rewr
Rewr rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Daniel Rounds
Daniel Rounds rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014